Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted to both of these schools, I was wondering if I could get some SDNers take on their pros and cons of each school, and which one to pick if given the choice. Right now I'm leaning towards Loyola Chicago, I really enjoyed my interview there and the feel of the medical school and the students. Rush was nice too, but I didn't get that same feeling. I've heard good things about both programs so I thought it would be interesting to compare these two schools, thanks.

BTC

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What was your impression? I never interviewed at Loyola but everyone who has ever spoken of it hasn't had a bad thing to say.

I did interview at Rush. I was not impressed. Its a state school with an old curriculum at a private school price.

Personally, I think you will get a more dynamic class and experience at Loyola.

littlejuan

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
What was your impression? I never interviewed at Loyola but everyone who has ever spoken of it hasn't had a bad thing to say.

I did interview at Rush. I was not impressed. Its a state school with an old curriculum at a private school price.

Personally, I think you will get a more dynamic class and experience at Loyola.

That is not true. They will have a new curriculum in place for the 2014 class. It's either system based or organ based, not sure which.

Rush is a private institution, just like Loyola: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Medical_College

They will also have a brand new hospital up and running for the rotation years (3rd & 4th).

Last edited:

BTC

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I know its technically private. I don't know the exact number but the vast majority of students are illinois residents because it is subsidized by the state. Unfortunately, none of that subsidy comes the students' way in the form of lower tuition.

I'm not try to bash. Just trying to be honest. I guess my curriculum info is outdated.

Go to second look at both and see where you feel like you belong. Your fellow classmates will the most important factor in determining your experience in medical school.

littlejuan

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I know its technically private. I don't know the exact number but the vast majority of students are illinois residents because it is subsidized by the state. Unfortunately, none of that subsidy comes the students' way in the form of lower tuition.

I'm not try to bash. Just trying to be honest. I guess my curriculum info is outdated.

Go to second look at both and see where you feel like you belong. Your fellow classmates will the most important factor in determining your experience in medical school.

It's not technically private. It is private, and your previous post was quite misleading. Both schools are private with similar tuition. Loyola had $39,200 for 2009-2010, and Rush lists $46,272 for 2010-2011. One thing to note is that Rush's tuition number includes all extra fees. I don't know about Loyola, but most schools leave off those fees when they list their tuition numbers.

I also received this e-mail from the dean of Rush the other day:

As a prospective student to Rush Medical College, I wanted to bring you up-to-date on an important announcement that has been made.

In the past, Rush Medical College tuition rates have increased by 3-5% per year. Mindful of the economic stresses affecting many students, I am pleased to announce that the tuition rates will be held constant for Rush Medical College for 2010-2011.

Effective summer term 2010, regular tuition rates for Rush Medical College for 2010-2011 will be:
. $46,272 for first-year students, and
. $45,804 for second-, third- and fourth-year students.

Institutional grant levels for 2010-2011 will also remain constant from 2009-2010.

Holding tuition rates steady this year while also maintaining grant support, will help to reduce the heavy debt burden to our students, putting Rush at or below the median rate of student indebtedness for private schools.

Rush is completing a philanthropic Campaign for Rush that had as its goal to raise $20 million dollars for student scholarships. This campaign has been incredibly successful and has surpassed its goal, with pledges now totaling over $23 million dollars.

The next several years at Rush and in health care will be exciting and challenging. I look forward to working with all of you to ensure the brightest future for Rush.
I don't know how much money Loyola has for scholarships, so I can't really compare, but I thought that this information might be useful for the OP.

As far as comparing the schools, if you can, try to go to each of their Second Look days, and get a feel for the school/community.

Sep 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You should consider where you'll want to be living for the next 4 years. I interviewed at both...I withdrew from Loyola and am still considering Rush. Growing up outside of Chicago, I knew I didn't want to live in Maywood. I also wasn't crazy about living a few towns from campus, needing to buy a car, and paying for gas/parking. Also, Loyola's campus is a lot like a traditional college campus, which is something I have always kind of avoided. While everyone was really really nice at Loyola, Rush seems like a better fit for me. But everyone is different!

