*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
impossible to say. They are working remotely and thus inefficient in many ways. Could easily take a week or two

Yes, they have know idea if the latest transcript has an updated grade, a repair of a some error, or what. They normally wait until all transcripts are received

Yes, as they now have to go back and see if the new transcripts have differences
Understood. @gonnif

I just received an update that they have received my Electronic Transcript today! However, I unfortunately mailed in my mail copy yesterday and it's on its way. All of my transcripts are now in. I plan to submit my application on around May 28th if possible and so is there anything I can do to have them "ignore" the mail copy that is being received? Rather, is there anything I can do to stop any delay in verification whatsoever?

Furthermore, in the worst case scenario say my app is verified by June 2nd week ( as all my electronic copies are in) and the mail in copy is marked as received on shortly after that point. How does the process work- will my app still be in the same position in the queue as before as it has already been verified? Will they change my status?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, so I am entering into an MPH program that runs from 08/2020-06/2021. I have no idea how I'd enter this program into amcas for a few reasons
a) we haven't registered for courses yet (and I haven't decided what courses I want to do)
b) When I put this into amcas it says that I need a transcript. I'm unsure when my school would be able to send a transcript (maybe late June/July?). I looked into the transcript exception option...but this seems weird especially considering they say it'll hold up my app and I'm still required to submit a transcript until they make a determination?

I'm not a fan of basically holding up my application on this one thing...If I just put down Im starting in august 2020 will amcas ignore the requirement for me to have transcripts received from that program and let me submit starting may 28? how do people typically account for this situation?

Hi all, my paper transcript was mailed on 5/7, about two weeks ago, and has yet to be marked as received. Did anyone else have a paper transcript mailed around the same time? Has it been received yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know whats going on with Parchment transcripts? Parchment says AMCAS received and downloaded but AMCAS app says Not Received. Called AMCAS and they send to resend. Send it twice now, paid for both times, both times Parchment status says AMCAS downloaded transcript but app still did not change from 'Not Received' status. Do I call them again?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been able to successfully contact AMCAS by phone? I've been trying to for the past week without any luck...

Has anyone been able to successfully contact AMCAS by phone? I've been trying to for the past week without any luck...
Bro omg every single time I have to wait for atleast an hour. Believe it or not when I called yesterday, I waited for 2 hours and my line was cut. I called again and waited for an hour and 15 minutes before someone answered.

unreal

Anyone know whats going on with Parchment transcripts? Parchment says AMCAS received and downloaded but AMCAS app says Not Received. Called AMCAS and they send to resend. Send it twice now, paid for both times, both times Parchment status says AMCAS downloaded transcript but app still did not change from 'Not Received' status. Do I call them again?
I was in the same position as you, I sent 3 electronic parchment transcripts and none were “received by amcas” even though parchment kept confirming that they did receive it.
I requested a mail in copy just to be on the safe side. I suggest you do the same in case they screw up with not finding your transcript.

Bro omg every single time I have to wait for atleast an hour. Believe it or not when I called yesterday, I waited for 2 hours and my line was cut. I called again and waited for an hour and 15 minutes before someone answered.

unreal

So crazy! I've been having transcript issues myself and need to speak to them. It's really frustrating!

Hi everyone,

I am curious about the breakdown question for college funding. Are they asking how you funded your tuition plus room and board, or just tuition?

Thanks.

Lets see if I got this straight. Your transcript has the AP listed with letter grade but no credits saying duplicate transfer. It also list your actual physics college course with credit and grade? If that is the case, you would list both courses as repeats but the AP class has no credits so therefore will not be part of the GPA

nope, sorry for not being clear. There is a lumped "AP credit" at the end of my transcript which indicates all the units I was given, with no description. So for the amcas I am breaking it down based on my credit record and showing the units I was given for each AP test as directed, but no grade. No letter grade or breakdown is on my official transcript.

The complicated part is here: I was given "Credit" through AP for my first physics course in the eyes of my institution, so when I took the course at the institution it was listed as "duplicate transfer work" on my official transcript. It does list the letter grades for this course at my institution but does not list the # of units (it says 0).

I received course credit for being a TA for a human anatomy course that is cross-listed through biology and anthropology. Since the home department for this course at my school is anthropology, I received TA credit through the anthropology department. Should I classify the credit on my as Biology (since the course I TA'ed for was a biology course) or Behavioral and Social Sciences (since it is through the anthro department)? It is listed as "Undergraduate teaching assistant", so there is no indication as to what the course I TA'ed for actually was on my transcript.

