LIU c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone who has received a waitlist email did you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted as well and I interviewed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that COVID19 is going to have an epic impact on the economy for a long time. You may not be graduating for four years, but the effects will still be evident. The last recession resulted in a lot of new grads struggling to find jobs. Everyone in 2021 onward will have the same difficulties. So picking schools that 1) have a solid reputation and 2) have a cheaper price tag will make life much easier. Unfortunately, there will still be discrimination based on where people went to school; the island students still deal with this to a small extent. Then, salaries are going to be depressed along with job numbers. Having a smaller debt load will make the stress of finding/keeping a job with a lower salary easier in the long run.

It's unfortunate, but life is going to suck for vet med for a while. This is a very important time to be thinking 20 years ahead rather than just 4 or 5.
I have to agree with this post in general, meaning that the fact that tuition alone is $55k a year is something to highly consider, especially with the ramifications that COVID19 is going to have. The part I disagree with is the island student remark. Ross alone has over 5,000 alumni, most (if not all) veterinary clinics have an island student graduate. There’s far less negative connotations with being an island student than what most think.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also - anyone trying to decide between LIU and another school?

I'm waitlisted at Michigan and I have an offer from Prince Edward Island. Every vet I've asked has told me "hand down" don't go to LIU because a new school is so risky and PEI would be much better. I'm wondering if anyone else has had recommendations/advice or what your thought process in deciding is?

I'm in similar situation. I agree with what others mentioned before that $ is a big factor when considering which school to attend. I have family and my kid does performing arts heavily in and out of school, so Long Island is a great location for us. I have an offer from Ireland; the living cost is high over there as well, but the tuition is a bit less. It's going to be a big move for the whole family no matter what.

The part I disagree with is the island student remark. Ross alone has over 5,000 alumni, most (if not all) veterinary clinics have an island student graduate. There’s far less negative connotations with being an island student than what most think.

We have multiple Rossies on our faculty who graduated between 2010 and 2015. They have all discussed issues they had in their advanced training and finding jobs in being compared to more established schools. I also have more recently graduated friends who have experienced the same.

I didnt say it was prevalent. I said it exists.

Reactions: 4 users
Still have not heard anything this is getting crazy

They emailed me today and said that decisions were being made today and that they would email by today its almost 9pm how is it some people hear back and some don't

Still nothing!!! They haven’t even answered my email that I sent

Members don't see this ad :)
Any accepted who want to chat, feel free to message! I got my letter on the 16th and am excited to meet my peers ☺️

Has anyone heard back today that has not received any emails?

Just got an invite to interview

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Okay first of all, how rude, second—what date is the interview with national decision day being in 15 days

Okay first of all, how rude, second—what date is the interview with national decision day being in 15 days
It would have been Wednesday (that would have only been a 2 day notice) and they had already told me I was on the wait list. So when I emailed and asked about it they said my waitlist spot was "pending the interview". I declined the interview offer. Not worth all the trouble to go to a school which I think is not going to be a good fit for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I have spoken to some vets about LIU and they said going to vet school is stressful enough, you don’t need the extra stress of going to a school that doesn’t seem like they have it all together! And it’s a big risk to take going to a school that is just being built and not knowing much about it/facilities vs going to one that is known. Just thought I would share!

I have spoken to some vets about LIU and they said going to vet school is stressful enough, you don’t need the extra stress of going to a school that doesn’t seem like they have it all together! And it’s a big risk to take going to a school that is just being built and not knowing much about it/facilities vs going to one that is known. Just thought I would share!
I completely agree. Especially with the cost. It's not worth the risk on your veterinary career. We all deserve more.

I completely agree. Especially with the cost. It's not worth the risk on your veterinary career. We all deserve more.

yes! And of course they included the cost in this argument as well. We are all going to be in a lot of debt, so any way that we can decrease the debt is important(at least to me)!!! I got waitlisted at LIU and considering how long it took them to get decisions out we need to let other schools know by April 15th, I feel as if we won’t know what’s going on by then and we can’t risk losing our spots at other schools!

There was a super comprehensive opinion piece of this school on another thread at SDN:

Maybe something to consider while the commitment deadline approaches

Emailed again, still nothing. Really wishing I didn’t waste my time and money applying to this school

I have not heard anything but they finally answered my email yesterday and said they are working on reviewing it and will get back to me whenever they finish... like honestly even if I were to get in or waitlisted I do not think I would accept.. they have not sent rejections waiting to see if they get 100 students.

Did anyone get an email like this that hadn’t been accepted or interviewed??

Attachments

• 708BECA0-00D5-4BA7-9E3F-C08F713C2451.jpeg
    708BECA0-00D5-4BA7-9E3F-C08F713C2451.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 179
So did everyone get that email about financial aid and scholarships? I turned down my application months ago :wtf:

Reactions: 3 users
So did everyone get that email about financial aid and scholarships? I turned down my application months ago :wtf:

I also got that email. But I was waitlisted. I was kinda hoping that it was a good sign but I guess not, if everyone got it lol

I also got that email but I never heard anything from them since I sent in my application....

Hey everyone.

I just had an interview today at LIU and was wondering when anyone heard a response after the interview process. Thanks.

Hey everyone.

I just had an interview today at LIU and was wondering when anyone heard a response after the interview process. Thanks.
Was your interview for waitlist or for regular admissions?

Also - anyone trying to decide between LIU and another school?

I'm waitlisted at Michigan and I have an offer from Prince Edward Island. Every vet I've asked has told me "hand down" don't go to LIU because a new school is so risky and PEI would be much better. I'm wondering if anyone else has had recommendations/advice or what your thought process in deciding is?

I am trying to decide between LIU and SGU! I am also waitlisted at Michigan, Midwestern, and Iowa. I have been told similar things. I decided to reach out to LIU to set up a ~Zoom~ meeting and ask some questions. I'll let you know how it goes and what I can find out. If there is anything in particular you want to know, let me know and I can ask for you! Good luck!

• Love
I am trying to decide between LIU and SGU! I am also waitlisted at Michigan, Midwestern, and Iowa. I have been told similar things. I decided to reach out to LIU to set up a ~Zoom~ meeting and ask some questions. I'll let you know how it goes and what I can find out. If there is anything in particular you want to know, let me know and I can ask for you! Good luck!
Thank you so much! I don’t think I have any questions really. Best of luck to you! Maybe we’ll end up in school together somewhere.

• Love
Declined my seat. Best of luck to all still waiting!