*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This whole waiting to hear back thing pretty much blows.... +pity+

I didn't plan anything for NaNoWriMo but I'm debating doing it anyway just to keep myself busy lol

I actually planned something, but I’m starting a podcast instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I finally heard back from one of the schools I interviewed at (my top choice post-interview, no less) and got waitlisted. Unfortunately they don't accept many people off the waitlist.

Definitely feeling kind of dejected about all the silence I'm getting this cycle. Luckily it's Taco Tuesday, and tacos and cheap beer make everything better!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I finally heard back from one of the schools I interviewed at (my top choice post-interview, no less) and got waitlisted. Unfortunately they don't accept many people off the waitlist.

Definitely feeling kind of dejected about all the silence I'm getting this cycle. Luckily it's Taco Tuesday, and tacos and cheap beer make everything better!

Sorry to hear that. I got WLed yesterday too. Keeping you in prayers. Good news is coming!

Sorry to hear that. I got WLed yesterday too. Keeping you in prayers. Good news is coming!
I'm sorry to hear that! Thank you for the well wishes, though! I'm hoping to get some good news eventually haha.

I know how much those waitlists sting, but hang in there! I have no doubt you'll get in. I think all of us have been betting on you from the beginning!

I'm sorry to hear that! Thank you for the well wishes, though! I'm hoping to get some good news eventually haha.

I know how much those waitlists sting, but hang in there! I have no doubt you'll get in. I think all of us have been betting on you from the beginning!

Thanks. I’m hoping to hear something today. I also have one more interview on Nov 27.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it weird to start having second thoughts after getting an acceptance? I'm hoping it's just the exhaustion speaking and a nice break will get rid of this feeling but I can't help but feel/think "what if I did something else instead"...

Reactions: 4 users
Is it weird to start having second thoughts after getting an acceptance? I'm hoping it's just the exhaustion speaking and a nice break will get rid of this feeling but I can't help but feel/think "what if I did something else instead"...

I'm just having imposter syndrome. Like somehow they're gonna realize I'm not good enough and tell me I can't start in the fall.

Congrats! I'm so excited for you! (Although not the least bit surprised, I knew it was just a matter of time!)

Who got back to you? (if you don't mind sharing)

USU. Yeah, it's nutso. I'm super happy. Still going to my other interview though just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just having imposter syndrome. Like somehow they're gonna realize I'm not good enough and tell me I can't start in the fall.

Congrats on the acceptance! I also felt that way at first but the feeling slowly went away as I got more comfortable at interviews.

Congratulations!!! I got accepted into one my top choices as well, and I have this thought every single day, multiple times. You're definitely not alone in that

Just FYI, this never stops.

I recently discovered traffic tickets from 2012 & 2013 were misdemeanors in my state and I had to update my top choice acceptance school. I was so scared. I still haven't told my family the news (that I'm accepted) even though the school said I was fine after the update. I've even had a nagging thought about getting a false positive on a drug test and not being given a second chance to re-test (which is absurd), lol.

My family, friends, and coworkers all know me as the chillest guy ever (which I honestly am) but, since this whole process takes so long, I just have these random thoughts every so often that are ridiculous. On a normal timetable, I'm all good. But giving this process so long to establish mini what-ifs is just not beneficial, man.

But anyways, when those thoughts take root - just relax, play the fake confidence, and move on. You're in! Congrats!

I'm slowly trying to prepare myself for the likelihood that I'll need to reapply, but definitely struggling with that. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm slowly trying to prepare myself for the likelihood that I'll need to reapply, but definitely struggling with that. Anyone else in the same boat?

It's only November 8. You still have plenty of time. Just remember, like 50% of accepted applicants only get 1 acceptance, so unless you've gotten all your Rs, you still have a shot!

Just FYI, this never stops.

I recently discovered traffic tickets from 2012 & 2013 were misdemeanors in my state and I had to update my top choice acceptance school. I was so scared. I still haven't told my family the news (that I'm accepted) even though the school said I was fine after the update. I've even had a nagging thought about getting a false positive on a drug test and not being given a second chance to re-test (which is absurd), lol.

My family, friends, and coworkers all know me as the chillest guy ever (which I honestly am) but, since this whole process takes so long, I just have these random thoughts every so often that are ridiculous. On a normal timetable, I'm all good. But giving this process so long to establish mini what-ifs is just not beneficial, man.

But anyways, when those thoughts take root - just relax, play the fake confidence, and move on. You're in! Congrats!

Oh God lol. I haven't gotten the unconditional acceptance yet, so I'm still super paranoid that they will tell me they don't have a seat for me after all or something. I'm trying not to let it cloud my happiness though.

Wow, first acceptance was from your top choice! That's fantastic! I'm so excited for you!

Thanks! It's not totally signed and sealed yet because of the way the process there works, but it's a great step in the right direction.

Congrats on the acceptance! I also felt that way at first but the feeling slowly went away as I got more comfortable at interviews.

Yeah, I feel totally fine in interviews. I just always have that little voice that says, "They're going to decide at the last minute to give your seat to someone better" which is ridiculous lol.

