**Official PASS 2023 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University at Buffalo invitations were sent out. Virtual interviews will be held on Thursday, August 25th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Alabama at Birmingham - email invite 7/15, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
Loma Linda University - invites sent 7/01, interview 08/05 - Offers made
University of California at Los Angeles - Invite sent 7/6; interview Zoom 7/12, 07/29
University of California at San Francisco - email invite 6/29, 7/14 interview - Spots filled
University of Southern California - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/29, 8/2, 8/4 - Offers made
University of the Pacific - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/28 - Offers made
University of Connecticut - 6/20, 7/7 email invite, 7/20, 7/21 interview - Spots filled
Nova Southeastern University - phone call 7/7, interviews 7/25, 7/26 - Spots filled
University of Florida - Invites sent 6/30, July 15th interview - Spots filled
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) - 5/31 email; 7/18 interview - Spots filled
University of Illinois at Chicago - 6/30 email, 7/13, 7/14 - Spots filled

Southern Illinois University - invite email 8/1; interview 8/12
Indiana University - 6/22 email; 7/11 interview - Spots filled
University of Iowa - invites sent 7/7, interview 7/14 and 7/15 - Spots filled
University of Louisville - 6/5 phone; 7/15, 7/18 interview - Spots filled
Louisiana State University - 6/17 email; 7/22 interview - Spots filled

University of Maryland - 07/11 email; 07/29 interview
Boston University - 6/8 email; 6/16, 7/14, 7/25, 7/28, 8/15 interviews - Offers made
Harvard University - 6/29 email, 7/15, 7/22 Interview - Spots filled
Tufts University - 6/16 email; 7/11, 7/12, 7/14 interviews - Spots filled
University of Detroit Mercy - 7/19 email, 7/25 virtual interview - Spots filled
University of Michigan - 7/14 email, 8/1 interview - Spots filled
University of Minnesota - 6/25 phone call; interviews 7/7, 7/8 - Spots filled
Saint Louis University - 6/10 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Missouri-Kansas City - 6/24 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Nebraska - 7/1 email, 7/21, 7/22 interview - Spots filled
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - 6/21, 6/24 email; 7/8, 7/11 interview - Spots filled

Columbia University - 8/9 email; interview 8/16, 17, 23, 24, 25
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - invite sent 7/6, interview 7/20, 7/21 - Spots filled

NYU Langone Puerto Rico - early August; interview sometime in September
New York University - email 07/15, 07/25 Zoom interview - Offers made
Stony Brook University - 6/15 email; 7/7 Zoom interview - Spots filled

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - 8/16 email; 8/25 virtual interview
University of North Carolina - 7/14 invites sent, 7/29 interview - Spots filled
Case Western Reserve University -
The Ohio State University - 6/21 Phone call; 7/14 and 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Oregon Health & Science University - email 7/7, 1st round interview 7/13, final round 7/27 - Spots filled
Albert Einstein Medical Center - 6/21 email, interview 7/14 - Spots filled
Temple University - 6/28, 7/11 email, 7/18 interview - Spots filled

University of Pennsylvania - invite 8/1; interview Zoom 8/8-12
University of Pittsburgh - 6/22 email; 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Medical University of South Carolina - 6/27 phone call, 7/14 interview - Spots filled

University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 07/20 email, 08/05 interview - Offers made
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 6/13 call/email, 7/12 interview - Spots filled
University of Texas at Houston - 6/1, 6/13 email, 7/15 interview - Spots filled

University of Texas at San Antonio - 7/15 email, 8/5 interview
Virginia Commonwealth University - email 7/7, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
University of Washington - 6/25 phone call, 7/8, 7/11 interviews - Spots filled

West Virginia University - email 07/20; 08/01 interview
Marquette University - 07/27 phone call; 08/12 interview
VA New York- 6/6 email; interview 7/8 - Spots filled

--

Can anyone update whether any of the listed programs have spots filled?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know when Columbia will offer acceptances? After all 5 days of interviews or prior to that?

Can people who got interviews and offers shares about their stats/experiences.

