Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone, thanks in advance. not done with season, but close!

could use some input on the list. thinking academics in the future

Yale Research (w/guaranteed Heme/Onc) vs Sinai Fast Track (no guarantee but consistent placement at MSKCC) vs Pitt Research (w/guaranteed Pulm)

also, BU Research (w/guaranteed Heme/Onc) vs Case (w/guaranteed Heme/Onc)

With a PhD which it seems you have, you can pretty much write your own ticket if you are an otherwise good candidate. If you want legit hardcore academic heme/onc, you want to be at the Farber, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson or Hopkins.

Not sure where the pulm fast track is coming from?

Are you ready to commit to New Haven, or any area, for 8 years? Did you happen to get any straight medicine interviews at higher tier programs, without the short track?

Members don't see this ad.

With a PhD which it seems you have, you can pretty much write your own ticket if you are an otherwise good candidate. If you want legit hardcore academic heme/onc, you want to be at the Farber, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson or Hopkins.

Not sure where the pulm fast track is coming from?

Are you ready to commit to New Haven, or any area, for 8 years? Did you happen to get any straight medicine interviews at higher tier programs, without the short track?

For most of those programs, you are simultaneously a candidate for the categorical residency as well. The longer time commitment is not so concerning. I am guessing that you think it'd be better to go categorical at a stronger program and forego the guarantee at a place I'd have no problem getting in two years anyway

Pulm at Pitt is very impressive. Easily the most developed vascular biology group I've seen this year. I've interviewed with both fellowships, depending on the institute

For most of those programs, you are simultaneously a candidate for the categorical residency as well. The longer time commitment is not so concerning. I am guessing that you think it'd be better to go categorical at a stronger program and forego the guarantee at a place I'd have no problem getting in two years anyway

Pulm at Pitt is very impressive. Easily the most developed vascular biology group I've seen this year. I've interviewed with both fellowships, depending on the institute

I mean anecdotally, the people I know who applied for fellowship with PhDs from traditional categorical top tier medicine programs did extremely well in the match.

That said, a bird in the hand is hard to pass up, and if you are 100% sure you want to do academics, you might enjoy skipping that extra year of clinical medicine. Additionally, you get the comfort of knowing you have a fellowship spot, and can also buy property knowing you are there long-term.

Members don't see this ad :)
too much transplant for my tastes, and I haven't kept up on who they have there doing pulmonary hypertension these days, but I know they probably have more money than they probably know what to do with

too much transplant for my tastes, and I haven't kept up on who they have there doing pulmonary hypertension these days, but I know they probably have more money than they probably know what to do with

the transplant volume is ridiculous. it's a actually a draw for me, more for the research aspect

they're recruiting a new Simons chair; Kaminsky was recruited away by Yale. and you're right, they have more money than they know what to do with.

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some constructive feedback on my rank list. I'm not asking anyone to make it for me, but I'd hate to be wrongly putting a good program way down the list for the wrong reasons. I realize that a huge factor in ranking somewhere is my subjective feeling on interview day, but an objective opinion is always welcome.
My story: I'm a non-US IMG (which will explain the somewhat random rank list) from a well regarded European School. I'm still undecided on subspecialty, but would like to keep my options as open as possible for pulm/CC or GI.
My current list:
1: University of Utah
2: Temple University
3: Cleveland Clinic
4: University of Connecticut
5: University of New Mexico
6: Maine Medical Center
7: Mayo Clinic Arizona
8: Drexel University
9: Pennsy (Pennsylvania Hospital)
10: Baystate Medical Center, Mass.
11: Washington Hospital Center, D.C.
12: St Luke's-Roosevelt, New York
13: Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia
14: Lankenau Hospital, Philadelphia

Won't rank: Seton Hall, New Jersey.

My questions to you guys:
Would you change and choices above and why?
Do any of those programs jump out as strong in pulm/cc or GI?

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading, and happy new year.

