Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have the following ranked in the order i think is appropriate...feel free to rearrange for GI or heme/onc

cedar sinai
usc
uc irvine
uc davis
montefiore albert einstein
dartmouth
loma linda

thanks for the input~^^
 
I'm a MD/PhD applying exclusively to research track programs and am interested in academic cardiology or endocrinology.

Mayo - guarantees cardiology
Yale - guarantees endocrinology
UTSW - guarantees cardiology
Baylor -
Mount Sinai -
Case Western -
CCF -

Locations and lifestyles aside, any thoughts on how to rank these programs? Thanks.
 
i have the following ranked in the order i think is appropriate...feel free to rearrange for GI or heme/onc

cedar sinai
usc
uc irvine
uc davis
montefiore albert einstein
dartmouth
loma linda

thanks for the input~^^

Frankly, Dartmouth should be at the top of that list with USC and Monte close behind. But if you've got a stiffy for SoCal swap USC and Cedars and call it a day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a MD/PhD applying exclusively to research track programs and am interested in academic cardiology or endocrinology.

Mayo - guarantees cardiology
Yale - guarantees endocrinology
UTSW - guarantees cardiology
Baylor -
Mount Sinai -
Case Western -
CCF -

Locations and lifestyles aside, any thoughts on how to rank these programs? Thanks.

Is this how you'd rank them?

Nothing wrong with your list as it stands. I'd put Sinai above all of them but other than that, no major complaints.
 
I guess I would classify myself as a mid-tier girl (and longer in the tooth than most). I have an s.o. who is a mechanical engineer in the energy industry, so that is influencing my rank list somewhat. Any thoughts, gutonc, or anyone else? I think I may want to do primary care, so thinking about interspersing the PC Tracks for #3 and maybe a few others.


1. U of Utah
2. U of Wisc - Madison
3. UVA
4. UIC
5. Ohio State
6. Wake
7. Brown
8. Louisville (6 weeks of vacation?!)
9. Kansas U

Since I have looked a little into mechanical engineering in these spots, I can comment on a few.
- Brown (fantastic variety of jobs in Boston 45 min away esp some in design which many find attractive but your s.o. might not, some jobs in other parts of Mass like Attleboro which are about 3 min by car, 12 min by train)
- Wisconsin (you're looking at an hour by car commute to Milwaukee, but honestly the job *variety* in Milwaukee looks fantastic)
- Wake (the mech engineering jobs are in Greensboro, like 20-30 min away, cannot comment on the quality of the jobs, but very manufacturing oriented).

My fiance is pretty adamant about not working for the "defense" industry, so bear in mind anything around DC will have a lot of "defense" jobs as a general rule. Government jobs in mech engineering *tend* to be of that nature, though, of course not always.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but google can help you find the other opportunities out there. Good luck, if you have any thoughts about the engineering opp on my list, don't hesitate to let me know.
 
Hey guys, could you please help me rank those programs (I've arranged them by preference). Any input will be greatly appreciated.

1 Duke
2 Vandy
3 UAB
4 Tufts
5 George Washington University
6 Indiana University
7 UPMC (shadyside)
8 Iowa
9 Saint Louis University (SLU)
10 Good Samaritan Hospital

I am looking for the best place academically. I don't care about the area.

Thanks
 
Hey guys, could you please help me rank those programs (I've arranged them by preference). Any input will be greatly appreciated.

1 Duke
2 Vandy
3 UAB
4 Tufts
5 George Washington University
6 Indiana University
7 UPMC (shadyside)
8 Iowa
9 Saint Louis University (SLU)
10 Good Samaritan Hospital

I am looking for the best place academically. I don't care about the area.

Thanks

Many people (myself included) would probably move Tufts and GWU down near SLU and put UPMC, Iowa and IU up higher. But your top 3 is a no-brainer and you could arrange them in any order and it would be hard to argue with.
 
