Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks in advance for your input, SDN sages. Here goes:

Interested in academic P&CCM and cardiology. Also have some interest in medical education research and curricular reform. No geographic ties--I'm down for an adventure.

01. Duke
02. U Chicago
03. Northwestern
04. Wash U in St. Louis
05. Colorado-Denver
06. UAB
07. Beth Israel Deaconess
08. UNC Chapel Hill
09. Emory
10. UVA
11. U Wash - Haven't been yet

I am 100% sure about #1. Less sure about #2 vs #3. Regarding #7, no, I am not crazy. Just a little underwhelmed.


I would put U of C over NW. U of C has some very well known figures in CC (who have authored some of the widely used texts) and you will be a wizard at procedures (very hands-on training). Plus, fancy new hospital opening in a few months.
 
Duke might be a tad tougher than some of the programs higher on your list, but their rank list has been amazing as of late, and they have a great reputation for providing strong teaching and clinical exposure. I think Duke and Penn would be outstanding opportunities and should be in your top 3. While Wash U seemed to have a reputation of being cush in the past, I don't necessarily think it would be any easier than Penn and Duke. While Wash U is amazing too, Penn and Duke probably give you a slight leg up on fellowship match, and imo are better locations than St. Louis. I think leaving NW as first is fine, because it probably makes up for anything in lacks by being good for lifestyle and being in a great city, albeit the weather sucks.

Thank you for your thoughts. This is all well said. I am struggling with duke and penn. certainly they are 1 and 2 by rep.

I realize washu isn't "Cush", but residents reported being happy, were pretty cool (for medical people 🙂 ), and noted good work/life balance (50-60 hours on wards with no extended shifts). The q3 call on icu doesn't bug me as I think the icu is busy no matter what and is most beneficial that way. pgy2 and 3 residents also alternate inpatient/outpatient which I think makes for a good breather.
 
How do these compare? Interested in GI or hem/onc. Looking for "best" clinical training, reputation too, location doesn't matter for now.

in no particular order:
Michigan
UTSW
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Yale
UChicago
WashU
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would put U of C over NW. U of C has some very well known figures in CC (who have authored some of the widely used texts) and you will be a wizard at procedures (very hands-on training). Plus, fancy new hospital opening in a few months.

Thanks for the opinions, Docsaab et al. I am sure I will continue to scratch my head over the list for at least another 2 months.
 
Put them in the order you want and come back and ask your question.

How is this? This is based on my gut feeling of interview day, but honestly I feel like splitting hairs.

1. Michigan
2. Cornell
3. UTSW
4. Yale
5. Mount Sinai
6. UChicago
7. WashU
 
These are some of the places I liked (no order sorry) but I had a hard time interpreting match lists. How would people rank them with fellowship prospects on mind and how big of a difference is there? Appreciate the advice!

BID
U of Chicago
Cornell
Northwestern
NYU
U of Washington
 
How is this? This is based on my gut feeling of interview day, but honestly I feel like splitting hairs.

1. Michigan
2. Cornell
3. UTSW
4. Yale
5. Mount Sinai
6. UChicago
7. WashU

I interviewed at about half of those places. I would personally move MSSM and UC up to 2 and 3 and call it good, especially if GI is your goal (H/O, Cornell gets the edge over Sinai, but just barely). There is no doubt that WashU will set you up well for doing just about anything you want, anywhere you want. But I just didn't like that place at all. And having already spent 5y in St. Louis, I had zero interest in going back. And it's well documented on SDN that I hate Texas.

Honestly though, your list looks fine as it is.
 
These are some of the places I liked (no order sorry) but I had a hard time interpreting match lists. How would people rank them with fellowship prospects on mind and how big of a difference is there? Appreciate the advice!

BID
U of Chicago
Cornell
Northwestern
NYU
U of Washington



UChicago
BID
NW
Cornell
Washington
NYU
 
Was thinking of putting Case Western above Emory, I thought it was more friendly, What do you guys think? big difference ?