Just accepted an offer into UTHSC! I turned down an offer from Columbia. This was my second round through the gauntlet.
My stats/experiences include:
Active duty military for 4+ years (3 duty stations, 1 being overseas)
Top 1/3rd of my graduating dental class.
Research experience
AEGD
3/5 LOR from endodontists.
AAE member
>100 endodontic procedures
CE courses spanning OS, Prosth, Endo, and Operative Dentistry

Last cycle (2021) I applied to 14 programs, had 5 interviews, only attended 4 (due to program conflict) and was unable to land a spot ( I was waitlisted at one program)
This cycle (2022) I applied to 24 programs, 5 interviews, and landed 2 offers.

My resume between the 2 years did not change much (some additional CE courses, an additional military medal, more endo/clinical experience)
During my interview, I definitely grew a lot more. I was more concise, clear, and direct when answering questions. I made sure to be more adherent to what appeases the PD/interviewing faculty (Board certified, research, teaching, etc.)

At the interview phase, you roughly have a 20% shot at that point (40 interviewees for 6 spots/ 17 for 4) It comes down to if you can get along with the faculty (and to an extent the residents). Are you a fit for their specific program. When they give you time to ask questions, I specifically ask "What qualities are you looking for in a resident" Always use this time to ask questions, because this allows you to talk more about yourself. Some programs may not be a fit for you. It's like a date- both parties need to be on the same page.

Overall, these programs want a well-rounded applicant. They do not want someone who is arrogant, pompous, or selfish. They want a humble, respectful, team-player who can get along with others and have a passion to learn from their faculty. These programs do not care about you having a portfolio of prior cases you have done (no program ever asked me that) More so, I think if you do bring a portfolio it will actually hinder you and I know those who were not accepted because of that. Also, its a number's game: NYC VA has only 1 spot compared to Columbia/Penn which have 6/8 spots. Programs that are cheaper/paid are gonna be super more competitive then schools like USC/PENN (>~100k/yr)

Getting application materials in: I would make sure to have everything locked in by June 1st. Programs will start reviewing applicants by mid/end of June and you want to be considered before then. If you apply later you will be at a disadvantage and programs won't even really consider you even though the deadline is August 1st for most programs. In terms of taking the ADAT, I took it and did awful on it ( probably the most pointless test I've ever taken) Schools that do require it don't care about results. It's just another hurdle to prove to them that you want to go to their school ( I had interviews at UCLA and Columbia-both who required it)-to support my point.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.

Hopefully everyone gets in to their desired program.
If you want to discuss more just shoot me a DM as I am always happy to help! This thread has been super helpful!

Cheers!

Reactions: 17 users
First time applying. Applied to 20 schools, in total got 10 invites (some rolled in after my acceptance). Went to 4 interviews and got 2 offers, accepted one and cancelled the rest. Stats as follows:

5 years GP practice including GPR
No rank (P/F school, but probably just top 50% if I had to guess, no OKU or anything)
ADAT 550
Dental school research (remains unpublished lol)
AAE Meeting in April 2022

Happy to answer further questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
University of Alabama at Birmingham - email invite 7/15, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
Loma Linda University - invites sent 7/01, interview 08/05 - Offers made
University of California at Los Angeles - Invite sent 7/6; interview Zoom 7/12, 07/29
University of California at San Francisco - email invite 6/29, 7/14 interview - Spots filled
University of Southern California - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/29, 8/2, 8/4 - Offers made
University of the Pacific - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/28 - Offers made
University of Connecticut - 6/20, 7/7 email invite, 7/20, 7/21 interview - Spots filled
Nova Southeastern University - phone call 7/7, interviews 7/25, 7/26 - Spots filled
University of Florida - Invites sent 6/30, July 15th interview - Spots filled
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) - 5/31 email; 7/18 interview - Spots filled
University of Illinois at Chicago - 6/30 email, 7/13, 7/14 - Spots filled