I couldn't find the thread for the following question and it is very TIME SENSITIVE so I'd figure I'd post here and have somebody help me. I appreciate it very much.

If I submit my primary application via AMCAS for ONLY ONE SCHOOL for the purposes of getting my application processed and pay the amount due, BUT THEN FILE my FAP and get approved later on, will I still have 20 primary application fees waived via the FAP? Essentially I'll pay for the first school, but would like to have the fee waiver kick in for the future schools that I apply to after receiving my MCAT score. I imagine this is how it works since they say benefits are not retroactive, so I'll just pay for the one school to process my application in the mean time, and then use the benefits for the other 20 schools I plan on applying to. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find the thread for the following question and it is very TIME SENSITIVE so I'd figure I'd post here and have somebody help me. I appreciate it very much.

If I submit my primary application via AMCAS for ONLY ONE SCHOOL for the purposes of getting my application processed and pay the amount due, BUT THEN FILE my FAP and get approved later on, will I still have 20 primary application fees waived via the FAP? Essentially I'll pay for the first school, but would like to have the fee waiver kick in for the future schools that I apply to after receiving my MCAT score. I imagine this is how it works since they say benefits are not retroactive, so I'll just pay for the one school to process my application in the mean time, and then use the benefits for the other 20 schools I plan on applying to. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.
You'd best ask AAMC directly. It also takes time to process your FAP application. Apply to AAMC’s Fee Assistance Program

Hi all, my paper transcript was mailed on 5/7, about two weeks ago, and has yet to be marked as received. Did anyone else have a paper transcript mailed around the same time? Has it been received yet?
unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I am getting concerned my app will be delayed because of it. I guess there is a delay due to covid? Not sure how significantly it will impact things.

unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I am getting concerned my app will be delayed because of it. I guess there is a delay due to covid? Not sure how significantly it will impact things.

I was reading on another forum that they were having issues when sending to the PO box that is on the transcript request form. They said that they called AAMC and the operator said that they needed to send it to this address on Contact Us:

Association of American Medical Colleges
655 K Street NW, Suite 100
Washington, DC, 20001-2399
202-828-0400

Can this be verified?

I sent my transcripts today, one to the PO box address and the one listed above.

I was reading on another forum that they were having issues when sending to the PO box that is on the transcript request form. They said that they called AAMC and the operator said that they needed to send it to this address on Contact Us:

202-828-0400

Can this be verified?

I sent my transcripts today, one to the PO box address and the one listed above.
omg, thank you for sharing this. I really appreciate it

202-828-0400

Can this be verified?

I messaged them on Twitter to ask which address we should use but who knows if I'll get a response. I'm inclined to use the PO Box until more official guidance from them otherwise. A few people have said theirs' eventually got processed when sent to the PO Box.

pretty specific question here but I just talked to a Doc who submitted his letter for me to my committee and he said in that letter that he talked about me shadowing over two winter breaks and two summers. However, I was only in there over 2 winter breaks and my application reflects that. Will this be a big deal or will adcoms just assume he got mixed up?

@gonnif

Hey thanks for taking the time for answering all these questions. You're a true lifesaver. I know you already discussed this, but I just wanted your thoughts on this whole delay in paper transcripts.

I'm extremely frustrated at how my application will be delayed because one of my schools I took classes at does not not use e-transcript and only recently sent it in the mail (today). I've spent the past few years preparing my application and ensuring I apply on time, which is especially important since I only have mediocre stats, and the thought that I will be at an disadvantage compared to all the students with schools that can send e-transcripts is very upsetting. As soon as this transcript is received, I am planning on submitting and who knows how long it will take to be verified afterwards. Basically I was wondering if you could put into perspective how much of a disadvantage students like myself will be in due to the delays by AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all this delay is caused by the pandemic. AMCAS cannot be fully staffed as washington, along with chicago and LA, is still be hard hit by COVID-19. The paper transcripts need to be opened, scanned, and processed and fully half of all transcripts last cycle, 70,000 copies, were paper

Second of all, it is still two weeks before they even begin processing applications and then an additional 6 weeks until first transmission to the schools

Third of all, it will takes weeks for schools to go through the applications. And the medical schools are fully aware of the delays this cycle. Their people are closed to or on the front lines of this pandemic

Fourth of all, if you are complete at a school by mid-to-late September, there will certainly no impact by “timing” or from lateness. Your are “in the door” for the adcom to fully consider by early December.

Lastly, all applications coming in will be initially screened and prioritized based on merits. If you are a weaker candidate, you will likely be evaluated later in the cycle.

