Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Likewise you're ignoring that traditionally they pull people off the wait list when a person doesn't make their deposit date/ rejects their acceptance. So likewise that's a factor that muddles the whole thing.

I'd imagine it was at least 2x-2.5x off the wait list tbh. I don't imagine they called 40 people and they all said yes, especially if they were still calling in June. Chances are 80 is a good number for getting off the wait list. That being said, I've never been asked to reconfirm my interest in the alt list tho. Is that something that happens later in the interview cycle when they start majorly pulling?

But yah, again, the issue is that last year's app cycle cannot be easily compared to this year and I think the applying populations for this and last year are different enough to harm any possible metric. But my belief either through me trying to stay optimistic or through just comparing other schools with the stat range is that there will be a solid amount of wait list movement as the school's accepted stats this year are higher and the population likely less much less Indiana representative.

Members don't see this ad.

In mid-April, MU-COM will ask candidates to confirm their desire to stay on the alternate list after May 1st.

Admissions

So is the first going to be a major movement day? Like will all class seats not already full be given to waitlisters and after that will be slow movement till the first day?

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM

Is it possible for an applicant with a Caribbean MD to gain admission to your school?
I had a good reason to go Caribbean before ( since I was not a US citizen) but now I have a green card and will stay here. I just want to be the best doctor I can be so I need to repeat medical school. I did not match for 3 years and I need to keep my medical credentials fresh.

I have a 30 MCAT from 2005 but I suppose I would need to retake it which isn't a problem. Thank you for any information.

Wouldn't you have to retake the STEPS and the licensing exams? Seems like that would be a problem if you've already done them before...

How much snow does Indianapolis get throughout the year? How cold can it get in the winter?

How much snow does Indianapolis get throughout the year? How cold can it get in the winter?

Usually not too much snow (maybe 2 or so snowstorms is all), but it can get cold. This year was an exception with 55" snow and days where we had windchills around -50. (And we're supposed to get snow again tomorrow!) But it's usually not this bad. And honestly, after the first month of cold, you get used to it.

Can someone tell me when the 2014-2015 academic year starts and we would need to be in Indianapolis for orientation, etc.? Thanks!

Can someone tell me when the 2014-2015 academic year starts and we would need to be in Indianapolis for orientation, etc.? Thanks!

The info is in Volume 3 of the DO Series in the portal under the "Important Dates" section.
  • Orientation: August 4-6, 2014
  • First Two Days of Classes: August 7-8, 2014
  • White Coat Ceremony: August 10, 2014
  • Classes Continue: August 11, 2014
Admissions

Let's toast to a healthy amount of alt list movement.
will be withdrawing my acceptance from MUCOM - hope my spot goes to you!! MUCOM is a truly exceptional school and the faculty/staff were incredibly welcoming on my interview day! i'd really love to attend but i just got into a school closer to home. good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Optimistgirl :) Best of luck with your new future career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of the candidate who interviewed om March 21 and 22 has been accepted, alternate list, or rejection?
Today is the day that MUCOM gives out the decision.
So quiet!

Any of the candidate who interviewed om March 21 and 22 has been accepted, alternate list, or rejection?
Today is the day that MUCOM gives out the decision.
So quiet!

A Friday decision?

Do we know when they will be reviewing the alternate list for April? Will it most likely be more towards the end of the month?

Do we know when they will be reviewing the alternate list for April? Will it most likely be more towards the end of the month?
They'll probably review it at or after the 17th. Probably closer to the 30th though.

On a related topic, how's the driving in Indy in the winter? Do any current students think an AWD/4WD car is an absolute necessity or could I get away with my RWD Mustang with nice Blizzak snow tires, kitty litter in the trunk, etc.? It'd be nice to not have to sell my baby/ have an excuse to take a long roadtrip with her from the West Coast :p

On a related topic, how's the driving in Indy in the winter? Do any current students think an AWD/4WD car is an absolute necessity or could I get away with my RWD Mustang with nice Blizzak snow tires, kitty litter in the trunk, etc.? It'd be nice to not have to sell my baby/ have an excuse to take a long roadtrip with her from the West Coast :p
Generally you'll be ok. I'd say that most folks do not have AWD/4WD and get by just fine. This year was an exception I think because of the freakishly snowy winter and the horrible road maintence. In those conditions, AWD/4WD will obviously make it easier/safer to be driving around...but again, from my experience it isn't mandatory. In other words, Don't sell your baby!

Thanks Kenobi, I can rest easy now.

(Nobody tell my gf i called my car 'my baby' haha)

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions,

I'm currently on the wait list and wish to write a Letter of Intent. Who/where should I send it to?

This is going to be a long month of waiting haha...

Does anyone know what day the class of 2018 will start their second year? Or at least for reference what day the class of 2017 will start? Trying to plan a wedding for the summer between OMS1 and OMS2. Thanks!

Class of 2017 will start year 2 on August 11, 2014
Class of 2018 is projected to start year 2 on August 10, 2015

Admissions

Hello Admissions,

It was mentioned that the quartile can change from what was informed before - Might go up or down.

