Marshall v St. Louis v Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really can't make a decision here. Would like some input if you guys can help.

Marshall - closest to home and girlfriend, really small class size, well known school, extremely welcoming environment, however I'm worried about emphasis on primary care.

St. Louis - ranked, good matches, friend lives there already, however its fairly far from home

I have almost ruled out Ros Franklin, but am still keeping my mind fairly open. They all cost the same, so I am really having a hard time here. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to be near the girlfriend? I think that's a question you need to answer for yourself... They're all good schools. It just comes down to where you liked it the most, where the students seemed most like you, and where you want to live for the next 4 years.

I really can't make a decision here. Would like some input if you guys can help.

Marshall - closest to home and girlfriend, really small class size, well known school, extremely welcoming environment, however I'm worried about emphasis on primary care.

St. Louis - ranked, good matches, friend lives there already, however its fairly far from home

I have almost ruled out Ros Franklin, but am still keeping my mind fairly open. They all cost the same, so I am really having a hard time here. Any advice?

From the reasons you have provided, my vote is for Marshall. Just because the school emphasizes primary care does not mean you have to become a primary care physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little worried that St. Louis would help me get into a better residency.

I'm a little worried that St. Louis would help me get into a better residency.

That'd be my fear too, as the other two are more well known. My vote goes to SLU...you and your gf can do long distance, but this is a matter of your future.

I think its funny how everyone hones in on the gf thing. The class size was a big factor for me too, Marshall's is around 70 I think and SLU is more than double that. Can anyone that currently go to these schools comment on this or the residency situation?

I think its funny how everyone hones in on the gf thing. The class size was a big factor for me too, Marshall's is around 70 I think and SLU is more than double that. Can anyone that currently go to these schools comment on this or the residency situation?

I doubt going to Marshall over SLU is going to matter much when it comes to getting into a good residency. Most of that is dependent on the person and not the school. Not like you are choosing Marshall over Harvard. Match lists are just something fun to show off, but they don't really mean much in the end. I see that Marshall does have a lot of people going into primary care, but who is to say that isn't their choice. And if you really want to stay with this girlfriend then you should stay there. Long distance relationships are hard enough let alone being in med school while doing it.

well my gf is done with school in one year, so it will only be that one year

Think cost, that should be your answer, after family and GF of course. You will get into any residency you'd like, I promise.

I'd go to the school you think is the best fit for you. Don't consider factors like being near your gf or home. If things don't work out for any reason with your gf, you will probably regret making your decision based on her.

That and, in med school, whether you live near her or far away, you won't be seeing much of her anyway, because you will be up to your ears in work! I would just consider how each school's strengths match up with your medical interests and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.