*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you a reapplicant or is this your first time applying? The schools will initially see your 2 prior MCAT scores and may set your application aside until they also see your new score.
This will be my first time applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question abt my LORs

Is it recommended to have 1 science and 1 non-science prof as recommenders, or is it fine if I submit 2 science LORs? My other 2 letters are from my research PI and a physician.

The reason I'm asking is because I think my other science professor may have written a stronger letter than my English professor (who I've known for less time), and I'm thinking of swapping them out. I would also have to send a new interfolio delivery to TMDSAS, and that might delay my application review. Any advice?

Question abt my LORs

Is it recommended to have 1 science and 1 non-science prof as recommenders, or is it fine if I submit 2 science LORs? My other 2 letters are from my research PI and a physician.

The reason I'm asking is because I think my other science professor may have written a stronger letter than my English professor (who I've known for less time), and I'm thinking of swapping them out. I would also have to send a new interfolio delivery to TMDSAS, and that might delay my application review. Any advice?
Message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them how to change recommender letters. I believe it is possible before apps have been transmitted to schools. Before you do that, go read all about recommenders and the FAQS on the TMDSAS Guide so you know the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them how to change recommender letters. I believe it is possible before apps have been transmitted to schools. Before you do that, go read all about recommenders and the FAQS on the TMDSAS Guide so you know the basics.
yes, I know that they can switch them out as long as the letter is not received. But, would you recommend doing that? not sure if there is a rule of thumb to use 1 science, 1 non-science LOR when I could just go for 2 science LOR

yes, I know that they can switch them out as long as the letter is not received. But, would you recommend doing that? not sure if there is a rule of thumb to use 1 science, 1 non-science LOR when I could just go for 2 science LOR
You can use 2 science if you think those are stronger

I am planning on applying for the first time this cycle with a 4.0/512 as an ORM Asian. My FL average was a 518 so I feel like I could score a bit better with some extra prep. Would it be too risky if I apply to only 5 schools (UTSW, BCM, McGovern, Long, Dell) assuming that I won't get in this cycle and prepare for a reapplication. I am planning on retaking my MCAT in Jan/March as I am interning full time during the summer and fall. I have pretty strong EC's (400 clinical hours, 2000 research with 2 first author pubs, 200 nonclinical, lots of leadership, strong rec letters, double major with strong health policy interests and activities backing it).

I am okay with taking a gap year if that means I would have a better chance of getting into my top choices I am applying to now, but ideally I would like to go straight from undergrad if I can get into one of them with my current application which is why I want to apply. If I didn't get in this cycle, I will apply broadly to all TX schools and OOS next year regardless of how my MCAT retake turns out.

My questions are:
1. How bad does being a reapplicant look like in Texas if I did not apply everywhere the first time around in the event that my MCAT didn't improve by much?
2. Do I even have a shot this cycle at the schools I am listing and is it even worth applying to them now with my current stats?
I think you should apply to all the TMDSAS schools!
Median MCAT for matriculants is 511.3.

The LATEST MCAT acceptable for this application cycle is September, so a January test will not help for this year.

I would like to see you applying with confidence (and it sounds like your app is pretty strong) because applying while telling yourself you are going to fail is not a positive mindset to enter the application cycle with.
Believe in yourself and that will be contagious!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your encouragement. I don't think I was super clear, but I was asking whether it would be okay for me to apply to just the select TMDSAS schools I mentioned for this cycle (while actively preparing for the MCAT), and if not applying to all TMDSAS will hurt me in the event I needed to reapply broadly.

So if I got into one of my top choices which I am applying for this cycle, I will attend and all is great. If not, I would reapply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT to improve my chances for the next cycle because I believe that is what would be holding me back from the schools I mentioned.

I was mainly wondering if it would look bad if I only applied to some of the TMDSAS schools in the event that I applied everywhere the following cycle (if I didn't get into one of these 5 I listed)
Yes, I knew what you were asking but was trying to gently steer you my way!
There is a myth that won't die that you HAVE to apply to all the TMDSAS schools, but the choice is up to you.

