Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This isn't an exam where there is a correct or incorrect response, so I think trying to figure out "what they are looking for" is a bad strategy.

You would be better served to consider why they would ask this question. What would they be trying to figure out about an applicant when they look at the response to this question?

The application process is as much about getting into the RIGHT school as it is about just getting into ANY school. When a school asks a question like this, they want an open, honest and thoughtful response based on self reflection.

Trying to give a school what you think they want in an open response is a bad idea. Admissions tends to be able to see through this, and worse yet, you could end up at a school that isn't right for you.
Thank you for your response. I was not looking for a "correct" answer but rather I was trying to figure out what they meant by philosophy on the practice of medicine. I have figured it out. Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

2 people this week were added from the wait list. 2 weeks until orientation! Congrats guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if these people were contacted by phone or mail?
No idea. I just noticed that they posted on the Facebook page saying they had just been pulled off the wait list.

They don't send out secondaries to everyone, you have to meet certain criteria to get a secondary.

Hey everyone, I am applying this cycle and I just wanted to know if LUCOM gives out interviews without having LORs?

You have to have LORs to have a complete application. They won't do an interview invite without it complete. Good luck!!!

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have 2 questions for you:
1. Can you provide me with an idea of how much time you spend at school? ( so an example of a typical day)
2. I heard the school does not provide any health insurance, is this true? how do you deal with this?

I am a LUCOM student, how much time you spend depends on you, but Lectures are from 8 to noon everyday. If there is lab (two days a week) you will be there until 5PM. If there is not lab you will likely have one more lecture after lunch, but this varies. Generally we are done before noon on fridays. Tests are every two weeks on Mondays which obviously varies the schedule.

As for the health insurance, no school "provides" health insurance, but at this time we were not offered a health insurance plan which we could pay for. You just had to seek out your own plan that met their standards, was not a big deal. I do believe they will be offering a standard plan next year which you can accept if you want to, or you can take your own health insurance in as long as it meets the standards.

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have 2 questions for you:.
1. Can you provide me with an idea of how much time you spend at school? ( so an example of a typical day).
2. I heard the school does not provide any health insurance, is this true? how do you deal with this?.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a LUCOM student, how much time you spend depends on you, but Lectures are from 8 to noon everyday. If there is lab (two days a week) you will be there until 5PM. If there is not lab you will likely have one more lecture after lunch, but this varies. Generally we are done before noon on fridays. Tests are every two weeks on Mondays which obviously varies the schedule.

As for the health insurance, no school "provides" health insurance, but at this time we were not offered a health insurance plan which we could pay for. You just had to seek out your own plan that met their standards, was not a big deal. I do believe they will be offering a standard plan next year which you can accept if you want to, or you can take your own health insurance in as long as it meets the standards.

Great thank you very much

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have 2 questions for you:.
1. Can you provide me with an idea of how much time you spend at school? ( so an example of a typical day).
2. I heard the school does not provide any health insurance, is this true? how do you deal with this?.
A typical school day with the anatomy labs or OMM labs would be 8-5, but on a day without labs, we usually get out around 3pm.

Also for the health insurance, they don't provide health insurance, but if you are under age 26 and not married, then you can remain on your parents' health insurance, which is what I am doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even more important information for you to know is that 140/160 students failed their last anatomy practical, so the school cancelled fall break for extra instruction.

Don't go to a new school if you can help it. They don't know how to teach the students :)

Reactions: 1 users
Even more important information for you to know is that 140/160 students failed their last anatomy practical, so the school cancelled fall break for extra instruction.

Don't go to a new school if you can help it. They don't know how to teach the students :)

Hi Roboto. Are you a LUCOM student? What is the problem there? I assume most of the students put enough time and effort on it. Thanks for your input.

Really?

I'm not a LUCOM student but am friends with several of them.

Don't know what specifically led to the incredibly high failure rate on this practical. I'd heard the average test score was in the low 80s until this point.

Some of the students do put in the necessary time, others don't (just like at every other school).

Hi Roboto. Are you a LUCOM student? What is the problem there? I assume most of the students put enough time and effort on it. Thanks for your input.

Well if you're friends with so many LUCOM students, they would've told you that yes, 140/160 failed one of the lab practicals (worth about 13% of our total grade) and the dean figured it wasn't taught sufficiently. They didn't cancel fall break, they moved the final test until after fall break so that we would have more time to study and they scheduled a retake of the 13% practical we failed after all the anatomy profs spend more time in the lab with us. So....the dean could've let us keep a horrible grade that stays on our record...or he could allow us to retake it since we kinda need to know upper limb anatomy.

Posting your "insight" on SDN isn't necessary since you don't actually attend this school. If all of your LUCOM friends don't post it, it's probably because they realized its unprofessional to gossip or vent on a public forum. Or I guess if they are that upset, there are probably hundreds of people who didn't get in that would gladly take their spot. As physicians, our plans will change in an instant if our patients get sick. I guess we should get used to it. So they gave us an extra week to study for this exam....I guess it really could've been worse.

Trust me, other schools could care less if you pass anatomy or get a bad grade. LUCOM cares about your success when you're actually in 3rd/4th year and in residency.

If you wouldnt mind I have 2 more followup questions:

1) Is this only during the basics sciences or when you also start systems
2) If tests are every 2 weeks on Mondays do you have multiple exams on those Mondays?

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have a question for you

Do you ever have multiple exams during the same week or on the same day?

Any current LUCOM students out there? I have a question for you

Do you ever have multiple exams during the same week or on the same day?
Yes sometimes we have multiple exams per week or day. Like November for example - last month of the trimester so we will have omm final and practical, patient centered medicine quiz, final, and standardized patient, and our 3rd block class which has 2 exams, a quiz and a practical. Next week we don't have anything but it gets crazy after that haha. In my opinion, today was my last free Saturday until Christmas break. But we get a whole month off after that :)

Yes sometimes we have multiple exams per week or day. Like November for example - last month of the trimester so we will have omm final and practical, patient centered medicine quiz, final, and standardized patient, and our 3rd block class which has 2 exams, a quiz and a practical. Next week we don't have anything but it gets crazy after that haha. In my opinion, today was my last free Saturday until Christmas break. But we get a whole month off after that :)

Thank you!

Hi, it says the first deposit includes a computer, could you tell me what type of computer the students use at Liberty?