Midwestern University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everybody! I am currently a first years student! I just wanted to hop on here and say I am so sorry that you are having to go through this process all online! But I’m going to say this, a lot of people complain about the price of Midwestern, but I was sold the second I stepped on campus. I was accepted into many other universities that were a couple thousand dollars cheaper, but I didn’t think their programs even compared to Midwestern! Midwestern actually gets you day one ready, so the second you graduate you have a job and you’re able to do everything required of you! The experience you get from Midwestern gets you much higher paying jobs as well! And going back to how amazing the campus is, I have never been on a prettier, more welcoming campus than Midwestern! All the staff and students are so welcoming and friendly! It been very hard being a first year and doing primarily online classes, but our professors and deans have made it a much easier transition. If any of you have questions about the campus or curriculum please feel free to message me and ask questions. I may be slightly biased, but I love my school! Alsooo just throwing this out here, we start surgeries second year and have opportunities to start first year, whereas at other schools you start surgeries 3rd/4th year. Oh and last thing, there’s a reason for the high tuition, almost all of our equipment that we use is a few years old. Our surgery room and anatomy lab are so pretty and have the best of the best equipment! Also we have some of the best professors, so in my opinion you get what you pay for!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I received my interview invite October 14th. But it would only allow me to select January 13th or 20th as my interview day. I was wondering if they are taking a pause from interviews until then?
Last year they did take a break for the holidays, so acceptances will be delayed during that time and so will interviews. But usually they’ll do interviews at the beginning of December

Hi i received a waitlist for an interview at MWU-AZCOM... does anyone know whether this is a soft rejection or not? has anyone ever actually gotten an interview after receiving this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi i received a waitlist for an interview at MWU-AZCOM... does anyone know whether this is a soft rejection or not? has anyone ever actually gotten an interview after receiving this?
I and a couple of others on this thread were also put on the waitlist to interview and I haven't heard anything more. It seems like they haven't really been sending actual interview invites but instead have been sending out these waitlisted interviews. I'm taking it as a good sign because I think they may be screening for whether we are good candidates vs. straight out rejections.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your posting history it looks like you are pre-med, but this thread is for the Midwestern veterinary school FYI

I and a couple of others on this thread were also put on the waitlist to interview and I haven't heard anything more. It seems like they haven't really been sending actual interview invites but instead have been sending out these waitlisted interviews. I'm taking it as a good sign because I think they may be screening for whether we are good candidates vs. straight out rejections.
They actually take A LOT of people off the wait list late January/early February! So don’t get your guys’ hopes up!

They actually take A LOT of people off the wait list late January/early February! So don’t get your guys’ hopes up!
Sorry do you mean they take a lot of people off of the interview waitlist? Thanks!

Also, are you saying we should prepare for a letdown? I’m kind of confused by your post. Thanks for clarification!

Hi Guys! I was accepted to Midwestern about three weeks ago! (I just found out about this awesome website). I have a question to current students... I study and learn better in group settings, is there generally study groups? Also how have proffessors been interacting with you during the pandemic (currently I have a proffessor in my undergrad that wont answer emails)? Thank you!!!

Congrats to everyone else that was accepted! I hope we are future classmates!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everybody! I am currently a first years student! I just wanted to hop on here and say I am so sorry that you are having to go through this process all online! But I’m going to say this, a lot of people complain about the price of Midwestern, but I was sold the second I stepped on campus. I was accepted into many other universities that were a couple thousand dollars cheaper, but I didn’t think their programs even compared to Midwestern! Midwestern actually gets you day one ready, so the second you graduate you have a job and you’re able to do everything required of you! The experience you get from Midwestern gets you much higher paying jobs as well! And going back to how amazing the campus is, I have never been on a prettier, more welcoming campus than Midwestern! All the staff and students are so welcoming and friendly! It been very hard being a first year and doing primarily online classes, but our professors and deans have made it a much easier transition. If any of you have questions about the campus or curriculum please feel free to message me and ask questions. I may be slightly biased, but I love my school! Alsooo just throwing this out here, we start surgeries second year and have opportunities to start first year, whereas at other schools you start surgeries 3rd/4th year. Oh and last thing, there’s a reason for the high tuition, almost all of our equipment that we use is a few years old. Our surgery room and anatomy lab are so pretty and have the best of the best equipment! Also we have some of the best professors, so in my opinion you get what you pay for!
How are the scholarships there. Like did they give you a financial aid package or something similar to help with the cost

Hi Guys! I was accepted to Midwestern about three weeks ago! (I just found out about this awesome website). I have a question to current students... I study and learn better in group settings, is there generally study groups? Also how have proffessors been interacting with you during the pandemic (currently I have a proffessor in my undergrad that wont answer emails)? Thank you!!!

