Midwestern schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between AZCOM and CCOM? (I am assuming the first two years are the same.)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about either, but I'd assume that their teaching philosophies and academic programs are similar if not identical. Obviously, though, their facilities and faculties are different. And of course there are huge differences between phoenix and chicago.

I interviewed at both places, (accepted at AZCOM) and I must say they are both excellent schools. There are some differences between them, but they are mainly limited to how the rotations are done. AZCOM is relatively new, and for this reason they have fewer affiliations in the Phoenix area, so they allow their students to go where they want to go to do their rotations. CCOM is established in the Chicago area with many more affiliations with hospitals and clinics; therefore, they have less flexability in where the student does their rotations. There are positive and negative to both ways. One other difference that I might mention is that when I was at AZCOM, the 3rd year that interviewed me stated that they might be changing their curriculum so that students don't get the summer after their first year off. Instead they will be doing pathology. I think that is a real bummer, but I don't know how much weight to give to that statement. Both schools do have similar test schedules and the like. I thought they were very much alike, but they are two completely different schools at the same time. I hope that made sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZOM has preceptor based rotations, so you get more direct guidance under one physician. ROtations are in clinics more than hospitals. Yes, these are all throughout the country. CCOM has traditional rotations located mostly in Chicago area.

AZCOM is also proud of the fact that they have been #1 in board exam scores for the past two years (since they opened the school in 95)

These are the main differences that I noted when interviewing at both places.

can azcomer's do rotations throught ccom and the surrounding chicago area?? there are quite a few hospitals in chicago i'd like to try and get a residency in :) My feeling at azcom is that they took all that didn't work at ccom and removed it, then looked at what has proven to work at ccom and improved it. That was they said in the interview anyway. Osteopeddoc-- is there any way to find that stat?? i was super impressed when i found that out and would like to show friends/family.

I wish I remember the name of the person who told us the fact, but the # they gave us for phone contact with clinical education is-(602) 572-3383. I'm sure if you call the school, and ask for info, they would direct you to him. If you interviewed their, you also probably were told that Residency Directors were asked to rank AZCOM students (1-10) on how prepared they were, and the average is around 7-8. I thought those facts were impressive. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by osteopeddoc
If you interviewed their, you also probably were told that Residency Directors were asked to rank AZCOM students (1-10) on how prepared they were, and the average is around 7-8. I thought those facts were impressive. Hope that helps.

I mioght have heard wrong, but i thought the Dir. of Clinical Education told us that the average for DO students was 7-8, but AZCOM was slightly below the 9. Did I hear wrong?

His point was in the context that AZCOM students were scoring very well on both COMLEX 1 and 2, and were also being percieved very well by program directors. Thanks for the reply and clarification..

From my understanding, 5 was suppose to indicate the average student they see in residency, and 10 the most superb student. ...Regardless, it was in favor of the AZCOM students.I guess the reasoning was that they got more experience with the direct preceptor interactions and therefore were more prepared for residency. by the way, do you recall the name of the director that spoke to interviewees? I'm not sure I have even the right #. thanks.

From my understanding, 5 was suppose to indicate the average student they see in residency, and 10 the most superb student. ...Regardless, it was in favor of the AZCOM students.I guess the reasoning was that they got more experience with the direct preceptor interactions and therefore were more prepared for residency. by the way, do you recall the name of the director that spoke to interviewees? I'm not sure I have even the right #. thanks.

I totally forgot the name, but I might have it somewhere. I'll PM you if I find it.

In any case, the point of what was told was that AZCOM students are getting good reviews in both didactic and clinical arenas. This is in large part due to the innovative curriculum at AZCOM.