**Official PASS 2023 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any updates on BU? Have they sent offers for the 2-year and 3-year programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates on USC? Have they sent out offers yet?

Any updates on BU? Have they sent offers for the 2-year and 3-year programs?
I emailed Ms. Blackmer Friday and this morning she says “Dr. Chogle was out on vacation and has not made his final decisions yet. He returns today so I am hopeful he will do that today. It’s been an extremely hard decision this year.”

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Ms. Blackmer Friday and this morning she says “Dr. Chogle was out on vacation and has not made his final decisions yet. He returns today so I am hopeful he will do that today. It’s been an extremely hard decision this year.”
Thanks and good luck 🤞🏽

Bu has sent out at least some acceptances. I know one person who was offered 2 weeks ago

Reactions: 1 user
I just got today an interview invitation from BU, in person interview August 15th. I will decline it.

Hello all,

This was my first application cycle and I have vastly underestimated how crazy it is. I’m looking for any advice or pearls of wisdom. I went into this cycle thinking I would have multiple interviews and I would get in, it was a matter of where.

I graduated Cum Laude (3.43) in 2017. Class rank on the lower side because so many brilliant people ahead of me. 5 years US Navy Dentistry including AEGD. Close to 100 Endodontic cases in the last two years including about 15 Retreatments. GRE score in the 83/80/67 percentile for Verbal, Writing, and Math. I know my 4 evaluators all had strong, positive things to say.

I am waiting anxiously to hear from BU and USC as those are the only 2 (out of 12) programs that offered me an interview. So there is a sliver of hope. I actually emphasized with BU I wanted their 36 month MSD program.

Aside from ADAT, I’m looking what you all think are reasonable ways to improve. If not selected I will have to take another 2 year orders in the Navy so I won’t be able to apply again until May 2024. I did AAE virtually ‘21 and ‘22 because the command would not allow me to travel.

The only thing I can see as what F*** me over was I had no idea programs wanted complete applications by June 1. I thought a July 1 deadline meant “as long as your application is in by July 1, it will be given a fair and equal consideration.” Otherwise I would have been more on top of my evaluators and the Office of the Dean to not dilly dally with submitting my evaluations. My application was “complete” when the IEF was submitted on June 22.

Sorry for the long post but I really underestimated the process or even over estimated my qualifications. I thought an AEGD, GRE, and 5 years military and 100 cases would be what programs are looking for. Thank you all for any words of wisdom on how I could improve. Unless BU or USC have good news for me (which I doubt at this point) I’ll be applying again in 2024.
You should be able to get one year orders if you take a operational/ greenside billet, right? I'm trying to think of a situation where your commitment ends in 2024...

In the spirit of reassurance and encouragement: I'm a Navy guy, did a Credentialing Tour, did about half as many cases as you, have an average class rank, but I applied to 20 schools (including non-pass schools) and had everything submitted within about 2 week. I got 6 invites and was incredibly lucky to land a spot this year. If you haven't done it already, make sure to do the endo short-course offered each year and the Pathways to the Pulp correspondence course. My command did not let me take TAD for the AAE, so I took leave to go to AZ and I found it incredibly valuable being there present and networking. Also at the AAE it was good to talk with the residents to see what schools favor prior military.

Good luck to you, hopefully you find a one-year billet, but whenever you apply I think you'll have a ton of interview invitations and then you just need one yes 🤞🤞

You should be able to get one year orders if you take a operational/ greenside billet, right? I'm trying to think of a situation where your commitment ends in 2024...

In the spirit of reassurance and encouragement: I'm a Navy guy, did a Credentialing Tour, did about half as many cases as you, have an average class rank, but I applied to 20 schools (including non-pass schools) and had everything submitted within about 2 week. I got 6 invites and was incredibly lucky to land a spot this year. If you haven't done it already, make sure to do the endo short-course offered each year and the Pathways to the Pulp correspondence course. My command did not let me take TAD for the AAE, so I took leave to go to AZ and I found it incredibly valuable being there present and networking. Also at the AAE it was good to talk with the residents to see what schools favor prior military.

Good luck to you, hopefully you find a one-year billet, but whenever you apply I think you'll have a ton of interview invitations and then you just need one yes 🤞🤞
omg!!!!! I’m so glad to hear that you got accepted!!!!! I’m so happy for you, felicidades!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I probably could do one year green side but I don’t have any Endodontic mentors any more so I feel like my evaluators won’t have much to say. If I do two year orders and apply in 2024, I’ll have hopefully several months working with Endo docs at one of the Dental Battalions.

I’ve done Short course before and correspondence course. Actually I’m an Alternate for NPDS DUINS.

Again the theme seems to be I really underestimated what “apply early” meant. If I truly knew that, I would have requested my evaluators and my Dean’s office to have things done by May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I thought they were done already.. should I keep hoping then? 🤣
I think so! I mean the email said “the department is having in person interviews on august 15th”

Meaning like, many interviews.