1. Case Western
2. UMinn
3. Emory
4. UF
5. CCF
6. UTH
7. William Beaumont
8. UMDNJ NJMS
9. MCG
10. U of Toledo
11. Creighton
 
Was thinking of putting Case Western above Emory, I thought it was more friendly, What do you guys think? big difference ?


1. Case Western
2. UMinn
3. Emory
4. UF
5. CCF
6. UTH
7. William Beaumont
8. UMDNJ NJMS
9. MCG
10. U of Toledo
11. Creighton


I think thy are fairly comparable programs, maybe with a slight edge to Case Western. Both will give you a shot at a great fellowship.
 
Hey friends if anyone can help me prioritize the following IM programs. Will help me in my ROL and help cancel some of these interviews.
Also I am looking for just how good the program is and not the city/location.

Boston Univ
Cleveland Ohio
Univ Of Maryland
Medical coll of Georgia
UConn
Univ of Missouri - Columbia campus
Univ of Oklahoma
SUNY upstate
Jacobi
Univ of Arkansas
Cook county
Westchester

Thanks !!

Sunny
 
Hey friends if anyone can help me prioritize the following IM programs. Will help me in my ROL and help cancel some of these interviews.
Also I am looking for just how good the program is and not the city/location.

Boston Univ
Cleveland Ohio
Univ Of Maryland
Medical coll of Georgia
UConn
Univ of Missouri - Columbia campus
Univ of Oklahoma
SUNY upstate
Jacobi
Univ of Arkansas
Cook county
Westchester

Thanks !!

Sunny


From what I know, BU and UMD should be high priority interviews for you. Both are well regarded. The rest, I don't know too much about.
I can tell you that Westchester is not the greatest institution, at least.
 
Anyone have any thoughts on UPMC vs UVA vs Mayo?

This is sort of the middle of the order for me, and I'm having a bit of trouble arranging them.

Still looking for a bit of advice on this. TIA
 
Anyone have any thoughts on UPMC vs UVA vs Mayo?

This is sort of the middle of the order for me, and I'm having a bit of trouble arranging them.

Still looking for a bit of advice on this. TIA


Mayo will give you the best fellowship opportunities of the three although UPMC and UVa aren't far behind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your reply, just curious why UWash so low?

All of the programs on your list are strong and UW is great but I think some of the others edge it out just a bit when it comes to fellowship placement, reputation, etc. It's splitting hairs, really...
 
Thanks IMQuest2012. I am curious if Cleveland clinic Ohio and Georgia health sciences are better than BU ? Considering BU is slightly malignant and Cleveland clinic is a big research program.
 
Thanks IMQuest2012. I am curious if Cleveland clinic Ohio and Georgia health sciences are better than BU ? Considering BU is slightly malignant and Cleveland clinic is a big research program.

Although some might disagree, Cleveland clinic is a top notch place to be a cardiology fellow, but a mediocre to poor place to be a resident. This is as opposed to Mayo, which actually has a fairly robust and very well regarded residency albeit in a terrible location (was there last month myself 😀).

I have also heard that BU is malignant and not the nicest place to train, so you gotta weight that. That said, the fellowship placement is likely to be quite good, imho.

I don't know about georgia health sciences. Taking a quick look at their website it looks like mostly international students, though, which is usually a sign that a residency is less desirable for whatever reason (doesn't mean it's bad, but AMGs just get first crack at residency placement for various reasons)
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, I was looking for some input on making my match list. I'm interested in cardiology and possibly an academic career following fellowship. Family is around NYC so that's a slight bonus, but location really isn't that important. Thanks for the help.

In some general order.

Cornell
UCLA
Mt Sinai
Wash U
BIDMC
U of Chicago
Vanderbilt
NYU
Yale
Northwestern
Michigan
 
Hey guys, I was looking for some input on making my match list. I'm interested in cardiology and possibly an academic career following fellowship. Family is around NYC so that's a slight bonus, but location really isn't that important. Thanks for the help.

