2020-2021 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL due to low science GPA < 3.5. Advice?
What was sGPA? I mean, if it was 3.45 then I don't think it's that big of a deal if you interviewed well and have a good MCAT and experiences. What are your GPA and MCAT? How many clinical and volunteer hours do you have? Those are the important things for Creighton.

Members don't see this ad.

Under 3.5 may not be highly competitive but other factors such as the rigor of the school, was it a top 20 school in a difficult major, was there employment during the school year? The median MCAT at Creighton last year was a 513, a higher MCAT in the 517 range can offset a lower GPA when the applicant is scored. Volunteer and clinical hours also help as does published original research, but the GPA and MCAT are fairly strong measures in determining if the applicant will struggle with the academics of medical school. Biochem and Anatomy can be pretty rough even for the best students. 5% of students tend to take up 95% of an instructor's time and stress which is why GPA and MCAT are evaluated for applicants. D.O. schools tend to be a little more forgiving on GPA and MCAT but are still very competitive also. The interview may take an applicant up or down a couple rungs of the ranking ladder in the holistic evaluation system, but generally are not the only determining factor.

Did the adcom explicitly tell you that your low sGPA was the reason that you were waitlisted?
If Creighton offered you an interview and waitlisted you (as opposed to a direct reject at any point), they must have liked you a lot already in the holistic review process. If you confirm that your low GPA was indeed the reason for you losing the tiebreaker, improve your MCAT score to offset it as WHOSrgn suggested. You can consider doing a post-bac program but, personally, I think it would be a total waste of money unless your sGPA is abysmal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my financial aid package. Can't wait to be 360k in debt.

Reactions: 2 users
Loved the "Our commitment to making a Creighton education more affordable" and then slapped a 90k/year CoA with only loans. Have pretty competitive scholarships elsewhere and will likely be withdrawing. Hoping my A goes to one of you guys.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if Creighton gives out any form of scholarships and what they are based on? Merit, need-based? The package got me really worried about the large amount of debt but it's my only acceptance so far and I'm on other waitlists.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone explain what an Easter egg hunt, treats! and flowers are?

• Haha
Loved the "Our commitment to making a Creighton education more affordable" and then slapped a 90k/year CoA with only loans. Have pretty competitive scholarships elsewhere and will likely be withdrawing. Hoping my A goes to one of you guys.
Also got a kick out of this. Very weird that they tried to frame it like they were being so generous haha. Gonna be withdrawing my A here, good luck guys!

Yeah the "financial aid package" email they sent this morning made me wonder if Creighton is trying to play an April Fool's prank on all of us. I'll also be withdrawing my A in favor of more affordable options. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear - I hope good news comes soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh. Hit with another 90k in loans. Feeling very fortunate that I have two acceptances, but I can't help but feel disheartened that no matter where I go, I'm gonna be ~360k in debt.

Think I will be withdrawing my A here this week. Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard more information for the zoom second look for the phoenix campus?

Did anyone write a letter of intent? If so, where did you upload it on the secondary portal? Or did you email it to admissions?

Last edited:
Planning on withdrawing as well! Good luck everyone :)

With some students now spending all four years at the Phoenix campus, does anyone know if there will still be an option for Omaha students to complete their M3/M4 years in Phoenix?
I attended the in-person second look day in Omaha and they stated that Omaha students have to do M3 in Omaha but may do several M4 rotations in Phoenix

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!

For those who are going to Phoenix and are apartment-hunting, this is a great deal!

1618339196511.png

• Haha
Hi everyone! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! My name is Mitch, I am a current M1 at Creighton and couldn't be happier with where I ended up. For those of you looking for housing options, look no further!

What made my transition to medical school so much easier was deciding to join Phi Chi, Creighton's co-ed medical fraternity. Our house is located in the infamous Blackstone on the corner of 40th and Dewey Ave, which is just 1.8 miles from campus and 4.1 miles from Bergan Mercy, the hospital you will rotate at if you're on the Omaha track!

Don't be fooled by the word "fraternity," we're more like a big, happy family. It's a co-ed house ranging from M1s to M4s....meaning we probably have most (if not all) of your textbooks in our house library that everyone in the house has access to. In addition to that, there is always someone who can answer any questions you have about lectures, small groups, test prep, how to have a life and stay sane, etc. Having M2-M4s around all the time has made me way more prepared on what to expect from the M1 curriculum.

We always have an absolute blast together, and Phi Chi has truly become my home away from home. Personally, it's the perfect balance of fun while still being the best students we can. So if amazing community, volunteering, leadership opportunities, family dinners, and having great work-life balance during medical school sounds appealing to you, then Phi Chi would be a great place for you!

