MCW vs Creighton vs UCF vs USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twinhong2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to narrow down my choices more before going to my second looks.

MCW
Pro - solid program
Con - cold weather (I'm from CA)

Creighton
Pro - lowest tuition (20k scholarship)/ 3rd & 4th yr in Pheonix
Con - VERY cold weather/ not much Asian stuff (I'm Asian) & small city/ didn't feel good at interview (which is biased/ not accurate b/c of a horrible exp just getting to the school on the day)

UCF
Pro - fantastic (sounds-like) program, warm weather/ likely ~50-100% scholarship (need to wait on this)
Con - no history of residency match

USF
Pro - great program, warm weather
Con - Very expensive OOS tuition

Please share any of your thoughts.
What should I put on my priority when choosing the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We give out only a couple of those scholarships, so feel proud that you were offered it. I came from the southwest and really ended up loving Omaha. It has a lot of positives for its size of city, with a downtown with many restaurants, pubs etc, many sporting events including College World Series and of course Creighton athletics, we have many concerts and off-broadway events at the Qwest center. We have a great symphony and several playhouses. In my opinion our best feature is how well the students get along. The student body has great camaraderie, especially since we have no rank list, it limits the amount of competitiveness that is expressed, everybody is there to help everyone else. Thats the main reason I came here almost 4 years ago and would definitely do it again.

In addition I know that we have an on campus Asian/Vietnamese professional student group that several students participate in from my class, actually the groups VP just match in optho, we're all really excited for her.

Good luck with your choice and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. :)

As a current Creighton student, I agree with everything tegs15 said. I think you really have to sit down and figure out what's important to you. My opinion is that the most important factor should be where you see yourself being happiest/most comfortable, but that's me. Face it, you're going to be studying a TON, but if you're not stressed out/burned out and are with people you enjoy, the entire process isn't nearly as bad as most anticipate. I went with my gut and chose Creighton because of the camaraderie that tegs mentioned and I could not be happier with my decision.

If money, location/weather, and anything else are priorities that you think will have a huge influence on your happiness, rank the schools accordingly. If all else is equal, go where you'll be happiest, you won't regret it!

I can't speak for the other two schools but as far as UCF vs USF I would pick USF. I interviewed at both. USF is far more established, and UCF isn't fully accredited (there is a reason why they want to offer you the scholarships, you are taking a risk). USF has residency programs with every specialty (except anes.) so you can spend a good amount of time establishing contacts in whatever program you are interested in. That is what impressed me about USF. I also felt USF's faculty and student body was EXTREMELY warm and helpful (so was UCF's though),

I know UCF has a lot of potential, and you can help shape the medical school, but the fact that it doesn't have full accredidation, quite frankly, scares me. But that's me. If you're comfortable with the risk then free is nice. I am simply more comfortable with the established school.

UCF and USF are well regarded in FL; but, don't have much of a national reputation. . . if you want to stay in FL..you'll be fine. But, do you?

I guess that's a personal choice.

I can't speak for the other two schools but as far as UCF vs USF I would pick USF. I interviewed at both. USF is far more established, and UCF isn't fully accredited (there is a reason why they want to offer you the scholarships, you are taking a risk). USF has residency programs with every specialty (except anes.) so you can spend a good amount of time establishing contacts in whatever program you are interested in. That is what impressed me about USF. I also felt USF's faculty and student body was EXTREMELY warm and helpful (so was UCF's though),

I know UCF has a lot of potential, and you can help shape the medical school, but the fact that it doesn't have full accredidation, quite frankly, scares me. But that's me. If you're comfortable with the risk then free is nice. I am simply more comfortable with the established school.

That's a very important point that has been brought up. If your school is new and has no real match list, I would stay away (no matter how much money they give you). I'm sorry but it's too risky.

Also would you like to go to a California residency. If you do, that's something to take into account. Which school allows you to do that. And I know people say it's more what you do rather than the reputation; however, my uncle is a residency program director and he says certain schools produce better doctors than others. So I know it matters. That's why it's important to go to a school with a history.