Southern Illinois University - invite email 8/1; interview 8/12
Indiana University - 6/22 email; 7/11 interview - Spots filled
University of Iowa - invites sent 7/7, interview 7/14 and 7/15 - Spots filled
University of Louisville - 6/5 phone; 7/15, 7/18 interview - Spots filled
Louisiana State University - 6/17 email; 7/22 interview - Spots filled

University of Maryland - 07/11 email; 07/29 interview
Boston University - 6/8 email; 6/16, 7/14, 7/25, 7/28, 8/15 interviews - Offers made
Harvard University - 6/29 email, 7/15, 7/22 Interview - Spots filled
Tufts University - 6/16 email; 7/11, 7/12, 7/14 interviews - Spots filled
University of Detroit Mercy - 7/19 email, 7/25 virtual interview - Spots filled
University of Michigan - 7/14 email, 8/1 interview - Spots filled
University of Minnesota - 6/25 phone call; interviews 7/7, 7/8 - Spots filled
Saint Louis University - 6/10 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Missouri-Kansas City - 6/24 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Nebraska - 7/1 email, 7/21, 7/22 interview - Spots filled
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - 6/21, 6/24 email; 7/8, 7/11 interview - Spots filled

Columbia University - 8/9 email; interview 8/16, 17, 23, 24, 25
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - invite sent 7/6, interview 7/20, 7/21 - Spots filled

NYU Langone Puerto Rico - early August; interview sometime in September
New York University - email 07/15, 07/25 Zoom interview - Offers made
Stony Brook University - 6/15 email; 7/7 Zoom interview - Spots filled

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - 8/16 email; 8/25 virtual interview
University of North Carolina - 7/14 invites sent, 7/29 interview - Spots filled
Case Western Reserve University -
The Ohio State University - 6/21 Phone call; 7/14 and 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Oregon Health & Science University - email 7/7, 1st round interview 7/13, final round 7/27 - Spots filled
Albert Einstein Medical Center - 6/21 email, interview 7/14 - Spots filled
Temple University - 6/28, 7/11 email, 7/18 interview - Spots filled

University of Pennsylvania - invite 8/1; interview Zoom 8/8-12
University of Pittsburgh - 6/22 email; 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Medical University of South Carolina - 6/27 phone call, 7/14 interview - Spots filled

University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 07/20 email, 08/05 interview - Offers made
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 6/13 call/email, 7/12 interview - Spots filled
University of Texas at Houston - 6/1, 6/13 email, 7/15 interview - Spots filled

University of Texas at San Antonio - 7/15 email, 8/5 interview
Virginia Commonwealth University - email 7/7, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
University of Washington - 6/25 phone call, 7/8, 7/11 interviews - Spots filled

West Virginia University - email 07/20; 08/01 interview
Marquette University - 07/27 phone call; 08/12 interview
VA New York- 6/6 email; interview 7/8 - Spots filled

--

Can anyone update whether any of the listed programs have spots filled?
I emailed the advanced standard and one of the faculty at Buffalo (this last Tuesday 8/16) and both confirmed they did not send any interviews yet and they will send within the next 1-2 weeks ! I contacted them because I heard they sent for 8/25. ??? very very confused! anyone here to confirm what is going on..

Last edited:
so for programs which have multiple days of interview , would you guys think the people who choose an early date they might have better chance or what's the odd the program like Columbia fill out all the spots even before finishing all days of interview?
thank you

did you get one ? if you do not mind sharing this with us ? I am just trying to get a clarification ....thank you

I received one yes, but I'll be turning it down since I already accepted an offer earlier in the cycle.

I emailed the advanced standard and one of the faculty at Buffalo (this last Tuesday 8/16) and both confirmed they did not send any interviews yet and they will send within the next 1-2 weeks ! I contacted them because I heard they sent for 8/25. ??? very very confused! anyone here to confirm what is going on..
I'd recommend just being patient and waiting to hear from these schools, not emailing them frequently. I never emailed any of the schools I applied to, I just sat back and waited to see if they were interested in me. They have lots of work to do sifting through hundreds of applications and I don't want to give them unnessary work.