Thank you for your encouragement. I don't think I was super clear, but I was asking whether it would be okay for me to apply to just the select TMDSAS schools I mentioned for this cycle (while actively preparing for the MCAT), and if not applying to all TMDSAS will hurt me in the event I needed to reapply broadly.

So if I got into one of my top choices which I am applying for this cycle, I will attend and all is great. If not, I would reapply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT to improve my chances for the next cycle because I believe that is what would be holding me back from the schools I mentioned.

You should probably just apply broadly now. If you end up needing to reapply, you’ll be wishing you applied to UTMB, TAMU, etc. the first time around.

This past cycle, I interviewed at several T10 schools but heard nothing from BCM and Dell. There are no guarantees, even if you knock it out of the park on your MCAT retake. I’ll be matriculating at one of the TX “mid-tiers”. Even the strongest applicants (now attending fancy OOS schools) at my school applied broadly in TX. MD is an MD.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
You should probably just apply broadly now. If you end up needing to reapply, you’ll be wishing you applied to UTMB, TAMU, etc. the first time around.

This past cycle, I interviewed at several T10 schools but heard nothing from BCM and Dell. There are no guarantees, even if you knock it out of the park on your MCAT retake. I’ll be matriculating at one of the TX “mid-tiers”. Even the strongest applicants (now attending fancy OOS schools) at my school applied broadly in TX. MD is an MD.
Where are you going, @curvedstand ?

I just received notice that my application was transmitted this morning (5/31, 9:33AM). I'm struggling with a lot of anxiety about this cycle right now and am wondering when I would start receiving secondaries, how they come in and what to keep an eye out for in the junk folder, and what to do if I do not receive them, especially from the schools that send them to everyone. I'm just paranoid I missed some glaring issue or that something is going to go horribly wrong and would appreciate any help! :)

I also have a 2 hour OChem Lab deficiency because I am planning on taking it this upcoming semester. I emailed TMDSAS about it but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is an actual issue or if schools will understand that I will complete the course and receive a grade prior to hopefully matriculating. Thanks so much in advance!!

I just received notice that my application was transmitted this morning (5/31, 9:33AM). I'm struggling with a lot of anxiety about this cycle right now and am wondering when I would start receiving secondaries, how they come in and what to keep an eye out for in the junk folder, and what to do if I do not receive them, especially from the schools that send them to everyone. I'm just paranoid I missed some glaring issue or that something is going to go horribly wrong and would appreciate any help! :)

I also have a 2 hour OChem Lab deficiency because I am planning on taking it this upcoming semester. I emailed TMDSAS about it but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is an actual issue or if schools will understand that I will complete the course and receive a grade prior to hopefully matriculating. Thanks so much in advance!!
Take a deep breath my friend. The patterns so far have been u should receive UTBM and dell email (not secondaries) within the next few days since they been the quickest. Then A&M sent it to me a week later. I barely received McGovern so not every school has sent them out yet this is just for MD. Secondaries come from the schools emails with info about what the next steps are. I heard schools dont look at secondaries till later so you are still good.

Good job on getting that long application turned in!

The deficiency on your PCR/ Chem Lab is not going to harm you, since you haven't graduated yet and are planning to take that course before you do. Schools realize this when applicants are still in college.

Texas hints for keeping track of all your school secondaries:

You will get your secondary invitations by email.
Check your email daily including spam and on Gmail, the "Promotions" and "Social" tabs.

When you get a secondary invitation email, read every word to see:
1. Do they have a strict deadline by which they want it back?
2. How would they like to receive it? In a school portal, or by email?

Make a separate email folder or category for each med school and keep every communication between the two of you in it.
Make yourself some kind of list of all the school portals you create and your username and password for each one.

