• Ohio State

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey all, I'm in the fortunate position of having to choose between these schools, and I'm creating this thread primarily to see if people point out things about these schools that I hadn't thought about or considered. I will say, however, that I'm an Ohio resident. Staying in Ohio isn't important to me but it will make OSU a bit cheaper.

So....thoughts?

Emergency!

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
It will make OSU a LOT cheaper (esp. compared to Case). I haven't looked at the figures recently, but Case's tuition alone used to be more than the entire cost of attendance at OSU.

I don't know much about Pitt, but Case and OSU both have very good reputations. In the Case vs OSU argument, does what Case have to offer make it worth the extra cost to you? No right or wrong answer, but that extra student loan debt really adds up.

Aug 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It will make OSU a LOT cheaper (esp. compared to Case). I haven't looked at the figures recently, but Case's tuition alone used to be more than the entire cost of attendance at OSU.
Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore. The difference in cost of attendance is ~20k per year, which is nothing to sneeze at, but not as bad as some private vs. state schools. Both Case and OSU are on the more expensive side for private and state schools respectively.

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
For me it'd be between Pitt and OSU. Case has great research opportunities, but I felt a little bit like I was walking through high school hallways. I also heard that you don't do many rotations through Cleveland Clinic, it's mostly through UH, which is by no means a slouch of a hospital, it's just a clarification that needs to be stated.

I loved Pitt AND OSU. I think the biggest difference is the atmosphere. If you want a collegetown feel, Columbus rocks. If you're ready for more of a city atmosphere, Pitt has that (in addition to a bit of a college feel, because after all, it is in Pittsburgh). It'd be a tossup between those two.

Congrats on the cycle, btw! I remember you from Pitt!

Reactions: JC10
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
For me it'd be between Pitt and OSU. Case has great research opportunities, but I felt a little bit like I was walking through high school hallways. I also heard that you don't do many rotations through Cleveland Clinic, it's mostly through UH, which is by no means a slouch of a hospital, it's just a clarification that needs to be stated.

I loved Pitt AND OSU. I think the biggest difference is the atmosphere. If you want a collegetown feel, Columbus rocks. If you're ready for more of a city atmosphere, Pitt has that (in addition to a bit of a college feel, because after all, it is in Pittsburgh). It'd be a tossup between those two.

Congrats on the cycle, btw! I remember you from Pitt!
Thanks for the input! We actually interviewed together at Case, not at Pitt, but I remember you as well!

JokerMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
it SEEMS like pitt has the best reputation of the bunch....

someone correct me if im wrong

SteinUmStein

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was very impressed with Pitt, I can't say anything about the other two, but I think Pitt offers a really terrific program, and UPMC has unbelievable opportunities. It's a powerhouse in many different areas, and Pitt med students are the only kids on the block, so to speak. ;) Good luck with your decision, all three are great schools!

Infinitydrop

5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I visited bouth pitt and Case. i have to say that pitt>case on all accounts.

1. case's always rainy lake weather is not plesant.
2. I think the town pitt is in is also much nicer
3. Pitt is a top 15 program
4. Pitt tends to give better aid
5. UPMC is awesome
6. You have to write 2 essays every week for case.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
I visited bouth pitt and Case. i have to say that pitt>case on all accounts.

1. case's always rainy lake weather is not plesant.
2. I think the town pitt is in is also much nicer
3. Pitt is a top 15 program
4. Pitt tends to give better aid
5. UPMC is awesome
6. You have to write 2 essays every week for case.
It's not always rainy. And no one writes essays at all unless your definition of 'essay' also extends to short (and I mean short) answer questions that happen to be called 'essay' questions, of which you have to answer one set.

Aug 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Sooooo...Case's Second Look weekend was fantastic, but I wasn't able to go to OSU's. Anybody have any information on how OSU's second look went?

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LTTP!

Good luck with the decision! I will abstain from the vote :), but I want to ask: which was your 'easiest' interview?

The way I look at it, the people interviewing you have a much broader perspective on what the culture of the school is and how you will 'fit in' to their particular program than you as an applicant can gauge just by a handful of hours with them.

Just curious about your decision, and I wish you the best of luck!

-vc7777

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh, and I should mention that Case has probably the finest reputation of supporting and accepting non-traditional and older student applicants. As you may know, they coined the term (years ago) "bent arrows". In fact, I just met at my second look a Case-trained doctor who returned to medicine in his early 40's. Just a minor fact.

TaylorMDhopeful

Here comes trouble!
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Oakland, PA
Status
Medical Student
Don't really know very much about OSU because I didn't apply there but between Pitt and Case (I interviewed at both schools) I would have to go with Pitt. I liked the atmosphere there. It was more big city than Case felt to me. My interviewer at Case (faculty, I liked my student interviewer) was really mean and sarcastic. I really liked my interviewers and the students that I met at Pitt. Pitt has a larger spectrum of facilities around Pennsylvania where they are the only students around. Best funded psych hospital in the country (if you are into that type of stuff). They are both strong schools and you probably wouldn't be limited at either one but I would go with Pittsburgh over Cleveland.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all, I'm in the fortunate position of having to choose between these schools, and I'm creating this thread primarily to see if people point out things about these schools that I hadn't thought about or considered. I will say, however, that I'm an Ohio resident. Staying in Ohio isn't important to me but it will make OSU a bit cheaper.