In some general order.

Cornell
UCLA
Mt Sinai
Wash U
BIDMC
U of Chicago
Vanderbilt
NYU
Yale
Northwestern
Michigan

Michigan
WashU = UChicago
BIDMC = Northwestern = UCLA = Cornell
Yale = Mt. Sinai = NYU = Vandy
 
Thanks IMQuest2012. I am curious if Cleveland clinic Ohio and Georgia health sciences are better than BU ? Considering BU is slightly malignant and Cleveland clinic is a big research program.

I don't have particular knowledge about any of the programs - but during my interviews, the fellows at CCF told us that the only thing the residents are used for are notes and orders and I saw it myself during our tours (at least in the CCU) that the fellow and attending were at least 10 feet away from rest of the team, so I don't know how much education did rest of the team get. So as far as I have read on these forums and some experience, for medicine residency, you may be better off going to BU over CCF. And for cards, they take 1 person max from CCF into their cards fellowship.
 
Hey guys, I was looking for some input on making my match list. I'm interested in cardiology and possibly an academic career following fellowship. Family is around NYC so that's a slight bonus, but location really isn't that important. Thanks for the help.

In some general order.

Cornell
UCLA
Mt Sinai
Wash U
BIDMC
U of Chicago
Vanderbilt
NYU
Yale
Northwestern
Michigan

If location is not an issue,

Michigan = WashU = UC = UCLA = Vandy
NYU = Cornell = Mt Sinai = NW
BID = Yale

But realistically, none of these places is going to keep you out of either cards or academics. If family is more important, then NYC schools > Yale > BID > followed by rest.
 
Thanks CanlMakelt and IMQuest2012.

Well I be heard that CCF doesn't have much teaching.
And BU definitely is malignant. Resident there told me. For those who have a query.
 
Hey guys...was just wondering, how would you rank these 3 programs...

1. UT Houston- I have not heard great things about UTH at least recently, but they are a big univ program with all the fellowships and research opportunities. Their fellowship match list this year was decent, but it had been better in years past

2. Beaumont Royal oak- Rotated here. Feel like this is a program on the rise. New med school, beautiful hospital, residents are happy. Just unsure about whether there's enough research opportunities and how this would affect chances at a fellowship. Seems like about 50% go to fellowship..mostly in house

3. Miami Jackson- Have heard its a lot of hard work, but good training. Not sure about fellowship placements, research opportunities or resident happiness etc.

I would rank them as listed above, but im not sure at alll....
 
Why don't the 2 of you get a room already.

A lot of the faculty at my med school feel the same way... definitely truly top notch training, if you can hack it. I have yet to meet someone from my school who visits there and doesn't come away viewing it as really really intense. :whoa:
 
If location is not an issue,

Michigan = WashU = UC = UCLA = Vandy
NYU = Cornell = Mt Sinai = NW
BID = Yale

But realistically, none of these places is going to keep you out of either cards or academics. If family is more important, then NYC schools > Yale > BID > followed by rest.


👍

Nice list. All of these are first rate academic programs. If you're a strong resident at any of them, you will be well-positioned to obtain a top cardiology fellowship.

Rank by where you think you'll be happiest and you'll be fine.

Ranking NYU over Michigan, especially if you have family in NYC is by no means crazy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my list as of now....

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. Loyola
4. UMinn
5. HCMC
6. MCW
7. UWisc
8. USC

The reason I am ranking UWisc so low is that I have spent the last four years here and its a horse $hit city. Pretty strong program in a crap location. I really liked the MN programs (probably more than the IL ones) though I am not certain that I am ready to go back there quite yet and really really like Chicago as a city.

One wildcard I have not interviewed at yet (I do next month), is North Shore-Long Island Jewish.