I have study groups with my friends! There’s also group tutoring available closer to an exam (done by an upperclassman). I haven’t had issues interacting with faculty (3rd year here so all of them are clinical faculty), and I highly recommend utilizing your class liaisons for any general concerns because it’s easier for 1-2 people to raise concerns to faculty vs 45 individuals in a class.

How are the scholarships there. Like did they give you a financial aid package or something similar to help with the cost

You can apply for scholarships, I’ve applied for a few and while they help they tend to be on the smaller side in comparison to overall costs (any bit helps though right?). But I just put in a FAFSA renewal and I’ll get an email/ portal update about what I qualify for and a breakdown of how that can be used for tuition as well as general cost of living (rent, textbooks, transportation, food, etc.). They distribute the aid in your account every quarter (for example I get a fund distribution into my bank account on November 23rd for the new quarter).

Hi all! My app was verified Oct. 1 (it took about 3 weeks), I got the portal set up info but haven't received any other emails, no waitlist or interview. I'm setting myself up for that being a bad sign but wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat. Also, I am curious as to where everyone is academic wise, did you guys already graduate or still attending? I ask because I am still attending and will be done in the spring. Thanks and good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, are you saying we should prepare for a letdown? I’m kind of confused by your post. Thanks for clarification!
Sorry! They take a lot of people off the interview waitlist, so if you’re on the waitlist you will most likely be taken off and interviewed!

A majority of scholarships are for upper classman, so first year you don’t get any scholarships from the school, but there are a lot of secondary scholarships that you can apply to. Unfortunately I haven’t been successful with that yet, but it doesn’t hurt to apply to as many scholarships as possible. There is also an army scholarship thats pays for all of your schooling and housing if you would want to be a veterinarian in the military. It is called HPSP, it is super competitive but 100% worth it if you plan on going the military route.

There are tons of study groups! You are actually placed in groups for labs and classes so it helps to get you to know people, since were online quite a bit.
Our professors are literally the best. They reply to any questions within an hour usually. I honestly love our professors so much. They have made our transition to online very easy! They also update all recorded lectures a couple hours after the live lecture, and you have full access to all the PowerPoint lectures. Also our professors make themselves available, so if you need help you can email them and a lot of the time they hop right on to a zoom call.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry! They take a lot of people off the interview waitlist, so if you’re on the waitlist you will most likely be taken off and interviewed!
Also do not expect a letdown from Midwestern unless they straight up tell you no. Last year some students got pulled off the waitlist as late as March and are now in my class.

That makes me feel so much better, thanks for the heads up! I was pretty worried about being waitlisted for an interview and couldn't tell if that was good news or bad lol

Had an interview today. Consisted of an introduction, the actual interview, a student panel, and a virtual tour of the school. It was a really nice experience and everyone was very friendly!

Hi! My interview is scheduled for Dec. 1st, I am so nervous about it being online! Can you give me any advice or what to expect? Thank you and Congrats!

For any current student or future students. Does anyone know who to get into contact with for a tour of the campus and possibly the apartment complex?

For any current student or future students. Does anyone know who to get into contact with for a tour of the campus and possibly the apartment complex?

I think someone earlier posted that they were able to email someone to secure a tour. I’m not sure if they offer campus housing tours but you can probably email somebody to ask if they offer tours. They also have apartment pictures on the MWU website as well as a floor plan.

Just got the email that I’ve been waitlisted for an interview. Pretty disappointed because I felt like my stats were in range for Midwestern and I really like the school. I feel like this bodes poorly for my application overall :(

• Care
I received an interview invite this morning, cant wait! I wouldn't worry much if you have not received an email at all. Even if you get waitlisted do not get discouraged, especially this early in the application cycle!

You can contact Michael Matousek in the admissions office. He gave my husband and I a tour of all the major buildings that as a vet student I would use. He might be able to give a tour of the apartment complex too, but you'd have to ask. He did offer to give a tour of the student apartment part of campus, but we are considering off campus housing so didn't tour that part of the campus.