People get invited and some inevitably drop out leaving more invitations for others.

Just take a breath and relax.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend just being patient and waiting to hear from these schools, not emailing them frequently. I never emailed any of the schools I applied to, I just sat back and waited to see if they were interested in me. They have lots of work to do sifting through hundreds of applications and I don't want to give them unnessary work.

People get invited and some inevitably drop out leaving more invitations for others.

Just take a breath and relax.
I will. thank you. they might sent more. thanks again.

Just accepted an offer into UTHSC! I turned down an offer from Columbia. This was my second round through the gauntlet.
My stats/experiences include:
Active duty military for 4+ years (3 duty stations, 1 being overseas)
Top 1/3rd of my graduating dental class.
Research experience
AEGD
3/5 LOR from endodontists.
AAE member
>100 endodontic procedures
CE courses spanning OS, Prosth, Endo, and Operative Dentistry

Last cycle (2021) I applied to 14 programs, had 5 interviews, only attended 4 (due to program conflict) and was unable to land a spot ( I was waitlisted at one program)
This cycle (2022) I applied to 24 programs, 5 interviews, and landed 2 offers.

My resume between the 2 years did not change much (some additional CE courses, an additional military medal, more endo/clinical experience)
During my interview, I definitely grew a lot more. I was more concise, clear, and direct when answering questions. I made sure to be more adherent to what appeases the PD/interviewing faculty (Board certified, research, teaching, etc.)

At the interview phase, you roughly have a 20% shot at that point (40 interviewees for 6 spots/ 17 for 4) It comes down to if you can get along with the faculty (and to an extent the residents). Are you a fit for their specific program. When they give you time to ask questions, I specifically ask "What qualities are you looking for in a resident" Always use this time to ask questions, because this allows you to talk more about yourself. Some programs may not be a fit for you. It's like a date- both parties need to be on the same page.

Overall, these programs want a well-rounded applicant. They do not want someone who is arrogant, pompous, or selfish. They want a humble, respectful, team-player who can get along with others and have a passion to learn from their faculty. These programs do not care about you having a portfolio of prior cases you have done (no program ever asked me that) More so, I think if you do bring a portfolio it will actually hinder you and I know those who were not accepted because of that. Also, its a number's game: NYC VA has only 1 spot compared to Columbia/Penn which have 6/8 spots. Programs that are cheaper/paid are gonna be super more competitive then schools like USC/PENN (>~100k/yr)

Getting application materials in: I would make sure to have everything locked in by June 1st. Programs will start reviewing applicants by mid/end of June and you want to be considered before then. If you apply later you will be at a disadvantage and programs won't even really consider you even though the deadline is August 1st for most programs. In terms of taking the ADAT, I took it and did awful on it ( probably the most pointless test I've ever taken) Schools that do require it don't care about results. It's just another hurdle to prove to them that you want to go to their school ( I had interviews at UCLA and Columbia-both who required it)-to support my point.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.

Hopefully everyone gets in to their desired program.
If you want to discuss more just shoot me a DM as I am always happy to help! This thread has been super helpful!

Cheers!
Hey You heard from Columbia on Wednesday?!

Hey everyone, I thought to ask this here since you’re way ahead of the other residencies in the cycle. I’m having a hard time figuring out whether GPA is a hard cutoff. Like, if you dont have a good gpa its over and you should not even bother applying. It’s certainly difficult to compete with US gpas coming from abroad, as foreign schools do not give high grades.

Hey everyone, I thought to ask this here since you’re way ahead of the other residencies in the cycle. I’m having a hard time figuring out whether GPA is a hard cutoff. Like, if you dont have a good gpa its over and you should not even bother applying. It’s certainly difficult to compete with US gpas coming from abroad, as foreign schools do not give high grades.
More than a great GPA your application package is made out of several other contents that weighs all together in order to make you a good candidate. Your volunteer work, your CV, you exposure to relevant research subjects, your letters of recommendation, your intent letter, everything counts. The GPA is only part of the whole. Focus on what your strengths are, look for Endodontists who are Board Certified to offer you good recommendations and best of luck!