Also a friend 2 cycles ago told me Puerto Rico invited her for Interview in September

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I thought they were done already.. should I keep hoping then? 🤣
Same, not sure if I should keep hoping or that they already determined “no, not him. Need to interview a new bunch.”

Same, not sure if I should keep hoping or that they already determined “no, not him. Need to interview a new bunch.”
I believe that what they think of me, no not this applicant, let's find someone else :lol:

anyone here applied to Buffalo ? any update ??... I am trying to contact the department again and get some update...

Thanks for the encouragement. I probably could do one year green side but I don’t have any Endodontic mentors any more so I feel like my evaluators won’t have much to say. If I do two year orders and apply in 2024, I’ll have hopefully several months working with Endo docs at one of the Dental Battalions.

I’ve done Short course before and correspondence course. Actually I’m an Alternate for NPDS DUINS.

Again the theme seems to be I really underestimated what “apply early” meant. If I truly knew that, I would have requested my evaluators and my Dean’s office to have things done by May.
Yeah, I don't know your situation completely but I had to PCS away from all of my endo mentors a year before I applied and they were gracious enough to write me letters even though we hadn't worked together for a while. Choosing were to take orders is a personal complex decision, but if you're thinking about applying a year later for better LOR's, I'd say the rest of your application should carry you at that point and to consider taking one year orders. Food for thought 🙂

anyone here applied to Buffalo ? any update ??... I am trying to contact the department again and get some update...
I did but no info, I've been told that they started reviewing on Aug 1st.

Hi guys ,
anyone knows Columbia has sent interviews? Or they are already done

What’s going on with BU? Some are saying they know people who were given offers a while ago. When I went on July 14, the PD said “we will let you know in a week or two.” A friend I know interviewed on July 28, PD said “we should make decisions next week.” And now it sounds like they are doing another interview on Aug 15. I don’t know how to make heads or tails of this. Like if they did not already make offers to my friend and me, but are continuing to interview, are we SOL? Or is it possible we are in their acceptance list and are trying to fill the last few spots? But then why call others a couple weeks ago?

This is definitely the most broken and stressful process!

• Care
What’s going on with BU? Some are saying they know people who were given offers a while ago. When I went on July 14, the PD said “we will let you know in a week or two.” A friend I know interviewed on July 28, PD said “we should make decisions next week.” And now it sounds like they are doing another interview on Aug 15. I don’t know how to make heads or tails of this. Like if they did not already make offers to my friend and me, but are continuing to interview, are we SOL? Or is it possible we are in their acceptance list and are trying to fill the last few spots? But then why call others a couple weeks ago?

This is definitely the most broken and stressful process!
I am sorry!
Keep hoping, I think they dont usually ghost their candidates..
Did you choose 24 or 36?
I think they have their own strategy to select people

I am sorry!
Keep hoping, I think they dont usually ghost their candidates..
Did you choose 24 or 36?
I think they have their own strategy to select people
36. I was really wanted their MSD program. And reiterated that in the interview

Columbia sent interviews today via email for in person interview to select dates August 16, 17, 23, 24, 25

Reactions: 6 users
University of Alabama at Birmingham - email invite 7/15, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
Loma Linda University - invites sent 7/01, interview 08/05 - Offers made
University of California at Los Angeles - Invite sent 7/6; interview Zoom 7/12, 07/29
University of California at San Francisco - email invite 6/29, 7/14 interview - Spots filled
University of Southern California - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/29, 8/2, 8/4 - Offers made
University of the Pacific - email invite 7/15, interview 7/26, 7/28 - Offers made
University of Connecticut - 6/20, 7/7 email invite, 7/20, 7/21 interview - Spots filled
Nova Southeastern University - phone call 7/7, interviews 7/25, 7/26
- Spots filled
University of Florida - Invites sent 6/30, July 15th interview - Spots filled
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) - 5/31 email; 7/18 interview - Spots filled
University of Illinois at Chicago - 6/30 email, 7/13, 7/14 - Spots filled

Southern Illinois University - invite email 8/1; interview 8/12
Indiana University - 6/22 email; 7/11 interview - Spots filled
University of Iowa - invites sent 7/7, interview 7/14 and 7/15 - Spots filled
University of Louisville - 6/5 phone; 7/15, 7/18 interview - Spots filled
Louisiana State University - 6/17 email; 7/22 interview - Spots filled

University of Maryland - 07/11 email; 07/29 interview
Boston University - 6/8 email; 6/16, 7/14, 7/25, 7/28, 8/15 interviews - Offers made
Harvard University - 6/29 email, 7/15, 7/22 Interview - Spots filled
Tufts University - 6/16 email; 7/11, 7/12, 7/14 interviews - Spots filled
University of Detroit Mercy - 7/19 email, 7/25 virtual interview - Spots filled
University of Michigan - 7/14 email, 8/1 interview - Spots filled
University of Minnesota - 6/25 phone call; interviews 7/7, 7/8 - Spots filled
Saint Louis University - 6/10 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Missouri-Kansas City - 6/24 email, 7/13 interview - Spots filled
University of Nebraska - 7/1 email, 7/21, 7/22 interview - Spots filled
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - 6/21, 6/24 email; 7/8, 7/11 interview - Spots filled