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some constructive feedback on my rank list. I'm not asking anyone to make it for me, but I'd hate to be wrongly putting a good program way down the list for the wrong reasons. I realize that a huge factor in ranking somewhere is my subjective feeling on interview day, but an objective opinion is always welcome.
My story: I'm a non-US IMG (which will explain the somewhat random rank list) from a well regarded European School. I'm still undecided on subspecialty, but would like to keep my options as open as possible for pulm/CC or GI.
My current list:

list looks fine and Utah is one of those place I liked for both IM and fellowship when I was there

Hi guys,

My current list:

I would make some minor tweaks in the 2-6 range but only for location (and those are my preferences, likely not yours), NOT for program quality or future options. Otherwise it looks good the way it is.

Hello! I am a IMG hoping to get into Internal medicine residency. I have read through many posts on this forum which has given me a tremendous insight into programs which as IMG would be impossible for me to know. Being totally new to this forum, I would greatly appreciate if anyone can give some suggestions on the rank list according to its reputation, training and research to get a good fellowship position in GI/Cards (inclined to do either of the two) below:
1. Cleveland Ohio
2. University of Maryland
3. Tufts , New England / Temple - unable to decide in terms of reputation
4. Henry Ford
5. University of Iowa
6. VCU
7. Pennsylvania Hospital
8. Albert einstein PA
9. Lankenau
10. Washington Hospital Center
I do not know where to fit NJMS reason being, there does not seem to be enough research opportunities.
I do not have any geographical preference.
I would greatly appreciate any inputs. Thanks!!

If this were my list, it would look like:

1. Iowa
2. Maryland
3. VCU
4. Cleveland Clinic (I assume that's what you meant by "Cleveland, Ohio". Unless you want to rank all programs in that city #1)
5. Tufts
6. Temple
7. NJMS
8-10. The rest

What do you guys think of this list? I think I want to specialize but I'm not sure what specialty yet. So I'm looking for a program that is going to give me plenty of options following residency if I do decide to do a fellowship (so somewhere that is not strong/well known in just one specialty). I'm also interested in a career in academic medicine so I guess that the residency "name" has some importance in my decision. I'm from the South but am willing to move out of the region for the right program. Here's my list:

1. Vanderbilt: Great location for me and great reputation. Really an ideal place for me.
2. UVA: Absolutely loved this place, am I crazy for putting this above the programs below? Will going here rather than my other choices really limit my fellowship opportunities at great programs? I'm actually considering ranking it first.
3. UNC: Again, loved this place but I have the same concerns as with UVA. I have some family in this area so that puts it further up on my list.
4. Wash U: great reputation and training, less than ideal location for me. I'll consider ranking it higher (maybe 2nd or 3rd) just because of all its positives
5. UTSW: I really loved this interview as well and it has a great reputation. I do have some reservations due to the whole "friends don't let friends go to UTSW" thing.
6. UAB: great program, really don't want to live in Birmingham
7. Emory: Nice place, but kind of had a weird vibe to me.
8. Wake Forest
9. MUSC
10. Baylor: known as a great program, I just didn't get a good feeling.
11. Tulane

Also, I just received an invite to OHSU after being waitlisted for a while. I've heard great things about this place but it's really far from home, end of the interview season, and a very expensive trip. Knowing my list and some of what I'm looking for in a program, is this an absolutely can't miss interview?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think of this list? I think I want to specialize but I'm not sure what specialty yet. So I'm looking for a program that is going to give me plenty of options following residency if I do decide to do a fellowship (so somewhere that is not strong/well known in just one specialty). I'm also interested in a career in academic medicine so I guess that the residency "name" has some importance in my decision. I'm from the South but am willing to move out of the region for the right program. Here's my list:

1. Vanderbilt: Great location for me and great reputation. Really an ideal place for me.
2. UVA: Absolutely loved this place, am I crazy for putting this above the programs below? Will going here rather than my other choices really limit my fellowship opportunities at great programs? I'm actually considering ranking it first.
3. UNC: Again, loved this place but I have the same concerns as with UVA. I have some family in this area so that puts it further up on my list.
4. Wash U: great reputation and training, less than ideal location for me. I'll consider ranking it higher (maybe 2nd or 3rd) just because of all its positives
5. UTSW: I really loved this interview as well and it has a great reputation. I do have some reservations due to the whole "friends don't let friends go to UTSW" thing.
6. UAB: great program, really don't want to live in Birmingham
7. Emory: Nice place, but kind of had a weird vibe to me.
8. Wake Forest
9. MUSC
10. Baylor: known as a great program, I just didn't get a good feeling.
11. Tulane

Also, I just received an invite to OHSU after being waitlisted for a while. I've heard great things about this place but it's really far from home, end of the interview season, and a very expensive trip. Knowing my list and some of what I'm looking for in a program, is this an absolutely can't miss interview?