Edit: Oh, and I am very interested (and planning as of now) to do PCCM after residency.
 
Last edited:
So my list as of now....

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. Loyola
4. UMinn
5. HCMC
6. MCW
7. UWisc
8. USC

The reason I am ranking UWisc so low is that I have spent the last four years here and its a horse $hit city. Pretty strong program in a crap location. I really liked the MN programs (probably more than the IL ones) though I am not certain that I am ready to go back there quite yet and really really like Chicago as a city.

One wildcard I have not interviewed at yet (I do next month), is North Shore-Long Island Jewish.


Solid list. UIC's program director (Dr. Zar) is top notch. You will get solid clinical training there and will have plenty of research opportunities. Residents seemed fun and down to earth.
 
Thanks in advance for your input. I am interested in GI.

Here is what I have been thinking so far:

Cornell or Yale
Mount Sinai
Temple, BU or Montefiore
Brown
UMDNJ-NJMS
NS-LIJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Stony Brook
UVA (decided I really don't want to live that far away)
UChicago... Same reasoning as UVA

Is it silly not to put Mount Sinai as #1 since I want to go into GI?

Thanks!
 
Thanks in advance for your input. I am interested in GI.

Here is what I have been thinking so far:

Cornell or Yale
Mount Sinai
Temple, BU or Montefiore
Brown
UMDNJ-NJMS
NS-LIJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Stony Brook
UVA (decided I really don't want to live that far away)
UChicago... Same reasoning as UVA

Is it silly not to put Mount Sinai as #1 since I want to go into GI?

Thanks!

For GI, I would consider ranking Sinai #1. Something like 15 or 16 GI fellowship matches this year from Sinai (compared to 5 or 6 each for Cornell or Yale). In any case, all three will get you into a good GI fellowship.
 
Thanks in advance for your input. I am interested in GI.

Here is what I have been thinking so far:

Cornell or Yale
Mount Sinai
Temple, BU or Montefiore
Brown
UMDNJ-NJMS
NS-LIJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Stony Brook
UVA (decided I really don't want to live that far away)
UChicago... Same reasoning as UVA

Is it silly not to put Mount Sinai as #1 since I want to go into GI?

Thanks!

Agreed. Mt Sinai should be on top if GI is your goal followed by Cornell, Montefiore, yale and the rest.
 
Thanks in advance for your input. I am interested in GI.

Here is what I have been thinking so far:

Cornell or Yale
Mount Sinai
Temple, BU or Montefiore
Brown
UMDNJ-NJMS
NS-LIJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Stony Brook
UVA (decided I really don't want to live that far away)
UChicago... Same reasoning as UVA

Is it silly not to put Mount Sinai as #1 since I want to go into GI?

Thanks!

Not at all. Cornell, Yale, Mt Sinai are all pretty similar. Sinai has the strongest internal GI program, but you can do very well from any of those three. I think when I interviewed Cornell had just sent a couple to MGH for GI.

I'd only put Sinai first if you like to the program best.
 
Last edited:
So my list as of now....

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. Loyola
4. UMinn
5. HCMC
6. MCW
7. UWisc
8. USC
.

I think this is a solid list and I agree about UIC - I really liked that program and think it's somewhat underrated.

Loyola, on the other hand...I did an away there and it seems like an ok place, but nothing really special. Not a bad program by any stretch though. UIC definitely has better research opportunities.
 
So my list as of now....

1. UIC
2. Rush
3. Loyola
4. UMinn
5. HCMC
6. MCW
7. UWisc
8. USC

The reason I am ranking UWisc so low is that I have spent the last four years here and its a horse $hit city. Pretty strong program in a crap location. I really liked the MN programs (probably more than the IL ones) though I am not certain that I am ready to go back there quite yet and really really like Chicago as a city.

One wildcard I have not interviewed at yet (I do next month), is North Shore-Long Island Jewish.

