*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:lol:Before it looked mad stressed and I felt sorry for it but now it just looks like it needs a nice cage in a psychiatric ward. I assume that avatar is supposed to look happy now, (right?) but it just looks creepy and weird.
lol I just assumed that was his current mental state.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s me pretending to be happy but really haggard AF waiting for this MCAT score to come out, so I look insane.
Ah, yes. I remember exactly how I felt then too:

c4jt321.png

The last little bit before you get your score is rough. Just try to remember that you worked your ass off to prepare as best as you could, you knew the material, you knew how to play the game, and because of all that, you did great on the MCAT.

Easier said than done, I know, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be pretty damn happy with your score when you get it!

Reactions: 1 user
The last little bit before you get your score is rough. Just try to remember that you worked your ass off to prepare as best as you could, you knew the material, you knew how to play the game, and because of all that, you did great on the MCAT.

Easier said than done, I know, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be pretty damn happy with your score when you get it!

Thanks. I’m used to it. In the Navy, we take our promotion exams in March or September and then don’t find out if we made the next rank for two months. And there, we don’t even know the exact day or even week that we’ll find out lol.

Hi all!
I'm told that my committee letter doesn't come out until mid August. Do I still have to get my secondary applications done it 2 weeks from receipt?

Hi all!
I'm told that my committee letter doesn't come out until mid August. Do I still have to get my secondary applications done it 2 weeks from receipt?

That's the same with my committee letter, but I was still recommended to get secondaries done asap because some schools will start reviewing your file without letters of rec.

That's the same with my committee letter, but I was still recommended to get secondaries done asap because some schools will start reviewing your file without letters of rec.
yup same here, these stinking committee letters always holding up the process

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed my committee chair and told her my secondaries were coming in, and my letter was uploaded that day.

Oh that's really nice of them! I wish my committee would be able to do that, but every year, the students get secondaries in July. And every year, they still upload their letters mid- to late-August... :unsure:

Appreciate the committee letter, but it's an interesting system.

GUYS JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER - Check your Status for each school until you are 100% SURE they are actually complete!! I finally finally did that today and realized that I never submitted my Pritzker secondary application even though it was done well over a week ago so... totally kicking myself in the foot right now :bang:

GUYS JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER - Check your Status for each school until you are 100% SURE they are actually complete!! I finally finally did that today and realized that I never submitted my Pritzker secondary application even though it was done well over a week ago so... totally kicking myself in the foot right now :bang:

It’s July 19. You’re fine.

Dude, yes. Spread the word.

What the hell is up with everyone on this website freaking out? It's not even August.

There are a lot of myths on this forum about timelines. Also the absurd neuroticism that is the average premed fuels that despite all the adcoms saying repeatedly that being complete by September is ideal.

There are a lot of myths on this forum about timelines. Also the absurd neuroticism that is the average premed fuels that despite all the adcoms saying repeatedly that being complete by September is ideal.
Shhhhhhhhhhh. The more you say things like that, the worse I feel about being neurotic. Just let the neuroticism flow free!

:p

On a totally unrelated note, I'm about to start a petition for us to get a straitjacket smiley. I really don't understand why there isn't one, I suspect it would be the most utilized smiley if it were available!

Hi all!
There are 2 reasons for the 2 week rule. The first is to get complete earlier so you can be reviewed for II's. This obviously doesn't matter if your letters won't be in for a month anyways (for the majority of schools). The 2nd reason I've heard is that adcoms will look at when you receieved a secondary vs when you submitted it and consider a delayed secondary submission as indication that you don't care much about the school. This reason would still be valid regardless of when your letters are coming IF it's true. But that's a big IF. It may just be a good old pre-med myth . I'm in the same boat with an August committee letter so I'm just working on secondaries at a pace that I can manage without the quality of my writing dropping. Sorry that's not very helpful as far as answering your question

Reactions: 2 users
There are 2 reasons for the 2 week rule. The first is to get complete earlier so you can be reviewed for II's. This obviously doesn't matter if your letters won't be in for a month anyways (for the majority of schools). The 2nd reason I've heard is that adcoms will look at when you receieved a secondary vs when you submitted it and consider a delayed secondary submission as indication that you don't care much about the school. This reason would still be valid regardless of when your letters are coming IF it's true. But that's a big IF. It may just be a good old pre-med myth . I'm in the same boat with an August committee letter so I'm just working on secondaries at a pace that I can manage without the quality of my writing dropping. Sorry that's not very helpful as far as answering your question

Time from receipt to completion as an indicator of your interest has been debunked by adcoms on this forum multiple times. Submitting the secondary and paying the fee is an indicator of your interest. The only school that might possibly care about such a thing is Georgetown, but that self felating circle jerk of a school also expects you to submit 5 specifically timed LOIs in order to get off the waitlist, so they aren’t representative of most schools.