Yes this pandemic is frustrating and wholly unfair. We have little or no control over many things. In that sense it socially closest to the home front in a war. Plans get thrown into disarray, life gets severely change, and simple things like going to the store or having a paper transcripts properly and quickly processed became hard challenges.

You're completely right in that this was caused by the pandemic not AMCAS. I guess this just added stress to an already stressful process. I appreciate you sharing your insight, advice and facts.

Hi, thanks for helping :) My transcript has advanced placement units listed since AP courses can get us out of some common core requirements but no credit hours are awarded whatsoever, I'm assuming the same guidelines for listing AP classes apply?

In addition, in a very specific example, I took AP psychology, which at my university allows us to get out of 1 of 2 introductory psychology courses required of the major, the choice of which is at our discretion. Therefore, I took one of the intro courses as well as upper level psychology electives to substitute for the other intro course. Would that one intro course still need to be counted as a repeat even though it was required by my institution??
I'm bumping this post to see if I can get any advice.

As a third question, I was part of a university honors program that consisted of specific seminar classes with a range of material including philosophy, theology, literature, art history and film. There are 11 seminars in total so a significant portion of my total coursework (nearly equivalent to two minors). Would it be appropriate to classify them as alternating philosophy/theology and english language & literature with the honors course type?

AMCAS instructs us to enter AP/IB credits as the time we were awarded the credit. Obviously, I took these AP/IB tests in high school but I did not claim them until my sophomore/senior year of college. Would I reflect my year in school as the respective year I claimed the credits (i.e the year they showed up on my transcript)? Or would I reflect this as the FR status as stated in the handbook?

Quick question regarding course entry:

I have received my final course grades for this semester. However, they will not appear on the transcript I sent to AMCAS, because they will not be official until the middle of June. On AMCAS, should I list the letter grades, or mark them as still in progress?

Thanks
List your grades.

1. Some of my courses are abbreviated on my transcript (Like Foundations of Biological Inq). Should I list it as Foundations of Biological Inquiry when I enter it in AMCAS or leave it abbreviated?
2. I saw that if a class has both lecture and lab we have to put "and lab" at the end of each course that fits that description. Is that true?

Quick few questions on course work-- (1) I took 20 credits worth of APs during high school, my official transcript bunches them together as 20 credits. The issue is how will I show that I have credit for certain things (like writing)? Also what would the classification be if I do bunch them together ("other")?(I have attached cropped screenshots of my official transcript as well as my unofficial transcript just so you can see my credits)

(2) For future courses, my schedule right now for senior year is tentative, will there be an issue if classes move around between now and then? I just want to show I am taking genetics (which won't change)

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 9.30.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 9.29.52 PM.png

Hi! In my personal statement, I talk about a pediatric hospice patient that I met while volunteering. If I mention a specific hospice organization, should I avoid stating the patient's exact age? I feel like saying their age helps with the story since "pediatric patient" could mean 4 years old vs. 17 years old. I wanted to make sure this isn't too revealing though, on the off-chance that someone reading the essay knew a child of that age being in this hospice. Thanks!

Do the letter titles get transmitted to the medical schools?

Also can they see the number of schools that you assigned each letter to?

Hi,
I was wondering how I should classify this work experience: I was an executive assistant in the Infectious Diseases division at the local school of medicine/hospital. I didn't see any patients and I wasn't in clinic, but I did access patient records, use software specific to medical records, work with physicians, etc. So I'm trying to decide between the two paid employment options. Does it even matter that much?
Also, how would I categorize teaching sex ed? I have it down as non med/clinical volunteering but I was wondering if it would count as medical maybe...
Thank you!

Last edited:
Given the delayed data submission this cycle, is submitting on May 28th necessary?
No apps will be transmitted to schools until June 7, but if you turn it in before then they will start their work on verifying it. Review and proofread it carefully because you can’t change it after submitting. Submit it when you are ready.

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question.

I'm not quite sure if I should include all the details about my shadowing experience for AMCAS. When I was shadowing a physician, I took notes for him/her and would even prepare charts prior to patient appointments. Upon reflection, I'm not sure if this would be considered an issue since I never received official training/licensing. I don't want this to reflect poorly on the doctor I shadowed either. Am I safe to include these details, or should I leave them out?

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies! This thread has been so informative
Apologies if this has been answered, but I wanted to get a clear answer so I don't mess this up!