I would personally go with either Creighton, MCW, or USF (with the edge to MCW).

It's like the media--your opinion of UCF shifts at the drop of a hat. Based on the multiple comments below from the UCF thread:

Had my interview Friday. It made me fall in love with the school! I REALLY want to go here. I am praying for an acceptance! :xf::eek:

........... The school is beautiful, and there are so many opportunities! REL Larkin (the Admissions director) is very straight forward about the process and tries not to leave us in the dark.. I love that!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get in here. I wish I could let the admissions comittee know!

There will be more decisions this weekend. I am praying for an acceptance!

I am so nervous! Supposed to hear something this weekend!!! Praying for an acceptance!!!!

Waiting on your call REL. Anxiously waiting. Please accept me... please?

Wow! Really? Man I have had butterflies for days! I guess I will wait until next week :(

I really really really want an acceptance here!

Awesome! hopefully we will both be accepted :D

I'm thinking this comment:

Is a "make me feel better about it" comment for this:

Waitlist. Middle of Middle third. So disappointed!!!! I should have said, "No your on my waitlist- I have four" lol

It's like the media--your opinion of UCF shifts at the drop of a hat. Based on the multiple comments below from the UCF thread:

Finding a few random posts doesn't mean anything. In the beginning, lots of people just want an acceptance (I did). But there are certainly schools I interviewed at but would rather not go to over others.

She said the school was solid, but the lack of any history is a major cause for concern. It would be for me too.

Finding a few random posts doesn't mean anything. In the beginning, lots of people just want an acceptance (I did). But there are certainly schools I interviewed at but would rather not go to over others.

She said the school was solid, but the lack of any history is a major cause for concern. It would be for me too.

Agreed. BTW I put "solid" for MCW. I felt like UCF's program is like "too good to be true (to the point that it's kinda scary?)."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all of you for your valuable inputs here. I'm still debating but I will definitely go to the second look at Creighton.

UCF and USF are well regarded in FL; but, don't have much of a national reputation. . . if you want to stay in FL..you'll be fine. But, do you?

I guess that's a personal choice.

Actually I have heard the same thing just about two days ago or so. Around my env, Moffitt hospital is kinda famous so I thought USF does have pretty good reputation. Is it not?

Actually I have heard the same thing just about two days ago or so. Around my env, Moffitt hospital is kinda famous so I thought USF does have pretty good reputation. Is it not?

Can someone accepted to UCF please elucidate its curriculum for me? Is it lecture or PBL?

I got an interview here, but I'm from CA and I don't know if going to interview would be worth it.

twinhong2, I think that your cons for MCW and creighton are trivial. weather is just weather. Your other cons are much more serious in terms of opportunities/training.

Can someone accepted to UCF please elucidate its curriculum for me? Is it lecture or PBL?

I got an interview here, but I'm from CA and I don't know if going to interview would be worth it.

twinhong2, I think that your cons for MCW and creighton are trivial. weather is just weather. Your other cons are much more serious in terms of opportunities/training.

I think it will be worth of it. UCF has an integrative curriculum, a good mixture of lecture & PBL. Loved pass/fail system and a large number of extra curricular opportunities.

I haven't been accepted but UCF isn't pass/fail

Thank you! Exactly my point. I interviewed at UCF early on. All I wanted was an acceptance. I still really like the school, but compared to USF, not as much, for the reasons I mentioned in my post.And, when I write those posts, I had not gotten an acceptance anywhere, and was praying in general. It's amazing what a few acceptances will do for your perspective. Then, you don't just want to get in ANYWHERE, you have other schools to compare your interviews to. In my case, I loved UCF, but when compared to USF, I found very little comparison.

I'm thinking this comment:

Is a "make me feel better about it" comment for this:

Seriously, someone needs to get a life. Or a job. I have never been personally attacked on an internet forum before!! I have the right to change my mind about a school, especially after researching what happens IF UCF loses its accredidation. You're up the creek with no paddle. I don't know about you, but the prospect of going to 3-4 years of medical school, and then finding out I am ineligible to practice medicine, is NOT a risk I am willing to take, even if the chance is only 10%.