Hi all! My app was verified Oct. 1 (it took about 3 weeks), I got the portal set up info but haven't received any other emails, no waitlist or interview. I'm setting myself up for that being a bad sign but wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat. Also, I am curious as to where everyone is academic wise, did you guys already graduate or still attending? I ask because I am still attending and will be done in the spring. Thanks and good luck everybody!
I will be graduating this December with a B.S. in Biology and minor in Chemistry

I graduated last semester with a degree in Biology B.S and a minor in psychology.

Has anyone that interviewed on Oct 28th heard anything? I know they said it could take a month, but earlier interviewees heard back sooner so just curious!!

I graduated in 2015 with a BS in Animal Science, BA in French studies, and a minor in Chemistry. Then pursued a Masters in Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology (graduated 2018). Been working the past 2 years in Texas A&M's Vet hospital in the Clinical Microbiology lab.

(This is actually my 4th application cycle, so I'm so excited to finally be starting vet school next Fall!!)

Has anyone that interviewed on Oct 28th heard anything? I know they said it could take a month, but earlier interviewees heard back sooner so just curious!!
Just FYI we are currently in the middle of finals week so things might be delayed a smidge with faculty and administrators being busy! :) Don't worry! Im sure you'll hear soon.

For current students how is the apartment complex on campus? trying to decide if I want a studio or 1 bedroom. Or if I should look at apartments off campus!?

Has anyone applied for the DVM/MPH program? Admissions told me the application would be available on the portal this month but I'm not able to find it.

I was in a similar situation. People that I interviewed with heard back about a month after, but I received my acceptance letter about 5 weeks after the interview

Has anyone applied for the DVM/MPH program? Admissions told me the application would be available on the portal this month but I'm not able to find it.
Current students got a email and it said it would be available starting December 1st!

What are current students thought on living? I am torn whether to apply for the on campus apartments or to go off campus or to even get a roommate!

What are current students thought on living? I am torn whether to apply for the on campus apartments or to go off campus or to even get a roommate!

I think it depends on preference. I knew I didn’t want a roommate (despite it being cheaper). Some of my peers have roommates in our class, others live on campus alone and some off campus. The convenience of on-campus was definitely appealing and I’m jealous of being so close to classrooms. But, with pets getting a pet friendly was super difficult so I opted for off-campus apartment! If I didn’t have pets then I would’ve done on-campus for sure.

I have heard that on campus is very competitive, so apply the day applications open. I chose to live off campus, but I live right across the street and walk to school. I personally love my apartment off campus. If you opt to live off campus, there’s some amazing options right across the street from school. There is San Prado, San Lagos, and Sage stone. They’re all considered luxury apartments, meaning they have pools, gyms and a common area where you can study.

Just got my acceptance via the portal after interviewing on Oct. 28th!! So excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Just checked my portal and realized I got an acceptance!!! I'm a 3rd time applicant but this was my first time applying to Midwestern. My interview was on 11/18! I couldn't be happier!! Waiting to hear back from 7 other schools but Midwestern is definitely a top choice. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone else is curious about the interview, I can share my experience. I can't remember if someone else has already done this but I figure I might as well since I know I was nervous too. So the two interviewers really just had one question after another and they only followed up on one of my answers with an additional question. The majority were specific situations and how I would respond to them like if a veterinarian asked you to carry out a procedure you weren't comfortable with, how would you react? Also, there were several questions on controversies within veterinary medicine and what may concern me in the future. They also asked why I would choose Midwestern which is a given in most vet school interviews. I did not get any questions about anything on my VMCAS. They asked how my experiences have prepared me for the career, but that was about as close as it got. There was plenty of time for you to ask your own questions at the end so make sure to have at least one or two good ones. They answered them with a lot of detail which was helpful. It was a short interview (just under 30 minutes) but I felt like a lot was packed in that time. I did not prepare too much, and I think that worked in my favor as I just answered the questions as honestly as I could. If I could recommend anything to study for, I would just say the controversies question. It did not mess me up, but I wish I had more to go off of. Sorry this was so long! Good luck to everyone, it really was an easy process other than the last minute time changes for interviews.
Thank you for this insight! It helps a lot to ease some nerves for mine next week :)

Anyone work on FAFSA yet?
So I noticed that if you are independent you aren't required to put the information based on your parents' income/taxes. However, it says if you are a professional student, it says you should. Any one know why this is the case? And how many of y'all older students supply this info?