MaryLennox

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i like that Rush Medical College isn't its own separate building. I like how its intergrated with everything else. (which a lot of people don't like, and these people would prefer loyola) I like that it's in the medical district. I am really excited about the new hospital. their anatomy lab is way better than loyola's.

i think that loyola is a perfectly good school, but i am glad to be going to Rush. Loyola didn't interview me, but I don't mind because I know I'd have chosen Rush anyway.

oh and loyola is a catholic school, so ladies, their insurance does not cover your contraception or dr's appointments related to such . . . well at least thats how it is for the grad school, maybe they pay for the med students.

womp

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Maywood is pretty ghetto. It's bordered by the biggest cemetery I have ever seen. Creepily, Loyola is right across from it too.

abmd

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2009
USA
Status
Medical Student
Disclaimer: I go to Rush ...

but I really like as do all my friends in my class. We get really good clinical experience (some other med schools in chicago don't get much/anything at all before 3rd year). everyone is really social and we have a lot of fun. the new hospital is amazing, it is green, got all this new technology etc etc. rush is also west loop 5 mins from downtown. most of the profs are really good/helpful, good syllabi. i would choose rush again.

Dec 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the feedback everyone, its been really helpful! I guess I should be a bit more specific when I say what things appealed to me about each schools... so I suppose I'll be cliche and do a pros cons list.

Rush:

Pros: :thumbup:
In the medical district with access to Crook County, UIC, Rush hospitals
New hospital building which will be completed by M3 and M4 rotations
Received a small grant
Near downtown
Seemed like a fun student population

Cons: :thumbdown:
New hospital won't be completed until M3/M4 (i guess this isn't too much of a con as I won't be spending a whole lot of time there M1 and M2)
Lack of facilities and resources that are available at a REAL university (undergrad + grad) ie gym, sports, clubs, etc
Medical school building (it just didn't seem as cohesive as Loyola Chicago's design where everything is in ONE building)

PRO/CON
New Curriculum next year, who knows how that will affect things, I'd hope it would be a positive.

Loyola Chicago:

Pros :thumbup:

Great medical school design (open atrium area, common spaces for studying, all in one design, gym nearby (++++), everything in the area connected by tunnels for Chicago winters
Curriculum (hasn't been changed too recently, good residency matches)
Facilities (gym, undergrad campus, sports etc)
Jesuit (I went to a jesuit undergrad and loved it)
Student friendliness (the host I stayed with and all the students I met were super enthusiastic about the school)

Cons :thumbdown:
Not in the city
Not the most accessible by the L (bus ok)
I haven't gotten an aid package yet but don't anticipate getting anything.
Maywood, need I say more?
Maywood.
Maywood.

Alright, that's my breakdown, anything I'm forgetting?

Reactions: oshanimalia
Sep 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the feedback everyone, its been really helpful! I guess I should be a bit more specific when I say what things appealed to me about each schools... so I suppose I'll be cliche and do a pros cons list.

Rush:

Pros: :thumbup:
In the medical district with access to Crook County, UIC, Rush hospitals
New hospital building which will be completed by M3 and M4 rotations
Received a small grant
Near downtown
Seemed like a fun student population

Cons: :thumbdown:
New hospital won't be completed until M3/M4 (i guess this isn't too much of a con as I won't be spending a whole lot of time there M1 and M2)
Lack of facilities and resources that are available at a REAL university (undergrad + grad) ie gym, sports, clubs, etc
Medical school building (it just didn't seem as cohesive as Loyola Chicago's design where everything is in ONE building)

PRO/CON
New Curriculum next year, who knows how that will affect things, I'd hope it would be a positive.

Loyola Chicago:

Pros :thumbup:

Great medical school design (open atrium area, common spaces for studying, all in one design, gym nearby (++++), everything in the area connected by tunnels for Chicago winters
Curriculum (hasn't been changed too recently, good residency matches)
Facilities (gym, undergrad campus, sports etc)
Jesuit (I went to a jesuit undergrad and loved it)
Student friendliness (the host I stayed with and all the students I met were super enthusiastic about the school)

Cons :thumbdown:
Not in the city
Not the most accessible by the L (bus ok)
I haven't gotten an aid package yet but don't anticipate getting anything.
Maywood, need I say more?
Maywood.
Maywood.

Alright, that's my breakdown, anything I'm forgetting?

How'd you find out you got a grant? Have you received your financial aid info yet, or was that told to you separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.