Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate listed

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED:soexcited:omg omg omg omg omg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted early this afternoon. For those rejected or placed on the alternate list, don't be too disheartened. This was my third application cycle: rejection, alternate list, and finally acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm beyond excited to be a part of MU-COM's Class of 2019 - accepted early this afternoon. For those rejected or placed on the alternate list, don't be too disheartened. This was my third application cycle: rejection, alternate list, and finally acceptance. Put simply, this is the school I want to attend and I couldn't be happier.
Congrats!

Mind posting a synopsis of the school environment, surrounding community, lifestyle etc?

Got an II early today at 2pm!! My first of the season due to a late letter of rec submission (secondary submitted in July, but letters submitted 2 weeks ago). I'M SO HAPPY!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!

Mind posting a synopsis of the school environment, surrounding community, lifestyle etc?
Not at all. Several students have discussed the school and Indianapolis in threads from previous years, so be sure to look there because their advice helped me greatly.

You'll get mixed opinions regarding the area surrounding the school. I know a few students who live within walking distance and they love it. Others swear they won't live any closer than their 30-minute commute from neighboring Carmel. I live in a quiet neighborhood less than 10 minutes from campus and don't mind the area, but am considering relocating for other amenities. Ultimately you'll need to visit and figure that part out on your own.

When you say "lifestyle," what do you mean? I grew up in central Phoenix and the essentials seem comparable... except there's a pond in my backyard and leaves here change color in the fall. Indianapolis isn't a one-dimensional place. You can find trendy arts districts just as easily as you can find farmers blocking traffic and young men blasting rap music. Truly the Crossroads of America, the Indianapolis metropolitan area is a microcosm of the nation.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing on Oct 3. Anyone want to split a hotel or rental car. I'll be in Indianapolis the 2nd thru the 4th

Members don't see this ad :)
All alternate list emails were sent yesterday around 12:15 PM. Did you check your junk mail?

Admissions

Yes I did and there is nothing. Last email I received was on September 18th stating that my file would be looked at next week.

So @MUCOM , does the alt list work that if someone declines their acceptance, you guys save that slot for someone on the list? I can't remember the details from the interview presentation.

Scheduled interview for Oct 17th - blue group! Shout out to everyone else who will be interviewing on that day :)

Yes I did and there is nothing. Last email I received was on September 18th stating that my file would be looked at next week.

We can resend or you can check the Communication Status sub-tab from the Check Your Status tab in the portal.

Admissions

So @MUCOM , does the alt list work that if someone declines their acceptance, you guys save that slot for someone on the list? I can't remember the details from the interview presentation.

Not necessarily. The seat goes back in the pool of 162 to be offered to interviewees or alternate list candidates.

Admissions

Not necessarily. The seat goes back in the pool of 162 to be offered to interviewees or alternate list candidates.

Admissions

OK interesting. So how exactly do you determine if someone is eligible for an acceptance off the alternate list?

OK interesting. So how exactly do you determine if someone is eligible for an acceptance off the alternate list?

The Admissions Committee is tasked with determining who is "most highly admissible." For this reason, we review the alternate list regularly. If you accept the alternate list, you will stay on it until one of three things happen: you're admitted, rejected, or no longer interested in MU-COM [meaning you've decided to attend elsewhere]. If your status changes, we update you.

Admissions

The Admissions Committee is tasked with determining who is "most highly admissible." For this reason, we review the alternate list regularly. If you accept the alternate list, you will stay on it until one of three things happen: you're admitted, rejected, or no longer interested in MU-COM [meaning you've decided to attend elsewhere]. If your status changes, we update you.

Admissions

Thanks so much for the clarification

Initial interview decisions have been released for this week.

Admissions

Eagerly waiting for my application to be completed! MUCOM is definitely my #1 choice.

Initial interview decisions have been released for this week.

Admissions

till what date of the completed files, if you dont mind me asking? Thank you so much!

till what date of the completed files, if you dont mind me asking? Thank you so much!

