Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wayne St should be at the top of that list and Stony Brook at least above the rest of the SUNY programs (although I think it should be top 3).

Thanks Gutonc; you seem to be very Pro-Wayne State on these forums, and other than Detriot being a downside their fellowship match list is very impressive for Cards, GI, H/O, Nephro, and their funding from NIH for research is the highest out of any program I have. I was wondering if you knew anything with the current "political situation," they have their with the DMC (Detriot Medical Center) taking over the university or residency program; this was addressed on another thread on this site. That is my only concern.

Otherwise I agree with your rankings but would not put Stony Brook above Upstate, I think both are equally above Downstate but hard to differentiate the two (both have driven, focused great PD's; good learning, 4+1, similiar fellowship match lists) I guess the stigma is more FMG will be @ Upstate cause of the location but Stony Brook's location isnt that much better.

I think it will end up being:
Univ Of Tenn
Upstate/Wayne State
Univ Of Miss
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook

I also have couples match considerations so this is tenatively based on this as well. If you could comment on the above Q about Wayne State would be appreciated, thank you as always
 
Hi I am a 4th year medical student and I will be ranking IM programs very soon. I am thinking of the following programs. I am interested in doing a fellowship in GI--so preferably looking for a place that will allow me to have a good chance at that, as well as be the best training option for me. Please give a little reasoning behind your answers. Thank you so much!!

Cleveland Clinic
Case Western Reserve Univerrsity
Montefiore (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Long Island Jewish Hospital-Hofstra
Beth Israel (Albert Einstein)
University of Rochester
Winthrop University Hospital
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SUNY Upstate Medical
UMDNJ (Newark)
Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)
Loyola University
University of Illinois at Chicago
 
Thanks Gutonc; you seem to be very Pro-Wayne State on these forums, and other than Detriot being a downside their fellowship match list is very impressive for Cards, GI, H/O, Nephro, and their funding from NIH for research is the highest out of any program I have. I was wondering if you knew anything with the current "political situation," they have their with the DMC (Detriot Medical Center) taking over the university or residency program; this was addressed on another thread on this site. That is my only concern.

I can comment on this being sort of a local. I interviewed at DMC this week and asked my interviewer about the Vanguard affiliation, and she said it's not changed the pt mix at all (because the care of indigent pts is being subsidized for 10 years) but has helped the hospital run more efficiently. I have a lot of friends who trained at WSU med/DMC, and def the pathology is second to none, and Detroit is really not a bad city if you're careful, I stayed with friends in midtown and walked to and from my interview and felt perfectly safe.

I'm just not ranking it as high because I didn't get the vibe I got at places higher up my list, but I'd be perfectly happy training there. Plus, I hate driving (getting in a car accident cuz of someone else's stupidity running the red yesterday only confirmed this), and if I could live without having to drive to work on a daily basis I'd be the happiest person, but that's a tough sell in the motor city.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where's the place to train in Detroit through? I've heard Ford vs. DMC plenty of times before and it there never seems to be an end to it.
 
Hey guys would very much appreciate some input. I have my top 2 solidly set. But, having some trouble with the following programs for my 3- 6.

Baylor
Emory
Tufts
BU
 
Hi I am a 4th year medical student and I will be ranking IM programs very soon. I am thinking of the following programs. I am interested in doing a fellowship in GI--so preferably looking for a place that will allow me to have a good chance at that, as well as be the best training option for me. Please give a little reasoning behind your answers. Thank you so much!!

Cleveland Clinic
Case Western Reserve Univerrsity
Montefiore (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Long Island Jewish Hospital-Hofstra
Beth Israel (Albert Einstein)
University of Rochester
Winthrop University Hospital
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SUNY Upstate Medical
UMDNJ (Newark)
Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)
Loyola University
University of Illinois at Chicago

Is this your order? What are your priorities? I know nothing about the non-NE programs but based on reputation and location, I would rank the NY/NJ programs like this:

Monte
RWJ
Roch (UofR is great but man Rochester sucks)
LIJ
NJMS
BI/Downstate/Upstate/Winthrop <- sorry but once you get down here, I don't think you can really win or lose with one program compared to any other. Maybe BI > Downstate > Winthrop > Upstate solely based on location.
 