Do you think that UPMC SHADYSIDE is better than GWU and TUFTS in terms of fellowship match. How do you think I should rank it overall: before what and after what?

Thank you
 
Many people (myself included) would probably move Tufts and GWU down near SLU and put UPMC, Iowa and IU up higher. But your top 3 is a no-brainer and you could arrange them in any order and it would be hard to argue with.

Quick heads up, UPMC Shadyside is not the main UPMC program.
 
great thread. need help on ranking these 7 programs based on quality of training as I do not have real ties to any specific region. thanks a lot! (they're placed in order based on my initial impressions)

UCONN
AECOM-Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
SUNY Upstate
Uni of Hawaii
Allegheny General
Henry Ford
OU-Tulsa
 
great thread. need help on ranking these 7 programs based on quality of training as I do not have real ties to any specific region. thanks a lot! (they're placed in order based on my initial impressions)

UCONN
AECOM-Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
SUNY Upstate
Uni of Hawaii
Allegheny General
Henry Ford
OU-Tulsa

Monte is probably the "best" of those programs but it's not like it's head and shoulders above UCONN (head maybe, not shoulders) so there's nothing wrong with your list as it is. If fellowship is a goal, Monte is probably the better option though.
 
Hey all, curious to see how other people would rank these, although I know there prob is a ton of variation in opinions. Interested in cards or critical care, and I don't want to be in a crap town. no preference in what part of the country it is in.

Loyola
Cedars-Sinai
CMC (Carolina medical center)
VCU
OSU
MUSC
UIC
UF
USC
Wake forest
CCF
USF
GW
 
I thought I'd add some anonymous internet advice to the ever-growing pile of opinions I've accumulated (ranging from "go to the best program you can get into" to "follow your heart"...). I'm interested in what others would do with this scenario, mainly to give my gut feelings a potentially objective check.

Considerations: Husband is a lawyer, so places where it won't be impossible for him to find a job are somewhat preferred to those with less options. However, he is entertaining other career options (teacher, barista, house husband) depending on where I match.
-Two big dogs, so being able to live in a house (with a yard?) is much preferred over living in an apartment. That being said, I'm willing to commute roughly 30-45 min each way if necessary.
-Interested in heme/onc, with hospitalist as plan B. Right now leaning toward malignant heme/BMT.
-My home program is a wild-card (Kansas), because I love the people and where we live now satisfies the above three criteria. I will rank it, but haven't decided where. So I'm leaving it off the list below for now because it's placement will be complicated.

In groups of preference (but feel free to tell me I'm crazy):
Duke, Mayo
Michigan, Minnesota, UNC, UPMC, MGH
Emory, Washington-Seattle, Northwestern
Iowa, U Chicago
 
Last edited:
Frankly, Dartmouth should be at the top of that list with USC and Monte close behind. But if you've got a stiffy for SoCal swap USC and Cedars and call it a day.

why do you say that? cedar sinai seems to match very well in GI, especially in so-cal.
USC seems to not get much respect in terms of their residency program, especially in california.

dartmouth matchlist for GI was lukewarm from my perspective...

why do you feel dartmouth is above cedars?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, curious to see how other people would rank these, although I know there prob is a ton of variation in opinions. Interested in cards or critical care, and I don't want to be in a crap town. no preference in what part of the country it is in.

Loyola
Cedars-Sinai
CMC (Carolina medical center)
VCU
OSU
MUSC
UIC
UF
USC
Wake forest
CCF
USF
GW

from what i saw, considering your preference for cards, loyola is probably best but cedars is a close second.
i don't know much about other programs but i agree with the top 2 rank order
 
I thought I'd add some anonymous internet advice to the ever-growing pile of opinions I've accumulated (ranging from "go to the best program you can get into" to "follow your heart"...). I'm interested in what others would do with this scenario, mainly to give my gut feelings a potentially objective check.

