Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Baxt1412 I of course want to develop religious knowledge as far as treatment acceptability, but I'd be more appreciative if it were elective.

i can understand that as well. i felt that before at my school from time to time, but not through classes.. more often the assumptions of other people or little comments people would make..

Members don't see this ad.

If a patient wants a procedure or treatment that I believe to be detrimental to the patient's physical or spiritual health, then I would recommend them to see another physician.

Of course you could refer your abortion-seeking patients elsewhere, but that act alone would stand in direct opposition to the Church's message. The issue at hand here is not whether you can direct your patients to the care they're seeking, but rather that your hands will be tied if you practice medicine strictly from the Catholic perspective. You'll be working in an environment where certain procedures or interventions are simply forbidden. Additionally, students are calling attention to the post-matriculation change in the school's dogma from Secular, but Associated with Catholics to We're Catholic and so Are You.

I spent 12 years in Catholic / Jesuit education. It's important to note that during this time I was not responsible for anyone's life and could not impact the decisions they made with their bodies. Medical professionals clearly have greater responsibilities.

Reactions: 1 user
Well this is disappointing. Thanks for the information, though!

Although Catholicism is not directly taught in our curriculum (so far), the Catholic message gets pushed a lot in the form of a "Spirituality" course they want the whole school to sign up for, weekly emails from the nuns about Mass and other church events around campus, as well as including some of the heavily Catholic figures as guest panelists in classes like Intro to Clinical Med during ethical discussions (which is when you'll figure out which of your classmates are intolerant). Oh, and they also sneak in an occasional prayer - such as at your White Coat Ceremony.

The addition of these 5 very important words seems to have occurred in the time between when I was accepted to the COM and when I looked at it recently after we were given a 90 minute lecture specifically on Catholic medical ethics that was a part of our curriculum for the Introduction to Clinical Medicine course, was required for us to attend and we have confirmed with the course directors is testable material. There are other options for us to learn about non-Christian and non-Catholic Christian medical ethics but these are not a part of the curriculum, attendance is not required and we will not be tested on the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you could refer your abortion-seeking patients elsewhere, but that act alone would stand in direct opposition to the Church's message. The issue at hand here is not whether you can direct your patients to the care they're seeking, but rather that your hands will be tied if you practice medicine strictly from the Catholic perspective. You'll be working in an environment where certain procedures or interventions are simply forbidden. Additionally, students are calling attention to the post-matriculation change in the school's dogma from Secular, but Associated with Catholics to We're Catholic and so Are You.

I spent 12 years in Catholic / Jesuit education. It's important to note that during this time I was not responsible for anyone's life and could not impact the decisions they made with their bodies. Medical professionals clearly have greater responsibilities.

some people wouldn't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

i agree with your comment about the dogma. if the school is something, they should wear it loud and proud.

and as far as "Medical professionals clearly have greater responsibilities", some would say that ultimately we are responsible for the well-being of our own soul first off.

i'm just playing the role of the devil's advocate here, to be clear.

submitted yesterday, completed today.

obviously that isn't a decision on an II or not, but it still seems pretty quick. :)

some people wouldn't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

i agree with your comment about the dogma. if the school is something, they should wear it loud and proud.

and as far as "Medical professionals clearly have greater responsibilities", some would say that ultimately we are responsible for the well-being of our own soul first off.

i'm just playing the role of the devil's advocate here, to be clear.
I understand the role you're playing and I take no issue with you on a personal level. I enjoy lively debates.

Physicians are responsible for lives. Priests are responsible for souls.

Reactions: 2 users
@MU COM

I was wandering if MU-COM plans to start a OPP/Anatomy fellowship between pre clinical and clinical years.

You know, porpoisedance, I researched MU-COM online, and I was blown away by the information that they presented, but I was under the impression that Catholicism was an option to pursue, not a mandate to learn and be tested on, and honestly that makes me uneasy. I am fine with learning about religion for the sake of enlightenment if it my option to do so, but I wouldn't want any religion, including my own, to influence my medical perspective.