Things I care about in order of priority (i.e. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5):
1. Good fellowship match in any region of the country ideally (heme/onc)
2. Good didactics/education
3. Decent location for s.o. to get mech. engineering job
4. Benign (personalities+hours) >> malignant
5. Not being SOLELY at a terrible, underfunded hospital

Things I don’t care about at ALL:
1. What time the bars open or close, how many ladies nights there are, or how many single people there are
2. Salary
3. How much it costs to own a house
4. Weather/region of the country
5. "Autonomy"
------------

List approx as I might rank it:
1. WashU
-
2. Brown (Why do we hate Brown on this site? Doesn't it have great h/o matches?)
3. U of Wisconsin
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
-
6. UNC
7. Dartmouth
8. UFla* personal reasons, may remain around here, probably not higher - just didn't like any of the programs lower than this, except USF which seems to have difficulty matching people...
-
9. University of Maryland
10. Cleveland Clinic
11. USF
12. Wake
13. UMiami

(Move Brown to 5th?)

(UTSW v. Baylor?)

(UNC v. Dartmouth?)

(UMaryland v. Cleveland Clinic)
 
Hi guys, got my mid-tier list here and would appreciate some help. Interested in heme/onc, what are your thoughts about this rank order? I think my top 2 are pretty set, but the middle part of this list I am very unsure about.

Wisconsin
Case Western
Harbor-UCLA
Baylor
Utah
BU
Dartmouth
Cedars-Sinai
Rochester

Also, I'm kinda hoping to do fellowship somewhere in the west if possible. Would the two LA programs be the best in terms of purely west coast fellowship opportunities? Thanks 🙂
 
Hi guys, got my mid-tier list here and would appreciate some help. Interested in heme/onc, what are your thoughts about this rank order? I think my top 2 are pretty set, but the middle part of this list I am very unsure about.

Wisconsin
Case Western
Harbor-UCLA
Baylor
Utah
BU
Dartmouth
Cedars-Sinai
Rochester

Also, I'm kinda hoping to do fellowship somewhere in the west if possible. Would the two LA programs be the best in terms of purely west coast fellowship opportunities? Thanks 🙂

Utah and Baylor should be above Case. I think Dartmouth should go higher as well but understand why you might not want to (location). Wisconsin #1 is a good idea.
 
Thanks Gutonc; you seem to be very Pro-Wayne State on these forums, and other than Detriot being a downside their fellowship match list is very impressive for Cards, GI, H/O, Nephro, and their funding from NIH for research is the highest out of any program I have. I was wondering if you knew anything with the current "political situation," they have their with the DMC (Detriot Medical Center) taking over the university or residency program; this was addressed on another thread on this site. That is my only concern.

Otherwise I agree with your rankings but would not put Stony Brook above Upstate, I think both are equally above Downstate but hard to differentiate the two (both have driven, focused great PD's; good learning, 4+1, similiar fellowship match lists) I guess the stigma is more FMG will be @ Upstate cause of the location but Stony Brook's location isnt that much better.

I think it will end up being:
Univ Of Tenn
Upstate/Wayne State
Univ Of Miss
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook

I also have couples match considerations so this is tenatively based on this as well. If you could comment on the above Q about Wayne State would be appreciated, thank you as always

I am a 4th year at Wayne State and have spoken to residents regarding this issue. Residents were concerned because Vanguard is for-profit, that would not fit with the Obama loan repayment, etc. Here's what I can tell you: WSU-PG is the residency program and it is a separate business entity from the DMC. While residents rotate at the for-profit DMC DRH, Harper and Karmanos, they are technically a non-profit organization still. Vanguard has actually affected IM very little. They have pumped an asston of money (850M), into new cardiology, children's and ER improvements. But as was said before, the patient population is still the same, it will never change. DMC will always take the poor and uninsured, they will still want dilaudid with benadryl IV because it makes them itch and they are still awesome.

While I am not going to be going to DMC for residency, I don't think Vanguard should in ANYWAY affect your decision.