Realize that they have a lot of reading to do, and that some schools have a custom of communicating often and some schools do not.

Click "Watch" on the SDN page of each school you applied to, so when someone else shares the secondary questions , you can start writing.
WAIT until you get an invitation to send it in though. (Also CHECK your secondary directly from the school to be sure our SDN buddies got the wording right!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a deep breath my friend. The patterns so far have been u should receive UTBM and dell email (not secondaries) within the next few days since they been the quickest. Then A&M sent it to me a week later. I barely received McGovern so not every school has sent them out yet this is just for MD. Secondaries come from the schools emails with info about what the next steps are. I heard schools dont look at secondaries till later so you are still good.
Thank you!!

Good job on getting that long application turned in!

The deficiency on your PCR/ Chem Lab is not going to harm you, since you haven't graduated yet and are planning to take that course before you do. Schools realize this when applicants are still in college.

Texas hints for keeping track of all your school secondaries:

You will get your secondary invitations by email.
Check your email daily including spam and on Gmail, the "Promotions" and "Social" tabs.

When you get a secondary invitation email, read every word to see:
1. Do they have a strict deadline by which they want it back?
2. How would they like to receive it? In a school portal, or by email?

Make a separate email folder or category for each med school and keep every communication between the two of you in it.
Make yourself some kind of list of all the school portals you create and your username and password for each one.

Realize that they have a lot of reading to do, and that some schools have a custom of communicating often and some schools do not.

Click "Watch" on the SDN page of each school you applied to, so when someone else shares the secondary questions , you can start writing.
WAIT until you get an invitation to send it in though. (Also CHECK your secondary directly from the school to be sure our SDN buddies got the wording right!)
Thank you so much :). I'm wondering if you know which Texas schools like / want high stat applicants (526, 4.0) and which schools don't care as much about that kind of thing, just to keep in mind as I start prewriting my secondaries now.

Thank you so much :). I'm wondering if you know which Texas schools like / want high stat applicants (526, 4.0) and which schools don't care as much about that kind of thing, just to keep in mind as I start prewriting my secondaries now.
Check out MSAR or google the averages for Texas schools! I believe Baylor and UTSW are the heavy hitters, but even they have applicants that shine in other ways besides really high stats.

90th percentile accepted for Baylor, UT-A, UT-SA = 524., UTSW = 523, UTMB = 522. I believe All Texas school accepts students with high statistics. At the end, If you look at matriculant percentile, that makes a difference. for example 90th percentile of Acceptance vs Matriculant, for UTMB it is 522 vs 518 and for UTSW it is 523 vs 522. You could prioritize based on which school you want to attend.

Last edited:
Can I use the optional essay to explain why I am applying to Texas as an out of state resident? Thank you.

UT Tyler is just in its first year of running their system, but they are looking for strong ties to East Texas
also worth noting that they screen for 3.0 in last 30 BCPM credits & 492 mcat

Is there a running list of what schools are requiring in person interviews? Of the secondaries I've gotten so far, it looks like SHSU is requiring in person.

Is there a running list of what schools are requiring in person interviews? Of the secondaries I've gotten so far, it looks like SHSU is requiring in person.
UT Tyler did last year, and UIWSOM gave applicants a choice. All the rest plan to remain online
Oh, and EnMed interviews are in person but regular A&M interviews are online.

Last edited:
for those who’s applications have been verified and received secondaries, did you need to upload any extra documents to verify residency? and how long was it before you got your first secondary?

thanks! 😊

Can you put two part time activities (if you are deciding between the two) for your planned (gap year) and then end up only choosing one? My problem is I can either stay in one city and do research or move to another city and scribe. I already will have 2000 research whereas I have like 150 paid clinical and 300 overall. I know it doesn’t really matter (that ratio) but I want both options open due to cost of living differences!

