You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread
Started by NoChanges
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi guys,
Wondering how you would rank these programs, particularly where you'd put Brown in the mix of all of them. Mainly interested in Heme/Onc. Thanks so much
Jeff, Temple, RWJ, Brown, Dartmouth, Gtown, GWU
Dartmouth
Jeff/RWJ/Brown
GT/GWU/Temple
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also pretty much done with interviews and would appreciate any input. I'm interested in pursuing a fellowship (maybe GI, cards?). No ties to any geographic location.
UAB
OSU
Cedars-Sinai
Monte
CCF
NSLIJ
UCincinnati
Thanks in advance!
Interesting list. Put them in the order you like them and we'll get back to you.
Please don't throw lists up here "in no particular order." You obviously have some sort of idea of how you want to rank programs. Tell us so we can figure out what matters to you. Otherwise you're going to wind up with virtually useless information.
it is in the order I like them; maybe CCF = NSLIJInteresting list. Put them in the order you like them and we'll get back to you.
it is in the order I like them; maybe CCF = NSLIJ
Alright then...here we go:
UAB
OSU
Cedars-Sinai
Monte
CCF
NSLIJ
UCincinnati
Honestly, it's hard to fault your list the way it is. I would personally put OSU first and UAB lower, but that's only because I have an anaphylactic allergy to the South. I'd also drop CCF to the bottom but that's unlikely to be relevant, you're probably going to match above there anyway.
Here is my rank list in order. I'm 99% sure I want to do GI in the NYC area, but open to east coast for residency.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
Here is my rank list in order. I'm 99% sure I want to do GI in the NYC area, but open to east coast for residency.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
for what its worth, step 1 243, 4 first author GI abstracts, 2 book chapters, and second author on 4 abstracts.
Done with those interviews, interested in GI, here are the changes:
1. Emory
2. Case Western
3. UMinn
4. UF
5. UTH
6. CCF
7. William Beaumont
8. UMDNJ NJMS
9. MCG
10. U of Toledo
11. Creighton
What do you think?
Looks pretty reasonable, IMHO!
Mayo/Vanderbilt/Emory => These are arguably the reputation winners. Vandy and Emory will work you hard. Mayo is pretty chill, from what I've heard.
***
Colorado/Wake/Brown => I would put these next. Brown residents seemed very happy IMHO.
Don't know too much about the Cali programs, unfortunately, except to say that the ones you've listed aren't in the "top 30" I don't think. Thus, some of these could be in the Wake/Brown/Colorado tier by reputation. That said, you've gotta look at the fellowship match lists to see if they'll suit your needs.
Good luck! You've got a great list there!
***
Colorado/Wake/Brown => I would put these next. Brown residents seemed very happy IMHO.
Don't know too much about the Cali programs, unfortunately, except to say that the ones you've listed aren't in the "top 30" I don't think. Thus, some of these could be in the Wake/Brown/Colorado tier by reputation. That said, you've gotta look at the fellowship match lists to see if they'll suit your needs.
Good luck! You've got a great list there!
Last edited:
Hey all,
I'm not playing with any big shot schools 🙂 but wanted your input as im a clueless IMG:
cook county
univ at buffalo
cooper
jersey shore
I'm not playing with any big shot schools 🙂 but wanted your input as im a clueless IMG:
cook county
univ at buffalo
cooper
jersey shore
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks IMQUEST. I appreciate your willingness to help. I am really looking for an individualized ranking based on specific interests as listed above. Not just looking for which programs are most well regarded. I don't feel that I have enough inside info to make a great assessment myself. Looking for best combination of supportive (help vs. sink), national combined (lay + IM) reputation, somewhat concerned about programs where administration believes everything would be better if interns spent ALL of their time in the hospital (wish to work harder than is expected of me, not be expected to work harder than I can), etc. TIA
777
I might humbly suggest that Mayo might be your winner if you can stand the location. Definitely not a place that needs resident labor to support itself (so you could work harder than is expected of you). Treats its residents well. Does pretty well in terms of placement in fellowship. Hopefully others can chime in, as well, though.
Hey all,
I'm not playing with any big shot schools 🙂 but wanted your input as im a clueless IMG:
cook county
univ at buffalo
cooper
jersey shore
Univ At Buffalo
Cooper
Jersey Shore
Cook County
in that order
Hey all,
I'm not playing with any big shot schools 🙂 but wanted your input as im a clueless IMG:
cook county
univ at buffalo
cooper
jersey shore
Cook County - Gritty program but very well trained, in-house fellowships, and Chicago.
