Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call!! Sending all the good vibes to those still waiting, it will come!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
OMG I WENT DOWNSTAIRS TO COOK FOR 10 MINUTES AND CAME BACK TO A MISSED CALL FROM MSU! I CALLED THEM BACK AND NO ONE IS ANSWERING! WHAT IS GOING ON??????

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call!! Over the moon about this acceptance :soexcited:
Interviewed 12/2

Reactions: 8 users
Guys I got in!!! I have to look very calm right now because I'm in public but I am about to explode with emotions inside!!!

Reactions: 15 users
This wait is killing me!:(:(:( No email or call and today is the 30th day. Has anyone heard from them even after the 30 day period, or do they have to tell us something by the 30th day?

Guys I got in!!! I have to look very calm right now because I'm in public but I am about to explode with emotions inside!!!
lol did you also choose to type in lower case because you're in public?

congratulations, sounds like this was a long time coming

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else from the 11/16 interview group not hear back yet? Their office is closing soon and I'm getting more nervous :(

Does MSUCOM allow students to match into desired specialties?

Id say the school gives them all the opportunity they can, very much so student driven though. Largest OPTI out of all the DO schools im pretty sure.

Take a peek at the match list if u want, its quite solid

http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/MSUCOM/Osteopathic_Match.htm

http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Registrar/GME Results.pdf

http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/MSUCOM/Allopathic_Match.htm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The school gives you all the tools you need to succeed and potentially match into whatever specialty you would like. Many graduates do very well.
That being said, how you do on your boards, what your ECs look like, the effort you put into clinical rotations, the quality of letters you get, and other factors are ultimately up to you.

:) congrats to future fellow students

Withdrew my other acceptance, signed up for the last prereq I need....it's all coming together

I was fortunate enough to participate in the NYLF forum on medicine in high school and my group leader was a DO med student. I'm going to speak about that in addition to the one time I shadowed a DO. I would say if you haven't done any shadowing to speak about articles you've read by DO's or talks by DO's you've seen online. Exposure doesn't necessarily equal shadowing (at least that's my take).
I did NYLF to lol! I just go in here yesterday!

Deposit paid! Hoping there's a spot for me in Detroit

Hey everyone -- strongly encouraging those who are currently admitted student to apply for scholarships at this point in time. Though you may not get one this year, keep applying every year. There is a lot of money to go around and I suggest everyone who could use some help make a habit of bettering their candidacy for scholarships and continually applying. Who knows -- a bit (or a lot) of money here or there can make a big difference. :)

Hey everyone -- strongly encouraging those who are currently admitted student to apply for scholarships at this point in time. Though you may not get one this year, keep applying every year. There is a lot of money to go around and I suggest everyone who could use some help make a habit of bettering their candidacy for scholarships and continually applying. Who knows -- a bit (or a lot) of money here or there can make a big difference. :)
Wait. How do we do this?! I don't think we have had any communication out it.

Hi guys, does anyone know how many students are at each of the three campuses?

Is there anything we have to do besides fill out the general scholarship application form? It wasn't very specific.

Question to anyone who may know the answer:

How many elective rotations does MSU allow you to have through your 3rd/4rth year? I'm been reading their site for a while but haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance!

Is there anything we have to do besides fill out the general scholarship application form? It wasn't very specific.
There's the online application form here at the top of the page: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/Scholarships.htm
Additionally, read through this guide: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/Applying for College Scholarships 2016.pdf

Besides the online form, all you have to do is write a short, 300 word essay. Information about submitting that essay is at the top of the online application. :)

Invited to interview for PhD side of DO-PhD. Anyone else considering this dual degree program? I feel alone in my craziness.

200 EL, 50 each at the sites
Thank you!

Does anyone know if MSUCOM has pass/fail or letter grades or something else?

Also, how much time does msucom give its students to study for the comlex and usmle? Thanks!

