*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does anyone have any funny interview stories yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
We’ll see. I have a rep for being quite descriptive and animated when telling a story. It’s like listening to someone tell a campfire story apparently lol.
Lol something tells me you have some really interesting stories, so I suspect that they'd actually be fascinating to listen to in that manner.

At the info session prior to the interview, someone asked in the most iamverysmart voice, "So, wouldn't this curriculum interfere with the you ess em el ee step one?" I wanted to die from the cringe.

Reactions: 1 users
I do. The night before I flew across the country for my first interview, I was up late packing for a 6AM flight. At 11PM, I locked myself out of the house with only my underwear and a t-shirt on. I had to wake my neighbors up hoping I could call relatives or the police. Luckily, those neighbors had a key. I was instantly humbled.

Ok, another interview in the books, another story.

I interviewed later than the rest of our group this day. So I sat around for an hour break and just chatted with front office staff while waiting. Queue going to my first interviewer. I am sitting down, he approaches, directs me to a room, and closes the door while saying--

Interviewer: "I just got back from interviewing <other applicant>, she was full of energy, just full of it. It was a great interview, I have a feeling this will be just wonderful too. You go by <name>, right?"

Me: "Yes ma'am"
Inner monologue: "Oh ****, why are you like this"
Me: "Yes sir"

And so began my first interview of the day at this school.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok, another interview in the books, another story.

I interviewed later than the rest of our group this day. So I sat around for an hour break and just chatted with front office staff while waiting. Queue going to my first interviewer. I am sitting down, he approaches, directs me to a room, and closes the door while saying--

Interviewer: "I just got back from interviewing <other applicant>, she was full of energy, just full of it. It was a great interview, I have a feeling this will be just wonderful too. You go by <name>, right?"

Me: "Yes ma'am"
Inner monologue: "Oh ****, why are you like this"
Me: "Yes sir"

And so began my first interview of the day at this school.

That’s not too bad. That happens a lot. The “why are you like this” thing made me lol though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just can't wait for october 15th so I can decide whether I should withdraw from a few of my other schools. (interviewed at my top in state choice already that I know I'd go to over a good number of other schools on my list)

Assuming you hear on October 15. ;)

I just can't wait for october 15th so I can decide whether I should withdraw from a few of my other schools. (interviewed at my top in state choice already that I know I'd go to over a good number of other schools on my list)

According the school one way or another we'll hear back at 7am that day whether that means rejection or acceptance lol.

Nice. Apparently we are going to get a call from USUHS on October 15 giving us an acceptance or letting us know the committee hasn't met on our application yet.

Nice. Apparently we are going to get a call from USUHS on October 15 giving us an acceptance or letting us know the committee hasn't met on our application yet.

Definitely exciting to know so soon. Will make rest of the year easier if we're fortunate enough to gain acceptances.

I think I remember you saying usuhs was your top choice. If you get that acceptance do you plan to withdraw from the other places? Or do you think you are you gonna check them out anyways just to see?

Definitely exciting to know so soon. Will make rest of the year easier if we're fortunate enough to gain acceptances.

I think I remember you saying usuhs was your top choice. If you get that acceptance do you plan to withdraw from the other places? Or do you think you are you gonna check them out anyways just to see?
I'm definitely gonna check them out. You never know what will happen. USUHS is my top choice right now though. All of my interviews are before October 15 though, so I will be going on them all anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like a Texas applicant lol. My state schools be lovin me but everywhere else.... ehhhhh

I don't think I've ever felt as stressed as when I was trying to find an off-site interview in a city I'd never been to and on a bus system when I'm super unfamiliar with public transportation. And to top it off, I have a terrible sense of direction.:nailbiting:

I sincerely hope that was my one and only experience with an off-site interview. I don't know if I could handle going through that stress again!

I don't think I've ever felt as stressed as when I was trying to find an off-site interview in a city I'd never been to and on a bus system when I'm super unfamiliar with public transportation. And to top it off, I have a terrible sense of direction.:nailbiting:

I sincerely hope that was my one and only experience with an off-site interview. I don't know if I could handle going through that stress again!

Like you had to leave campus for your actual interview?