More than a great GPA your application package is made out of several other contents that weighs all together in order to make you a good candidate. Your volunteer work, your CV, you exposure to relevant research subjects, your letters of recommendation, your intent letter, everything counts. The GPA is only part of the whole. Focus on what your strengths are, look for Endodontists who are Board Certified to offer you good recommendations and best of luck!
Does anyone know if a high gpa in masters will get you through minimum gpa requirements if your undergrad was low?

Does anyone know if a high gpa in masters will get you through minimum gpa requirements if your undergrad was low?
It might help. I believe they will see the GPAs differently as one for undergrad and another for your masters.

Did they rank you? Grades don't mean much without a ranking going along with it.

Hi! D4 here. I'm planning to apply next cycle. I decided very recently that I want to try to specialize. I've been interested since D2 year when I took my first endo class but I like other areas of dentistry as well so never fully made the decision. However I think long term I'll regret not going for it. I have decent stats, I'm in the top 1/3 of my class. I'm applying to AEGDs too. Any tips on what to do from now-May to improve my chances? Also, is there any document where I can find info on different programs or should I just go to each website? Thanks in advance!

Hi! D4 here. I'm planning to apply next cycle. I decided very recently that I want to try to specialize. I've been interested since D2 year when I took my first endo class but I like other areas of dentistry as well so never fully made the decision. However I think long term I'll regret not going for it. I have decent stats, I'm in the top 1/3 of my class. I'm applying to AEGDs too. Any tips on what to do from now-May to improve my chances? Also, is there any document where I can find info on different programs or should I just go to each website? Thanks in advance!
My GPR director told me this is what specialty programs look for:

1. GPA/class ranking
2. Work experience
3. Research
4. Personal statement/Extracurricular/Letters of Recommendation

I would recommend that as soon as your enter your AEGD residency, try to build up connections with the Grad Endo department and start a research project with them. Attend the AAE meetings. Get good letters of recommendation from your AEGD director and Endo faculty. Submit on the first day when the application cycle opens up--the earlier, the better (around 5/15/2023). Taking the ADAT is optional, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it since you already have a solid GPA/ranking. I would only consider it if my ranking was low or it was a Pass/Fail dental school.

Reactions: 2 users

1. GPA/class ranking
2. Work experience
3. Research

I would recommend that as soon as your enter your AEGD residency, try to build up connections with the Grad Endo department and start a research project with them. Attend the AAE meetings. Get good letters of recommendation from your AEGD director and Endo faculty. Submit on the first day when the application cycle opens up--the earlier, the better (around 5/15/2023). Taking the ADAT is optional, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it since you already have a solid GPA/ranking. I would only consider it if my ranking was low or it was a Pass/Fail dental school.

Some schools require the ADAT so make sure you know what schools you want to apply to. Some schools like Ohio application will open early April to watch out for that too

1. GPA/class ranking
2. Work experience
3. Research

I would like to add something to this, take ADAT I think it opens in March-August. Some schools require it

CASSchoolPages
This is ADEA website, you can find all programs, and there will be the program's official website.
But make sure that same info are on ADEA website and the program website to be safe.

would you mind sharing your resume or experience? for better opportunities for me next cycle ...

Sure. I was in the top 10 of my class and went to a competitive GPR residency. I trained at a level 1 trauma hospital and earned doctor of the year for the OMFS and dental department at that hospital. There we would treat patients with dentoalveolar issues on the clinic floor, but would take facial trauma call in the ED with the oral surgery residents. We would suture up facial lacerations from stabbings, gunshot wounds, and even suture back torn ears, noses, lips from vicious dog attacks and bad car accidents... It was a wild, unforgettable ride.