Last edited:
There's the online application form here at the top of the page: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/Scholarships.htm
Additionally, read through this guide: http://com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/Applying for College Scholarships 2016.pdf

Besides the online form, all you have to do is write a short, 300 word essay. Information about submitting that essay is at the top of the online application. :)
Done! Thanks for letting me know, I would have totally missed the deadline.

Hey future classmates, is anyone else looking for housing near the campus? Any suggestions where COM students mostly live?
I'm hoping to find a few roommates to live with next June:)

Hey future classmates, is anyone else looking for housing near the campus? Any suggestions where COM students mostly live?

I'm from the area and I highly recommend you read reviews for every apartment building you are considering. A few of my friends lived places that were not well insulated so their heat bill during the winter was insanely high.
Check out the facebook group! People are posting about roommates and housing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/187433505011481/

I know for me personally it was worth it to look at the surrounding areas. The quality goes up and the price goes down, so I'll be living 5 miles away from Fee in Lansing!

I'm from the area and I highly recommend you read reviews for every apartment building you are considering. A few of my friends lived places that were not well insulated so their heat bill during the winter was insanely high.
Check out the facebook group! People are posting about roommates and housing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/187433505011481/
I know for me personally it was worth it to look at the surrounding areas. The quality goes up and the price goes down, so I'll be living 5 miles away from Fee in Lansing!

Thanks, thats awesome! I'll definitely do lots of homework before placing a lease!

I guess living further is nice but hows driving in the winter?

Thanks, thats awesome! I'll definitely do lots of homework before placing a lease!

I guess living further is nice but hows driving in the winter?

If youre from the north and youre a snow driving vet, i think driving 5 miles is a non-issue. But if it's something new to you it can definitely take a bit to get used to! Everyone seems to manage pretty well, i know a lot of people that stick to big cars, 4WD, and AWD tho lol.

Traffic on campus gets rough during the school year, but luckily with fee you can drive there without having to go through campus.

All in all the roads do get pretty bad from time to time, but its usually manageable but i may be bias because ive never lived anywhere else lol

Like mentioned above though all apartments close to campus are ridiculously more expensive than apartments in like okemos and lansing

If youre from the north and youre a snow driving vet, i think driving 5 miles is a non-issue. But if it's something new to you it can definitely take a bit to get used to! Everyone seems to manage pretty well, i know a lot of people that stick to big cars, 4WD, and AWD tho lol.

Traffic on campus gets rough during the school year, but luckily with fee you can drive there without having to go through campus.

All in all the roads do get pretty bad from time to time, but its usually manageable but i may be bias because ive never lived anywhere else lol

Like mentioned above though all apartments close to campus are ridiculously more expensive than apartments in like okemos and lansing

Thanks for your reply @Scrubs101 , it really helped!

Just for some specifics: a lot of COM students live in Berrytree, the Lodges, and Glenwood. Scattered students live out in Lansing, Okemos, or Holt. Apartments nearby are much more expensive than what you can find a few miles out, but it's also nice to live close enough to walk and not worry about driving in for an early morning exam. Plus, parking passes can be pretty expensive. Definitely some tradeoffs you'll have to weigh.

Is there any hope of getting an II this late? (Assuming IIs aren't already over). This was my number one school and I thought my stats were competitive here (3.7 511).

So I read that the exams will be BYOL (bring your own laptop). Does this mean we are going to have take-home exams or are they all still going to be in class?

So I read that the exams will be BYOL (bring your own laptop). Does this mean we are going to have take-home exams or are they all still going to be in class?

No such thing as take-home exams. They are all in class and you will need either a laptop or an iPad I highly recommend you guys buy an iPad because exam soft really messes with your computer

Just for some specifics: a lot of COM students live in Berrytree, the Lodges, and Glenwood. Scattered students live out in Lansing, Okemos, or Holt. Apartments nearby are much more expensive than what you can find a few miles out, but it's also nice to live close enough to walk and not worry about driving in for an early morning exam. Plus, parking passes can be pretty expensive. Definitely some tradeoffs you'll have to weigh.
Are there any other places in EL you recommend? I visited all those apartments and just couldn't get over how $$$$ it was for the quality.

