OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks but there are alot of people with better stats out there.

For the people reading this thread for nextcycle, what do you think it was about you that made you a good bridge candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are looking for people from the area's they have listed this is from OSU-CHS website,
"Applicants to the Bridge Program will follow application procedures and meet technical standards as stated in this catalog for all students gaining entry into the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Students applying to the Bridge Program must prove personal disadvantage in at least one of the following areas:
  • Economic
    • See the Federal Guidelines for the consideration of economic disadvantaged status.
    • All applicants must submit personal, parental, and/or guardian income tax returns for the year prior to matriculation
    Educational

Factors for consideration include:
    • Free lunch rate of high school
    • Graduated high school in community with less than 7500
    • First generation college student
  • Underrepresented Minority in Medicine "
While you are elgible if you only meet one of these criteria the more you meet the more elgible you are. Personally I think that if you apply and contact the admissions office to improve your application your chances of a successful application greatly increase. It doesn't matter if it is bridge or regular program.

Bump! Hows everyone's final weeks of this semester going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about Ashwood Apartments in the Tulsa/Broken Arrow area? Thanks

Bump! Hows everyone's final weeks of this semester going?

They'd be going a lot better if I knew about OSU hee hee.

I'm looking forward to getting my Master's next month, though! I have my thesis defense in just a few weeks! :eek::scared:

enjoy that! haha, but come May 15th your worry's should be resolved, for the better... or worse. haha

haha congrats!

On other news, today the next admitted student day was anounced: June 12th!

Hope to see some new faces this time!

Hi. I'm looking for a female roommate for this upcoming year. I am thinking about living in Westport Apartments. Please send me a message if you have questions or if you might be interested.

Do you bridge guys just get a phone call acceptance or mail acceptance.

Phone call was first, with letter the next day.

I plan on attending admitted students day.

Is there a facebook page for admitted students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good/bad news!

I know of three people who are withdrawing from OSU this week. Should see some movement!

Good/bad news!

I know of three people who are withdrawing from OSU this week. Should see some movement!

As a former OU applicant, I know that the waitlist really kicks into high gear right about now, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for OSU as well.

I really hope OSU gives me a chance; their family med program really has me pumped.

That said, there's nothing like a couple of finals and a thesis presentation to keep you busy!

Hey Arqui, I prayed that you and I both get in this year. Good luck to you, buddy!

Looking at the OU thread, there seems to be quite a bit of waitlist movement. I hope this also means that OSU's waitlist will do the same!

Looking at the OU thread, there seems to be quite a bit of waitlist movement. I hope this also means that OSU's waitlist will do the same!

When I was one OU's waitlist last year I noticed a pretty strong correlation between OU's and OSU's waitlist movement. But IIRC there shouldn't be much movement until mid-May.

i'm applying to osu in june and was wondering if anyone here has been accepted with a low gpa or similar stats. anyone know what my chances of getting in are? osu is my first choice.

gpa 3.1-3.2
mcat 31K 7PS/13VR/11BS

GPA is low, MCAT is good score overall, but the imbalance might hurt you.

Are you in state or out of state? What other activites do you have? shadowing, research, work experience, etc.

OSU is a whole picture school and considers a person by everything.

GPA is low, MCAT is good score overall, but the imbalance might hurt you.

Are you in state or out of state? What other activites do you have? shadowing, research, work experience, etc.

OSU is a whole picture school and considers a person by everything.

instate, some shadowing and volunteer, 3 1/2 yrs hospital exp. CNA, AUA, worked as a urology tech for about 2 of those years, nurse aid for the rest. i've heard that the physical science section is not looked at as being as important as the other two. is there any truth to that?

instate, some shadowing and volunteer, 3 1/2 yrs hospital exp. CNA, AUA, worked as a urology tech for about 2 of those years, nurse aid for the rest. i've heard that the physical science section is not looked at as being as important as the other two. is there any truth to that?