Thanks for your input.

Nice list of programs. If you like UVA that much, then by all means rank it #1. Its not gonna hurt you. Neither is UNC. You really won't be closing any doors with pretty much your entire list (might be a little harder towards the end of your list). If you don't go to OHSU interview, i don't think you'll regret it. its a good place but your list already has programs that are probably considered "more reputable" and closer to your neck of the woods. Just pick where you think you'll be happy.

I gotta disagree with the whole friends/UTSW thing though but i'll save that for another thread.

Anyone care to comment on BUMC vs NYU for the rank list? I liked both programs and will rank them probably right next to each other. I'm asking because I feel like I have a very very good chance at matching at either one, and I want to make sure I'm thinking about this the right way. I feel like their reputations are both similar (do more experienced people agree with me on this?), and both Boston/Manhattan seem to provide a similar living/social scene. Thoughts? I'm interested in a strong general IM training. Future plans are undecided but maybe cards/CC/ID/hospitalist....really, who knows? Thanks everyone!

Yeah. But then you'd have to do residency where you didn't like it as much. I think taking a big name over where you think you would thrive is terribly advice. Medical training isn't just a cynical game of pedigree and what would bug me everyday for three years is to find myself in a big name program full of douches who are also really there because of the name brand.

I used to think that way as well that medicine is medicine no matter where you train everyone comes out the same more or less. The reality is not as such. Not to sound like a jerk, but there is something to be said about the company you train in. There is a reason pedigree works. Having trained in different "top name" environments, I can (and hopefully so can you) vouch that the bell curve for each program is not the same. In the big scheme of things, Columbia (or insert any top 10 name) is going to give you better training - don't discount the quality of residents and attendings. With all due respect, not everyone who trains or stays at big names is narcissistic or a sociopath. And the OP never said that he was going to kill himself/herself if (s)he were to stay at Columbia. The "interview day feeling" could very well be misguided - depending on who (s)he met on interview day and how good the program is at hiding their shortcomings. But that is just my opinion.

I used to think that way as well that medicine is medicine no matter where you train everyone comes out the same more or less. The reality is not as such. Not to sound like a jerk, but there is something to be said about the company you train in. There is a reason pedigree works. Having trained in different "top name" environments, I can (and hopefully so can you) vouch that the bell curve for each program is not the same. In the big scheme of things, Columbia (or insert any top 10 name) is going to give you better training - don't discount the quality of residents and attendings. With all due respect, not everyone who trains or stays at big names is narcissistic or a sociopath. And the OP never said that he was going to kill himself/herself if (s)he were to stay at Columbia. The "interview day feeling" could very well be misguided - depending on who (s)he met on interview day and how good the program is at hiding their shortcomings. But that is just my opinion.

I've worked with some of your homies coming from top 10's. Not better fellows. Where is your god now?

I don't know whose anecdote gets to win.

One more quick question, if I need to rank University of Connecticut and Albany Medical Center, then will the list be as follows? I forgot to mention these two in my above post. Sorry about that! Being University programs, I guess they would be ranked higher than the Community programs, with exception to CCF?

UConn is a fairly decent program, but I know nothing about Albany. Neither were appealing to me due to geography. I'm not fond of CCF, as the quality of its IM program is discussed elsewhere on this site. But, it's probably better than a few university programs, and definitely better than most community programs. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with your updated ranking.

