2021-2022 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the "Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?" question should I put my COVID essay or should I write a "why OSU" essay?

Members don't see this ad.

For the "Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?" question should I put my COVID essay or should I write a "why OSU" essay?
Did they include the COVID essay in AACOMAS this year? I think they did for us last year. If so, then they already have it and I wouldn't reuse it there. Personally, I would lean towards the "why OSU" if you have a compelling reason for why you want to go there! Anything you can do to make yourself stand out in the sea of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Got the call earlier this morning. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My application was marked complete this morning. How long did it take for people to receive an II after their app was complete? Hoping I do not get the pre-II rejection.

Completed 8/11 I’m technically OOS but with very strong ties (lived in Oklahoma my whole life up until 2020). Still haven’t received any info/update from OSU. Anyone else in the same boat??

Reactions: 1 users
Completed 8/11 I’m technically OOS but with very strong ties (lived in Oklahoma my whole life up until 2020). Still haven’t received any info/update from OSU. Anyone else in the same boat??
I am! From my understanding (and hoping!), they are strong IS and will get to OOS later in the cycle. I have very strong ties to the school (OSU not medical school) and state, completed 8/2, 3.92 and 505 MCAT. It's been radio silence for me.

I know current IS medical students, who were accepted by now, and current OOS medical students, who were accepted in late January.

How long does it take for them to get to OOS students? My application was complete on July 9th and I have heard nothing since?

How long does it take for them to get to OOS students? My application was complete on July 9th and I have heard nothing since?
I am OOS. I was complete around the 7/25 and interviewed 10/8. How are your stats? Do you fit with their mission (ie rural or underserved or primary care interest)?

They seem pretty picky about the OOS students they invite for interviews. This is anecdotal of course, but I was the only OOS student at my interview day lol

Received an II this morning! Can anyone give insight to the interview format? It would be much appreciated!

Received an II this morning! Can anyone give insight to the interview format? It would be much appreciated!
It's a 2 on 1 individual interview for one part and a team interview where you guys talk about the ethics of a case study. Honestly they make you feel so relaxed and at home when you're interviewing that you almost forget it's an interview at all! I just did mine last week and it was an incredible
experience

It's a 2 on 1 individual interview for one part and a team interview where you guys talk about the ethics of a case study. Honestly they make you feel so relaxed and at home when you're interviewing that you almost forget it's an interview at all! I just did mine last week and it was an incredible
experience
Thank you so much!! That is great to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS. I was complete around the 7/25 and interviewed 10/8. How are your stats? Do you fit with their mission (ie rural or underserved or primary care interest)?

They seem pretty picky about the OOS students they invite for interviews. This is anecdotal of course, but I was the only OOS student at my interview day lol
Yes. 503 MCAT. 3.8 GPA large pub univ. Lived in rural areas my whole life (KY/TN). Worked at a private practice as a MA at a rural hospital. Good clinical experience/shadowing. Good letters. Good volunteering. Now, I did not outright specifically say in my secondary I had an interest in primary care, but I did not express interest in other fields specifically either. Guess it’s the whole state school thing in play. Like you said, you were the only one.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here (students, applicants, accepted, II's) has ever sent an update letter/letter of interest to OSU-COM? I've only been complete since 10/7, but my R's from everywhere else are piling up and I wanna know if I should consider it after a few weeks, if I don't hear anything before then lol Any advice would be great!

Has anyone interviewed for the GAP program or bridge yet?
I emailed a couple weeks ago and they said that interviews for alternate admissions options like Bridge usually happen in early spring (I assume this includes GAP too).

I emailed a couple weeks ago and they said that interviews for alternate admissions options like Bridge usually happen in early spring (I assume this includes GAP too).
Thank you!!

Waitlisted 10/27, I expected it but i still feel the disappointment

Waitlisted 10/27, I expected it but i still feel the disappointment
I felt the same way! I expected it too but it still stings a bit doesnt it? Especially because OSU is really the #1 med school I want to attend. But we just gotta keep our heads up and wait. I personally plan to send an update letter around January-February and have my professor that I TA for currently (for gross anatomy lab) write me a letter of support as well as my supervisor at work (I currently work as a phlebotomist in a hospital).

Last edited:
Waitlisted 11/11. Does anyone know when we should expect to start seeing movement off WL?

Waitlisted 11/11. Does anyone know when we should expect to start seeing movement off WL?
I was waitlisted the first week of September and have not heard back. Hopefully around the time that OU starts sending acceptances, but I don‘t think anyone knows really.

Husband got an II today! Complete in early October. In-State & URM.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel your pain hang in there! I don't imagine there will be alot of wl movement until the spring when people with multiple acceptances start turning down other schools

Did anyone else get an email today encouraging a primary application update?

Reactions: 4 users
I did! I'm going to do it over the break

Did anyone else get an email today encouraging a primary application update?
Yup. I was planning on sending an update email this week. Wondering if I should do both 🤔

Applied in September, II last week. I know they give a decision within 2 weeks of interview, but can those who have interviewed and been accepted tell me if it took the full time for your call?

Applied in September, II last week. I know they give a decision within 2 weeks of interview, but can those who have interviewed and been accepted tell me if it took the full time for your call?
I interviewed 10/8 and got the call 10/18. So not quite the full 2 weeks for me!

Interviewed 8/19, called on 9/3

Anyone OOS receive an II recently?

• Hmm
I sent in my application update earlier this week, Lindsey confirmed with me today that she recieved it. Hopefully this means they'll take another look at my application. Atleast time is passing by quickly

Do they not offer many II to OOS?

Also..... WHY DID THEY HAVE TO EMAIL ME HAPPY HOLIDAYS so unnecessary lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I sent in my application update earlier this week, Lindsey confirmed with me today that she recieved it. Hopefully this means they'll take another look at my application. Atleast time is passing by quickly
Do they not just want us to update through AACOMAS? I'm a bit confused since that doesn't open for another few weeks.

Do they not just want us to update through AACOMAS? I'm a bit confused since that doesn't open for another few weeks.
Lindsey told me to email her once we sent updates through aacomas so she can verify that she got the new information

Do they not offer many II to OOS?

Also..... WHY DID THEY HAVE TO EMAIL ME HAPPY HOLIDAYS so unnecessary lol
I think something like 75 to 80% of their class is from Oklahoma. They seem pretty picky about the OOS people they offer II to. I was the only OOS person at my interview day.

The school receives funding from the state government so usually try to maintain ~85% in-state student body. The school's mission revolves around supplying more physicians to Oklahoma, especially rural areas as there is a very significant shortage. So they try to admit OOS with strong ties to Oklahoma that will help fulfill that mission.

Interviewed 12/3 IS, just received a waitlist email