So....thoughts?
As much as I love Case, and as much as I would also like to see you come here, you should go to OSU. Follow the money, my friend. If saving that much money doesn't mean anything to you, then go to OSU and send the extra $80,000 to me. :p

BBender716, after all we've been through together, don't make me hunt you down and slap you for posting wrong things that you've heard. :mad: :smuggrin:

It's not true that UP students have to do their rotations mostly through UH. They can do their rotations at CCF or Metro just like we can. In case anyone missed my announcement in the other thread, it's also not true that CCLCM students have to do their rotations mostly through CCF. Case has three teaching hospitals (UH, CCF, and Metro) plus the VA. Students from ANY of the three Case programs (UP, CCLCM, and MSTP) can do their rotations at ANY of the three main Cleveland hospitals.

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
As much as I love Case, and as much as I would also like to see you come here, you should go to OSU. Follow the money, my friend. If saving that much money doesn't mean anything to you, then go to OSU and send the extra $80,000 to me. :p

BBender716, after all we've been through together, don't make me hunt you down and slap you for posting wrong things that you've heard. :mad: :smuggrin:

It's not true that UP students have to do their rotations mostly through UH. They can do their rotations at CCF or Metro just like we can. In case anyone missed my announcement in the other thread, it's also not true that CCLCM students have to do their rotations mostly through CCF. Case has three teaching hospitals (UH, CCF, and Metro) plus the VA. Students from ANY of the three Case programs (UP, CCLCM, and MSTP) can do their rotations at ANY of the three main Cleveland hospitals.
Hey CCLCMer! Sorry about that misinformation. I was just relaying what I heard from my student host at Case. He said that while you can enter the system with a preference to do rotations at Cleveland Clinic, it's not always doable and there's more rotations, in general, done at UH than the other hospitals. Alls I saying is don't link Case with Cleveland Clinic like UPitt with UPMC or the like. It's not the main hospital link. Not to say that rotations can't happen there or are even rare, just that it's not the main one.

Does that make more sense? lol Sorry 'bout that!

Eventually

10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Status
Pre-Medical
Sooooo...Case's Second Look weekend was fantastic, but I wasn't able to go to OSU's. Anybody have any information on how OSU's second look went?
Awesome! Loved every event and they really put in an effort to woo the applicants. Even the President showed up and spoke to us.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey CCLCMer! Sorry about that misinformation. I was just relaying what I heard from my student host at Case. He said that while you can enter the system with a preference to do rotations at Cleveland Clinic, it's not always doable and there's more rotations, in general, done at UH than the other hospitals. Alls I saying is don't link Case with Cleveland Clinic like UPitt with UPMC or the like. It's not the main hospital link. Not to say that rotations can't happen there or are even rare, just that it's not the main one.

Does that make more sense? lol Sorry 'bout that!
The way it works is that students give the registrar their top three preferences in terms of which hospital and which core they want to do for each block. He then tries to give everyone their top choice, or at least as many people as possible. So, while it's not always possible for everyone to get their top choice of location in the order they want and during the block they want, it IS possible to avoid rotating at UH if you are willing to be flexible about the timing. Or vice versa. But if something has to give, it doesn't have to be which hospital you rotate at.

So where have you been lately anyway? You never come visit us any more. :(

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
The way it works is that students give the registrar their top three preferences in terms of which hospital and which core they want to do for each block. He then tries to give everyone their top choice, or at least as many people as possible. So, while it's not always possible for everyone to get their top choice of location in the order they want and during the block they want, it IS possible to avoid rotating at UH if you are willing to be flexible about the timing. Or vice versa. But if something has to give, it doesn't have to be which hospital you rotate at.

So where have you been lately anyway? You never come visit us any more. :(
I haven't been around because I recently got engaged and my fiancée and I decided to stay put in Chicagoland for med school, and fortunately, I've had the opportunity to do so. So sadly, I've withdrawn from Case and everywhere else outside of Chicagoland. But I should still drop by for some serious eggplant!

...that is, if I'm still welcome. :oops:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I haven't been around because I recently got engaged and my fiancée and I decided to stay put in Chicagoland for med school, and fortunately, I've had the opportunity to do so. So sadly, I've withdrawn from Case and everywhere else outside of Chicagoland. But I should still drop by for some serious eggplant!

...that is, if I'm still welcome. :oops:
There's always extra eggplant right here waiting for you!

:'(

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bump...

You can never have enough of Case! :smuggrin:

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
It seems like every school vs school thread in SDN somehow involves Case.:confused:

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
It seems like every school vs school thread in SDN somehow involves Case.:confused:
There's a reason for that, but that reason is not me.:shifty:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:whistle:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LTTP, social networks aside...I am looking forward to 're-inventing myself' in med school. That is, moving away from everyone does have advanatges too. Like not feeling pressured to hang out with folks I really, really like when I shouldn't or feeling guilty when I don't.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LTTP!

What's the final word?! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.