My school is not an approved eTranscript partner with AMCAS. However, my school does have ties to Parchment and I can order eTranscripts. Given the changes this year which should I be doing?
1) Order eTranscript and have it sent to AMCAS
2) Order regular transcript and ask Registrar to email/fax per the instructions above

Thank you!

Hi, I have a question about inputting my AP credits and I apologize if this was asked before. I took AP Calculus ab, but my transcript makes no mention of the class but just lists transfer totals (I attached a screen shot). I was wondering how to input this into the courses?

A second question I have is about classifying the courses I took as past of an interdisciplinary honors program. Theses course were mainly humanities based. Since they are not BCPM, is it so vital for me to be very accurate with their classifications (I was just planning on classifying them all as English, although some contained lots of history, theology, philosophy, etc.)?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 5.43.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 5.43.09 PM.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 70
I apologize if this has already been asked; correct me if I am wrong but I can continue to add schools to apply to even after I submit my primary and it will not set me back in terms of app verification, correct? I am still trying to finish my school list but want to make sure I submit my app on Thursday, May 28

1)AMCAS AP Block to Course instructions
As the AMCAS guide clearly says,
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=38
For example, the University of Southern California awarded nine credits for three AP exams. On the official transcript, the credit appears as nine credits for AP exams, with no indication of the subject of the individual exams. On your AMCAS application, enter each exam as an individual course and distribute the credits appropriately, but do not exceed the total amount of credits earned.If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list course names, enter the subject area for which credit was earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name

2) Its not vital to be clear with classification, as they are solely used for GPA calculation of BCPM or AO

TIP: AMCAS Has Nothing to Do With Prerequisite Fulfillment
Prerequisites are not typically checked via the AMCAS application or during the admissions process. They are typically checked for fulfillment only after you have taken up an offer of acceptance at a school during the pre-matriculation phase of the admissions process. Here you will typically be required to have all official transcripts sent directly to the medical school where, among other things, they will be screened for fulfilling the specific prereq requirements
Thank you for your answers!

i'm applying this cycle but due to covid-19, i have mcat registered for 7/18.
would that be too late or impact my application?

thank you!

Hello! I understand that AMCAS considers an academic year as a total of 26 or so credits. I Transferred from CC to a 4 year institution with various credits. In the end when I finished my bachelors at my 4 year university I had obviously attained more. I have begun to fill my course work for my 4 year university course work and have many more to go under the year of "Senior". Do I just keep on adding in my course work under "Senior"? It ends up looking like a very long senior year. Thank you very much, I apologize if my question is confusing.

Hi gonnif, thank you for all your help! If I attended an unaccredited language school in another country for a semester, should I include that on AMCAS? It was not an official semester abroad because my school did not have any school-sponsored study abroad trips to that country.

Also, currently I am in a post-graduate religious program that combines classes with community service but is not accredited. Both the language school and the religious program have transcripts of my classes, but they are for in-house use more than anything. I don't think I need to list either of them, but I wanted to double-check!

I took an EMT course over a summer, but I did not receive college credit for it. Is there a place to put this on amcas? I know aacomas has a continuing education section to put it but I believe amcas doesn't have such a section?

Would Intro to Social Statistics be labelled as math or behavioral science? It was offered from the department of sociology, but was highly quantitative and involved a lab where we learned how to use Stata.

I have some last minute questions:
  • The AMCAS guide says to put classes you took after getting AP credit for that area as repeat. At my school, I took genchem 2, despite my school giving me credit for it. When I went to list it as a repeat, the application popped up something that said that I "must put in a grade for the original course." But I don't have a grade for the original course, it was an AP exam. What do I do? Should I still list it as repeat?Also, if it matters, the school just assigned the AP credit in a lump sum and didn't say which classes were which, but I was splitting them up manually and saying "AP Credit: Chemistry," for example.
  • I have a couple course names that are too long to fit into AMCAS. Do I cut them off or add abbreviations that weren't in the name on the official transcript?
  • For my honors thesis, which will be finished in 2 weeks (quarter system so haven't graduated yet), there was a placeholder class fall quarter where the transcript lists "N" for "continuing work." I should classify this as DG, right? I ask because the guide says to do this if there is no final grade, and "N" is not the final grade, but it is listed there.
Thanks in advance.

Hi! In my personal statement, I talk about a pediatric hospice patient that I met while volunteering. If I mention a specific hospice organization, should I avoid stating the patient's exact age? I feel like saying their age helps with the story since "pediatric patient" could mean 4 years old vs. 17 years old. I wanted to make sure this isn't too revealing though, on the off-chance that someone reading the essay knew a child of that age being in this hospice. Thanks!

Bump :)