Will the current "quartile status" be mentioned in the alternate list confirmation email which you are planning to send ? That would definitely be helpful to know where we are in the list (from what it was to what it is now!)

Thanks a lot

Hello Admissions,

It was mentioned that the quartile can change from what was informed before - Might go up or down.

Will the current "quartile status" be mentioned in the alternate list confirmation email which you are planning to send ? That would definitely be helpful to know where we are in the list (from what it was to what it is now!)

Thanks a lot

It would be amazing to know this tbh. But I don't think they update, which kinda stinks for people on the waitlist over 6 months. I mean I'll genuinely laugh if I'm in 4th quart now or something.

Hello Admissions,

Thanks a lot

It will not.

Admissions

I'm a little worried. I applied to 2 schools only (due to financial hardship), and have my heart set on MU-COM. However.. I had to apply late but made all the deadlines... and now worry if I used up my little resources to apply and not be considered.
I have a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 Science, 25 on MCAT. However, I performed a lot of community service, including in the medical field.

Is there seats open for the 2014 entering class? Am I competitive enough to be considered or did I just blow money I barely had?

I'm more scared because on the question regarding staying in IN I spoke the truth, I live in an area that has the poorest community in the country (in Illinois) and would love to return and serve this community.

I'm a little worried. I applied to 2 schools only (due to financial hardship), and have my heart set on MU-COM. However.. I had to apply late but made all the deadlines... and now worry if I used up my little resources to apply and not be considered.
I have a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 Science, 25 on MCAT. However, I performed a lot of community service, including in the medical field.

Is there seats open for the 2014 entering class? Am I competitive enough to be considered or did I just blow money I barely had?

I'm more scared because on the question regarding staying in IN I spoke the truth, I live in an area that has the poorest community in the country (in Illinois) and would love to return and serve this community.

If you have an interview invite then you have a chance as they don't interview for waitlist spots. That being said if you haven't you're unfortunately too late as their last interview week is next week.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the area surrounding mucom. I did some research and I found that 2 of the neighborhoods surrounding mucom are listed as 2 of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, which is a bit scary. I wanted to know if it’s really that bad. Do students stay late at night to study? Is it safe to go to the parking lot at night? How about driving home at night? I know that the curriculum is top notch but this concerns me. Please if any of the current students could shed some light on how dangerous the area really is. I would greatly appreciate it.

Are you guys sure? It wouldn't make sense that they accepted applications until 4/1/14 if that was the case.
Theoretically if you're an applicant they want, they could have called you this week and invite you for next. I think you wasted your money, and now you'll be a re-applicant with nothing new in your file. I don't know about MU, but some places consider a duplicate application the next season to be enough reason to reject you.

Yes, I understand the next cycle is in 2 months, but that doesn't mean you can reapply unprepared. Maybe you'll need a gap year.

Are you guys sure? It wouldn't make sense that they accepted applications until 4/1/14 if that was the case.

Yes, admission directly mentioned it. And they probably were content with what they had and felt no more need to interview. They've been competitive this year and their waitlist is packed full of qualified applicants. So unfortunately you missed your shot.

Spend your time bettering your application and apply early next cycle.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the area surrounding mucom. I did some research and I found that 2 of the neighborhoods surrounding mucom are listed as 2 of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, which is a bit scary. I wanted to know if it’s really that bad. Do students stay late at night to study? Is it safe to go to the parking lot at night? How about driving home at night? I know that the curriculum is top notch but this concerns me. Please if any of the current students could shed some light on how dangerous the area really is. I would greatly appreciate it.

The neighborhood immediately surrounding Marian is not the best. However, I always feel safe at school. There is campus security presence at all hours and the building requires a key card for entry. Parking lots are well lit. I'm certainly aware of my surroundings when I leave late at night, but I feel reasonably safe. I haven't heard of any security issues regarding the medical school whatsoever. That being said (aside from campus housing), I wouldn't want to LIVE in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the school. Personally, I live about 10 minutes away in downtown and feel quite safe there.

MUCOM,

will the waitlist be reviewed more than once a month after the last interview date? Or will the frequency remain the same?

Admissions or others who know,

When is the $2000 tuition deposit due by? Is it May 1st?

Thanks

The neighborhood right around MUCOM is not the best. However, I've never felt unsafe going to/from school. There are nights where I've stayed until 1am studying and I've never felt unsafe walking to my car. (That being said, if you do feel unsafe, you can call the campus police officers on duty and they'll come walk you to your car.) There have been a few break-ins on campus, but you'll have those at most universities (bad people are everywhere, unfortunately). Like Indy118 said, I would not feel comfortable living in the immediate area. But as for going to/from and being on campus late, I've always felt safe.
And this is coming from a person who is used to living in a small town and never locking the car or house doors at night. Feel free to PM if you want more details or reassurance!

MUCOM,

will the waitlist be reviewed more than once a month after the last interview date? Or will the frequency remain the same?

It will be reviewed on an as needed basis.

Admissions

Admissions or others who know,

When is the $2000 tuition deposit due by? Is it May 1st?

Thanks

It is due May 1st. If you have been admitted, this information is in the portal.

Admissions