Can you put two part time activities (if you are deciding between the two) for your planned (gap year) and then end up only choosing one? My problem is I can either stay in one city and do research or move to another city and scribe. I already will have 2000 research whereas I have like 150 paid clinical and 300 overall. I know it doesn’t really matter (that ratio) but I want both options open due to cost of living differences!
If plans are uncertain don’t enter the maybe jobs. Future activities have little or no impact on the assessment of your primary app.
There will be opportunities during this gap year to update what you’re doing in secondaries or interviews

I’m confused about the mixed reviews on listening multiple categories. TMDSAS says only healthcare/employment and leadership and then don’t use the same descriptions, which I get. But it does not say you need to split the hours. So can I just keep all my hours the same?

I’m confused about the mixed reviews on listening multiple categories. TMDSAS says only healthcare/employment and leadership and then don’t use the same descriptions, which I get. But it does not say you need to split the hours. So can I just keep all my hours the same?
Message TMDSAS in portal and ask

did you apply day 1? and did they ask you to upload any extra documents? i submitted 15 minutes after submissions open but my application hasn't been sent to schools yet.

did you apply day 1? and did they ask you to upload any extra documents? i submitted 15 minutes after submissions open but my application hasn't been sent to schools yet.
have u contacted them ? it may be that there's an issue with your application because if submitted it the first day you should be transmitted by now.

Me again. When it says enter jobs for each period you were in. If I did a job junior and senior does it mean leave the dates and enter it twice or like make the dates match when you were a senior and when you were a junior.

Me again. When it says enter jobs for each period you were in. If I did a job junior and senior does it mean leave the dates and enter it twice or like make the dates match when you were a senior and when you were a junior.
TMDSAS Guide, instructions for activities

Entering Asynchronous Activities​

Splitting your activity between Current or Planned Activity

In some instances, you may have engaged in an activity for short periods of time but over a long time span (e.g., volunteering at a summer camp). You may enter these activities in one of two ways:

1. Enter each instance individually. This is the best option if your role or the activity changed over time. Make sure the description reflects the changes in your role.
  2. Enter once as a single activity. This option may be best if the breaks in the activity were short, such as having a winter or summer break as a peer tutor. Be careful not to overinflate your total hours.

have u contacted them ? it may be that there's an issue with your application because if submitted it the first day you should be transmitted by now.
I called and was met with someone a bit unkind who said unless I got any messages about issues then I shouldn't be calling lol. I asked if I was at the back of the line for processing because I was asked to upload supporting documents for my residency and she said "yup."

Is there anyone else in the same boat? Kinda freaked out now :(

I called and was met with someone a bit unkind who said unless I got any messages about issues then I shouldn't be calling lol. I asked if I was at the back of the line for processing because I was asked to upload supporting documents for my residency and she said "yup."

Is there anyone else in the same boat? Kinda freaked out now :(
Because you had to upload extra documents your application will go to the staff member in charge of processing and analysis of your materials with respect to residency determination.
Calling them won’t change anything.
Please follow instructions and wait for an update message in your portal. Portal messaging is the official mode of communication with TMDSAS.

One of the letters I uploaded to TMDSAS through inter-folio was denied. Am I allowed to have my letter writer directly upload the corrected letter to TMDSAS? Or do they have to upload to Interfolio again?
You can do it directly to TMDSAS. Message them and tell them that recommender will now be doing a direct upload instead of sending through Interfolio and they can change that for you.

First, figure out why the letter was denied: Usually it's one of 3 reasons:
Not on a letterhead
Not dated
Not signed by hand

Does your BCPM GPA include graduate courses? Does the PCR include your BCPM GPA? If not, how do we know how TMDSAS has calculated your GPA?

Does your BCPM GPA include graduate courses? Does the PCR include your BCPM GPA? If not, how do we know how TMDSAS has calculated your GPA?