Buffalo
Cooper
Jersey Shore
Hey all,
I'm not playing with any big shot schools 🙂 but wanted your input as im a clueless IMG:
cook county
univ at buffalo
cooper
jersey shore
Buffalo
Cook
Pick a place in Jersey (Gangbangers vs GTL)
gutonc, is there any particular reason why you put Dartmouth above Brown? Just curious...
gutonc, is there any particular reason why you put Dartmouth above Brown? Just curious...
Because it's a better program. More research, better fellowship prospects, phenomenal PD. It also has a bigger referral base than Brown which has to fight with the Boston behemoths. It's got it's issues (being stuck out in the middle of the woods and the ancient VA being the two that I remember) but it was one of my favorite programs.
thierryhenry, docsaab, gutonc, thank you for your input! 🙂
Thanks again gutonc!
Here is my rank list in order. I'm 99% sure I want to do GI in the NYC area, but open to east coast for residency.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
bump thanks
Here is my rank list in order. I'm 99% sure I want to do GI in the NYC area, but open to east coast for residency.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
Is this your preliminary rank order? Do you have specific questions between the programs?
Last edited by a moderator:
OHSU
U. of Wisconsin
U. of Utah
UNC
U of Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Montefiore (NY)
For a career in heme/onc, how would you rank these programs? I like all of them for some reason or another, on the fence about UMD, and I like Brown but wasn't sure how possible it was get into a good heme/onc program from Brown.
Thanks!
U. of Wisconsin
U. of Utah
UNC
U of Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Montefiore (NY)
For a career in heme/onc, how would you rank these programs? I like all of them for some reason or another, on the fence about UMD, and I like Brown but wasn't sure how possible it was get into a good heme/onc program from Brown.
Thanks!
Here is my rank list in order. I'm 99% sure I want to do GI in the NYC area, but open to east coast for residency.
NYU (did GI away here loved it, best fit for me, young social bunch)
Jefferson (similar feel to NYU, they just matched 10 into GI)
BU = Monti (think i'd fit better at BU, but does monti give me a leg up for NYC GI fellowship? Hardest decision so far is this one and the one below.
NSLIJ = TUFTS (both great fits, not sure what gets me GI in NYC area, NS only has a few match/yr but they match in NYC areal, tufts has maybe 5-6/yr but seem to be in boston region
GW (would be happy here, but GI match is 1-2/yr)
RWJ (did not clique with them, cant live in Central Jersey)
BROWN (did not clique with them, cant live in providence)
DREXEL
Also deciding on interviewing at UMD but may cancel any thoughts on that program would be appreciated.
Looks like you've got a pretty good list as it sits. If your goal is do GI in NYC or thereabouts, you need to put Monte and NSLIJ higher than BU and Tufts. Not that you couldn't potentially get GI in NYC from a Boston program, but your chances will be much higher from the NY programs.
OHSU
U. of Wisconsin
U. of Utah
UNC
U of Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Montefiore (NY)
For a career in heme/onc, how would you rank these programs? I like all of them for some reason or another, on the fence about UMD, and I like Brown but wasn't sure how possible it was get into a good heme/onc program from Brown.
Thanks!
That's almost exactly how I'd rank them. I'd move Dartmouth up above UMD and put Brown at the bottom but otherwise I like it.
One little "inside baseball" thing about OHSU to be aware of. There is a bizarre departmental bias on the part of the GIM/Hospitalist faculty there against Hem/Onc. It's a long, ridiculous, story involving people being all butthurt by things long past (and people who haven't worked there in years). As such, your exposure to Hem/Onc as a resident will be minimal unless you seek it out. If you do seek it out (electives, research, etc) you will be warmly welcomed.
Looks like you've got a pretty good list as it sits. If your goal is do GI in NYC or thereabouts, you need to put Monte and NSLIJ higher than BU and Tufts. Not that you couldn't potentially get GI in NYC from a Boston program, but your chances will be much higher from the NY programs.
But Jeff as my 2 is ok? Looked to me like they matched GI all over.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking for a "benign" program; resident friendly, family-friendly, good training. Plan on doing Endocrinology
UAB
UF-Gainesville
USC-Greenville
Wake Forest
UT-Knoxville
MUSC
UVA
University of Kentucky
University of Cincinatti
Mercer in Macon
UAB
UF-Gainesville
USC-Greenville
Wake Forest
UT-Knoxville
MUSC
UVA
University of Kentucky
University of Cincinatti
Mercer in Macon
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
Mayo
Wash U
UCSD
OHSU
Vandy
University of Wisconsin
Want to do GI. How would you rank these?
Michigan = Wash U = Vandy
Mayo = UCSD
OHSU = Wisc
I would argue here that the difference between Tiers 1 and 2 is not very big.
