*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I work two jobs during the school year and one during the summer to pay for this process and wow, you know what's really painful? When the flight to your interview alone is worth almost four weeks of work. I guess I underestimated how expensive having flights closer to the holidays and for a Friday interview would be. Meanwhile all my friends doing traditional grad programs and job hunting keep bragging about how they get flown out and all their expenses paid for when they interview for any anything:shrug:

yeah flights hit hard. i am flying from alaska and so far i've done round trips to tenneese, new england, going to hit up DC, New Orleans then detroit later this year. going to be a gold delta medallion by the end of the year just from interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah flights hit hard. i am flying from alaska and so far i've done round trips to tenneese, new england, going to hit up DC, New Orleans then detroit later this year. going to be a gold delta medallion by the end of the year just from interviews

How was etsu? I’m excited to actually get a second chance there. I’m happy I’m close enough to drive though. And I’m carpooling with a classmate.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was etsu? I’m excited to actually get a second chance there. I’m happy I’m close enough to drive though. And I’m carpooling with a classmate.

i really liked the school. very collaborative mindset. we walked into a first-year anatomy class and the students were willing to talk to us or show us what they were learning. i was able to talk to a bunch of veterans about their experience at ETSU and transitioning. only draw back is the first two years are not P/F.

i really liked the school. very collaborative mindset. we walked into a first-year anatomy class and the students were willing to talk to us or show us what they were learning. i was able to talk to a bunch of veterans about their experience at ETSU and transitioning. only draw back is the first two years are not P/F.

Huh. In the Quillen quirks book it lists several of the courses as P/F.

Anyone working post-acceptance and losing all motivation at work? But at the same time I need to keep saving up money lmao
Yes. I'm pretty much on my own until I receive loan money so I definitely have the motivation. I do feel like I could quit/be fired, though, and I/my fiance would be able to survive on what I have. I just wouldn't be comfortable and I would get bored.

I can't imagine trying to tackle all of the expenses of applying broadly without saving up for the cycle.

Yes. I'm pretty much on my own until I receive loan money so I definitely have the motivation. I do feel like I could quit/be fired, though, and I/my fiance would be able to survive on what I have. I just wouldn't be comfortable and I would get bored.

I can't imagine trying to tackle all of the expenses of applying broadly without saving up for the cycle.
Yeah I have to pull through until at least like April before I’ll be comfortable to quit lol, or at least go very part time. I couldn’t imagine not having either any money saved or help. I have a savings I’ve been building to take a trip after this and I had to dip into it for my interviews which hurt lmao

I started to have frequent mild hallucinations that my phone was rinning/vibrating. This occurs the most during M-F 9-5pm.

Reactions: 4 users
i have a yahoo phone app that sends me notices when i get a new email. i am always checking that.
i am hoping to join the group of people with acceptances this week, crossing fingers

Members don't see this ad :)
Happens to me all the time. It’s like my thigh vibrates without my phone vibrating. Weird

Used to happen to me so i stopped using vibrate on my phone and it went away after a while.

Accepted to my top choice today! So excited and happy to be joining this thread!

Reactions: 12 users
I thought u already got an acceptance to your #1 pick?

I've heard really good things about this school, and I'm excited to see it.

I'm probably going to just withdraw from all the DO schools though. I might see if I get an interview at LUCOM since it's a Christian school that's not too far away.

I've heard really good things about this school, and I'm excited to see it.

I'm probably going to just withdraw from all the DO schools though. I might see if I get an interview at LUCOM since it's a Christian school that's not too far away.

Idk bruh, id withdraw from LUCOM. It’s a “Christian” school but more Jonesboro than Loyola if ya know what I mean.

Reactions: 3 users
Idk bruh, id withdraw from LUCOM. It’s a “Christian” school but more Jonesboro than Loyola if ya know what I mean.

I haven’t even gotten a secondary. I’m not likely to submit it because I don’t want to spend more money. I will say that I have two friends who go or went there who enjoyed it. And one of them is definitely more Loyola.

I know someone at LUCOM who isn't even a Christian and feels that the environment is still very welcoming to them. I think the med school gets a bad rep from the undergraduate institution.

Reactions: 1 user
just to confirm, if i took 1 summer bio course (A) during application at the same institute where I did my undergrad, i will still have to send my updated transcript with just this 1 extra class again to my accepted schools?

just to confirm, if i took 1 summer bio course (A) during application at the same institute where I did my undergrad, i will still have to send my updated transcript with just this 1 extra class again to my accepted schools?

You’ll have to send your official transcripts once you’re accepted anyway. If they accept updates you can send them one as an update before then.