Anyone care to comment on BUMC vs NYU for the rank list? I liked both programs and will rank them probably right next to each other. I'm asking because I feel like I have a very very good chance at matching at either one, and I want to make sure I'm thinking about this the right way. I feel like their reputations are both similar (do more experienced people agree with me on this?), and both Boston/Manhattan seem to provide a similar living/social scene. Thoughts? I'm interested in a strong general IM training. Future plans are undecided but maybe cards/CC/ID/hospitalist....really, who knows? Thanks everyone!

I will preface this by saying that I am (obviously) biased at this point and (obviously) know much more about one program than the other but will throw in my thoughts….

You are correct in your assessment that these two programs are similar. Structurally each has a city hospital and a large regional VA. The patient populations are fairly similar with lots of poor and immigrant patients with poor access to healthcare and poor health literacy. The difference is that NYU has Tisch, the private hospital where you will see rich patients with good insurance. I’ve heard that while this provides a diversity of experience it generally detracts from the overall resident educational perspective. I’ve heard that you will encounter patients there who refuse to be seen by a resident. I’m unsure about whether there are private attendings as well.

With regards to reputation I think both programs are known to provide strong training and are both viewed highly. NYU probably has a slight edge since BU is a more up-and-coming program that has just recently broken free from its past reputation of being a “malignant” program and now attracts very strong residents. Overall though I don’t think your opportunities would be significantly different coming from either of these programs.

The major differences between the programs as I see them:

- Block scheduling: BU has a 3+1 system while NYU still has the traditional system. The block scheduling is excellent in that it is a huge boost to quality of life (8-5 schedule for a week plus a golden weekend every month) and educationally (able to focus on outpatient IM rather than having clinic be a burden that detracts from everyone’s inpatient experience)

- Scut work: non-existent at BU while I hear NYU has the same issues as other NYC programs (residents having to do blood draws and transport patients)

- Culture of the residency program: PDs at both programs are fantastic, personable and care greatly about the residents and their respective programs. My feel was that NYU had a bit more of a frat house feel to it whereas at BU people are a bit more down to earth though I'm sure you'd find people you get along with at both programs since they are fairly large.

- Cost of living: Boston is way cheaper than NYC. In Boston you can easily pay half as much rent for a larger apartment than you would get in NYC. NYC does have an edge from a cultural and nightlife perspective but it’s not going to be very accessible on a resident’s salary when you’re blowing 2/3 of it on rent. On the other hand I’ve found that I have a lot of discretionary income in Boston since I’m paying ~40% of my salary for rent and am getting three square meals daily for free during inpatient weeks. In addition shows/concerts/sporting events/nightlife is significantly cheaper than in NYC. Unfortunately IMO to truly enjoy life in NYC nowadays you have to at least be pulling in a six-figure salary.

Regarding your specific interests BU is a great place to be for ID and Pulm

Finally IM has been getting progressively more competitive so don't underestimate how competitive these two programs will be given their extremely popular locations. Also last year almost half of NYU's incoming intern class consisted of NYU graduates.

Thanks for your reply, skinMD. I didn't mean to be cocky -- I just meant, because of where I'm listing the programs on my rank list, I'm trying to very realistically imagine myself ending up at one of them, and wanted to make sure I was thinking about the two programs in an appropriate way.

Anyone else care to comment on NYU vs. BU?

Having trouble deciding between BU vs Brown vs Einstein for #4-6 on my list. My top 3 is pretty much set (Cornell, BIDMC, and Yale). In terms of reputation, does brown = BU > einstein? Based on location it's BU > einstein > brown, although I am willing to live in any of these cities. I'm interested in a competitive fellowship after (GI, cards, pulm cc). Any thoughts on how you would rank these 3 schools?

Having trouble deciding between BU vs Brown vs Einstein for #4-6 on my list. My top 3 is pretty much set (Cornell, BIDMC, and Yale). In terms of reputation, does brown = BU > einstein? Based on location it's BU > einstein > brown, although I am willing to live in any of these cities. I'm interested in a competitive fellowship after (GI, cards, pulm cc). Any thoughts on how you would rank these 3 schools?
Personally? Brown, Einstein, BU (but I hate Boston in general). But reasonable arguments could be made for putting them in any order and you could do worse than flipping a coin on them.