We are all just as uneasy as you are about this recent development in our education. I agree with/second everything @porpoisedance said above. On a positive note, it appears we have already successfully had this particular block of instruction removed from our testable material, and going forward it will either be a) an optional block of instruction or b) include multiple religious perspectives and a greater emphasis on how this impacts us as physicians as opposed to just a list of Catholic beliefs. So, luckily the next year's class will get 90 minutes of their lives back that we didn't get this year :)

I too would have opted to go elsewhere, had I known I would be attending a "Catholic medical school" as I believe it is impossible to get an unbiased and comprehensive education at a religious medical school but that ship has sailed so now I'm doing my best to make sure there is better transparency for the incoming classes. For those of you on the fence about coming here due to the Catholic affiliation, I hope you will still consider it because this university clearly needs more diverse opinions who will continue to advocate to keep our education objective and evidence based.

Reactions: 1 users
We are all just as uneasy as you are about this recent development in our education. I agree with/second everything @porpoisedance said above. On a positive note, it appears we have already successfully had this particular block of instruction removed from our testable material, and going forward it will either be a) an optional block of instruction or b) include multiple religious perspectives and a greater emphasis on how this impacts us as physicians as opposed to just a list of Catholic beliefs. So, luckily the next year's class will get 90 minutes of their lives back that we didn't get this year :)

I too would have opted to go elsewhere, had I known I would be attending a "Catholic medical school" as I believe it is impossible to get an unbiased and comprehensive education at a religious medical school but that ship has sailed so now I'm doing my best to make sure there is better transparency for the incoming classes. For those of you on the fence about coming here due to the Catholic affiliation, I hope you will still consider it because this university clearly needs more diverse opinions who will continue to advocate to keep our education objective and evidence based.

We have not yet received official notification that these objectives have been removed but yes, it appears that due to the dissent from the class the 90 minutes of Catholic medical ethics material from our recent Clinical Medicine lecture will not be on our exam and will be presented in a different manner next year. Exactly how it will be changed is yet to be decided and may not be for quite some time.

Many of the faculty members were unaware that the mission statement was changed to include "is a Catholic medial institution" and they are currently looking into that change and what it means to us. For those of you going on interviews to Marian or considering applying, I would encourage you to voice your concerns on this (if you have them) to any of the many of our wonderful staff and faculty members. I chose MU-COM largely because of the faculty and they are in no way over-hyped - they are mentors, excellent instructors and student advocates.

Additionally, you will have to wait for a confirmation from our admissions office but I do not believe that anyone is given an "upper hand" in the application process because they attended a Catholic institution or are themselves Catholic. Both of these facts apply to me and I did not draw any attention to them in my application, secondary or interview. MU-COM also has a non-discriminatory policy with regards to admission/employment that includes faith, religion, creed, ethnicity and sexual orientation (among others). Medical school is not about what faith you come from or are familiar with - it is about who you are as an overall person.

It's nice to see MU-COM's administration is open to student feedback and willing to adapt. Equally impressive, porpoisedance and captlaracms are choosing to engage with their school to effect change instead of employing the more popular tactic of whining on SDN and doing nothing.

Interview coming soon. First MMI. Any advice guys?

Got an II today. I am very excited to have gotten this opportunity. I am interviewing in December, is this relatively late in the admission. In other words are chances of acceptance less at this point?

Got an II today. I am very excited to have gotten this opportunity. I am interviewing in December, is this relatively late in the admission. In other words are chances of acceptance less at this point?
When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hookay,

I'm pretty much a lurker here on this thread but I'd like to weigh in on some of the comments recently made here. Before we get started.
1) I am an OMS2
2) I am NOT Catholic.

I understand that a few vocal OMS1s seem to be upset about a lecture they had on religion and medicine. As a student who has now on their second year at this school and program I will say, not all lectures are made equally. But hey, you could say that for EVERY CLASS at ANY SCHOOL. I'd also like to call out in question the maturity of these select individuals. Don't like something? Sure, go slander it on the internet rather than talk to administration and be a force of change. Seems.. totally...reasonable, professional and oh yes, mature!

In terms of religion. As a non- Catholic (and not even a Christian anything for that matter), I have never had a problem with religion at this school. One of the faculties user profile pics is the flying spaghetti monster... so clearly this school is not about indoctrinating new members into a Church. However, this school does have partnerships with Catholic hospitals, which, from my understanding seem to comprise a majority of the hospital system in this area. It is the schools responsibility to prepare you to practice medicine in all settings, even religious hospital systems.