It varies. We are still taking 3 weeks +/- to make interview decisions.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I'm going to be in town the Oct. 2nd for the Oct. 3rd interview day. I know people are mentioning need rental cars and whatnot. I live in Chicago, so I'll be driving, and if anyone needs a ride to the school I'd be happy to help. I know this application process has taken a toll on our wallets, so if anyone was going to take a cab or pay for a rental, just let me know and I can pick you up.
Same - I'm from the area and interviewing with the PM group. Planning to leave work around 11, so let me know if you need a lift to the interview!!

I submitted my primary application about a month ago, but processing only began about two weeks ago this coming Wednesday. About how long did it take for primary applications to become fully processed? How long did it take to receive secondary application materials from Marian?

Many thanks.

I submitted my primary application about a month ago, but processing only began about two weeks ago this coming Wednesday. About how long did it take for primary applications to become fully processed? How long did it take to receive secondary application materials from Marian?

Many thanks.

Verification at AACOMAS is currently taking 6 weeks.

MU-COM

Many thanks.
AACOMAS moves at whatever pace suits them - you can reach out to their customer service reps but it won't affect your processing time. Marian, though, has a quick turnaround on their decisions.

AACOMAS complete 6/1
Primary received 6/20
Supplemental invite 6/25
Application complete 7/3

My secondary application got completed today. But I recently started taking some additional courses including retakes at nearby college which hasn't been updated in my primary application (they just received the transcript today) Thus, I was wondering if I should inform the admission's office about the courses that I am taking right now. If so, who should I email to?

Thank you

I would definitely call AACOMAS periodically. I had ordered a transcript and over a month later, I was wondering where it had gone because it still had not been listed as "logged" by AACOMAS. I called because if the transcript hadn't been delivered in a month, perhaps it had been lost in the mail. Interestingly enough, after I called AACOMAS and they told me the transcript had not been received, it appeared as logged later that day.

Similarly, I waited the full six weeks and my primary application had yet to have been processed. I wrote an email and the next day my application was completed. Coincidence? Perhaps. I understand that they are very, very busy, but a friendly, polite call to inquire about your application can't hurt any!

Good luck!

P.S. Even better than calling is the support tab in the upper-right corner, where you can email them. They are usually prompt with their replies.
This is certainly sound advice. I probably contacted them too many times and got on their nerves.

Edit: last cycle, that is. Processing was quick this time around.

My secondary application got completed today. But I recently started taking some additional courses including retakes at nearby college which hasn't been updated in my primary application (they just received the transcript today) Thus, I was wondering if I should inform the admission's office about the courses that I am taking right now. If so, who should I email to?

Thank you
They addressed this on last cycle's thread. Keep in mind they may place your file on hold pending grades.
Once the update is verified by AACOMAS, MU-COM will receive a revised application.

Admissions

Thank you

It is best to keep your AACOMAS application updated with any and all changes. Updates generally take less time that initial verification.

MU-COM permits only one direct update throughout the entire process.

Admissions

Initial interview decisions will be released throughout this week.

MU-COM

Does anybody know if they provide lunch for the 1pm interviews?

For the sociology requirement, does the class have to be an introductory level sociology class or am I able to take an upper-level course?

For the sociology requirement, does the class have to be an introductory level sociology class or am I able to take an upper-level course?
Did you see this post?
While MU-COM believes applicants will be served better throughout their career if they take sociology and psychology, it has been decided recently to honor the letter and the spirit of the behavior science prerequisites for this year only. For this reason, the following will be acceptable:
  • 3 soc and 3 psych
  • 6 soc
  • 6 psych
  • 6 behavioral science
Our clear preference, as indicated on our website and in our viewbook, is 3 credits of sociology and psychology. All applicants are encouraged to review their AACOMAS application to see if deficiencies exist.

Hope this helps,
Admissions
It looks like they're operating with a pretty loose definition of the courses that meet the requirement for 2015.

for those who have been accepted: has anyone seen the "Conditions of Acceptance and Enrollment" on the portal yet?

It has been a few weeks since my LORs were downloaded,but no response yet ,should I call the admissions dept ?

Wow I'm actually here in Indy for an interview. Can't wait for tomorrow

Just interviewed. The MMI was actually pretty fun. Marian had a lot of convincing reasons to go to the school, I would be thrilled to get an acceptance here.

Reactions: 3 users