-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mizzou c/o 2024
Started by amwildlife
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats to all so far who have gotten an invite! Crossing my fingers mine is on the way 

OOS interview invite
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS interview invite! Congrats to everyone who has heard so far and best of luck to everyone else!
OOS interview invite yesterday!
Someone from the APVMA Facebook group called the admissions office today and they said that if you did not receive an interview invite yesterday, you are no longer under consideration. They will not send out official rejection emails until next year after interviews conclude, but basically no email yesterday means rejection. I'm sorry guys, I didn't get an email either 🙁 Best of luck to those who did!
Actually?!?!? OOS 4.0 GPA, GRE 170/170, interviews at other schools. I don't get it.
Actually?!?!? OOS 4.0 GPA, GRE 170/170, interviews at other schools. I don't get it.
Do you have an in-state option? If it's anything like college admissions, they may assume with your stats you'll get in elsewhere easily. Was there anything showing your connection to the school in your application, like friends/family in the area or any alum connections? And what were your experiences/LORs/essays like? Any number of reasons you might have been rejected. I'm in the same boat, although I know why I was rejected lol. Better luck for us at other schools/next year!
That’s all she said, but I suppose it’s not over until rejection letters come out.
Ahhh boo, well thanks for letting us know, I can stop frantically refreshing my e-mail haha. Better luck for the rest of us at other schools/next year, best of luck to you that got interviews!
stuckintheponyphase
Full Member
Those are my stats. I went and visited. I spoke very specifically about the tour and the school and everything that I liked about it. I also have 1,000+ hours of animal experience and I know I have great ELORS.
You wrote about Mizzou in your essays?
Wow, ****, yeah that's about as good as you could have done unless your essays left something lacking. I'm sorry, I also would have really thought that would do it for you!Those are my stats. I went and visited. I spoke very specifically about the tour and the school and everything that I liked about it. I also have 1,000+ hours of animal experience and I know I have great ELORS.
D
deleted676737
I don't know the exact number, but the year that I applied, there were ~90 qualified IS applicants and it looks like that's pretty typical.Is there any idea about how many IS applicants applied? Or when those interviews typically are?
IS interview invites don't go out until early to mid February. Interviews themselves run from late February to mid March. You've got a while left to wait.
The in state interviews are in February or March I think, and you are guaranteed an interview if you are in state and meet the admission criteria. Last year they had I think between 20% and 25% of in state students get accepted. So that would be like 250-300 in state students if my math is right since they take 60 IS students. I went to their open house and remember them saying that, but don't remember the exact numbers. If that is wrong I apologize! But that is what I remember hearing. I'm also not sure if that number includes all applicants or just qualified applicants that met the criteria.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The in state interviews are in February or March I think, and you are guaranteed an interview if you are in state and meet the admission criteria. Last year they had I think between 20% and 25% of in state students get accepted. So that would be like 250-300 in state students if my math is right since they take 60 IS students. I went to their open house and remember them saying that, but don't remember the exact numbers. If that is wrong I apologize! But that is what I remember hearing. I'm also not sure if that number includes all applicants or just qualified applicants that met the criteria.
If I remember correctly, it was less than 100. I think the statistic may be reversed, only less than 25% or IS did not get in last year.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh okay gotcha! I couldn't remember exactly, it's been since April I think since I went to the open house!If I remember correctly, it was less than 100. I think the statistic may be reversed, only less than 25% or IS did not get in last year.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Honestly, you could have gotten rejected for a variety of reasons. Request a file review? We can all improve on something.I do have an IS school. Assuming I would go elsewhere makes sense. I have 1,000+ hours animal experience, variety of experience, good LORS. I am truly mystified. If there was any reason I could think of, I wouldn’t feel surprised. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll get in somewhere!
You have to understand that grades aren’t everything. In fact at a lot of schools, they’re not MOST of it. If everyone who had a 4.0 and a 340 on the GRE got in, the averages of vet schools would be close to a 4.0 and a 340. But instead, it’s somewhere around a 3.6 most places, and maybe a 315. Schools care about who you are as a person and what you know about the field of veterinary medicine. They care about the diverse experiences you had, the knowledge you’ve obtained along the way, and your commitment to learning outside of what you had to do to get through your undergrad program.I do have an IS school. Assuming I would go elsewhere makes sense. I have 1,000+ hours animal experience, variety of experience, good LORS. I am truly mystified. If there was any reason I could think of, I wouldn’t feel surprised. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll get in somewhere!