Surprise! In medicine you will be treating people of ALL religions, faiths and backgrounds! Weird huh? Seems like a good thing to know would be to a religion that a lot of the people in the area practice and where you'll be doing your clinicals. That sounds logical, reasonable to me. So, why are you upset that you learned about the churches view on abortion? In order to reject or carefully navigate around something you MUST UNDERSTAND it, otherwise you are bound to look like a fool.

Just a quick word about other religions on campus. There are students who have created religions student groups and ghasp! there are atheists!

In closing, this is a great school. Sorry you uh... don't want to learn about cultural diversity and stuff?

As a current OMS1 at MU-COM I would like to specifically address the Catholic aspect of the university and how it impacts the medical school itself. Currently on the website, the mission statement of the COM states:

"The Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine is a Catholic medical institution built on the inspired vision and values of our Franciscan heritage, and dedicated to preparing osteopathic physicians who are committed to the complete healing of individuals’ bodies, minds, and spirits. This institution is committed to serving the people of Indiana and to developing osteopathic physicians through research, service, and teaching."
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/about/mission

The addition of these 5 very important words seems to have occurred in the time between when I was accepted to the COM and when I looked at it recently after we were given a 90 minute lecture specifically on Catholic medical ethics that was a part of our curriculum for the Introduction to Clinical Medicine course, was required for us to attend and we have confirmed with the course directors is testable material. There are other options for us to learn about non-Christian and non-Catholic Christian medical ethics but these are not a part of the curriculum, attendance is not required and we will not be tested on the material.

When I applied and was ultimately accepted at MU-COM, it was emphasized by faculty and admissions staff that Marian is a Catholic university with a medical school built on the Franciscan heritage, NOT a Catholic medical school. It is unclear right now when or how this change came about but there is quite a lot of dissent within the first year class after this lecture about whether or not we currently attend a Catholic medical school even though we were assured that it was not a Catholic medical school. I would not have enrolled at MU-COM if I knew this was a Catholic medical school. My personal religious affiliation is irrelevant because Catholic or not, I want to be able to learn all aspects of the medical profession and how to become a competent physician without restrictions imposed by Catholic doctrine. Examples of some topics covered in the recent Clinical Medicine lecture included:

The Church's view on pregnancy resulting from sexual assault.
The Church's view on assisted reproduction (IVF).
The Church's view on contraception.
The Church's view on euthanasia.
The Church's view on abortion.
The Church's view on organ transplantation.
The Church's view on the procreative nature of sexual intercourse.

While I believe there is strength in being familiar with ethics as they relate to religious beliefs, the material was not presented in a way that would be useful to us as physicians; rather, it was essentially a listing of the Church's belief on XYZ and that these are not permissible treatment options (according to the Church for patients who are Catholic).

Needless to say, the current first year class has started to look into the issue of whether or not we are attending a Catholic medical school. I am not yet sure how this would impact our rotations but two of our biggest local affiliations are St. Vincent's and St. Francis. In theory, that fact alone could impact what we would learn or experience during a rotation, especially during an OBGYN rotation.

I am happy to answer any further questions you have related to this issue and will keep you updated on any new information that we hear from inside of the COM.

Also I hate that I'm just going to answer your question with regards to homosexuality/LGBTQ acceptance here at the COM so briefly but THANKFULLY I can very simply say that yes, you are MORE THAN WELCOME at this institution. Our student body has some stand alone issues but I am proud and happy to report that I have not heard of any discrimination against our LGBTQ students or faculty. Equal rights and love for all! <3

Reactions: 4 users
I am an OMS1 and I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not religious at all and the Catholicism thing has been 100% a non-issue for me. Shame on you guys for going to social media to bad mouth your school ESPECIALLY making a big deal out of something most students didn't even find to be problematic.

For those of you applying to Marian, the religious factor is not an issue. They never press religion on us at all. You will learn a little about Catholicism, but only from an objective point. Because our rotations are going to be with some Catholic hospitals, it is important to have an understanding of the way that will affect us in the medical world. We are never taught ANYTHING that doesn't directly relate to our future careers. I'm not sure what is offensive about teaching us how Catholic hospitals handle things like birth control, IVF, physician assisted suicide, etc. These people are going to potentially be our bosses one day so it's necessary to know how to adjust to their rules to not get fired. Honestly, their rules aren't even asking you to do anything that outrageous. If you disagree that strongly with not being able to perform abortions or having to have another physician declare a patient dead to be able to begin an organ transplant harvest, then take the information they are giving us and don't work in a Catholic hospital.