I think in terms of reputation all three are basically equal. Maybe BU and einstein get a bit of an edge because you get the inner city underserved population experience. in terms of resident happiness BU = Brown >>> einstein. When I interviewed i couldn't find a single resident at einstein who who I thought was truly happy. seemed like most were just keeping their head down and powering through. honestly i'd suggest that if you don't have a compelling reason to go to einstein (basically needing to be in NYC) you should let it drop on your rank list.

I know that some philly programs have been ranked above but having a tough time sorting through the following, with special consideration for fellowship placement (possibly endo or pulm):

Any outliers good/bad?

Temple
RWJ
Penn State Hershey
Cooper
Einstein-philly
Lankenau
Pennsy
Drexel

Thanks in advance

Finished the order for my top few programs, but having some trouble with the middle ones. My SO would like to end up in southern California (eventually), and would like me to rank California programs (USC, UCI, Cedars, Harbor-UCLA) higher for location. Of course I would love to be in nicer weather and make him happy, but I want to be sure I will receive strong training and that I'll have a shot to match at a strong GI fellowship program. Here is my list currently:

USC
UCI
Cedars
Harbor-UCLA
Utah
Jefferson
Temple
Maryland
Hopkins-Bayview
UIC
Case
OSU
Loyola

Are all these programs pretty equivalent or would you guys recommend moving some/all of the California programs lower? I'm at a med school in the midwest so the medicine department does not know a lot about the quality of training in the west. Any advice would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance!

I know that some philly programs have been ranked above but having a tough time sorting through the following, with special consideration for fellowship placement (possibly endo or pulm):

Any outliers good/bad?

Temple
RWJ
Penn State Hershey
Cooper
Einstein-philly
Lankenau
Pennsy
Drexel

Thanks in advance

Out of all those I only interviewed at temple but just wondering why you have Drexel all the way at the bottom lower than all the community programs. Seems odd.

Out of all those I only interviewed at temple but just wondering why you have Drexel all the way at the bottom lower than all the community programs. Seems odd.

My apologies, I meant to mention that those were not listed in any particular order. Thanks though!

My apologies, I meant to mention that those were not listed in any particular order. Thanks though!

in that case you should put them in order if you want an answer (ugh i'm starting to sound like gutonc)

I would appreciate any feedback on the following programs for IM:
Northwestern, Georgetown, UVA, OSU, Indiana

I think in terms of reputation all three are basically equal. Maybe BU and einstein get a bit of an edge because you get the inner city underserved population experience. in terms of resident happiness BU = Brown >>> einstein. When I interviewed i couldn't find a single resident at einstein who who I thought was truly happy. seemed like most were just keeping their head down and powering through. honestly i'd suggest that if you don't have a compelling reason to go to einstein (basically needing to be in NYC) you should let it drop on your rank list.

FYI from personal (biased if you will) experience the bolded is not true at all. Intern year is particularly difficult compared to other programs but residency is very frontloaded and R2 and R3 and much better and the residents are very happy. There is an exceptional amount of nights (it comes to 3-3.5months with all the units, floors, and ED time combined!) which some people might say influences happiness, but when on nights you only work 5 shifts giving you a much longer time off (60 hours) which many of my peers find preferable to working days. In terms of happiness, I really disagree residents aren't happy. When I interviewed last January the interns were as you say "trying to power through," but these feelings are very fluid and really depend on your schedule. Ie catching someone in the midst of 4 months straight of floors will have a different feel than a person just coming off an elective. Anyway this is kind of pointless I do agree with the rest of your assessment.

For the poster who initially asked the question, my opinion, FWIW, is that as gutonc said, Monte, Brown and BU fall in line with several of the mid tier Northeast/Midatlantic programs that you could flip a coin and go to any of them and it wouldn't make a difference either way. Each have a great training and the only one that might be lesser of the 3 would be Brown, which I felt could limit fellowship aspirations with their strong focus on primary care (ugh and couldn't imagine living in Providence). In any event it comes down to the "feel" you had at each of these places. Plus as MeatTornado said, it may just come down to which city you'd prefer to live in.

