OU-COM out of state contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuckeyDO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a secondary app from Ohio. In it they have a "contract of admission" where one agrees to work in Ohio for at least five years after medical training. First, what's up with that?!
Second, how would that play out with a military scholarship?

Thanks for any input.

D

Members don't see this ad.

yup, wish I'd known about that before blowing the $ on a primary for OU... didn't even bother with that secondary...

I actually started laughing when I saw that. Great scam they have going to sucker pre-meds outta primary application money. What a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
how can they hold a student to the contract after graduation?

does anyone know if there have been people who have left ohio afterward?!?!?

how can they? I'm pretty sure it says if you leave the state expect a big fat bill for tuition you owe them that the state paid if you stuck around... something in the $10,000 of thousands of dollars in back tuition if you leave the state to practice elsewhere... losing your license if you don't pay... motivation enough for ya... no thanks

Thanks for your replies people. I think I'll file that secondary
right in the fireplace.:D

so if you sign the contract....then you don't have to pay tuition??...or is there a break in tuition? or do you pay in-state tuition??

I might not have a problem staying in Ohio....but I'm just trying to figure out what the stipulations might be....

Being a History major who was mostly surrounded by pre-law students.....I have come to learn that there is loophole to almost every contract !!!

lol, good luck finding the loophole. If I remember correctly just to get the out-of-state tuition you have to agree to the contract. No agree, no matriculation. You break the agreement then they take thumbs, money and your DO... sheesh...

just to update this thread for oos applicants wishing to apply to OUCOM this upcoming cycle with the following link on how to get out of the binding contract via doing an AOA accredited ohio residency. basically each year of primary care=1.5 yrs off the contract, and each year of specialty=1yr off contract. sounds like a good deal to me, being that OUCOM's residencies are all top notch and you can in state tuition as a oos.

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/saffairs/survival_manual/2005-2007/out_of_state_guidelines.htm

This appears to be the case, but can someone verify that someone who is a resident of Ohio prior to matriculation (or even application for that matter) does NOT have to sign this contract and can leave Ohio with no strings attached?

If you are an ohio resident you will not sign any contract.

If you are an ohio resident you will not sign any contract.

Hey Dub, how do you like OU?

I'm an Ohio resident and OU is definitely up there as one of my top schools that I can realistically get into.

So far im very happy at ou. Im ending my 2nd year (1 week left) and feel it has been very solid so far. Feel free to pm me for more details/specifics.

I believe there is a buy-out clause in the contract if you want to break it.