Sorry that MU-COM is trying to give everyone an objective overview of beliefs you are going to most commonly encounter as a physician.

Marian is an awesome school, and we are getting a really great education. The problems cited by the other first years about religion are ridiculous and just people making problems out of literally nothing.

Reactions: 4 users
@organ1sm and @doctorgirl678 - I sent you both messages to respond specifically to your comments!

And I want to reiterate that a considerable number of people in our class took issue not with the fact that we had to learn Catholic medical policy (which is important!) - it was rather how the material was presented, that it was required/testable material and that other religious/non-religious perspectives are not required/testable. Additionally the change in the mission statement has raised concern amongst faculty members as well as students. We have brought our concerns to the appropriate parties and for myself, I am answering questions from prospective students about how Catholicism affects the school.

MU-COM is a fantastic school with some of the most amazing faculty, facilities and resources. One of the strengths in our school is that they allow us to bring issues like this to our course directors, administration and faculty and affect change if at all possible. The class and faculty support for removal of this material from our exam and to change the format for future classes was immediately apparent. If you think this is a non-issue, I encourage you to go and voice that opposing opinion to the appropriate parties as well so that they have an idea of the distribution of dissent within the class. Perhaps we were a minority and the majority opinion just did not speak up!

Hookay,
I understand that a few vocal OMS1s seem to be upset about a lecture they had on religion and medicine. As a student who has now on their second year at this school and program I will say, not all lectures are made equally. But hey, you could say that for EVERY CLASS at ANY SCHOOL. I'd also like to call out in question the maturity of these select individuals. Don't like something? Sure, go slander it on the internet rather than talk to administration and be a force of change. Seems.. totally...reasonable, professional and oh yes, mature!
Equally immature to bash on the internet rather than address students who have differing opinions from you directly...
Regardless, this issue was actually immediately addressed with administration and was only brought up on here to keep full disclosure to incoming students. Also, 2nd years did not receive this same lecture last year so it seems unlikely you are familiar with the specific issues that were being addressed.

Surprise! In medicine you will be treating people of ALL religions, faiths and backgrounds! Weird huh? Seems like a good thing to know would be to a religion that a lot of the people in the area practice and where you'll be doing your clinicals. That sounds logical, reasonable to me. So, why are you upset that you learned about the churches view on abortion? In order to reject or carefully navigate around something you MUST UNDERSTAND it, otherwise you are bound to look like a fool.
We would have loved a course that covered a) multiple religious/nonreligious beliefs, b) actually involved information on how to apply this in practice. The issue with this specific lecture was that it was a Catholic religion class that had no application to clinical practice but instead listed everything we could not do as physicians in a Catholic facility (which really wouldn't be relevant unless we were seeking employment there, in which case I can learn about it then). I think the main issue students had with this course was actually the lack of diversity and cultural awareness.

As many have stated, I still think Marian is a great school, despite the occasional hiccups that are bound to happen as we experience the growing pains of being a new school. If anyone has specific questions they'd prefer to address privately, feel free to PM me. And if any of the incoming students want more info on family life, being a nontrad student, Indy and the surrounding area, etc or just want to say hello while they are visiting for their interviews, PM me for that too.

I'd also like to call out in question the maturity of these select individuals. Don't like something? Sure, go slander it on the internet rather than talk to administration and be a force of change. Seems.. totally...reasonable, professional and oh yes, mature!

Shame on you guys for going to social media to bad mouth your school ESPECIALLY making a big deal out of something most students didn't even find to be problematic.

You two (organ1sm & doctorgirl678) are aware porpoisedance and captlaracms were responding directly to someone who asked about the influence of Catholicism at the school, right? They also indicated they voiced their concerns with the administration immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, their rules aren't even asking you to do anything that outrageous.

You're right, Catholic doctrine doesn't ask physicians to do anything outrageous. What it demands of patients is an entirely different matter. You know... forcing a rape victim to carry and birth a resultant child, or encouraging suffering because it reminds the afflicted they aren't a god.

And now back to our regular scheduled programming :p

For the rest of the eager 10/18 interviewees, I think the rest of us who will be going to committee this Thursday will hear by Friday! Still so thankful for MU-COM's update email's letting us know if our file was reviewed or not, that little action helps so much!

