2020-2021 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Ryan Wessel about the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School glitch, he said it will be fixed by Monday

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
So I had a really good interview this week, my interviewer said he thinks I'm a great fit for the campus and would love to see me there and he seemed to like my answers, essays, and LOR and I also really vibed with my student interviewer. This was a very exciting week for me as I have had a very slow cycle and haven't had an interview in months (this is my third), but all of a sudden it became very disappointing.

Guess what? I found out I might get rejected or waitlisted for not having physiology which is one of their hard requirements. So now I'm scrambling to find a summer physiology course at some school that offers it before matriculation on the off chance I get accepted here in the first place. And it looks like not even having the course may already hurt me in them making the final decision from what I asked at the end of the Q and A session. I personally know somebody who received feedback that their WL decision was due to not having taken college stats.

Wish me luck guys. All I have is one other WL so I'm really banking on this turning into an A. If it becomes a WL I don't know if it's worth me taking a summer class after I've already graduated on the off chance that it might turn into an A. I feel like the vast majority of medical schools do not have physiology as a hard requirement so I'm pretty bummed about this... especially considering that I've taken anatomy lol.

Do you guys have any advice? I found a summer session physiology course at UIC that seems to fit the bill and ends well before matriculation however I can't sign up for that until late April. And given I don't go there, the seats may fill up before I can get in since undergraduate students can sign up close to a month before "visiting students." It looks like I can expect a decision from Creighton on either March 7th or 14th so my current plan is to send a letter of intent to them indicating and strongly emphasizing that I will take the course in the summer if given a "conditional acceptance" (as they phrased it). I'll also mention and list whatever numerous other upper level bio classes I took in college. Hoping I can get an exception and won't have to take the class my last free summer before medical school (unless I have to reapply which is a very real possibility), but if it comes to it I will take a class for an acceptance. If I end up getting rescinded because I couldn't find a physiology course to take... well that would be a very sad day.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I had a really good interview this week, my interviewer said he thinks I'm a great fit for the campus and would love to see me there and he seemed to like my answers, essays, and LOR and I also really vibed with my student interviewer. This was a very exciting week for me as I have had a very slow cycle and haven't had an interview in months (this is my third), but all of a sudden it became very disappointing.

Guess what? I found out I might get rejected or waitlisted for not having physiology which is one of their hard requirements. So now I'm scrambling to find a summer physiology course at some school that offers it before matriculation on the off chance I get accepted here in the first place. And it looks like not even having the course may already hurt me in them making the final decision from what I asked at the end of the Q and A session. I personally know somebody who received feedback that their WL decision was due to not having taken college stats.

Wish me luck guys. All I have is one other WL so I'm really banking on this turning into an A. If it becomes a WL I don't know if it's worth me taking a summer class after I've already graduated on the off chance that it might turn into an A. I feel like the vast majority of medical schools do not have physiology as a hard requirement so I'm pretty bummed about this... especially considering that I've taken anatomy lol.

Do you guys have any advice? I found a summer session physiology course at UIC that seems to fit the bill and ends well before matriculation however I can't sign up for that until late April. And given I don't go there, the seats may fill up before I can get in since undergraduate students can sign up close to a month before "visiting students." It looks like I can expect a decision from Creighton on either March 7th or 14th so my current plan is to send a letter of intent to them indicating and strongly emphasizing that I will take the course in the summer if given a "conditional acceptance" (as they phrased it). I'll also mention and list whatever numerous other upper level bio classes I took in college. Hoping I can get an exception and won't have to take the class my last free summer before medical school (unless I have to reapply which is a very real possibility), but if it comes to it I will take a class for an acceptance. If I end up getting rescinded because I couldn't find a physiology course to take... well that would be a very sad day.
Sounds like you had a great interview! I didn’t have statistics so I took it online through university of Phoenix. It was easy and only 5 weeks so maybe see if they have physiology. If you register for a class just update them. I was waitlisted but when I met with the counselor she said that update was good enough and they would just need the final grades before classes would start. I would reach out to the counselors! That was so helpful for me.