Congratulations!!! I got accepted into one my top choices as well, and I have this thought every single day, multiple times. You're definitely not alone in that

Congrats! Yeah, it's strong.

If there weren't sleeping kids in the room I'd be hollering. Congrats:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::clap::biglove:.

Thanks! Yeah, I left stats class to call my wife and my mom haha.

It's only November 8. You still have plenty of time. Just remember, like 50% of accepted applicants only get 1 acceptance, so unless you've gotten all your Rs, you still have a shot!
Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I'm definitely out of the running at one school, another one is VERY unlikely (they've already released all their acceptances for the date I interviewed, so either waitlist/reject there), and I tanked another interview (no idea what happened, but it was like everything that Goro lists as bad interview responses combined into one interview. I just choked :p ). So all that leaves me with one viable option left, so I think it's probably time to start preparing myself for a strong possibility of reapplying.

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I'm definitely out of the running at one school, another one is VERY unlikely (they've already released all their acceptances for the date I interviewed, so either waitlist/reject there), and I tanked another interview (no idea what happened, but it was like everything that Goro lists as bad interview responses combined into one interview. I just choked :p ). So all that leaves me with one viable option left, so I think it's probably time to start preparing myself for a strong possibility of reapplying.

Did you apply to any DO schools?

You should. If you're really only sitting on one possibility, you should throw in some DO schools. It's not even close to too late.
Unfortunately I'm pretty limited in terms of funds right now! I'm thinking if I end up needing to reapply I'll probably have to sit out next cycle to save up some money.

Fee waiver? Credit card? It only cost me $330 to apply to 4 DO schools.

If you have a credit card I say use it. I over-applied to 23 schools and am still paying it off. This is the only time I’ve put charges on my card when I didn’t have the money to pay off. It was worth it. If anything is worth it it’s getting into med school.

No, just primary. I'm not sure how many secondaries I'll even get. And one of them I may not even fill out. VCOM has mandatory lecture, which is a total turn off for me.
Yeah it was the secondary fees that got me with my applications. I was hemorrhaging money for those haha

Anyone working post-acceptance and losing all motivation at work? But at the same time I need to keep saving up money lmao

Reactions: 7 users
just had my 2nd interview last week so hoping to hear back before Thanksgiving so one-upping the II before Thanksgiving rule and an acceptance before Thanksgiving then flying out the end of the month to early Dec for 3 interviews in a week and a half. anybody else going broke from interviews?

just had my 2nd interview last week so hoping to hear back before Thanksgiving so one-upping the II before Thanksgiving rule and an acceptance before Thanksgiving then flying out the end of the month to early Dec for 3 interviews in a week and a half. anybody else going broke from interviews?

If it weren't for student hosting my budget would've been wrecked a while ago lol. I was able to stretch my pay checks and savings out enough to cover all my travel costs though because of how much student hosting saved me. Definitely gonna host students whenever i can once I'm in med school to pay it forward.

being a non-traditional with a decent income definitely helps with this part of the process. I can't imagine being a college student and figuring out how to afford everything.

I had saved up 5k for the app cycle since freshman yr of Uni. I have spent 80% of that. RIP in peace dreams of building new pc

Everyone says travel before starting med school.... how when my debt is collecting debt? I traveled enough for my interviews, does that count?

being a non-traditional with a decent income definitely helps with this part of the process. I can't imagine being a college student and figuring out how to afford everything.

For me it was live with my parents and save as much as possible from working full time over the summer. Had very little expenses that way except for occasionally going out with friends or paying for gas.

Yeah it’s hard affording this stuff while also taking care of my family, but at least I have a steady income and can (mostly) afford it. I worked full time in college though so I’d probably be able to afford it then too.

I work two jobs during the school year and one during the summer to pay for this process and wow, you know what's really painful? When the flight to your interview alone is worth almost four weeks of work. I guess I underestimated how expensive having flights closer to the holidays and for a Friday interview would be. Meanwhile all my friends doing traditional grad programs and job hunting keep bragging about how they get flown out and all their expenses paid for when they interview for any anything:shrug:

I work two jobs during the school year and one during the summer to pay for this process and wow, you know what's really painful? When the flight to your interview alone is worth almost four weeks of work. I guess I underestimated how expensive having flights closer to the holidays and for a Friday interview would be. Meanwhile all my friends doing traditional grad programs and job hunting keep bragging about how they get flown out and all their expenses paid for when they interview for any anything:shrug:

Yeah well at the end of it you’ll be making 4-5 times their salaries.

I feel your pain. I work 2 jobs during the semester and every time i buy a ticket for a flight i open my bank account and just shed a tear for it :p

Reactions: 3 users
I feel your pain. I work 2 jobs during the semester and every time i buy a ticket for a flight i open my bank account and just shed a tear for it :p

For a second I almost considered cancelling an interview to a school I’m really excited about because I saw the ticket price and I was like “this is a month’s worth of food”.

Reactions: 6 users
For a second I almost considered cancelling an interview to a school I’m really excited about because I saw the ticket price and I was like “this is a month’s worth of food”.
Acceptance>eating