You're right, Catholic doctrine doesn't ask physicians to do anything outrageous. What it demands of patients is an entirely different matter. You know... forcing a rape victim to carry and birth a resultant child, or encouraging suffering because it reminds the afflicted they aren't a god.

I really don't understand how this comment has anything to do with Marian but rather seems like an outlet for you to bash a religion. What does this exactly have to do with the Marian curriculum/ how is this MUCOM's fault?

Is Marian to blame for the Catholic church? No. MUCOM is doing the right thing by exposing its students to ideological thought and how to gracefully maneuver around it in a medical setting.

I really don't understand how this comment has anything to do with Marian but rather seems like an outlet for you to bash a religion. What does this exactly have to do with the Marian curriculum/ how is this MUCOM's fault?

Is Marian to blame for the Catholic church? No. MUCOM is doing the right thing by exposing its students to ideological thought and how to gracefully maneuver around it in a medical setting.

Since I don't yet attend Marian I clearly didn't attend the lecture. As I understand the issue, the presentation specifically did not address how to gracefully maneuver around religious issues, but instead served as a recitation of Catholic doctrine. The students have opined the underlying problem here is that no connections were drawn between Catholic beliefs and how they will actually impact a physician's practice. Furthermore, if the curriculum is secular (as Admissions reps have stated, "medical school on a Catholic campus"), then the religious perspectives presented should be multidimensional and not restricted to Catholic dogma.

I get the feeling you haven't thoroughly read what the other student have posted. Your responses seem out of tune with the discussion and laced with malicious intent. Please consider taking a moment to re-read the relevant posts on page 16 and 17, and return to the conversation when you feel able to discuss the issues and withhold personal attacks. Lastly, Marian is certainly not to blame for the Catholic church any more than individual Catholics are to blame for the Church's decisions. Individuals, as well as institutions, have the choice to follow rules blindly or use their conscience.

3.51/3.35/30 (11/9/10) Complete 10/15, on hold today :/ welp.

...does anyone ever get off of hold or is it a death sentence?

A supplemental invitation means that the applicant meets our minimum MCAT and minimum GPA. As stated before, prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better.

Admissions
Does this mean you can be accepted to MarianU without completing a prerequisite of sociology? As long as you complete the course before attending the school, your offer of admission remains?

omg-wtf-bbq did their email to you say that you weren't as competitive as others?

omg-wtf-bbq did their email to you say that you weren't as competitive as others?

Yes, it's generic:

"During our screening, your clear preparation for medical school, for which I congratulate you, was observed. However, your overall application is slightly less competitive than some other applicants, but the committee is still interested in your candidacy. As such, your application is on hold. The committee will review your application again in approximately one month, if not sooner."

I love Marian. I loved that lecture, although it was a little long and we were all beat down from exams. The point was to prep us for our rotations at Catholic health care institutions - places we knew long ago were sites we would probably rotate at. From the outset that's what I saw it as. I'm Catholic and the product of all Catholic schools (that doesn't mean I am a devout Catholic or a great Catholic or any other derivative, but the education is top notch), and I learned a lot at Dr. Eberl's lecture. I know tons of Catholics that wouldn't know the info that was presented. Most people in my circle were only annoyed with the length and not the content and have since moved on with their lives while acknowledging that that information might not inherently make them a better prescriber of medicine or a better surgeon, but rather a more knowledgeable practitioner (Hell, I could raise my hand during every lecture and ask "How will this make me a better physician?"). If Marian was the 'Catholic Medical School' as some now say it is, I'd gather our professors would have to include tidbits at the end of each lecture about what the Catholic Church says about a particular topic. They don't. I, for one, did my research before I came here and it was pretty clear I was attending a Catholic University and the possibility that we might hear some Catholic thoughts wouldn't surprise me (The internet is a beautiful place: https://www.archindy.org/criterion/local/2013/08-09/marian.html). There are spirituality courses and emails from the nuns, but that comes with the territory. I don't read them or attend gatherings. I also agree that we should learn about different faiths and religions as it relates to health care, and I think Dr. Eberl is doing a lot to make that happen. Maybe it will be mandatory in the future, maybe it won't. But when I rotate at St. Vincent's, I need to know these things. The thing that is great about Marian is that I have met people from all walks of life and all races and ages and faiths and backgrounds. Everyone is smart and friendly and kind and it blows me away each and every day. OPP is the most random thing I have ever encountered and I encourage an open mind and that open mind has allowed me to learn it slowly, but surely. I am not at a state run MD school, so here I learn OPP and the osteopathic principles and maybe a little about Jesus. So be it. I am thankful for the opportunity to be here, as it was the place I chose, and I hope all you folks consider it.