Any current students I can ask to PM me? I have a couple of general questions about Creighton!

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like for this school

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like for this school
Someone asked this in the info session I was at and they said it varied each year but I think they said that last year it was ~40 that were accepted off the alternate list.

Randomly checked the portal and saw an A. Interviewed week of 2/1.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Is there any way to see the names of your interviewers? I completely forgot to write down my student interviewer's name...

Someone asked this in the info session I was at and they said it varied each year but I think they said that last year it was ~40 that were accepted off the alternate list.
I wonder if it would be more this year because of the Phoenix campus!

They said they are accepting more (~230 this time. 100 for phoenix included). So I expect more WL movement.

Is there any way to see the names of your interviewers? I completely forgot to write down my student interviewer's name...
Need to email admissions I think...

Sounds like you had a great interview! I didn’t have statistics so I took it online through university of Phoenix. It was easy and only 5 weeks so maybe see if they have physiology. If you register for a class just update them. I was waitlisted but when I met with the counselor she said that update was good enough and they would just need the final grades before classes would start. I would reach out to the counselors! That was so helpful for me.
Thank you, this is very comforting. I will look into it. So far my plan is to look into a bunch of different schools for options for the class since I know some might fill up if I am a visiting student but I will definitely check this out. Also I noticed your username is badger, did you got to UW-Madison by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know for sure if they were accepted to the campus they put down? I was under the impression if we were accepted it meant that the campus we put down was guaranteed, but then heard from admissions that until assignments are sent out, nothing is guaranteed. Was just wondering if anyone knew something else?

Does anyone know for sure if they were accepted to the campus they put down? I was under the impression if we were accepted it meant that the campus we put down was guaranteed, but then heard from admissions that until assignments are sent out, nothing is guaranteed. Was just wondering if anyone knew something else?
they said if you are accepted to certain campus (ohama or phoenix) but you want to go another campus, then you can request to put yourself on alternate list for another campus after that alternate list opens up. That's what I heard. They said interviwers cannot see the preferred campus on secondary and does not consider that that much. even if you put your preferred campus as ohama, you can still be assigned to phoenix depending on your fits.

To those that have already interviewed, did you wear formal attire for the Friday Q/A?

they said if you are accepted to certain campus (ohama or phoenix) but you want to go another campus, then you can request to put yourself on alternate list for another campus after that alternate list opens up. That's what I heard. They said interviwers cannot see the preferred campus on secondary and does not consider that that much. even if you put your preferred campus as ohama, you can still be assigned to phoenix depending on your fits.
Thanks. I was accepted and asked to switch campuses. The reason I posted that was bc they responded in a way that seemed like no one as of yet has a guaranteed campus, and I was wondering if anyone heard otherwise.

Thanks. I was accepted and asked to switch campuses. The reason I posted that was bc they responded in a way that seemed like no one as of yet has a guaranteed campus, and I was wondering if anyone heard otherwise.
that's weird. from what I heard from the info session, it seemed that accepted ones will have guaranteed, assigned campus.. (since they said "alternate list" for other campus if you want to switch) probably you're right since the info I got is from group virtual visit session.

So I initially put Omaha as my preferred campus and when I was accepted that was what my portal had for the campus assignment. A month or so ago though I had a change of heart and emailed admissions about my preference change and she said she'll put a note in my file and that they'd take it into consideration. This whole time my portal still said Omaha and then all of a sudden last week my campus assignment on the portal changed to Phoenix. Not sure the process that went into the change though.

• Love
So I initially put Omaha as my preferred campus and when I was accepted that was what my portal had for the campus assignment. A month or so ago though I had a change of heart and emailed admissions about my preference change and she said she'll put a note in my file and that they'd take it into consideration. This whole time my portal still said Omaha and then all of a sudden last week my campus assignment on the portal changed to Phoenix. Not sure the process that went into the change though.
Oh wow thanks a lot. I had the same conversation w Kathy 😭 except last week. When you say on the portal, are you referring to where we had to pick which campus we preferred on the secondary? Or is it somewhere else?