Today I work at several private practices where I welcome referrals from a pool of generalists and specialists for surgical and endodontic treatment. My schedule consists mostly of surgery, like ridge augmentation and difficult third molar impactions and implants, but I do a fair bit of endodontic cases like initial treatments and retreatments. I'm a bit of a go-getter and not shy to tackle difficult cases that other docs refer out--even if it takes me longer to do the case and I become less productive. I'm fortunate to be able to serve the underserved at one of my locations and provide care on the other spectrum at the other offices. Working on the low income side opens a lot of clinical opportunities for yourself to grow, since a lot of these patients have no other options you become the one stop shop for them. Of course there's a hit to your income potential but you can look at it as an investment for the future, and the patient population is generally very thankful.

I'm a member of the AAE and AAID. There's a lot of good clinical resources for yourself through those orgs, so I'd recommend it. Going to their meetings can really open your eyes to what's out there in the field and you can bring those with you to the interviews to talk about. I applied two consecutive years in a row and had 22 interview invites.

I met some amazing applicants along the way. The field is rich of passionate and able practitioners, and its applicants are no exception. Many have served our country for years, others have made fantastic contributions in academia, and others have made a large impact in their local communities. Find your passion and let it shine through your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sure. I was in the top 10 of my class and went to one of the most competitive GPR residencies in the country. I trained at a level 1 trauma hospital and earned doctor of the year for the OMFS and dental department at that hospital. Today I work at several private practices where I welcome referrals from a pool of generalists and specialists for surgical and endodontic treatment. My schedule consists mostly of surgery, like ridge augmentation and difficult third molar impactions and implants, but I do a fair bit of endodontic cases like initial treatments and retreatments. I'm a bit of a go-getter and am not shy to tackle difficult cases that other docs refer out, and so quite a few of my daily cases are referrals from other docs in the offices I work at and a few from outside doctors. I'm fortunate to be able to serve the underserved at one of my locations and also provide care on the other spectrum--famous actors, news anchors, federal judges and the like at the other offices.

I am a member of the AAE and AAID, attending the most recent AAE meeting. I had strong letters of recommendation. A few from my hospital (one from the program director, one from a clinical director, one from an attending endodontist) and one from my dental school (group practice leader). I did not take the ADAT since I felt my grades and rank showed my clinical and academic potential. I applied two consecutive years in a row and had 22 interview invites.

I met some amazing applicants along the way. The field is rich of passionate and able practitioners, and its applicants are no exception. Many have served our country for years, others have made fantastic contributions in academia, and others have made a large impact in their local communities. Find your passion and let it shine on your application.
LOLLLL. You also foster orphaned puppies in your free time right?

(Sorry it reads like satire, but in case it's not... with a resume like that, how did it take you two years?)

Last edited:
LOLLLL. Do you also foster orphaned puppies in your free time right?

(Sorry it reads like satire, but in case it's not... with a resume like that, how did it take you two years?)
Im also sorry but i laughed so hard 😂 sometimes i read similar posts and i have to skip to the end to see if they’re kidding.
But otherwise, very impressive and good for them obviously

Sure. I was in the top 10 of my class and went to one of the most competitive GPR residencies in the country. I trained at a level 1 trauma hospital and earned doctor of the year for the OMFS and dental department at that hospital. Today I work at several private practices where I welcome referrals from a pool of generalists and specialists for surgical and endodontic treatment. My schedule consists mostly of surgery, like ridge augmentation and difficult third molar impactions and implants, but I do a fair bit of endodontic cases like initial treatments and retreatments. I'm a bit of a go-getter and am not shy to tackle difficult cases that other docs refer out, and so quite a few of my daily cases are referrals from other docs in the offices I work at and a few from outside doctors. I'm fortunate to be able to serve the underserved at one of my locations and also provide care on the other spectrum--famous actors, news anchors, federal judges and the like at the other offices.

I am a member of the AAE and AAID, attending the most recent AAE meeting. I had strong letters of recommendation. A few from my hospital (one from the program director, one from a clinical director, one from an attending endodontist) and one from my dental school (group practice leader). I did not take the ADAT since I felt my grades and rank showed my clinical and academic potential. I applied two consecutive years in a row and had 22 interview invites.