Where would you put Utah?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile
OHSU
U. of Wisconsin
U. of Utah
UNC
U of Maryland
Brown
Dartmouth
Montefiore (NY)
For a career in heme/onc, how would you rank these programs? I like all of them for some reason or another, on the fence about UMD, and I like Brown but wasn't sure how possible it was get into a good heme/onc program from Brown.
Thanks!
UNC = OHSU > UMD
then the rest.
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
Mayo
Wash U
UCSD
OHSU
Vandy
University of Wisconsin
Want to do GI. How would you rank these?
UMich = Wash U = Vandy = UC
UCSD
Mayo
Wisconsin = OHSU
I'm also pretty much done with interviews and would appreciate any input. I'm interested in pursuing a fellowship (maybe GI, cards?). No ties to any geographic location.
UAB
OSU
Cedars-Sinai
Monte
CCF
NSLIJ
UCincinnati
Thanks in advance!
UAB
Montefiore (assuming you are talking about NY city)
OSU
You could move CCF even lower as that is totally a fellow-run hospital. At least in CCU, the only things a resident will do are orders, notes - that's my 1 day experience @ CCF
rest in same order
Thanks in advance for your input, SDN sages. Here goes:
Interested in academic P&CCM and cardiology. Also have some interest in medical education research and curricular reform. No geographic ties--I'm down for an adventure.
01. Duke
02. U Chicago
03. Northwestern
04. Wash U in St. Louis
05. Colorado-Denver
06. UAB
07. Beth Israel Deaconess
08. UNC Chapel Hill
09. Emory
10. UVA
11. U Wash - Haven't been yet
I am 100% sure about #1. Less sure about #2 vs #3. Regarding #7, no, I am not crazy. Just a little underwhelmed.
Interested in academic P&CCM and cardiology. Also have some interest in medical education research and curricular reform. No geographic ties--I'm down for an adventure.
01. Duke
02. U Chicago
03. Northwestern
04. Wash U in St. Louis
05. Colorado-Denver
06. UAB
07. Beth Israel Deaconess
08. UNC Chapel Hill
09. Emory
10. UVA
11. U Wash - Haven't been yet
I am 100% sure about #1. Less sure about #2 vs #3. Regarding #7, no, I am not crazy. Just a little underwhelmed.
Not a sage, but I interviewed at #2,4,8,9 (UChicago, WashU, UNC, Emory) and that's the order I am most likely ranking them. I was impressed with UWash Seattle, and that one would be ahead of UChicago.
WashU St. Louis was the only place on my interview trail that still will not be converting to all EMR next year.
WashU St. Louis was the only place on my interview trail that still will not be converting to all EMR next year.
Not a sage, but I interviewed at #2,4,8,9 (UChicago, WashU, UNC, Emory) and that's the order I am most likely ranking them. I was impressed with UWash Seattle, and that one would be ahead of UChicago.
WashU St. Louis was the only place on my interview trail that still will not be converting to all EMR next year.
This is not true. The deadline is Oct 2013 to have everything converted from paper to electronic by then and one of the campus is already 100% electronic and it is being rolled out department/floorwise on the main campus.
This is not true. The deadline is Oct 2013 to have everything converted from paper to electronic by then and one of the campus is already 100% electronic and it is being rolled out department/floorwise on the main campus.
Haven't heard much about this institution's EMR situation. So are they still doing paper notes and orders on the inpatient services? Or have they just not fully transitioned in the outpatient arena?
How is UVM regarded? I noticed it had some open positions in the past few years and not sure why. Really liked it when I visited.
Other places I am considering include Mayo, Dartmouth, Colorado, Utah, Alabama, UVA, Michigan, OHSU. I also have some "safer" places as well that will be ranked.
May cancel UAb and UVA. How does UVM compare to these?
Other places I am considering include Mayo, Dartmouth, Colorado, Utah, Alabama, UVA, Michigan, OHSU. I also have some "safer" places as well that will be ranked.
May cancel UAb and UVA. How does UVM compare to these?
Thanks in advance for your input, SDN sages. Here goes:
Interested in academic P&CCM and cardiology. Also have some interest in medical education research and curricular reform. No geographic ties--I'm down for an adventure.
01. Duke
02. U Chicago
03. Northwestern
04. Wash U in St. Louis
05. Colorado-Denver
06. UAB
07. Beth Israel Deaconess
08. UNC Chapel Hill
09. Emory
10. UVA
11. U Wash - Haven't been yet
I am 100% sure about #1. Less sure about #2 vs #3. Regarding #7, no, I am not crazy. Just a little underwhelmed.
I will put Wash U @ 2. Move Emory after UAB and move BID below UNC - I agree BID is no where near MGH or BWH and as long as you are not swayed by the name and are more worried about education, I would put UNC, Emory, and UW over BID.