PS - Detroit being a downside, please read this article. http://www.freep.com/article/20130110/COL04/301100126

This article is talking about turning Detroit from 60% residential to 25% residential and turning it back into the city it once was. It's going to take some time, but there have already been major developments (35M into Midtown where DMC is, 65M invested into New Center where Henry Ford is).
 
Things I care about in order of priority (i.e. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5):


List approx as I might rank it:
1. WashU
-
2. Brown (Why do we hate Brown on this site? Doesn't it have great h/o matches?)
3. U of Wisconsin
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
-
6. UNC
7. Dartmouth
8. UFla* personal reasons, may remain around here, probably not higher - just didn't like any of the programs lower than this, except USF which seems to have difficulty matching people...
-
9. University of Maryland
10. Cleveland Clinic
11. USF
12. Wake
13. UMiami

(Move Brown to 5th?)

(UTSW v. Baylor?)

(UNC v. Dartmouth?)

(UMaryland v. Cleveland Clinic)

Excellent choice for #1 😀; In my list UTSW will be number 2 then the rest. Wake is an excellent program for IM and should be above CC IMHO but I am not sure about their fellowship matches; Wake and UNC suffer from national fellowship matches because people want to stay in that region I guess.
 
List approx as I might rank it:
1. WashU
-
2. Brown (Why do we hate Brown on this site? Doesn't it have great h/o matches?)
3. U of Wisconsin
4. UTSW
5. Baylor
-
6. UNC
7. Dartmouth
8. UFla* personal reasons, may remain around here, probably not higher - just didn't like any of the programs lower than this, except USF which seems to have difficulty matching people...
-
9. University of Maryland
10. Cleveland Clinic
11. USF
12. Wake
13. UMiami

(Move Brown to 5th?)

(UTSW v. Baylor?)

(UNC v. Dartmouth?)

(UMaryland v. Cleveland Clinic)

Nothing wrong with your list the way it is. I'd personally move Dartmouth and UNC up above UTSW and Baylor but I completely understand the need to go somewhere that your SO can find a job and that's the #1 reason Dartmouth wasn't higher for me.

And I don't think there's a hate for Brown here, just a hate for Providence (which I also don't understand...I kind of liked it and would rather live there than anywhere in TX). Also, for those who have basic science research interests, the pickings there can be a little bit slim. But they match pretty well for their "tier" and from what I hear (from both real people I know there and the intarwubs), the residents are happy.
 
Please help me rank these! I am interested in GI or Cards. Here is how I currently have ranked them:

1. Wash U
2. Cornell
3. Mayo
4. Case
5. Indiana University
6. Rush
7. UIC
8. Loyola
9. Brown
10. Dartmouth
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. Cedars-Sinai
13. Medical College of Wisconsin
 
Hi I am a 4th year medical student and I will be ranking IM programs very soon. I am thinking of the following programs. I am interested in doing a fellowship in GI--so preferably looking for a place that will allow me to have a good chance at that, as well as be the best training option for me. I am from NYC but don't want to restrict myself geographically if there is a better academic program. Also, in Cleveland (Case vs the Clinic)--in terms of GI fellowships, and academic learning.

Cleveland Clinic
Case Western Reserve Univerrsity
Montefiore (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Long Island Jewish Hospital-Hofstra
Beth Israel (Albert Einstein)
University of Rochester
Winthrop University Hospital
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SUNY Upstate Medical
UMDNJ (Newark)
Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)
Loyola University
University of Illinois at Chicago
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mid-tier guy here. Interested in GI or Pulm/Critical Care. Would much rather live in an urban city (originally from NY, but feeling less attached at the moment and would like to try living somewhere else for a few years).

1) USC
2) Rush
3) BU
4) UIC
5) Temple
6) Montefiore
7) UMDNJ-RWJ
8) NSLIJ
9) Beth Israel (NY)
10) Lenox Hill

One program that I left off the list that probably should be #1 given its reputation is Dartmouth, but was eliminated due to location. Is that a big mistake given the other programs on my list? Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!
 