Accepted to Texas Tech and TCOM via prematch. I'm pretty happy to have gotten 4 acceptances out of 7 interviews.

El Paso + TCOM pre-match here!
Insanely happy to have relief after all the radio silence.

got another rejection today, but with an acceptance already its like "you have no power over me anymore"

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted to two schools yesterday and today!! Finally a MS0!!! :clap:

Reactions: 10 users
so far this cycle have or will interview in ... Tennessee, Connecticut, DC ish, New Orleans, Detriot and Anchorage. I think all I needed was a CA school or a west coast school and I will have completed my trip around the United States

Reactions: 1 user
It feels good to finally be done with interviews. Traveled more in the past 2 months than I have in my entire life. Good luck to everyone else still hitting the interview trail! I'm just excited to go home for the holidays and sleep knowing that i don't have anything to stress about for a bit :D

Maybe a silly question, but anyone here getting something at Black Friday that is med school related? I may be starting in January, so now is a good time for me to get stuff!
My siblings are nursing students and suggested I get a fitness/smart watch, which I think is a good idea even though obviously it'll be a couple years before rotations (although I've heard they're useful for sim labs too).
I know people get tablets for med school, but I'm honestly not sure what people use them for? I'm a pen-and-paper girl and I have a laptop that works well but if there are some important apps or something, maybe I'd get a cheaper tablet.
Anything else you guys can think of?

Maybe a silly question, but anyone here getting something at Black Friday that is med school related? I may be starting in January, so now is a good time for me to get stuff!
My siblings are nursing students and suggested I get a fitness/smart watch, which I think is a good idea even though obviously it'll be a couple years before rotations (although I've heard they're useful for sim labs too).
I know people get tablets for med school, but I'm honestly not sure what people use them for? I'm a pen-and-paper girl and I have a laptop that works well but if there are some important apps or something, maybe I'd get a cheaper tablet.
Anything else you guys can think of?
Be careful you don't waste money. Some schools provide laptops/tablets or both. Honestly, despite what other people here may say or various "what laptop should I get" threads, anything will do. All you really "need" to meet are web browsing, document editing, and basic office requirements. Just about any laptop can do these. I bought something decently powerful but with a metal build because I want it to last long and I want something that is easy to clean but durable. I didn't really buy this on "sale" per se, but rather during the mid-late winter earlier this year. A lot of the last-gen laptops (i.e. i7-7xxx vs. the current i7-8xxx) go on sales around that time for just as low or lower than the current holiday sales.

I am an avid outdoors person but I like to disconnect from technology so I'm staying away from smartwatches/fitness watches. They are great but I just know I won't use one! If I do get anything school-related, it will probably be a decent mid-high back chair. From my experience, these are great investments. I like to split study time between home/school/coffee shops and the higher-backed chairs help a ton with posture/comfort. Then again, I like to stay somewhat cheap so I'll likely just pick one up from IKEA instead of trying to get one this holiday.

Yeah I certainly wasn't going to get a completely new laptop or anything! I got my current laptop at the start of undergrad and it still works great. Good to know there isn't anything super special needed in that department.
That's interesting that some schools buy (or maybe it comes from tuition?) Their students tablets. As far as tablets go I was looking at like $60 or less, nothing like these fancy iPads or anything!

Edit: totally agree with you on IKEA. That's where my current desk and chair came from and they're great!

AACOMAS verified my app in two days. Everything about AACOMAS was easier than amcas lol.

I agree, AACOMAS is significantly better than AMCAS, however, TMDSAS was 10X better than AACOMAS, which makes it exactly 1,267 times better than AMCAS

I agree, AACOMAS is significantly better than AMCAS, however, TMDSAS was 10X better than AACOMAS, which makes it exactly 1,267 times better than AMCAS

I'm not a TX resident, which makes it 1267 times worse than AMCAS, since I'd just be throwing money in the garbage.

I woke up this morning and saw i had a missed call from Washington State. My half asleep brain thought it was Washington University and got super excited haha. Turned out it was Amazon telling me the mail room was closed so my package would be delivered next week...

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not a TX resident, which makes it 1267 times worse than AMCAS, since I'd just be throwing money in the garbage.

Military + your stats would have likely landed you a seat, even though we only accept 10% OOS. If the uniformed serviced program wasn't your first pick I definitely would have recommended you apply to TX schools.

Military + your stats would have likely landed you a seat, even though we only accept 10% OOS. If the uniformed serviced program wasn't your first pick I definitely would have recommended you apply to TX schools.

Given the changes coming to milmed, my preferences might change. I mostly didn't apply out of laziness and location. I love TX, but we have no family there. If I go to a civilian school, it needs to be near family.