For a sense of how the house works, you'll be paying approximately $525/month for rent for your own room, utilities, internet, and three square meals 5 days out of the week. That’s right, your food is paid for too! Cooking dinner runs on rotations and given that there will be about 11-14 people in the house each year, you'll only have to cook once every 2-3 weeks!

Interested? Check us out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ1g4fPcbR0...
Visit our website at creightonphichi.com for information on how to fill out the application. Applications for Phi Chi are considered on a rolling basis. You can also check us out on instagram @creightonphichi. Feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] with any questions you have about Phi Chi or Creighton medical school in general! I look forward to meeting you all soon!

Going to be withdrawing. Very tough decision since Creighton is such a nice school. They were the first to give me an A and a chance to be a doctor. Good luck to all on the waitlist!

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew today, hope my spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
is it possible to take your name off the alternate list after you accepted your position? I tried looking for the option on the portal but it doesn't seem to be there

Or call, their office is super nice. They answer fast when I have called

Will be withdrawing my A from Phoenix campus, hope someone from WL or hoping to change campuses gets it!! Very tough decision, but seems like an awesome school!

Does anyone know if the clinical years are H/P/F or just P/F? If H/P/F, what percentage of students get honors in each rotation? Also how often are the quizzes and exams, and are they low-stakes, high-stakes?

Hey all! This hurts a little bit because it was my first acceptance back in October, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance from the Phoenix campus. I hope one of you gets it! The faculty and students seemed great from my interactions with them.

So for second review we need an update in by April 30 correct?

Hey guys, current student at Creighton. Something I didn't know before entering school but have found it somewhat stressful/deterring from making deep friendships is that you are evaluated by other students in your team assignments for various categories. Also, I've personally found TBL/CBL's to be less efficient than lectures in terms of learning, but your mileage may vary. I'll end this with a positive note that the admin are awesome and very responsive.

TLDL; hate student evaluations, hate CBL/TBL, love admins, if these don't bother you choose creighton

• Hmm
Hey guys, current student at Creighton. Something I didn't know before entering school but have found it somewhat stressful/deterring from making deep friendships is that you are evaluated by other students in your team assignments for various categories. Also, I've personally found TBL/CBL's to be less efficient than lectures in terms of learning, but your mileage may vary. I'll end this with a positive note that the admin are awesome and very responsive.

TLDL; hate student evaluations, hate CBL/TBL, love admins, if these don't bother you choose creighton
I feel like most students aren't huge fans of CBL/TBL and most medical schools, if not all, have some form of it right? I didn't know about the "students evaluating other students for grades" part though. Sorry that it has caused you stress I can see why.

Is this true? I thought the committee will be meeting sometime later in May, not right after April 30th.
I think April 30th is the day Schools can see whether an applicant has acceptances. I had thought around October the schools can see where those acceptances were if their Adcom cares to look. Adcoms have a class to fill, when they see their "plan or commit to enroll" they have an idea how their class is shaping up and also take into consideration traditional norms. With Adcoms, if they have seats to fill the meet sooner than later as applicants are starting to make housing arrangements etc. IF you have updates, why wait, I would send them today while ensuring they are brief and well crafted.

I feel like most students aren't huge fans of CBL/TBL and most medical schools, if not all, have some form of it right? I didn't know about the "students evaluating other students for grades" part though. Sorry that it has caused you stress I can see why.
Minor correction-- it's not for grades but for your own professional development, but it can be stressful nonetheless. As for your question, I think it is a requirement to have TBL/CBL now across the country, but you should carefully look at the percentage that TBL/CBL takes up in the curriculum. Ours is about 10 hrs per week, while other schools may have just a few hours per month or per block.

thanks for sharing this! do you stay with the same CBL/TBL group for the whole year?

thanks for sharing this! do you stay with the same CBL/TBL group for the whole year?
You switch them once per year over the winter break, so you have a team for the fall and a different team for the spring. You're welcome! I wish someone had told me the details about these things during my cycle, and of course part of it's on me to figure out but you sort of don't know what questions to ask when its your first time attending a school. Hoping some people find them useful.

withdrawing my acceptance.

goodluck to everyone on the WL. :)

Withdrawing today from the Phoenix campus. Tufff choice but happy someone will come off WL

Does anyone how to withdraw? Couldn't find it on NEST or the secondary platform.

Withdrew from Phoenix campus. It was truly a tough decision. Good luck you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew from Omaha campus. One of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make.. I absolutely loved Creighton and felt its mission and values were truly special, but was ultimately accepted to a school closer to my family and support system. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist. Hoping one of you has an opportunity to attend this amazing school.

Reactions: 4 users