Is this your order? What are your priorities? I know nothing about the non-NE programs but based on reputation and location, I would rank the NY/NJ programs like this:

Monte
RWJ
Roch (UofR is great but man Rochester sucks)
LIJ
NJMS
BI/Downstate/Upstate/Winthrop <- sorry but once you get down here, I don't think you can really win or lose with one program compared to any other. Maybe BI > Downstate > Winthrop > Upstate solely based on location.


Nope not my order. I am totally lost. I am originally from NYC but Case and the Clinic seem like attractive places for someone interested in GI. What do you have to say about Monte's workload, lifestyle, etc. They have close to 55 in their intern class, more competition for fellowships?
 
It sounds like you're pretty set! lol

I'm also having trouble ranking Brown higher than I am because of its location. Everyone seems so happy there though! I think Temple and Monte are equally rough areas to be in (though Temple's got 4+1! definitely attractive) but the tie-breaker being location is a fair one; I don't think either will hold you back in a GI fellowship match (though higher-ups can comment better on that). I'll probably rank Brown higher than either of those but to each their own (fwiw, my family is closest to Monte than any other program I am ranking).

If it's fellowship or bust though, I feel like LIJ is a really great place to be. Not because their training is x, y, and z, but because their health system is enormous. The place seemed like a fellowship-mill and if you don't match outside the health system, chances seem pretty great you'll match within it, especially for competitive specialties.

Thanks a lot for your response! Temple's 4+1 is definitely very attractive. The residents there seem a lot happier than the Monte residents I interacted with too.

I'm not sure about LIJ's fellowship match for competitive fellowships like GI and cards though. From what I hear it isn't that good 🙁
 
Utah and Baylor should be above Case. I think Dartmouth should go higher as well but understand why you might not want to (location). Wisconsin #1 is a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it! Out of curiosity, are there any objective reasons you think Case shouldn't be as high? When I visited Case it seemed like their H/O prospects were on par with Baylor's (aside from the sort-of connection with MDACC) and better than Utah's, and otherwise the environment and PD both seemed great.
 
Hi I am a 4th year medical student and I will be ranking IM programs very soon. I am thinking of the following programs. I am interested in doing a fellowship in GI--so preferably looking for a place that will allow me to have a good chance at that, as well as be the best training option for me. I am from NYC but don't want to restrict myself geographically if there is a better academic program. Also, in Cleveland (Case vs the Clinic)--in terms of GI fellowships, and academic learning.

Cleveland Clinic
Case Western Reserve Univerrsity
Montefiore (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
Long Island Jewish Hospital-Hofstra
Beth Israel (Albert Einstein)
University of Rochester
Winthrop University Hospital
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SUNY Upstate Medical
UMDNJ (Newark)
Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)
Loyola University
University of Illinois at Chicago

Dude...stop it. I was just about to respond to you but you've posted this 3x now. You're on your own.

Also, posting a list that isn't in the order you like it is ridiculous.
 
Please help me rank these! I am interested in GI or Cards. Here is how I currently have ranked them:

1. Wash U
2. Cornell
3. Mayo
4. Case
5. Indiana University
6. Rush
7. UIC
8. Loyola
9. Brown
10. Dartmouth
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. Cedars-Sinai
13. Medical College of Wisconsin

Move Dartmouth and Brown up a few slots...or just leave it alone, it's a good list the way it is.
 
It's been repeated over and over that when coming up with the rank list, one should think about where they would be happy for their next 3 years.

So I'm curious if others are weighing the happiness factor more than reputation program?
 
Mid-tier guy here. Interested in GI or Pulm/Critical Care. Would much rather live in an urban city (originally from NY, but feeling less attached at the moment and would like to try living somewhere else for a few years).

1) USC
2) Rush
3) BU
4) UIC
5) Temple
6) Montefiore
7) UMDNJ-RWJ
8) NSLIJ
9) Beth Israel (NY)
10) Lenox Hill

One program that I left off the list that probably should be #1 given its reputation is Dartmouth, but was eliminated due to location. Is that a big mistake given the other programs on my list? Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

I think Monte (if you mean Albert Einstein College of Medicine) is the strongest of them all. Dartmouth I am not too aware - not very fond of living in NE so never looked it up
 
Thanks a lot for your response! Temple's 4+1 is definitely very attractive. The residents there seem a lot happier than the Monte residents I interacted with too.