Considerations: Husband is a lawyer, so places where it won't be impossible for him to find a job are somewhat preferred to those with less options. However, he is entertaining other career options (teacher, barista, house husband) depending on where I match.
-Two big dogs, so being able to live in a house (with a yard?) is much preferred over living in an apartment. That being said, I'm willing to commute roughly 30-45 min each way if necessary.
-Interested in heme/onc, with hospitalist as plan B. Right now leaning toward malignant heme/BMT.
-My home program is a wild-card (Kansas), because I love the people and where we live now satisfies the above three criteria. I will rank it, but haven't decided where. So I'm leaving it off the list below for now because it's placement will be complicated.

In groups of preference (but feel free to tell me I'm crazy):
Duke, Mayo
Michigan, Minnesota, UNC, UPMC, MGH
Emory, Washington-Seattle, Northwestern
Iowa, U Chicago

There are no slouch programs on your list (Iowa is the weakest and it's a good program) so I honestly don't think you can go wrong ranking for "gut" and other non-program issues. From a heme mal/BMT standpoint, Mayo, Minnesota and UW are hard to beat but all the rest of those places will do you just fine. If this is the way you like them, good luck and godspeed. It's a nice list and you'll be fine.
 
why do you say that? cedar sinai seems to match very well in GI, especially in so-cal.
USC seems to not get much respect in terms of their residency program, especially in california.

USC definitely has had a beating placed on them but the people I've seen come out of there are super solid. People who know what they're talking about respect USC training.

dartmouth matchlist for GI was lukewarm from my perspective...

why do you feel dartmouth is above cedars?

I think Dartmouth is a better overall program than Cedars...thinking about training in general, not necessarily your chance of matching GI in SoCal.
 
Interest in cards or ID

Wisconsin
Iowa
Case western
Indiana
Loyola
Osu
Minnesota
Mayo

Shooting for mid tier cards or elite ID program
 
Hi guys,
Really appreciate feedback on my rank list.
I don't have family so no geographical preference. I don't mind the cold vs hot. Interested in cards

- Emory
- U of Minn
- UT Houston

- UMDNJ
- UMKC
- CCF

- U conn
- MCG/GHSU

- Methodist Houston
- William Beaumont
- WHC (Washington Hospital center)


 
Last edited:
Hey all, curious to see how other people would rank these, although I know there prob is a ton of variation in opinions. Interested in cards or critical care, and I don't want to be in a crap town. no preference in what part of the country it is in.

Loyola
Cedars-Sinai
CMC (Carolina medical center)
VCU
OSU
MUSC
UIC
UF
USC
Wake forest
CCF
USF
GW

Just a fellow M4's opinion here: I'm also interested in cards and interviewed at Loyola, UIC and Cedars on your list. Locations aside, and considering purely academics, I definitely thought UIC was academically stronger than Loyola by alot, and probably better than Cedars too. Although Cedars has a well-known cards program, they are not friendly to their own. Of the 10 graduates that matched into cards over the past 2 years, only 2 were taken by cedars themselves. (They take 7 each year).
 
What up guys..wanted to see if you could give some feedback on my list. I'm interested in a fellowship, but pretty undecided on which one. East coast kid, fairly open to going anywhere, would prefer bigger city.

feel free to tear it up..thanks!!


USC
Tulane
Univ. of MD
UIC
BU
Thomas Jeff.
VCU
Temple
Ohio State
Tufts
Case W.
Rochester
Cincinatti
 
Last edited:
I'm having trouble deciding what to rank in my top 3 among Vandy, Michigan, UTSW, and UCLA.

Am I crazy for not ranking UCLA in my top 3? Everyone I've talked to thinks that UCLA should be #1 and I shouldn't turn down a chance to be in California. I admit, the hospital is beautiful, the diversity is awesome, and I'd like to be warm during the winter. However, I didn't get a good feeling during my interview day, and I'm worried about the loss of heavy hitters in cardiology and GI.

What do northeast and midwest programs think of UCLA in general? Excellent clinical training on par with the other three programs?
 