Keep that in mind when you interview at other schools. Do not bank on your academics when you try to show people why you should be a vet. That’ll prove you can make it through didactic learning. Not that you can be a good veterinarian. And I’m in no way saying you’re lacking in ways that will make you a good vet. I’m saying don’t be surprised that there may be something in your application that this specific admissions committee didn’t love.
I am aware that I can't just bank on my academics. I also have 1,000+ vet hours (large, small, zoo), 1,000+ hours wildlife/research animal experience; high level of 4-H leadership and awards; do dance and art; hundreds of hours of community service; have been on eboards of several clubs since freshman year; am a peer academic advisor at my college. I am a vet assistant and the vets I have worked for keep asking me to come back.
Clearly there was something about my application that the admissions committee didn't love or they would have invited me to interview ;-) Partly I am surprised because I got an OOS interview at Davis--which I totally was not expecting. It just goes to show that there is a certain amount of unpredictability/randomness in the process.
There definitely is - I was looking at some of the older Successful Applicants and rejections lists, and some of them just baffle me. Generally in a good way, like "yay they took a chance on this person and looked at them holistically!", but a few "WTF this person has a stellar app how did they not even get an interview?!" It's SO hard to decide why a school decides on one person vs. another. This would be why I'm applying to 8 schools this time and probably like 15 next year if this year doesn't work out. Ya never know!🤣
I didn’t receive an email either! Really disheartening. I interviewed last year and even made it on the waitlist afterward. I felt a lot better about my application this year, but I guess it wasn’t what they wanted. Fingers crossed for my other schools, and for all of you as well!
I didn’t receive an email either! Really disheartening. I interviewed last year and even made it on the waitlist afterward. I felt a lot better about my application this year, but I guess it wasn’t what they wanted. Fingers crossed for my other schools, and for all of you as well!
I feel you. Who knows exactly what makes them pick one qualified candidate over another. I am keeping my fingers crossed for other schools...
Anyone know how many OOS interviews they offer?
I think the classes are almost half IS and half OOS. But don't know the exact amountAnyone know how many OOS interviews they offer?
Normally they end up having ~200 OOS interviews. Give or take.Anyone know how many OOS interviews they offer?
HopefulVet89
UTCVM c/o 2024
I did not receive an invite last week, so I guess that means rejection. 🙁 I thought I had a pretty good shot with getting an OOS invite. Oh well. I guess I just need to be thankful for the interviews I have gotten so far!
Same, rejection just came through. I'm a little miffed that schools seem to be moving away from individual file reviews, but I supposed they don't REALLY have to, we've just gotten used to them...Official Missouri rejection today
Lol same, it wasn't a surprise given the earlier posts on this thread. I also didn't REALLY think I had a chance of admissions - I mostly applied to Mizzou because one of my LORs was a Mizzou alum and it has such great tuition pricing for OOS students. Likely won't reapply there as my cumulative GPA won't ever be amazing, and their stated courseload & last-45 GPAs are all likely to be unattainable for me. My chief of staff at my hospital made me a paper chain to rip off rings as I get rejections, did that last week 😀 It's the only way I'm keeping a good mindset about it!I just got mine too! First rejection so far lol good luck to everyone else 🙂 we will get there!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I love that! Yeah I applied because I budgeted for another school and picked more because of price and an alumn told me to! I applied to 8 schools though so I’m not too worriedLol same, it wasn't a surprise given the earlier posts on this thread. I also didn't REALLY think I had a chance of admissions - I mostly applied to Mizzou because one of my LORs was a Mizzou alum and it has such great tuition pricing for OOS students. Likely won't reapply there as my cumulative GPA won't ever be amazing, and their stated courseload & last-45 GPAs are all likely to be unattainable for me. My chief of staff at my hospital made me a paper chain to rip off rings as I get rejections, did that last week 😀 It's the only way I'm keeping a good mindset about it!
Same boat ♀️ I am a bit sad because it was a top choice but oh well.Lol I love that! Yeah I applied because I budgeted for another school and picked more because of price and an alumn told me to! I applied to 8 schools though so I’m not too worried
So far 5 interviews, 1 rejection.
OOS rejection as well. Very similar situation as my cGPA is not competitive for Missouri. I only wish if you got rejected you got the $100 supplemental fee refunded [emoji23][emoji23]
Also OOS rejection. That's okay, I am staying positive about it.
D
deleted676737
So sorry to hear. 🙁 I'm rooting and hoping for K-State to come through for you this year!Also OOS rejection. That's okay, I am staying positive about it.