Like you had to leave campus for your actual interview?
Yep. 20 minute shuttle to one of their clinical sites (god bless the M4 who sat next to me on the bus and made sure I got off at the right stop), then wander down a side street and the office I was interviewing at was in a row house owned by the hospital.

I still break out into a cold sweat thinking about getting lost and never showing up for my interview!

Yep. 20 minute shuttle to one of their clinical sites (god bless the M4 who sat next to me on the bus and made sure I got off at the right stop), then wander down a side street and the office I was interviewing at was in a row house owned by the hospital.

I still break out into a cold sweat thinking about getting lost and never showing up for my interview!
Yikes. That’s rough.

Yikes. That’s rough.
(for context, the interview was in New York)

I'm sure it's not actually bad at all if you're from New York and have a rudimentary familiarity with the area, but coming from a rural town on the opposite coast with no public transit to speak of it added some stress to the day :p Luckily I found my way in time, thanks again to that lovely student who took pity on me.

(for context, the interview was in New York)

I'm sure it's not actually bad at all if you're from New York and have a rudimentary familiarity with the area, but coming from a rural town on the opposite coast with no public transit to speak of it added some stress to the day :p Luckily I found my way in time, thanks again to that lovely student who took pity on me.

Eh. It’s still one more thing to navigate. Glad it worked out for you.

Was this Einstein or Oakland? I feel for you man. That would make me super stressed out

Was this Einstein or Oakland? I feel for you man. That would make me super stressed out
Einstein. I honestly loved the school and the interview was super low-stress. Really the absolute worst part of the day was finding the dang interview site :p

You guys ever meet really cool people that you click with on your interview day and realize it's potentially the last time you'll ever see them again lol. It's like wow I hope you're my classmate one day

Reactions: 2 users
You guys ever meet really cool people that you click with on your interview day and realize it's potentially the last time you'll ever see them again lol. It's like wow I hope you're my classmate one day

Yep. At both interviews I’ve had so far.

All the time! met a few people two and three times but probably won’t see or talk to them again :(

Ah man. Both of mine will lol. That’s a big day for me!
Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you, although you certainly don't need it. I'm sure you'll hear great news!

Meanwhile so far the earliest I can expect to hear back is February :p

Lol I'll live. But thanks for commiserating, it does help to remember that other people are/have been in the same boat!

Yeah I mean this is my first time applying but when I applied for my postbacc/smp, I applied mid October and didn’t find out until May 29. And I didn’t know when it would come out so basically every week day after January involved obsessively checking my email and the message traffic (where the selection messages come through in the Navy). So I feel you!

Does anyone else feel totally drained? Just answering a lot of the same questions over and over again makes it feel like the things I say are losing their meaning :(

Does anyone else feel totally drained? Just answering a lot of the same questions over and over again makes it feel like the things I say are losing their meaning :(
Completely drained right now :eek: October 15th can’t come soon enough

Reactions: 3 users
Completely drained right now :eek: October 15th can’t come soon enough

I had an interview today at what is probably my favorite school so far and I think it went well but I'm just so tired that I can't even feel excited. Literally laying in bed at my room when I could be exploring the city a bit before leaving tomorrow. I'm not used to traveling so much in such a short amount of time.

I did two interviews and canceled the last. Just waiting for October 15. I’m a little tired, so trying to take this year as a rest before it gets insane again. I still need to get medically qualified. My file is with the review board, so just waiting on that. Can’t wait for all of that to be taken care of so I can just relax for 6-7 months.

Yeppp. Interviewed at my top choice yesterday and now just trying to find motivation for the rest of mine this month (especially those after Oct 15-granted I get news)

Well I'm glad to see it's not just me. I've been feeling less amd less excited about medical school each time but now at least I'm pretty sure it's just the exhaustion speaking.

Well I'm glad to see it's not just me. I've been feeling less amd less excited about medical school each time but now at least I'm pretty sure it's just the exhaustion speaking.
We just got to keep pushing till were in. Lol trust me the first acceptance the excitement will come back. Like woahh ill actually be a doctor.

We just got to keep pushing till were in. Lol trust me the first acceptance the excitement will come back. Like woahh ill actually be a doctor.

Agreed. We’ve been working for years just to get in. Once we get that first acceptance, it’ll be a whole new type of excitement because we’ll actually be in.