Edit: Oh, and I am very interested (and planning as of now) to do PCCM after residency.

Just a consideration . . . not that I mind the list, you have to rank the way YOU want to rank. But MN (and to a lesser extent HCMC) can probably get you into pulm/crit about anywhere.
 
Can I get some feedback on my rank order. I am interested in most likely cardiology or perhaps pulm/cc. No problem with geography - looking for best position for fellowship as #1 criteria. Thanks!

1 Washington
2 UCLA
3 Cornell
4 Boston University
5 UCSD
6 Michigan
7 Mayo clinic
8 Yale
9 Mt Sinai
10 Northwestern
11 Dartmouth
12 NYU
 
Hey guys, I also would like some advice! I've narrowed it down to these programs as my top, trying to figure out how they would rank (these are the programs I loved, the others I will throw at the end of my list). My plan is Heme/Onco. Thanks everyone 🙂

1) Georgetown
2) UColorado
3) OHSU
4) Cedars-Sinai
5) Mayo
6) USC
7) Rush
 
Hey guys, I also would like some advice! I've narrowed it down to these programs as my top, trying to figure out how they would rank (these are the programs I loved, the others I will throw at the end of my list). My plan is Heme/Onco. Thanks everyone 🙂

1) Georgetown
2) UColorado
3) OHSU
4) Cedars-Sinai
5) Mayo
6) USC
7) Rush

Move GT to the end of that list and swap Cedars and Mayo (and maybe OHSU and UColo) and you'd have the list I'd make out of those programs.
 
Can I get some feedback on my rank order. I am interested in most likely cardiology or perhaps pulm/cc. No problem with geography - looking for best position for fellowship as #1 criteria. Thanks!

1 Washington
2 UCLA
3 Cornell
4 Boston University
5 UCSD
6 Michigan
7 Mayo clinic
8 Yale
9 Mt Sinai
10 Northwestern
11 Dartmouth
12 NYU

I'd move BU way down (like to 14 on your list...yes, I'm aware your list only goes to 12). Of the rest of them, you could honestly order them any way you like and you'll be in a great position come Match Day. Hard to argue with a list like that.
 
Just a consideration . . . not that I mind the list, you have to rank the way YOU want to rank. But MN (and to a lesser extent HCMC) can probably get you into pulm/crit about anywhere.

I agree, the thing that makes it tough (personally) is that I'm getting divorced and not sure I wanna go back to MN quite yet, lots of reminders and such. Kinda think a fresh start somewhere could be nice. But, I really liked those two programs more than any of the others...
 
I'd move BU way down (like to 14 on your list...yes, I'm aware your list only goes to 12). Of the rest of them, you could honestly order them any way you like and you'll be in a great position come Match Day. Hard to argue with a list like that.

Why does BU go so low? Is it because of its "malignant" reputation? Their fellowship match is strong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I also would like some advice! I've narrowed it down to these programs as my top, trying to figure out how they would rank (these are the programs I loved, the others I will throw at the end of my list). My plan is Heme/Onco. Thanks everyone 🙂

1) Georgetown
2) UColorado
3) OHSU
4) Cedars-Sinai
5) Mayo
6) USC
7) Rush

OHSU = Ucolorado > Mayo (for location) > GT = Rush > CS > USC
 
Can I get some feedback on my rank order. I am interested in most likely cardiology or perhaps pulm/cc. No problem with geography - looking for best position for fellowship as #1 criteria. Thanks!

1 Washington
2 UCLA
3 Cornell
4 Boston University
5 UCSD
6 Michigan
7 Mayo clinic
8 Yale
9 Mt Sinai
10 Northwestern
11 Dartmouth
12 NYU

Michigan > UCLA (if you want better weather then UCLA, UCSD are all good)
UW = Cornell = Mt Sinai = NYU = UCSD = NW

Rest

As pointed out earlier, you won't go wrong with the choices you have