I'm not sure about LIJ's fellowship match for competitive fellowships like GI and cards though. From what I hear it isn't that good 🙁

I suppose I don't know their match rate, just their match sites from the interview day packet.
 
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it! Out of curiosity, are there any objective reasons you think Case shouldn't be as high? When I visited Case it seemed like their H/O prospects were on par with Baylor's (aside from the sort-of connection with MDACC) and better than Utah's, and otherwise the environment and PD both seemed great.

I also really liked Case. I think it's always good to remember that this is asking for other people's orders, based on their preferences. I liked Cleveland, but I've met plenty of people who don't. I think it's important to rank how you feel above what people on the blagosphere say.

Note: Despite saying that, I am very appreciative of this thread & forum, as it gives the chance to see others thoughts behind rankings and to see other people's experiences at these schools. I'm just saying that the final word should be yours.
 
Nope not my order. I am totally lost. I am originally from NYC but Case and the Clinic seem like attractive places for someone interested in GI. What do you have to say about Monte's workload, lifestyle, etc. They have close to 55 in their intern class, more competition for fellowships?

Monte remains an enigma, maybe just because I wanted to fall in love with it but couldn't. I can't decide if the residents are happy or not overall. I think they are but maybe I just drank the interview day Kool-Aid! I didn't get a great sense of camaraderie at the social they had though. In your list, I'd probably put your midwest programs higher (I'm regretting not applying midwest now), though I know it's hard for someone from NYC!
 
Mid-tier guy here. Interested in GI or Pulm/Critical Care. Would much rather live in an urban city (originally from NY, but feeling less attached at the moment and would like to try living somewhere else for a few years).

1) USC
2) Rush
3) BU
4) UIC
5) Temple
6) Montefiore
7) UMDNJ-RWJ
8) NSLIJ
9) Beth Israel (NY)
10) Lenox Hill

One program that I left off the list that probably should be #1 given its reputation is Dartmouth, but was eliminated due to location. Is that a big mistake given the other programs on my list? Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

I would rank BU #1 or #2 on your list. Strong program with good fellowship match and research opportunities. GI and Pulm/CC are both competitive fields and you want a program that will give you good clinical experience but also research opportunities.
 
Which one would you rank first: University of Miami Jackson Health System vrs. Albert Einstein at Jacobi?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not so sure about that. I've heard the residents are pretty overworked and relatively unhappy. From what I know they did get a new PD who seems to be taking concerns of the "old school" environment and changing it. That said I don't think BU is that much better than RWJ (only act in town) or Temple (great clinical training, happy residents), but if you need to live in Boston...

Also, how does USC get away with paying 42 a year? In LA, that seems like madness

I would rank BU #1 or #2 on your list. Strong program with good fellowship match and research opportunities. GI and Pulm/CC are both competitive fields and you want a program that will give you good clinical experience but also research opportunities.
 
Nothing wrong with your list the way it is. I'd personally move Dartmouth and UNC up above UTSW and Baylor but I completely understand the need to go somewhere that your SO can find a job and that's the #1 reason Dartmouth wasn't higher for me.

And I don't think there's a hate for Brown here, just a hate for Providence (which I also don't understand...I kind of liked it and would rather live there than anywhere in TX). Also, for those who have basic science research interests, the pickings there can be a little bit slim. But they match pretty well for their "tier" and from what I hear (from both real people I know there and the intarwubs), the residents are happy.

Thanks - any thoughts on Wisconsin 2nd vs. Brown 2nd? I have a slight bias toward East coast, but Brown hospitals were gross looking and I would need a car to get around. Wisconsin hospitals were beautiful, but my engineering partner would probably have to work in Milwaukee (>1 hour away). I'm conflicted. Reputation of Brown v. Wisconsin?

Thoughts on Baylor v. UTSW for heme/onc? I got the feeling that it was hard to find time for research at UTSW.

My UNC interview day was all over the place. I felt like the perks were fantastic but it sounded like people worked HARD, hospital was kinda grungy, and if I'm headed to the south I will probably take a major city in Texas over NC.
 