I do think the school offers many opportunities (as I mentioned in my post). However, when compared to the more established, more reputable school, I choose the better school. Not to mention that I felt that USF was a better fit for me. It's also hard to look beyond the residency connection opportunities available at USF. In addition, you may check there matchlist for any specialties you are interested in, whereas, at UCF you can't (simply because it doens't exist yet, its not a fault of the school's).

In addition, I would like to comment that I think USF is reputable beyond just Florida, and, at least where I am sitting, is equally reputable to MCW. The Moffitt cancer center is world renowned. Also, Wisconsin is cold!!!

Yup, I think I just convinced myself to withdrawl my application from UCF. No point in waiting.

Last edited:
I would never take away from the excitement anyone has over going to USF. In fact, I would love to interview there and/or get an acceptance!!! That being said, I am from Florida and, still believe USF isn't among the nation's top medical schools.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+3

It is not ranked in primary care or research. Medical College of Wisconsin is. Yes; Moffit is ranked #16 out of this nation's top cancer institutes. Yet, medical school training is about the training you receive throughout your education: we aren't in oncology yet, guys.

Also, when people think of top cancer institutes outside of Florida, they think of M.D. Andersen, Sloan Kettering, Dana Farber, Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. I believe USF stresses the fact that they have Moffit because it overshadows other areas that USF lacks: like national prestige.

That being said, Tampa is a great area. The weather is warm. Yes; you will have an affiliation with Moffit and all the glory that comes with it. Do what feels best to you: MCW and Creighton don't have nationally ranked hospitals affiliated with their institutions. If that's what you are looking for, USF is the right choice.

One of the things I learned during my interview was that USF doesn't participate in the US News Rankings. Apparently the dean is against the methodology they use or something. Therefore, this cannot be a consideration

One of the things I learned during my interview was that USF doesn't participate in the US News Rankings. Apparently the dean is against the methodology they use or something. Therefore, this cannot be a consideration

The dean is "against the methodology"...again, one could easily insert code for "We wouldn't rank highly because we do not have the same funds allocated to us as other institutions." I don't know; these things are so arbitrary and so much of it comes down to personal preference and choice. Either way, all of you are going to be doctors, and many have various choices of what school to attend. Congrats!! and, I am sure that everyone will be happy with their decisions.

Thank you! Exactly my point. I interviewed at UCF early on. All I wanted was an acceptance. I still really like the school, but compared to USF, not as much, for the reasons I mentioned in my post.And, when I write those posts, I had not gotten an acceptance anywhere, and was praying in general. It's amazing what a few acceptances will do for your perspective. Then, you don't just want to get in ANYWHERE, you have other schools to compare your interviews to. In my case, I loved UCF, but when compared to USF, I found very little comparison.

Seriously, someone needs to get a life. Or a job. I have never been personally attacked on an internet forum before!! I have the right to change my mind about a school, especially after researching what happens IF UCF loses its accredidation. You're up the creek with no paddle. I don't know about you, but the prospect of going to 3-4 years of medical school, and then finding out I am ineligible to practice medicine, is NOT a risk I am willing to take, even if the chance is only 10%.

I do think the school offers many opportunities (as I mentioned in my post). However, when compared to the more established, more reputable school, I choose the better school. Not to mention that I felt that USF was a better fit for me. It's also hard to look beyond the residency connection opportunities available at USF. In addition, you may check there matchlist for any specialties you are interested in, whereas, at UCF you can't (simply because it doens't exist yet, its not a fault of the school's).

In addition, I would like to comment that I think USF is reputable beyond just Florida, and, at least where I am sitting, is equally reputable to MCW. The Moffitt cancer center is world renowned. Also, Wisconsin is cold!!!

Yup, I think I just convinced myself to withdrawl my application from UCF. No point in waiting.