I had a 7 in PS with a significantly lower overall MCAT and I was accepted, but my GPA was quite a bit higher. I don't think the MCAT is going to be the issue with you. It is going to be your GPA. It looks like you have plenty of clinical experience. You said some volunteer work. I don't know exactly what that means, but very little volunteer work might hurt some. Scheduling some good upper division science courses in the fall semester, like biochem or genetics, and doing well (A), could help as well. They will give you an interview, but may waitlist you until they see how you did in these classes. I know of at least one person this last cycle that this happened to.

Overall, if you apply early, you should get a fairly early interview. Do well in the interview, and I think you have a decent shot. Good luck!

Balance your GPA by taking upper division sciences and shooting for A's, also what is your GPA trend? if its upward, then that helps alot by showing OSU that you buckled down and got serious.

Balance your GPA by taking upper division sciences and shooting for A's, also what is your GPA trend? if its upward, then that helps alot by showing OSU that you buckled down and got serious.

mostly upward except for Cs in organic 1 & 2 and genetics. First semester I had to miss the last two weeks of school including finals so that significantly hurt my gpa, also worked full time through most of college. i am retaking genetics over the summer and taking additional upper division science classes summer and fall semesters. do you know anyone who got in with a 3.1 or 3.2?

i'm applying to osu in june and was wondering if anyone here has been accepted with a low gpa or similar stats. anyone know what my chances of getting in are? osu is my first choice.

gpa 3.1-3.2
mcat 31K 7PS/13VR/11BS

I think you have a great chance. You have a high MCAT and good EC's. Don't listen to people if they are telling you otherwise. I think you have a great chance to get into either OU or OSU. I have known people who have gotten into both with much less. Just a apply and continue with your EC's and sit back and relax.

mostly upward except for Cs in organic 1 & 2 and genetics. First semester I had to miss the last two weeks of school including finals so that significantly hurt my gpa, also worked full time through most of college. i am retaking genetics over the summer and taking additional upper division science classes summer and fall semesters. do you know anyone who got in with a 3.1 or 3.2?

Not specifically, no. But I still think you are in good shape. What other upper division science courses have you taken? OSU loves to see histology, biochem and genetics. Since you have given three upper division science courses and have a C in all of them, it could be a red flag if you haven't taken many others. Of course this is strictly my opinion except the bolded statements.

Last edited:
On a sad note, I'm giving up my spot to OSU.

I spent the last three years visiting OSU and loving the school. It is my number one choice. However, the best thing for my family is to go to OU, hard to justify commuting over an hour one way each day. I wish all of you (accepted or not) and the school the best of luck.

Last edited:
Not specifically, no. But I still think you are in good shape. What other upper division science courses have you taken? OSU loves to see histology, biochem and genetics. Since you have given three upper division science courses and have a C in all of them, it could be a red flag if you haven't taken many others. Of course this is strictly my opinion except the bolded statements.

i really appreciate everyone taking the time to help
here's a list of upper division science i've taken:

cell and molecular bio A
Advanced microbiology A
Genetics C
microbial ecology B
eukaryotic genetics B
human evolution A

taking this semester (with expected grade):

botany A
Biochem A
immunology B
advanced cell& molecular bio A or B
organic lab B

taking bio rythyms and retaking genetics this summer

So does OSU just wait until mid-May before it pushes through the wait list? This wait and lack of information is brutal

Just my 2 cents:

You have several uppers roadrunner which is good and grades look ok in them too. You really need to have at least 2 of the following: Anatomy, Histology, Biochem (all first semester med school classes) to get the early nods is what they told me last year at interview. That said, you have good ECs, and MCAT is nice.

Soory, but I dont know what Whoop is on. I know several people with higher stats than you (MCAT and GPA) and equal ECs that didnt even get an interview at OU. But OSU will look at you in the interview and thats where you can sell them! Good luck.

Sorry to see you go Just One! When did you get the news?