So I wrote a traditional update letter (in paragraph format) of 2 new volunteer activities and 1 volunteering/leadership activity, and I combined it with an LoInterest paragraph. Would this letter be uploaded in the "Extracurricular Activity" column?

Generally, a hard requirement is just that, a requirement. It may be unlikely Adcom would make and exception based on your other coursework which most applicants would also have and managed to get the Physiology in process this semester or completed. Additionally, even asking for an exception may indicate an absence of familiarity with the institution's application process and proper planning and preparation. You may want to further reconsider sending a letter or intent emphasizing you will take a required prerequisite in exchange of Adcom having to provide you an A under the condition you complete it. It may send the vibe you are only interested in something they find very important, physiology, if it ensures an A. They got around 10,000 applications this year. Admissions are highly competitive, you were an outstanding candidate to even get an interview, congrats! It may be unusual for Adcom to grant an acceptance without an update or course schedule that indicates intent and registered to complete a requirement. Adcom also takes into consideration the rigor of the institution and for Physiology may not allow credit from a Junior College, but mandate a credible 4 year college or university. Ideally, you would be "complete" by the 1st week in May when the bulk of the waitlist movement takes place, but June is generally a hard deadline. There may be a college or university that offers Physiology online that you may be able to self study and squeeze in quick, eg. Penn State, University of Illinois, and even Creighton's very own partner Arizona State University Online. It can be hard for applicants to ensure all pre-requisites are met, often it is the lab requirements that applicants may overlook. Good luck, hang in there! You can do it there is still some of the cycle left.

Did the counselor indicate they would accept Statistics 1 from the University of Phoenix to meet the requirement? UOP can be pricy, were you able to use a coupon code or have to pay full freight for the Stats class?

Did the counselor indicate they would accept Statistics 1 from the University of Phoenix to meet the requirement? UOP can be pricy, were you able to use a coupon code or have to pay full freight for the Stats class?
I didn’t confirm directly but I did with another school. I got a small discount because of where I work. Since I have a full time job and graduated in December this was the best for me to take the last two classes I needed. Definitely if you have a cheaper option I’d do that!

Hey! I'm in a similar position to you and if you're open to online courses, I'd recommend this class. Creighton actually recommended it to me: Human Physiology | UC San Diego Extension

Hey! I'm in a similar position to you and if you're open to online courses, I'd recommend this class. Creighton actually recommended it to me: Human Physiology | UC San Diego Extension
Was there an issue with the class you cited ending on 6/14/2021? On the Admin Site Creighton notes, "Please note that all course requirements must be completed by June 1 of the entrance year. The Office of Medical Admissions encourages students to complete all academic requirements prior to sitting for the MCAT." Are they flexible with the June 1st date?

Oh wow thanks a lot. I had the same conversation w Kathy 😭 except last week. When you say on the portal, are you referring to where we had to pick which campus we preferred on the secondary? Or is it somewhere else?
So on the portal if you click on your acceptance page, underneath the congrats message and above the 4 different links there's a line that says "campus assignment". It's separate from your actual secondary app

• Care
So on the portal if you click on your acceptance page, underneath the congrats message and above the 4 different links there's a line that says "campus assignment". It's separate from your actual secondary app
OHHH thanksss a lot gonna check when I’m home.

does anyone know how many more interview invites they will most likely send out?

does anyone know how many more interview invites they will most likely send out?
The most important thing is hang in there and stay positive! You got this! As with every year and this more than others ii's are extremely competitive even with applicants with high stats. I presume you applied to the standard 25 schools and have sent updates since your initial application conveying continued interest and additional aspects that strengthen your initial application. EG. Direct Patient Contact, Clinical and non clinical volunteerism, shadowing, research, employment, etc. Some, but not all institutions accept updates, but those that do, in fact look at them and know candidates that send updates are likely to accept keeping their yield numbers in tact. Schools want applicants that are interested in attending, not only as a safe school. Presuming your stats are competitive, some schools only count the last MCAT others average. Make a connection with the school, what will you contribute to the mission, show continued interest and I think you will be rewarded with the highly competitive ii! You can do it, stay positive in this cycle.