Seeing this thread makes me miss the old days.

Some thoughts:
-UVa probably a very under rated program.
-Bayview is an interview that I wish I went on.
-Baylor, Emory, UAB are brutal programs, but I think they make some legit internists

Reactions: 1 user
Finished the order for my top few programs, but having some trouble with the middle ones. My SO would like to end up in southern California (eventually), and would like me to rank California programs (USC, UCI, Cedars, Harbor-UCLA) higher for location. Of course I would love to be in nicer weather and make him happy, but I want to be sure I will receive strong training and that I'll have a shot to match at a strong GI fellowship program. Here is my list currently:

USC
UCI
Cedars
Harbor-UCLA
Utah
Jefferson
Temple
Maryland
Hopkins-Bayview
UIC
Case
OSU
Loyola

Are all these programs pretty equivalent or would you guys recommend moving some/all of the California programs lower? I'm at a med school in the midwest so the medicine department does not know a lot about the quality of training in the west. Any advice would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance!

California
USC
Cedars
UCI
Harbor

What do people think about Penn vs Stanford? Penn - Clearly a strong program and tons of opportunities, but did anyone get a sense of how happy the residents were? Stanford - residents seem the happiest by far, people doing cool nontraditional things in medicine, patient population may not be as diverse, altho their fellowship match seems strong.

What do people think about Penn vs Stanford? Penn - Clearly a strong program and tons of opportunities, but did anyone get a sense of how happy the residents were? Stanford - residents seem the happiest by far, people doing cool nontraditional things in medicine, patient population may not be as diverse, altho their fellowship match seems strong.

Also curious about resident happiness at Penn; definitely did not get a good sense for this during my interview day.

I really need help deciding between a University affiliated Community program with in-house fellowship of choice(cards or heme-onc) vs a University program with a fellowship of choice not in house (but in a really good area).

Second opinion I'm looking for is, how much did "good weather" play a factor in ranking programs or breaking a tie?

I really need help deciding between a University affiliated Community program with in-house fellowship of choice(cards or heme-onc) vs a University program with a fellowship of choice not in house (but in a really good area).

Second opinion I'm looking for is, how much did "good weather" play a factor in ranking programs or breaking a tie?

you probably won't get an answer unless you name the programs

good weather did not play any role in my rank list but location did as i only applied to programs in the four major northeast cities.

Location matters a lot for some people, and less so for others.

Hello everyone! Happy holidays, and I hope your interview seasons are going well for those who are making their way through the process!!!
I have a few questions about some programs I interviewed at and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share any opinions they may have about some of these programs! I really enjoyed my time at all of them, but as we all know... interviews are just one day.

U Kentucky -
LSU Shreveport -
Geisinger -
Case Western Metrohealth -
Newark Beth Israel -

I have my top 3 programs set in stone, and these are the programs I am considering ordering 4-8. I am looking to get into a cardiology fellowship, and I would appreciate some outside perspective on these programs... anything you know about them would be greatly appreciated!

Location is irrelevant to me, as you can tell by the spacing of the programs.

Hello everyone! Happy holidays, and I hope your interview seasons are going well for those who are making their way through the process!!!
I have a few questions about some programs I interviewed at and I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share any opinions they may have about some of these programs! I really enjoyed my time at all of them, but as we all know... interviews are just one day.

U Kentucky -
LSU Shreveport -
Geisinger -
Case Western Metrohealth -
Newark Beth Israel -

I have my top 3 programs set in stone, and these are the programs I am considering ordering 4-8. I am looking to get into a cardiology fellowship, and I would appreciate some outside perspective on these programs... anything you know about them would be greatly appreciated!

Location is irrelevant to me, as you can tell by the spacing of the programs.
Put Case between UK and LSU and go have a drink.

i would put uk / lsu as the top 2 and the rest whatever you like. you will not get a cards fellowship going to metrohealth.

i would put uk / lsu as the top 2 and the rest whatever you like. you will not get a cards fellowship going to metrohealth.

Is it a dump? I saw they have a cards fellowship at metrohealth, perhaps they don't take their own?

I actually haven't interviewed there yet!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.