Overview of course types included in the BCPM GPA and/or count towards your prerequisites:​

PCR & BCPM

Because you had to upload extra documents your application will go to the staff member in charge of processing and analysis of your materials with respect to residency determination.
Calling them won’t change anything.
Please follow instructions and wait for an update message in your portal. Portal messaging is the official mode of communication with TMDSAS.
Thank you for responding! The person in my portal messaging me hasn’t responded since the first request she sent for me to upload residency documents. I have asked other questions through the portal as well and haven’t gotten a response for those. How should I go about solving this?

Thank you for responding! The person in my portal messaging me hasn’t responded since the first request she sent for me to upload residency documents. I have asked other questions through the portal as well and haven’t gotten a response for those. How should I go about solving this?
You wait. When they have a response to your inquiry they will send it.

Sorry to hear this. I hope they could do the verification in parallel, while they transmit your app to schools. I could understand your frustration, but since it is still early and since you applied on day 1, hopefully you won't be in much of disadvantage.

TMDSAS Guide, instructions for activities

Entering Asynchronous Activities​

Splitting your activity between Current or Planned Activity

In some instances, you may have engaged in an activity for short periods of time but over a long time span (e.g., volunteering at a summer camp). You may enter these activities in one of two ways:

1. Enter each instance individually. This is the best option if your role or the activity changed over time. Make sure the description reflects the changes in your role.
  2. Enter once as a single activity. This option may be best if the breaks in the activity were short, such as having a winter or summer break as a peer tutor. Be careful not to overinflate your total hours.
I mean like for Junior Senior status it says enter it for each status you have for employment specifically.

Sorry to hear this. I hope they could do the verification in parallel, while they transmit your app to schools. I could understand your frustration, but since it is still early and since you applied on day 1, hopefully you won't be in much of disadvantage.
Well this isn’t going to happen because the app is not going to be transmitted to schools until any outstanding questions or inconsistencies are resolved.
Apps with no questions or things to enquire about are going to go through faster.

One more question! I just realized TMDSAS doesn't let you put "no credit" for AP courses that were repeated. Do I just leave them off? I like repeated them for credit so they are going to show up as no credit on my transcript.

One more question! I just realized TMDSAS doesn't let you put "no credit" for AP courses that were repeated. Do I just leave them off? I like repeated them for credit so they are going to show up as no credit on my transcript.
If you took a similar Intro Bio course in college, that is not considered a repeat of your AP course and should not be listed as a repeat.
Look at TMDSAS Guide menu Coursework on the left
select entering AP credits from the subtopic menu

There is a detailed description of how to enter this, whether your college separated out the AP credits into course areas or just noted a lump sum of "12 AP credits"

If AP credits appear on your transcript, you should enter them in the TMDSAS portal according to their instructions.
AP credits will fall under the term selection "PF" (pre-freshman) since you took them in HS

This is definitely a hindsight is 20/20 and wishful thinking question but…would it have been more beneficial to graduate and then do an informal postbac for a GPA repair so programs can see my last 100 credits were 3.9 as opposed to my cGPA being 3.4?

What I did was delay my graduation as long as I could so I could use my financial aid as long as possible

This is definitely a hindsight is 20/20 and wishful thinking question but…would it have been more beneficial to graduate and then do an informal postbac for a GPA repair so programs can see my last 100 credits were 3.9 as opposed to my cGPA being 3.4?

What I did was delay my graduation as long as I could so I could use my financial aid as long as possible
I think you made a good choice because all your better grades will be averaged in to bring up your undergrad GPA, and they will still see your upward trend for sure.
TMDSAS calculates your GPA overall, but also year by year so schools will see that.

I think you made a good choice because all your better grades will be averaged in to bring up your undergrad GPA, and they will still see your upward trend for sure.
TMDSAS calculates your GPA overall, but also year by year so schools will see that.
Oh I didn’t realize they’d have a year by year breakdown too, that’s awesome! Nothing to do now but write great and hope for the best. Thanks!

Hello everyone. Is the final BCPM GPA on the PCR or do I have to look elsewhere?