Just my 2 cents:

You have several uppers roadrunner which is good and grades look ok in them too. You really need to have at least 2 of the following: Anatomy, Histology, Biochem (all first semester med school classes) to get the early nods is what they told me last year at interview. That said, you have good ECs, and MCAT is nice.

Soory, but I dont know what Whoop is on. I know several people with higher stats than you (MCAT and GPA) and equal ECs that didnt even get an interview at OU. But OSU will look at you in the interview and thats where you can sell them! Good luck.

Sad to go. Got the news yesterday. I'll relinquish my spot at osu as soon as my other paperwork is finished. Should be next week.

Welp, another one bites the dust.

Anyways, as everyone said two of those three are necessary and are a must.

Just my 2 cents:

i took anatomy at TCC so it doesnt count as upper division, i'm at osu stillwater right now and they dont offer histology here. do you know of any other courses they want? i'm taking biochem right now.

i took anatomy at TCC so it doesnt count as upper division, i'm at osu stillwater right now and they dont offer histology here. do you know of any other courses they want? i'm taking biochem right now.

Take physiology...it was a good class and was not too difficult. It should be a fairly easy A. I went to OSU as well, it was only offered in the fall. Lavern is the professor and he is very good. I also took endocrinology with him in the Spring, which was another great and extremely relevant class.

Take physiology...it was a good class and was not too difficult. It should be a fairly easy A. I went to OSU as well, it was only offered in the fall. Lavern is the professor and he is very good. I also took endocrinology with him in the Spring, which was another great and extremely relevant class.

i really wanted to take endocrinology but its not offered in the fall. i am taking behavioural neuroendocrinology, physiology, and medical genetics in the fall. might take endocrinology next spring just for fun.

I know... it seems odd I hear people trash OU so much but as soon as they get an acceptance, its an immediate flip. I went into the process pretty much at a stalemate and after interviewing and talking to students, found OSU far superior. Some people see the amount of money going into OU and believe that = superior education.

Your fall (Endocrine esp)and biochem this summer look like some pretty good classes. I agree with Marsh on Physio - its offered spring MS1. I still say you need the comp anatomy (A&P doesnt cut it) if at all possible, and that your interviewers will want it. They grilled one of the girls at my interview over not having the class.

Those others, while great are icing, because they have peripheral med school knowledge but not actual classes youll see later. Dont think Im knocking them, I think youll benefit greatly by having them - Im just telling you that I interviewed several places (MD and DO) and they all asked about Anat/Histo/Biochem classes specifically.

Last edited:
It's a pity nobody asks about Public Health (MPH). Mostly because hardly anyone realizes it exists.

Your fall (Endocrine esp)and biochem this summer look like some pretty good classes. I agree with Marsh on Physio - its offered spring MS1. I still say you need the comp anatomy (A&P doesnt cut it) if at all possible, and that your interviewers will want it. They grilled one of the girls at my interview over not having the class.

Those others, while great are icing, because they have peripheral med school knowledge but not actual classes youll see later. Dont think Im knocking them, I think youll benefit greatly by having them - Im just telling you that I interviewed several places (MD and DO) and they all asked about Anat/Histo/Biochem classes specifically.

the anatomy i took at TCC was only anatomy, it wasnt the A&P. It seems to be a 2000 level course at osu too, so does it matter that i took it at a community college?

It's a pity nobody asks about Public Health (MPH). Mostly because hardly anyone realizes it exists.

I have an MPH, and I talked a lot about it in both my OSU and OU interview. It is a great perspective. I don't know how much it is going to help me in medical school though. Medical people know about it, but there is a major disconnect between public health ideologies and medical ideologies. I am not saying this is wrong or right, but it will always be the case, healthcare bill or no healthcare bill.

I have the Certificate of Public Health from OU-Tulsa....stats is always helpful, especially in degesting pertinant literature, and we have a medical epidemiology class that is essentially a survey of what we covered in ou's grad epi. Aside from these 2, I don't think you wil have much of an advantage in the didactic years of med school. Where it certainly helps is in the understanding of health care systems and a truly holistic/population approach to medicine.