MU-COM vs NSU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnibbs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been offered acceptance at Marian and am awaiting the final decision from Nova. If I'm offered acceptance at NSU, I only have 14 days to make my choice, so I feel like I should have a good idea of where I'd like to go. There were things I loved about both schools, so I thought I might ask for some opinions. Thoughts on either? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get a lot of pro NSU votes here because it is the more established school. MU wowed me ten ways from Tuesday. So much so that I ended up committing to it over older schools...some would even say "top tier" DO schools. Being part of an inaugural class offers some awesome opportunities...but beyond that, the program that MU-COM has put together is rather impressive. The state and healthcare community support, the hospital/research affiliations and the fact that it is one of only two medical schools in the state make for a unique atmosphere. No school has even come close to matching the level of involvement and support towards students that I have seen from MU-COM.

In the end it really boils down to a personal decision. There are SO MANY factors that play into which medical school to choose when you are lucky enough to have a choice in the first place.

Make a pros and cons list and add to it as you think of different things. That way when the time comes to make a decision you will have a tangible reference to resort to.

You'll get a lot of pro NSU votes here because it is the more established school. MU wowed me ten ways from Tuesday. So much so that I ended up committing to it over older schools...some would even say "top tier" DO schools. Being part of an inaugural class offers some awesome opportunities...but beyond that, the program that MU-COM has put together is rather impressive. The state and healthcare community support, the hospital/research affiliations and the fact that it is one of only two medical schools in the state make for a unique atmosphere. No school has even come close to matching the level of involvement and support towards students that I have seen from MU-COM.

In the end it really boils down to a personal decision. There are SO MANY factors that play into which medical school to choose when you are lucky enough to have a choice in the first place.

Make a pros and cons list and add to it as you think of different things. That way when the time comes to make a decision you will have a tangible reference to resort to.

Has MUCOM finalized the new residency spots they are wanting to fund in 4 years?

Also, where are clinical rotations/3rd 4th years going to be? Is it all going to be in Indy? I bet they have finalized that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has MUCOM finalized the new residency spots they are wanting to fund in 4 years?

Also, where are clinical rotations/3rd 4th years going to be? Is it all going to be in Indy? I bet they have finalized that.

Some information regarding 3rd & 4th years at MU-COM:
The CORE rotations in the 3rd year include Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Psychiatry, Obstetrics/Gynecology (OB/GYN), Ambulatory Clinic, and Community Health. These rotations happen in our partner hospitals, mostly located throughout Indianapolis. In the 4th year of clerkship training, each student will complete required rotations such as emergency medicine, community hospital, and rural medicine. In addition, you will also have several months of electives and sub-intern experiences in a variety of specialties and sub-specialties. If one chooses, these rotations can be more geographically diffuse.
In total, MU-COM has agreements with approximately 45 different hospitals—and keeps adding more.

In my understanding these things don't just get signed off over night. They take a substantial amount of time and paperwork to become funded through the federal government (which only happens after proving the need and capacity). I believe MU-COM explained the process pretty well earlier in this thread if you search for it. Don't t be surprised though if it isn't "finalized" for a year or so though...

Clinical partnership sites and affiliates are listed on their website pretty explicitly. There are a TON and apparently are still adding to them.