Haven't heard much about this institution's EMR situation. So are they still doing paper notes and orders on the inpatient services? Or have they just not fully transitioned in the outpatient arena?
Outpatient = 100% electronic
Inpatient = daily notes are pre-printed with all vitals, medications, labs - You have to put in physical exam and plan. H/Ps are still dictated. Discharge summaries are electronic now. Orders are 100% electronic. Everything will be electronic by Oct 2013. Doesn't affect your education in anyway.
I guess EMR is one thing that still needs some work.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is UVM regarded? I noticed it had some open positions in the past few years and not sure why. Really liked it when I visited.
Other places I am considering include Mayo, Dartmouth, Colorado, Utah, Alabama, UVA, Michigan, OHSU. I also have some "safer" places as well that will be ranked.
May cancel UAb and UVA. How does UVM compare to these?
UAB has a very strong medicine dept. IMHO it will be a mistake to cancel this interview. I don't know much about UVA or UVM.
Thanks in advance for your input, SDN sages. Here goes:
Interested in academic P&CCM and cardiology. Also have some interest in medical education research and curricular reform. No geographic ties--I'm down for an adventure.
01. Duke
02. U Chicago
03. Northwestern
04. Wash U in St. Louis
05. Colorado-Denver
06. UAB
07. Beth Israel Deaconess
08. UNC Chapel Hill
09. Emory
10. UVA
11. U Wash - Haven't been yet
I am 100% sure about #1. Less sure about #2 vs #3. Regarding #7, no, I am not crazy. Just a little underwhelmed.
Agree that washu probably is better regarded than the Chicago programs. I really loved it on my visit. That said, I was highly impressed with nw and Chicago on my visits as well and both are pedigree programs IMHO.
that said, between the two, I thought they were very different. My hunch is that Chicago may indeed be a better fit for you given that duke is your number 1 and I thought they had similar feels. I was surprised how well respected Chicago is at my school for a smaller residency program -- really first class training, apparently.
My feel is that Colorado is bit high on your list, but if you liked it than go for it. Certainly a good program.
The word on sdn and at my school is that uw has less happy residents but of course you'll see for yourself when you go!
As for bid, I have also spoken to several classmates who have been underwhelmed, but of course it's still Harvard! Apparently residents are very happy, though.
You've got a sweet list -- I foresee you getting duke based on all the great interviews you've scored. If not, you've definitely got some solid choices!
UAB has a very strong medicine dept. IMHO it will be a mistake to cancel this interview. I don't know much about UVA or UVM.
Def do not cancel UVA unless the location is a deal dealer. Fantastic training, great match list, happy residents IMHO. And Charlottesville is a great town!
My list so far:
NW
WashU
UVA vs Pitt
Yale vs UNc vs Mayo vs Ohsu
Penn
Michigan
Duke
Chicago
Brown
Jeff
I'm trying to rank lifestyle, training, and reputation about equally. Want more nurturing places with a night float (ideally). Quality of clinical training is of course still key. Fellowship placement is key as well. Do not want to be burned out after residency, though.
Feel free to (1) tell my I'm nuts for putting three biggies so low (I may listen if you make a good case) or (2) to help me sort UVA vs Pitt (my most key question) and the row below that.
As to why UVA an Pitt are so high -- seemed like good quality of life, great match list (esp UVA), both places with education and service balanced well. Liked UVA location a smudge better.
Esp look forward to the regulars chiming in if they don't mind.
NW
WashU
UVA vs Pitt
Yale vs UNc vs Mayo vs Ohsu
Penn
Michigan
Duke
Chicago
Brown
Jeff
I'm trying to rank lifestyle, training, and reputation about equally. Want more nurturing places with a night float (ideally). Quality of clinical training is of course still key. Fellowship placement is key as well. Do not want to be burned out after residency, though.
Feel free to (1) tell my I'm nuts for putting three biggies so low (I may listen if you make a good case) or (2) to help me sort UVA vs Pitt (my most key question) and the row below that.
As to why UVA an Pitt are so high -- seemed like good quality of life, great match list (esp UVA), both places with education and service balanced well. Liked UVA location a smudge better.
Esp look forward to the regulars chiming in if they don't mind.
Duke might be a tad tougher than some of the programs higher on your list, but their rank list has been amazing as of late, and they have a great reputation for providing strong teaching and clinical exposure. I think Duke and Penn would be outstanding opportunities and should be in your top 3. While Wash U seemed to have a reputation of being cush in the past, I don't necessarily think it would be any easier than Penn and Duke. While Wash U is amazing too, Penn and Duke probably give you a slight leg up on fellowship match, and imo are better locations than St. Louis. I think leaving NW as first is fine, because it probably makes up for anything in lacks by being good for lifestyle and being in a great city, albeit the weather sucks.