Anyone work on FAFSA yet?
So I noticed that if you are independent you aren't required to put the information based on your parents' income/taxes. However, it says if you are a professional student, it says you should. Any one know why this is the case? And how many of y'all older students supply this info?
I’m not sure why it says to, but I never do

Just checked my portal and realized I got an acceptance!!! I'm a 3rd time applicant but this was my first time applying to Midwestern. My interview was on 11/18! I couldn't be happier!! Waiting to hear back from 7 other schools but Midwestern is definitely a top choice. Good luck to everyone!!
May I ask why Midwestern is your top school out of the 7 that you applied to? Thanks in advance!

May I ask why Midwestern is your top school out of the 7 that you applied to? Thanks in advance!
Yes of course! I really loved the school’s philosophy of graduating students to be “day one ready,” the hands on experience starting year one, and the state of the art facilities! I will be focusing on large and production animal medicine, so I really liked the idea of being able to make some of my clinical year my own. How the admissions committee described it would be if I wanted to go back home to Georgia and do some large animal rotations there, I would be able to do that! The interview process is what really sold me on the school though! I got really great vibes from the entire process, especially during the interview! I’m also interested in pursuing a dual degree, and I know Midwestern just started a DVM/MPH program. 😊

Hey guys! I hope you all are doing well and had a great Thanksgiving! Things have been busy lately and I may have missed it but I wanted to confirm the start date of classes. I am kind of confused on the whole set up process and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some more questions. (I do have the 2021-2022 curriculum saved but I wanted to confirm with you)

1. When did classes start for you (the first year), was it around the first week of June like the curriculum says? I guess another way to ask this would be is the draft curriculum (summer to spring) accurate?

2. When do we typically get more information regarding classes and any other information we may need before starting?

3. What does the typical week look like for first year students? Is it everyday and if so what are the typical hours?

I may ask more questions in the future but I would appreciate any help you can give. :)

Hey guys! I hope you all are doing well and had a great Thanksgiving! Things have been busy lately and I may have missed it but I wanted to confirm the start date of classes. I am kind of confused on the whole set up process and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some more questions. (I do have the 2021-2022 curriculum saved but I wanted to confirm with you)

1. When did classes start for you (the first year), was it around the first week of June like the curriculum says? I guess another way to ask this would be is the draft curriculum (summer to spring) accurate?

2. When do we typically get more information regarding classes and any other information we may need before starting?

3. What does the typical week look like for first year students? Is it everyday and if so what are the typical hours?

I may ask more questions in the future but I would appreciate any help you can give. :)

Are you referring to this academic calendar? file:///home/chronos/u-b21d777076ca2ea3cc9b130e15e3011d2788a572/MyFiles/Downloads/AZ_Acad_Cal_Master_21_22.pdf

Because according to that, we would be starting orientation August 23-25. Then classes starting August 30th.

That is most likely the document. I was referring to the one on this page., Academic Calendars - Midwestern University I wasn't able to see the one you posted but it may be the same one. The one I had included dates for all programs, I would assume, but I did not know how to tell which date was for the veterinary program. I was under the impression that it started in August but I wanted to double check after seeing the calendar.

Thank you so much for the info by the way! :)

1. You have to look for VM-I for the start of first year vet med students, it’s a bit confusing! Usually start -late August for the vet program.
2. You’ll get more information closer to late July/early August. The current students put together a little info graphic for y’all, and eventually sends recommended items to purchase. Really I’d wait before buying textbooks until the current 1st yrs sell them on the Facebook page for much cheaper than where you’ll find elsewhere. Otherwise a stethoscope is recommended along with coveralls and non-steel toe boots (won’t really need those two until spring quarter).
3. Classes usually everyday, hours vary depending on what’s scheduled. It can be as short as 9-1 or be as long as 8-5pm. It’ll also depend on how the world looks like come when your class starts because rn things are a bit different due to online COVID classes.

1. You have to look for VM-I for the start of first year vet med students, it’s a bit confusing! Usually start -late August for the vet program.
2. You’ll get more information closer to late July/early August. The current students put together a little info graphic for y’all, and eventually sends recommended items to purchase. Really I’d wait before buying textbooks until the current 1st yrs sell them on the Facebook page for much cheaper than where you’ll find elsewhere. Otherwise a stethoscope is recommended along with coveralls and non-steel toe boots (won’t really need those two until spring quarter).
3. Classes usually everyday, hours vary depending on what’s scheduled. It can be as short as 9-1 or be as long as 8-5pm. It’ll also depend on how the world looks like come when your class starts because rn things are a bit different due to online COVID classes.
You are amazing thank you so much! I appreciate the tips too! I am curious to see how things will look like in the world when we do eventually start classes :)