I'm having trouble deciding what to rank in my top 3 among Vandy, Michigan, UTSW, and UCLA.

Am I crazy for not ranking UCLA in my top 3? Everyone I've talked to thinks that UCLA should be #1 and I shouldn't turn down a chance to be in California. I admit, the hospital is beautiful, the diversity is awesome, and I'd like to be warm during the winter. However, I didn't get a good feeling during my interview day, and I'm worried about the loss of heavy hitters in cardiology and GI.

What do northeast and midwest programs think of UCLA in general? Excellent clinical training on par with the other three programs?

You listed 4 virtually equal, excellent programs. Clearly, only 3 of them can be in your top 3. Also clearly, you will only match at one of them. Rank them however you liked them...you can't really go wrong with that group.

Honestly, if I were ranking those 4 it would probably be:
Michigan
Vandy/UCLA (coin flip...for realz)
UTSW (note that I'd try to have 7 or 8 other programs ahead of UTSW, but that wasn't what you asked)
 
Last edited:
You listed 4 virtually equal, excellent programs. Clearly, only 3 of them can be in your top 3. Also clearly, you will only match at one of them. Rank them however you liked them...you can't really go wrong with that group.

Honestly, if I were ranking those 4 it would probably be:
Michigan
Vandy/UCLA (coin flip...for realz)
UTSW (note that I'd try to have 7 or 8 other programs ahead of UTSW, but that wasn't what you asked)

Thanks Gutonc!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,
I am an IMG & have applied for Internal medicine. I am trying to stay in midwest area & planning on doing fellowship down the road. Im not sure how to rank the following programs.

Case western metro health
cleveland clinic
Henry ford
Wright state univ

THANKS A LOT!
 
Hi everyone,
I am an IMG & have applied for Internal medicine. I am trying to stay in midwest area & planning on doing fellowship down the road. Im not sure how to rank the following programs.

Case western metro health
cleveland clinic
Henry ford
Wright state univ

THANKS A LOT!


1. cleveland clinic
2. cw
donno the rest
 
want more resident friendly ( hate saying "cush" because I think describes transitional year/derm rather than IM) and most likely will go into PC or strictly outpatient speciality rheum/endo/allergy. Tentative list so far...

1. Dartmouth
2. OHSU
3. S&W Texas A&M- was really impressed with the program
4. Virginia
5. Baylor
6. Utah
7. UC-Davis
8. UNC- not impressed
9. South Carolina
10. Tennessee
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
want more resident friendly ( hate saying "cush" because I think describes transitional year/derm rather than IM) and most likely will go into PC or strictly outpatient speciality rheum/endo/allergy. Tentative list so far...

1. Dartmouth
2. OHSU
3. S&W Texas A&M- was really impressed with the program
4. Virginia
5. Baylor
6. Utah
7. UC-Davis
8. UNC- not impressed
9. South Carolina
10. Tennessee

i dunno what you mean by resident friendly...do you mean you get more personalized attention (i.e. small class size?) or do you mean you work less?
if its the latter, dartmouth is not that. i know a current intern there and they work HARD. they are very friendly and have a very small class, meaning more personal relationships with the PD, but does not mean it is by no means cush. they work hard and have great training for that reason.
 
purely based on GI fellowship match success please

UTSW
montefiore
cedar sinai
uc irvine
usc
dartmouth
uc davis
loma linda

is this about right?
 
i dunno what you mean by resident friendly...do you mean you get more personalized attention (i.e. small class size?) or do you mean you work less?
if its the latter, dartmouth is not that. i know a current intern there and they work HARD. they are very friendly and have a very small class, meaning more personal relationships with the PD, but does not mean it is by no means cush. they work hard and have great training for that reason.

Interesting. You might have more insight bc of your friend but the impression that I got is they get more time off than the other programs that I interviewed at.
 
purely based on GI fellowship match success please

UTSW
montefiore
cedar sinai
uc irvine
usc
dartmouth
uc davis
loma linda

is this about right?

from what i gather, as an applicant, sounds about right having interviewed at most of those places.
 