Are there any other places in EL you recommend? I visited all those apartments and just couldn't get over how $$$$ it was for the quality.
Unfortunately there are no apartments I know of within a few miles that are a good deal. You're going to pay a fair amount being on campus unless you find something on Craigslist or have a decent number of roommates. I lived out in Lansing my first year and only paid $500-600/month for a 1BR townhouse... but closer to $1,000 a month my second year for a 1BR near campus. And it was only 2/3 the size. I personally found the commute and distance to be an important factor. For a number of factors, though, I would go for a roommate or two if I were to do it again.

Unfortunately there are no apartments I know of within a few miles that are a good deal. You're going to pay a fair amount being on campus unless you find something on Craigslist or have a decent number of roommates. I lived out in Lansing my first year and only paid $500-600/month for a 1BR townhouse... but closer to $1,000 a month my second year for a 1BR near campus. And it was only 2/3 the size. I personally found the commute and distance to be an important factor. For a number of factors, though, I would go for a roommate or two if I were to do it again.
So if you had to do it again, you wouldn't recommend living in Lansing?

So if you had to do it again, you wouldn't recommend living in Lansing?
Naw, I enjoyed my time there and could have easily stayed for two years. There's lots of cool stuff in Lansing. It just wasn't the best fit for me, personally, since I would rather walk to class and live closer to other students. It's more about what you're looking for. Living space, price, distance to campus... you're going to have to compromise on at least one of those factors. For me the distance was the most critical piece since I liked to attend morning lectures and never got up early enough for enough of a buffer to feel comfortable if my (rather old) car were to give out on an exam morning.

Naw, I enjoyed my time there and could have easily stayed for two years. There's lots of cool stuff in Lansing. It just wasn't the best fit for me, personally, since I would rather walk to class and live closer to other students. It's more about what you're looking for. Living space, price, distance to campus... you're going to have to compromise on at least one of those factors. For me the distance was the most critical piece since I liked to attend morning lectures and never got up early enough for enough of a buffer to feel comfortable if my (rather old) car were to give out on an exam morning.
So if I'm a morning person and drive a 2015 car I'll be fine? :rolleyes:

So if I'm a morning person and drive a 2015 car I'll be fine? :rolleyes:
Haha, there you go. Problems solved!

My point is that plenty of classmates lived further than I ever did and made it just fine. It was just more comfortable for me to live within walking distance to Fee, near my med school buddies, and with a clubhouse that included a "gym" and unlimited popcorn/coffee. :D Money and space were less relevant. What matters to you is... up to you.

No such thing as take-home exams. They are all in class and you will need either a laptop or an iPad I highly recommend you guys buy an iPad because exam soft really messes with your computer

According to the website, the class of 2021 can't use iPads or tablets. With that being the case would you just recommend we get newer laptops to deal with the software better?

http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2021/Computer Based Testing.htm

Haha, there you go. Problems solved!

My point is that plenty of classmates lived further than I ever did and made it just fine. It was just more comfortable for me to live within walking distance to Fee, near my med school buddies, and with a clubhouse that included a "gym" and unlimited popcorn/coffee. :D Money and space were less relevant. What matters to you is... up to you.
Totally get it. For some people, being close to school and their squad is important and others would rather have more space from the campus and pick and choose when they're there.

According to the website, the class of 2021 can't use iPads or tablets. With that being the case would you just recommend we get newer laptops to deal with the software better?

http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2021/Computer Based Testing.htm

I would recommend getting a crappy laptop but you only use for the exam. It destroyed my HP and it was literally a year old so I had to get a new laptop and I put exam soft on my iPad and it's been OK since. That's weird that they are changing the testing mode and no longer allow tablet.