I met some amazing applicants along the way. The field is rich of passionate and able practitioners, and its applicants are no exception. Many have served our country for years, others have made fantastic contributions in academia, and others have made a large impact in their local communities. Find your passion and let it shine on your application.
many congratulations! so one year GPR and how many years of GP practice ? I assumed a lot since you are at this level of GP practice :)

LOLLLL. Do you also foster orphaned puppies in your free time right?

It actually took quite a few interviews for me to get in. I don't really talk about everything I posted about, I only elaborated if the topic came up. I think I was more reserved in my initial year of interviews and relied more on what other doctors wrote about me, but the second time around I tried harder to sell myself. Luckily I got in pretty early on the second time around. Having another year of experience definitely helped since I had more interesting cases to talk about, and there's also more cool JOE cases to discuss.

I feel like once you get an interview, there's generally a more even playing field for everyone and it becomes more to see if you're a right fit for the program. I noticed that people who had known the program directors and the residents did well in getting picked up, so networking does help.

Last edited:
It actually took quite a few interviews for me to get in. I don't really talk about everything I posted about, I only elaborated if the topic came up. I think I was more reserved in my initial year of interviews and relied more on what other doctors wrote about me, but the second time around I tried harder to sell myself. Luckily I got in pretty early on the second time around. Having another year of experience definitely helped since I had more interesting cases to talk about, and there's also more cool JOE cases to discuss.

I feel like once you get an interview, there's generally a more even playing field for everyone and it becomes more to see if you're a right fit for the program. I noticed that people who had known the program directors and the residents did well in getting picked up, so networking does help.
That's awesome! I would say that networking is even more crucial if your stats are mediocre (like mine).
I attribute going to the AAE Meeting this year to me getting in. Many of my interview invites were from PDs that I met there. Also being generally sociable there can have random serendipitous benefits. Example, I was in a random drink line and struck up a conversation with the endodontist behind me, and he just happened to be old co-residents with a PD and texted them my name and I ended up getting an interview there.

Reactions: 5 users

But do they really talk about the cases you treated? I have never heard of that!
They only ask about yourself and where do you practice and these stuff..

But do they really talk about the cases you treated? I have never heard of that!
They only ask about yourself and where do you practice and these stuff..
Not specifically but there were some that asked if I used a CBCT for my cases, some asked what sealers or what rotary system I used, or how I'd perform my apicos. Sometimes I'd bring up an interesting case like an autotransplantion that I did and reference some other cases in the JOE that were similar.

I remember Tennessee last year asked to see some of my cases but that was the only interview that ever did that.

Not specifically but there were some that asked if I used a CBCT for my cases, some asked what sealers or what rotary system I used, or how I'd perform my apicos. Sometimes I'd bring up an interesting case like an autotransplantion that I did and reference some other cases in the JOE that were similar.

I remember Tennessee last year asked to see some of my cases but that was the only interview that ever did that.
how many years of GP practice you have ? interesting to see how some schools prefer fresh graduates and some prefer more than 5 years of experience. Each year is different and depends on the program director too.

CASSchoolPages
This is ADEA website, you can find all programs, and there will be the program's official website.
But make sure that same info are on ADEA website and the program website to be safe.
I don't see Nova Southeastern University listed there. Is there any reason other than they don't participate in PASS?

I don't see Nova Southeastern University listed there. Is there any reason other than they don't participate in PASS?
I believe it is just because they don't participate in PASS.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe it is just because they don't participate in PASS.
Yes. It's very common. I learned that UCONN and University of Michigan are not participants of PASS too. That's why it's so laborious all the application process. It takes a lot of time and effort. But we continue moving. Forward. Always!

any updates on columbia? Anyone hear of people getting offers?

Being in alternate list after you interviewed means that next year when we apply we would get an interview?? or its not guaranteed?
Has someone experienced this before?

Being in alternate list after you interviewed means that next year when we apply we would get an interview?? or its not guaranteed?
Has someone experienced this before?
No guarantees. I suggest you improve your application/interview skills. Applying to the same program with no changes in your application is a good way to be ignored.