Many people (myself included) would probably move Tufts and GWU down near SLU and put UPMC, Iowa and IU up higher. But your top 3 is a no-brainer and you could arrange them in any order and it would be hard to argue with.

I was really impressed by my interview day at GWU. I thought the attendings, residents, and opportunities were great. But I'm curious why several people recommend ranking this program lower than others.
 
I was really impressed by my interview day at GWU. I thought the attendings, residents, and opportunities were great. But I'm curious why several people recommend ranking this program lower than others.

probably "reputation" . if you liked it and thought you'd thrive there then rank it high.
 
I was really impressed by my interview day at GWU. I thought the attendings, residents, and opportunities were great. But I'm curious why several people recommend ranking this program lower than others.

What are you interested in? GW M4 here..
 
Hi guys,
Really appreciate feedback on my rank list.
I don't have family so no geographical preference. I don't mind the cold vs hot. Interested in cards

- Emory
- U of Minn
- UT Houston

- UMDNJ
- UMKC
- CCF

- U conn
- MCG/GHSU

- Methodist Houston
- William Beaumont
- WHC (Washington Hospital center)



Emory should be your clear favorite. William Beaumont has a strong and extremely cush cards fellowship, maybe consider moving them up if they take their own for fellowship.
 
Interest in cards or ID

Wisconsin
Iowa
Case western
Indiana
Loyola
Osu
Minnesota
Mayo

Shooting for mid tier cards or elite ID program

Loyola has a fair cards program, but an outstanding EP program. If they take their own for fellowship and you are interested in EP you should consider that.

Don't know much about the Wisconsin residency program, but people on this board have advocated strong for it. They have sent a number of people to Wash U for cards, which is an outstanding all-around program.
 
I'm really struggling to rank these programs.

UMDNJ-RWJ
St. Luke's-Roosevelt
UMDNJ-NJMS
Cooper

They all seem great. I plan on going into Heme/Onc. SLR has a great location but it isn't a University program. RWJ seems the strongest but the location kinda sucks. I liked NJMS the most and the PD was the best I've seen, but it doesn't have an in-house heme/onc fellowship (although apparently they match into outside heme/onc programs). Cooper was great and the PD is brilliant and approachable, but it doesn't seem as strong as RWJ.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really struggling to rank these programs.

UMDNJ-RWJ
St. Luke's-Roosevelt
UMDNJ-NJMS
Cooper

They all seem great. I plan on going into Heme/Onc. SLR has a great location but it isn't a University program. RWJ seems the strongest but the location kinda sucks. I liked NJMS the most and the PD was the best I've seen, but it doesn't have an in-house heme/onc fellowship (although apparently they match into outside heme/onc programs). Cooper was great and the PD is brilliant and approachable, but it doesn't seem as strong as RWJ.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!!


RWJ > NJMS, SLR >>>>Cooper
 
Hey guys,

So my career goals are to become a practicing oncologist and teach at an academic center of some kind, preferably a med school. I have a bias towards NYC, as I live here and know that if I leave I'll never move back. However, some of these other programs are enticing. the 5 I'm throwing around are as follows.

If I stay in the city, go to NYU or Sinai.

If I leave, go to UPMC, WashU, or Mayo.

Do you think any of them will get me to my goal that I listed above? Any thoughts on ranking?
 
Agree with the above. Believe me, Cooper isn't that great. The NJMS heme/onc match list is pretty solid, although RWJ is probably somewhat better overall.
 
Just looking for some help on ranking. I am interested in cards and prefer the northeast. I think my top 3 programs are set, but I am not sure about the rest. They are listed in order of preference. Any advice is appreciated.

BIDMC
Yale
Mount Sinai
Brown
Wash U
BU
Tufts
North Shore-LIJ
Georgetowm
NJMS
Jefferson
RWJ
AECOM-Montefiore
Dartmouth
Winthrop