Thanks - any thoughts on Wisconsin 2nd vs. Brown 2nd? I have a slight bias toward East coast, but Brown hospitals were gross looking and I would need a car to get around. Wisconsin hospitals were beautiful, but my engineering partner would probably have to work in Milwaukee (>1 hour away). I'm conflicted. Reputation of Brown v. Wisconsin?

This is where you're going to have to put on your big boy/girl pants and make the call yourself. Wisconsin has a better rep but Brown's isn't bad.

Thoughts on Baylor v. UTSW for heme/onc? I got the feeling that it was hard to find time for research at UTSW.

It's probably a push.

My UNC interview day was all over the place. I felt like the perks were fantastic but it sounded like people worked HARD, hospital was kinda grungy, and if I'm headed to the south I will probably take a major city in Texas over NC.

See, that's just insanity. I don't feel like I can even take you seriously now.

(If I believed in smilies, I'd put one here.)
 
They're both rough and tumble county programs. Would you prefer Miami or the Bronx?

I don't mind the city. I'm interested in which program would open my options for competitive fellowships and look better on my CV. I liked both the programs, but still can´t decide one over the other.
 
See, that's just insanity. I don't feel like I can even take you seriously now.

(If I believed in smilies, I'd put one here.)

Major city in Texas does not beat out college/small town in NC?

Chapel Hill: population: 58,000 - the critical question of whether I will get my high quality sashimi and pho does not seem to be answered satisfactorily...haha
 
I'd appreciate any feedback. Interested in heme/onc. Location is important to me.

1) Jefferson
2) Maryland
3) Temple
4) Penn State
5) UVA
6) RWJ
7) VCU
8) GW
 
I'd appreciate any feedback. Interested in heme/onc. Location is important to me.

1) Jefferson
2) Maryland
3) Temple
4) Penn State
5) UVA
6) RWJ
7) VCU
8) GW

Is this your order? When you say "location is important" what do you mean?

I don't have any argument with your list as it is. I'd probably put your 5 and 6 up into the 3 and 4 spots but if by "location" you mean "Philly or B'more" then your list is fine.
 
USC/UIC
Rush
Case Western
Mayo Rochester
Dartmouth
OSU
CPMC
Scripps Green
Iowa
MCW
Olive View
Albert Einstein Montefiore
Rochester
Loma Linda
Loyola

Jumbling things around again...have an interest in GI.
 
I don't mind the city. I'm interested in which program would open my options for competitive fellowships and look better on my CV. I liked both the programs, but still can´t decide one over the other.

That was kind of my point. Pick the city you like better. The programs have similar "strength" and reputation, mostly filled with IMGs and neither is going to get you cards at Duke or GI at MGH.

Jacobi's match list is here. I couldn't find one for Jackson.
 
That was kind of my point. Pick the city you like better. The programs have similar "strength" and reputation, mostly filled with IMGs and neither is going to get you cards at Duke or GI at MGH.

Jacobi's match list is here. I couldn't find one for Jackson.

Thank you, I appreciate your input.
 
I guess I would classify myself as a mid-tier girl (and longer in the tooth than most). I have an s.o. who is a mechanical engineer in the energy industry, so that is influencing my rank list somewhat. Any thoughts, gutonc, or anyone else? I think I may want to do primary care, so thinking about interspersing the PC Tracks for #3 and maybe a few others.


1. U of Utah
2. U of Wisc - Madison
3. UVA
4. UIC
5. Ohio State
6. Wake
7. Brown
8. Louisville (6 weeks of vacation?!)
9. Kansas U
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have a Phd in cardiac disease and planning on doing a "fast track program" with 2 years medicine 2 years cards and 3 year research program. I am mainly worried about good medicine training and research, less concerned with cost of living. This is just tentative.