Hmm I didn’t get an interview invite last week, but also haven’t gotten my rejection yet. Maybe they’re going out in waves? Anyone else not heard anything yet?
Thank you! I did get an invite to K-State so I am thankful for that!So sorry to hear. 🙁 I'm rooting and hoping for K-State to come through for you this year!
Hmm I didn’t get an interview invite last week, but also haven’t gotten my rejection yet. Maybe they’re going out in waves? Anyone else not heard anything yet?
There is a small subsection of people who are pretty much held in limbo. They wait until they have all of the interview slots filled normally before sending out all final rejections. There are likely going to be a few spots that don’t get filled for interviews, and they will pull people from the “haven’t heard anything” group for those.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I didn’t receive an invite last week and I have not gotten a rejection email either. Holding out a little bit of hope!Hmm I didn’t get an interview invite last week, but also haven’t gotten my rejection yet. Maybe they’re going out in waves? Anyone else not heard anything yet?
stuckintheponyphase
Full Member
Has anyone here interviewed at Mizzou? I'm really curious as to how a 15 minute interview goes as my previous interviews have been much longer.
I interviewed last year and it was 30 minutes. I guess they changed it this year? My interview at LMU was 15 minutes though and it just went by super quick and they expected you to be brief and to the point.Has anyone here interviewed at Mizzou? I'm really curious as to how a 15 minute interview goes as my previous interviews have been much longer.
Hi! I'm a current first year at Mizzou! I agree with what's been already stated; they do expect your answers to be fairly brief, and when I interviewed they had already read my application and had specific questions about it. My interview was also supposed to be 15 minutes, but I went for about 20 so I guess there's a little wiggle room. But yeah it does go by quickly, but everyone is also super friendly and want you to feel as comfortable as possible.Has anyone here interviewed at Mizzou? I'm really curious as to how a 15 minute interview goes as my previous interviews have been much longer.
I know you already got a reply, but I am also a first year at Mizzou. The interview is basically just for them to ask any questions they had about your application, allow you to ask questions, and match a face to the application. It is super laid back and everyone is beyond helpful.Has anyone here interviewed at Mizzou? I'm really curious as to how a 15 minute interview goes as my previous interviews have been much longer.
Did anyone else get a Missouri residence verification email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get a Missouri residence verification email?
Nervous because I am a MO resident, but a military dependent so when I turned 21 I got a KS license as I go to school here because it was easier, but having a KS license does not make me a KS resident, I’m still a MO resident. They ask for a Missouri license and I’m like oh no
I'm not sure how being a military dependent factors in to that all as I know that can get wonky so I would definitely ask. However in general, you are considered a resident of a state if you have a drivers licence, license plates, voter registration, have a permanent address, and filed taxes in that state for the most recent year. Some of them also factor in employment status. Different states view a combination of these as being a resident of that state vs not.Nervous because I am a MO resident, but a military dependent so when I turned 21 I got a KS license as I go to school here because it was easier, but having a KS license does not make me a KS resident, I’m still a MO resident. They ask for a Missouri license and I’m like oh no
Last edited:
I'm not sure how being a military dependent factors in to that all as I know that can get wonky so I would definitely ask. However in general, you are considered a resident of a state if you haverivers licence, license plates, voter registration, have a permanent address, and filed taxes in that state for the most recent year. Some of them also factor in employment status. Different states view a combination of these as being a resident of that state vs not.
Thank you! My permanent residence is there, car registered, need to get my new voting card[emoji51] I’m going through it with my parents when I get home next week to make sure I have everything I need! Deadline is Feb 1 but I want to get it to them ASAP. The only thing I don’t have is the MO license, as I had enough proof to get a KS license since I go to school here and I didn’t want to drive to MO to get a new one! But I’m looking into just replacing it with a Mo one if that is a make or break requirement! I just need to call. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue with going to school in a different state than my residence and it causing issues as they said I “have out of state information on your application” which was my mailing address. I’m glad they give me plenty of notice though, And I’m really looking forward hearing back from them as they are a top choice school for me!
Last edited:
RegalRaptor
New Member
I also got this email! I am a Missouri resident and have my permanent address in Missouri, but I put my mailing address for my university in Nashville. I think if you have anything on your app that isn't a Missouri address, they send you that email. When I have emailed them before about other things, they have been beyond nice. If you have any problems, I am sure they will work with you!Did anyone else get a Missouri residence verification email?