I love Marian. I loved that lecture, although it was a little long and we were all beat down from exams. The point was to prep us for our rotations at Catholic health care institutions - places we knew long ago were sites we would probably rotate at. From the outset that's what I saw it as. I'm Catholic and the product of all Catholic schools (that doesn't mean I am a devout Catholic or a great Catholic or any other derivative, but the education is top notch), and I learned a lot at Dr. Eberl's lecture. I know tons of Catholics that wouldn't know the info that was presented. Most people in my circle were only annoyed with the length and not the content and have since moved on with their lives while acknowledging that that information might not inherently make them a better prescriber of medicine or a better surgeon, but rather a more knowledgeable practitioner (Hell, I could raise my hand during every lecture and ask "How will this make me a better physician?"). If Marian was the 'Catholic Medical School' as some now say it is, I'd gather our professors would have to include tidbits at the end of each lecture about what the Catholic Church says about a particular topic. They don't. I, for one, did my research before I came here and it was pretty clear I was attending a Catholic University and the possibility that we might hear some Catholic thoughts wouldn't surprise me (The internet is a beautiful place: https://www.archindy.org/criterion/local/2013/08-09/marian.html). There are spirituality courses and emails from the nuns, but that comes with the territory. I don't read them or attend gatherings. I also agree that we should learn about different faiths and religions as it relates to health care, and I think Dr. Eberl is doing a lot to make that happen. Maybe it will be mandatory in the future, maybe it won't. But when I rotate at St. Vincent's, I need to know these things. The thing that is great about Marian is that I have met people from all walks of life and all races and ages and faiths and backgrounds. Everyone is smart and friendly and kind and it blows me away each and every day. OPP is the most random thing I have ever encountered and I encourage an open mind and that open mind has allowed me to learn it slowly, but surely. I am not at a state run MD school, so here I learn OPP and the osteopathic principles and maybe a little about Jesus. So be it. I am thankful for the opportunity to be here, as it was the place I chose, and I hope all you folks consider it.

Thank you for the alternative perspective. I read the article you linked a few days ago and wondered about the quote from Mr. Elsener, the University's President, on the gift Marian employs to create physicians, "What’s the great gift we have? It’s to integrate faith into how we think about the human person, how we think about our gifts and talents, how we’re supposed to share them."

Now that you've been at the school a few months, would you say the school's mission is to produce competent, caring physicians, or competent and caring Catholic physicians? Personal beliefs aside, it's important for every applicant to know the answer to this question.

Also, since you're paying $43k a year to attend, you should indeed ask "How will this make me a better physician?" during every lecture. And the faculty should answer.

For those of us from 10/18 left, tomorrow is the big day! Lets hope we all hear good news, if i recall correctly they will update the status portal and send an email with regards to the decision.

It's kind of nice being 3 hours behind, means I'm slightly closer to a decision (good or bad).

For those of us from 10/18 left, tomorrow is the big day! Lets hope we all hear good news, if i recall correctly they will update the status portal and send an email with regards to the decision.

It's kind of nice being 3 hours behind, means I'm slightly closer to a decision (good or bad).
Yayyyyy! Should we hear tomorrow after they meet or on Friday?

ACCEPTED!! I am so thrilled, I can't even contain myself. One of the best days of my life!

Reactions: 6 users
Alternate list. Interviewed 10/18, congrats to everyone else! Here's hoping to some movement on the alternate list.

Has anyone been accepted from the alternate list yet?
I'm unsure of exactly what you are asking. Are you wondering if people have been accepted this year off the alternate list? If so then I believe it's way too early to be asking that. Usually alternate means you are an alternate until they are done or near the end of the cycle. Then they will see who accepts the offer and who doesn't. Then they can decide who to extend offers to from the alternate list. I had a brother in law receive an acceptance from the alternate list but it was two weeks before school started.

Yes, I was referring to this cycle. The reason I am asking is, MUCOM stated both at my interview and in the email I received that they revisit the alternate list at least once a month. I take that to mean they could offer anyone from the alternate list admission at any time throughout the process, not just near the end.