1. BIDMC NO guaranteed fellowship/ Really felt that I fit in well w residents happy
1. UCSD- guaranteed cards spot/ Really great research fit in with faculty/ ? medicine training
3. Yale newhaven guaranteed cards spot happy residents
4. Columbia NO guaranteed fellowship spot residents happy but have to draw their own blood
5. U chicago guaranteed cards spot
6. Vandy guaranteed cards spot
7 Northwestern guaranteed cards spot
8. Wash U guaranteed cards spot
8Tulane NO guaranteed fellowship spot
8. Dartmouth NO guaranteed fellowship spot
8. Emory guaranteed cards spot but research in-between
 
I guess I would classify myself as a mid-tier girl (and longer in the tooth than most). I have an s.o. who is a mechanical engineer in the energy industry, so that is influencing my rank list somewhat. Any thoughts, gutonc, or anyone else? I think I may want to do primary care, so thinking about interspersing the PC Tracks for #3 and maybe a few others.


1. U of Utah
2. U of Wisc - Madison
3. UVA
4. UIC
5. Ohio State
6. Wake
7. Brown
8. Louisville (6 weeks of vacation?!)
9. Kansas U

I have no idea how the job market for engineers is in any of these locations so that's up to you to decide. Your list looks pretty good though and I can't really argue with it the way it is. If it were mine I'd put Brown and OSU in the 3 and 4 spots but whatever.
 
Hi guys,
Would really appreciate feedback on my list. Really having trouble deciding my #2 spot. RWJ is close to family/husband's current job, but wondering if Brown is a bit more prestigious. Interested in heme/onc and pulm/crit. Can't rank Dartmouth higher bc my husband needs to be near a city. Thanks so much!

1) Jefferson
2) RWJ
3) Brown
4) Temple
5) Georgetown
6) Dartmouth
7) Umass
8) GWU
9) UConn
 
So I have a Phd in cardiac disease and planning on doing a "fast track program" with 2 years medicine 2 years cards and 3 year research program. I am mainly worried about good medicine training and research, less concerned with cost of living. This is just tentative.

1. BIDMC NO guaranteed fellowship/ Really felt that I fit in well w residents happy
1. UCSD- guaranteed cards spot/ Really great research fit in with faculty/ ? medicine training
3. Yale newhaven guaranteed cards spot happy residents
4. Columbia NO guaranteed fellowship spot residents happy but have to draw their own blood
5. U chicago guaranteed cards spot
6. Vandy guaranteed cards spot
7 Northwestern guaranteed cards spot
8. Wash U guaranteed cards spot
8Tulane NO guaranteed fellowship spot
8. Dartmouth NO guaranteed fellowship spot
8. Emory guaranteed cards spot but research in-between

No issues with the way you've made your list.

FWIW, I too did the research pathway although not in cards. I had the same concerns you did about the guaranteed fellowship spot but in the end I wound up ranking #1 (and matching at) a program that didn't have a guaranteed fellowship spot. So I wound up applying for fellowship early in intern year (this would suck less now with the new fellowship match schedule) and got much better fellowship interview offers than I did for residency. In the end I stayed at my residency program for fellowship but would have been happy at any of my top 5 places (I interviewed at 8 and only ranked 6). Moral of the story is, don't let the guaranteed fellowship spot issue bother you. It's certainly nice to have that nailed down early and not have to worry about it but with the interviews you're getting at this point you won't have a problem finding a fellowship position.
 
Hey all, wonder if I could get comments on my match list. Interested in heme/onc right now, though also considering hospitalist/maybe palliative care, though who knows what will happen in residency. Not super interested in academia, although ideally I would really like to teach as well as do clinical work (I'm still trying to decide how much I like research). My main issues are: 1. Currently my goal is to one day get a fellowship or job in the west coast (unless I find a significant other in residency and settle down, which is also totally possible). 2. Family are near Pittsburgh, which makes UPMC pretty attractive if I want family support. I just don't know whether being near my parents will make me happy vs. make me go insane (they can be overbearing at times). I made my rank list based on feel of the program and how much I could picture myself in that city.

1. Michigan
2. UPMC vs. Colorado
3. UNC
4. Tufts
5. UCSD - I realize w/ the west coast goals, I should put this higher, but I just didn't get the greatest impression my interview day there
6. UTSW
7. U Wisconsin
8. Case - I just can't be in Cleveland