Did anyone have the Thank you message disappear from their portal today? Does it mean anything?

I received a II on Tuesday and there was only next week to choose times. A follow up email I received today said that these interviews are also for the wait list as the class is full so I'm assuming it is winding down unfortunately :/

Is Creighton considered a low or mid tier medical school?

I would say low tier but it's still a really great school :)
I personally would say mid tier. Yes, it is a less desirable location from the perspective of most people (because it is in Omaha and most people know nothing about Nebraska) but the students outcomes for those who attend Creighton Med is pretty phenomenal. I just think it is better then other schools that would be considered "low tier". Just my opinion though!

Last edited:
I received a II on Tuesday and there was only next week to choose times. A follow up email I received today said that these interviews are also for the wait list as the class is full so I'm assuming it is winding down unfortunately :/
Well that just makes me even more nervous for the decision coming out Monday lmao.

So the students interviewing next week just to be put on the waitlist?

Is Creighton considered a low or mid tier medical school?

Someone compiled a med school ranking list based on each school's 2020 average(?) research rating, primary care rating, and PD rank. Not that any ranking list really matters, but for what it's worth Creighton is decisively mid-tier with around/slight above average step 1 score. Check the Creighton SOM website for their year-to-year average step 1 scores.

Things might change with the new Phoenix campus opening and step 1 going away completely. I'm guessing that Phoenix will eventually become the preferred campus (at least for people not from the vicinity of Nebraska) despite it being a "satellite location" with newer faculty members. The service/research opportunities available are much better at Phoenix compared to Omaha. Many people would probably prefer to live in Phoenix regardless due to proximity to family, support system, outdoor activities, entertainment, etc. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
DAE think a decision might be coming today for people who interviewed on the week of 2/8?

Someone compiled a med school ranking list based on each school's 2020 average(?) research rating, primary care rating, and PD rank. Not that any ranking list really matters, but for what it's worth Creighton is decisively mid-tier with around/slight above average step 1 score. Check the Creighton SOM website for their year-to-year average step 1 scores.

Things might change with the new Phoenix campus opening and step 1 going away completely. I'm guessing that Phoenix will eventually become the preferred campus (at least for people not from the vicinity of Nebraska) despite it being a "satellite location" with newer faculty members. The service/research opportunities available are much better at Phoenix compared to Omaha. Many people would probably prefer to live in Phoenix regardless due to proximity to family, support system, outdoor activities, entertainment, etc. My 2 cents.

Could you elaborate on the better research opportunities at Phoenix? I like hearing that and wanted to know if you know that anecdotally or read it somewhere ? Either way I’d like to hea. Thanks

Anyone know how creightons waitlist works? If I interview this week will I automatically be at the bottom and likely not ever get accepted?

Anyone know how creightons waitlist works? If I interview this week will I automatically be at the bottom and likely not ever get accepted?
You’re not guaranteed to be looked at again (it depends on the characteristics of the person who withdrew) but you have to have updates in the areas they deemed weak or they won’t look at your app again. That’s what the counselor said when I met with her and she gave me concrete things to do to fix my app. I’d highly recommend going to their office hours! She said even if I didn’t go to Creighton they wanted to help me get in somewhere.

Could you elaborate on the better research opportunities at Phoenix? I like hearing that and wanted to know if you know that anecdotally or read it somewhere ? Either way I’d like to hea. Thanks
My information comes from friends who are current/past Creighton students, so you can count this as an anecdote.
As babygreenbeans mentioned, Barrow institute at St Joseph's Hospital is one of the best neuroscience research institutions in the US. Apart from Barrow, some Creighton students also do basic science/clinical research at Mayo Clinic. ASU offers more opportunities through the education alliance. U of A is another option although I'm not too familiar with it. Comparatively, your research options at Omaha are limited to Creighton and UNMC only. I'm pretty sure you will be able to find quality research opportunities on whichever campus you pick; Phoenix just seems to have more options right now.

Other than research, at Phoenix you also have a chance to serve a bigger and more diverse group of patients both locally and in Mexico.

• Care