This was the main concern of mine after I got accepted to UCF this year. After talking with REL a few times I am 100% confident that UCF will be accredited after three years. Worst comes to worst (and this may be harsh to say) the first class is affected by the accreditation issue. If that happened they may have to take time off before they can apply to residency programs. By the time our class is ready to graduate, the administration would have a year to figure out how to clear up the issue. I am not wishing those issues upon anyone, but at least that is the way I eased my mind about the situation.

Also, Moffitt is an incredible institution, but a branch of MD Anderson (another excellent cancer institution) just opened or is about to open right next to the new medical school. The VA is supposed to open in 2012 along with the Nemours Children Hospital. Therefore, by the time we are starting rotations these institutions will be available. While they are building we will be able to gain experience at Orlando Regional and other clinical sites in the area.

Either way, go with the school that fits you best. That should be one of the highest priorities on the list of school features. Like REL said on the interview day, they are looking for students who are willing to put trust in UCF to succeed and grow along with us. If that is not something you are interested in then definitely go with what you are interested in! Good luck with everything!

I decided to go to USF because there are four hospitals about 500 feet N,S,E, and W of us here. Those being the University Community Hospital (north), Moffitt (east), Shriner's (south), and VA (west).

When I interviewed here at USF last year, they took us on a tour of TGH and I was blown away compared to the other level 1 trauma centers in FL. I've been to Shands&UF, ORMC, Broward General, and Jackson Memorial and in my opinion, TGH is better. They showed us the cath lab and all I have to say is...wow.

With that said, cost is an important factor if you don't plan on doing the military route where the pay your tuition and give you a stipend. If you plan on going into primary care, $300k in debt upon graduation will be something to think about.

Good luck with your decision. The fact you have multiple offers is something many wish they had. ;) I have an exam Monday and need to go to lab today to get some studying done! :)

I went to USF for my undergraduate studies and although the school is decent. I can't see myself spending 4 more years in Tampa. Thats why UCF gets my vote.

Last edited:
I would never take away from the excitement anyone has over going to USF. In fact, I would love to interview there and/or get an acceptance!!! That being said, I am from Florida and, still believe USF isn't among the nation's top medical schools.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings.../top-medical-schools/research-rankings/page+3

It is not ranked in primary care or research. Medical College of Wisconsin is. Yes; Moffit is ranked #16 out of this nation's top cancer institutes. Yet, medical school training is about the training you receive throughout your education: we aren't in oncology yet, guys.

Also, when people think of top cancer institutes outside of Florida, they think of M.D. Andersen, Sloan Kettering, Dana Farber, Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic. I believe USF stresses the fact that they have Moffit because it overshadows other areas that USF lacks: like national prestige.

That being said, Tampa is a great area. The weather is warm. Yes; you will have an affiliation with Moffit and all the glory that comes with it. Do what feels best to you: MCW and Creighton don't have nationally ranked hospitals affiliated with their institutions. If that's what you are looking for, USF is the right choice.

You might want to recheck that. I'm pretty sure Children's is up there nationally. MCW has a strong pediatrics program.

And to the OP and any others fearing the cold, weather is overrated. You're gonna be indoors most of the time anyway. Worry about weather further down in life when you have a lot more time to enjoy it. And yes, this is coming from a Californian.

I decided to go to USF because there are four hospitals about 500 feet N,S,E, and W of us here. Those being the University Community Hospital (north), Moffitt (east), Shriner's (south), and VA (west).

When I interviewed here at USF last year, they took us on a tour of TGH and I was blown away compared to the other level 1 trauma centers in FL. I've been to Shands&UF, ORMC, Broward General, and Jackson Memorial and in my opinion, TGH is better. They showed us the cath lab and all I have to say is...wow.

With that said, cost is an important factor if you don't plan on doing the military route where the pay your tuition and give you a stipend. If you plan on going into primary care, $300k in debt upon graduation will be something to think about.

Good luck with your decision. The fact you have multiple offers is something many wish they had. ;) I have an exam Monday and need to go to lab today to get some studying done! :)

Unknown for 2010 applicants, No tour of TGH provided this year during interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.