Columbia University - 8/9 email; interview 8/16, 17, 23, 24, 25
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) - invite sent 7/6, interview 7/20, 7/21 - Spots filled

NYU Langone Puerto Rico - early August; interview sometime in September
New York University - email 07/15, 07/25 Zoom interview - Offers made
Stony Brook University - 6/15 email; 7/7 Zoom interview - Spots filled

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
University of North Carolina - 7/14 invites sent, 7/29 interview - Spots filled
Case Western Reserve University -
The Ohio State University - 6/21 Phone call; 7/14 and 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Oregon Health & Science University - email 7/7, 1st round interview 7/13, final round 7/27
- Spots filled
Albert Einstein Medical Center - 6/21 email, interview 7/14 - Spots filled
Temple University - 6/28, 7/11 email, 7/18 interview -
Spots filled
University of Pennsylvania - invite 8/1; interview Zoom 8/8-12
University of Pittsburgh - 6/22 email; 7/15 interview - Spots filled
Medical University of South Carolina - 6/27 phone call, 7/14 interview - Spots filled

University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 07/20 email, 08/05 interview
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 6/13 call/email, 7/12 interview - Spots filled
University of Texas at Houston - 6/1, 6/13 email, 7/15 interview - Spots filled

University of Texas at San Antonio - 7/15 email, 8/5 interview
Virginia Commonwealth University - email 7/7, interview 7/22 - Spots filled
University of Washington - 6/25 phone call, 7/8, 7/11 interviews - Spots filled

West Virginia University - email 07/20; 08/01 interview
Marquette University - 07/27 phone call; 08/12 interview
VA New York- 6/6 email; interview 7/8 - Spots filled

Last edited:
Last year it looks like Buffalo sent out invitations around 8/20.
Buffalo has 2 resident positions available.

buffalo.png

Also, Case Western seemed to have sent out invitations in November according to last year.
Case Western has 4 resident positions available.

case western.png

Last edited:
Offers already started going out , have a friend who was accepted on Monday

Yeah I know someone got into USC on Monday too!

What’s the deal with BU? Any news ? I heard few ppl got accepted

Yeah I know someone got into USC on Monday too!

What’s the deal with BU? Any news ? I heard few ppl got accepted
They are doing another interview on Monday Aug 15. So idk what that means for those who already had interviews but no calls. Probably means we are **** out of luck

ADAT questions:

1) what are good apps or websites or books to study from? I graduated in 2017 and have done zero removable, pathology, military people tend to be very healthy etc. I feel like I will have to study and re-learn a lot.

2) is it a problem if I take the ADAT in 2023 but don’t apply until 2024? Or should I take the ADAT same year as my application cycle?

ADAT questions:

1) what are good apps or websites or books to study from? I graduated in 2017 and have done zero removable, pathology, military people tend to be very healthy etc. I feel like I will have to study and re-learn a lot.

2) is it a problem if I take the ADAT in 2023 but don’t apply until 2024? Or should I take the ADAT same year as my application cycle?
Time doesn’t matter.

I used crackadat and buster? They kinda helped. I also been out since 17, biomed is a big fat struggle no matter what. Clinica science is relatively easier and I got over 600 both times( yes I’m desperate enough to take it again yet not getting in). Data science I have no solid opinion about. Latest overall score I got was 580. Not bad not good. Not gonna take it again. Having my posterior violated by this exam twice is more than enough in a life time.

Reactions: 2 users
ADAT questions:

I was in same boat as you (trying to reteach myself Boards Part I material while working full time was really painful).

I say study hard but don’t kill yourself. I only got 550 and was still able to get interviews so I’m not convinced how important it really is.

Did anyone complete the VA AEGD in San Diego that can comment on their experience there? Would greatly appreciate it. Considering that program as I didn't get an Endo this year.

Does anyone know if there’s a minimal ADAT score requirement for applying to programs?

My 2 cents is that a good adat score might get you an interview but I don’t think it’s that important. I know people with great adat scores still haven’t been accepted and people with terrible adat scores that got accepted. I really think it’s about networking and getting to know some program directors. Take CE courses that’s a great way to get to know more endodontist. In my experience interviewing only one program asked about my score.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if there’s a minimal ADAT score requirement for applying to programs?
Of course the higher the better, but my friend got 400 something which is not high but got 2 interviews, still no acceptance but I mean still considered qualified, because they would look at everything else on your application, not just the ADAT.
and 1 program sent him rejection email, and he asked them is it because my low ADAT score? the PD replied no it did not matter in his case but there were many other qualified candidates.

Anyone know how many are interviewing for Columbia?

Anyone know how many are interviewing for Columbia?
Hi, I’m not sure how many but I won’t be attending the interview since I was accepted elsewhere. I did interview there last year and it was pretty straightforward. Typical endo interview questions.

Any updates if BU (both 24 month and 36 month programs) and USC have filled all their spots?