Time from receipt to completion as an indicator of your interest has been debunked by adcoms on this forum multiple times. Submitting the secondary and paying the fee is an indicator of your interest. The only school that might possibly care about such a thing is Georgetown, but that self felating circle jerk of a school also expects you to submit 5 specifically timed LOIs in order to get off the waitlist, so they aren’t representative of most schools.
That's good to hear about the secondary myth. Also, glad I'm not applying to Georgetown :laugh:

OK fam, I'm complete at 16 schools. At this point I'm just waiting on AMCAS to process my app still to hit the OOS MD schools. My mind is a little blown that I submitted TMDSAS, AACOMAS and AMCAS all within a day or two of each other and TMDSAS transmitted almost immediately, AACOMAS was right behind, and AMCAS is like 3 weeks behind AACOMAS.

I like secondaries with lower character and word counts not because I can write less but because it makes me feel like there's a fighting chance the reviewers will actually read my responses.

Reactions: 4 users
I like secondaries with lower character and word counts not because I can write less but because it makes me feel like there's a fighting chance the reviewers will actually read my responses.

I feel like when I am forced to condense and write less my writing is better since I ended up getting rid of anything that could even slightly pass for BS and using only the solid parts.

I feel like when I am forced to condense and write less my writing is better since I ended up getting rid of anything that could even slightly pass for BS and using only the solid parts.

It's true. That's why I love Stephen King's writing advice: Kill your children. No matter how much you love a phrase, sentence, or paragraph, if it can be removed then it needs to go.

Reactions: 3 users
OK Stanford, it's all you now! You're the only one ruining my primary/secondary ratio!

God, I'm in single digits for days left until the score release. This is taking forever. I'm hoping having 3 exams this week will make the time go by faster.
If I was in your position I'd be rocking in a dark room somewhere. You must be so anxious. I hope the time passes really fast!

If I was in your position I'd be rocking in a dark room somewhere. You must be so anxious. I hope the time passes really fast!
Lol I’ve been in much more stressful situations. And the results of our advancement exams don’t come out for 2 months after we take them, and we don’t even know the exact day or week. So I’m used to waiting.

But somehow this seems more dramatic lol.

I'm waiting on my MCAT. My remaining 3 schools screen. I have a feeling I won't be getting one from UCSD though unless my score is 520+.
I think you're way underestimating your application! That said, I'm sure you absolutely rocked the MCAT.

I think you're way underestimating your application! That said, I'm sure you absolutely rocked the MCAT.

I dunno. My postbacc gpa on amcas was 4.0, but my cumulative was only 3.43. Not great. We’ll see about the MCAT. I felt great, but that could go either way. I’m just praying it’s good lol.

I dunno. My postbacc gpa on amcas was 4.0, but my cumulative was only 3.43. Not great. We’ll see about the MCAT. I felt great, but that could go either way. I’m just praying it’s good lol.
A 4.0 postbac GPA with your experiences and a halfway decent MCAT score will kill it in the application process!

Just out of morbid curiosity, I feel compelled to ask a question that popped into my mind when I saw that you were applying to JHU.... If you were to get accepted there, would you take that acceptance over USUHS? Or have you not thought that far ahead yet?:p

A 4.0 postbac GPA with your experiences and a halfway decent MCAT score will kill it in the application process!

Just out of morbid curiosity, I feel compelled to ask a question that popped into my mind when I saw that you were applying to JHU.... If you were to get accepted there, would you take that acceptance over USUHS? Or have you not thought that far ahead yet?:p

JHU is my number 2, but USUHS is number 1 for me for multiple reasons. But on the off chance I suddenly can’t commission, that’ll become my number 1 (not likely, God willing, since I got a commissioning physical to come to the postbacc).

JHU is my number 2, but USUHS is number 1 for me for multiple reasons. But on the off chance I suddenly can’t commission, that’ll become my number 1 (not likely, God willing, since I got a commissioning physical to come to the postbacc).
Gotcha. Something tells me you'll get into your first choice no problem :p

Yeah we definitely have an edge. Can’t relax and take it for granted though. What’s your number 1?
I mean, if we're talking absolutely crazy dreams, I'd love to get into JHU. The program is amazing (obviously) and they have a killer translational research program I'd love to work with. Plus as a bonus, my SO just got a job in Maryland.

More realistically, however, I'm a Washington state resident so an acceptance to UW would be amazing!

I'm seriously debating adding a few more schools to my primary just so I have something to work on and stop driving myself crazy refreshing my email every 3 seconds looking for an II :p

I'm seriously debating adding a few more schools to my primary just so I have something to work on and stop driving myself crazy refreshing my email every 3 seconds looking for an II :p

I hear you. I am done with classes this Thursday, and my mcat doesn’t come out until next Tuesday, and my other schools screen. Part of me wants to apply to another school just to have something to do lol.

I know that schools vary in how they evaluate primary and secondary apps but everytime an app asks "WHY MD/PhD" I'm tempted to just write "as I stated in my TWO personal statements and 10, 000 character research description and is affirmed by every single one of my PIs who you explicitly stated to obtain a letter of reference from..."

Reactions: 6 users
I know that schools vary in how they evaluate primary and secondary apps but everytime an app asks "WHY MD/PhD" I'm tempted to just write "as I stated in my TWO personal statements and 10, 000 character research description and is affirmed by every single one of my PIs who you explicitly stated to obtain a letter of reference from..."
So why MD/PhD again?