This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Need more info. Is it a super competitive fellowship? How many spots do they have? For the fellowship program you speak of? Barely is also subjective is it 1-2/yr or some years none??

there are multiple programs like this. but, for example, cincinnati GI. Sure, it's a competitive fellowship, but only 1 out of their current 12-13 fellows (~4 fellows/year) came from the UC IM prgm.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably because GI fellowship is very competitive and Cincinnati IM isn't so the caliber of GI program cinci IM residents match to is probably lesser. That should be available to see where they have matched their residents to in GI. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a red flag though, can just be that there is a difference in the strength of the program comparatively. An example can be said the other way around. At my home institution almost no one stays for onc fellowship and GI only takes one per year. The former because it isn't as competitive an onc program and the latter because relative to the medicine program the strength of the GI fellowship is better.

Additionally I guess this could be viewed as a red flag if you were trying to do GI fellowship specifically at Cincinnati or a better program after (which may have been the basis for your question in the first place, sorry for long winded answer)

^agree. individual residency performance/initiative also plays a significant role. you get out of residency what you put into it.

From cincy's recent 2017 match list, 2 matched to Penn and UChicago GI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I've read many of the threads comparing and contrasting several of the DMV programs. However, there have not been many recent threads. Considering that many programs have new PDs and have evolved, I would appreciate some insight into some specific programs (GTown, GWU, Inova, Hopkins Bayview).

Thanks!

University of Mississippi
University of Nebraska
University of Oklahoma

^ Trying to decide to between these 3. Also recently got an interview at the University of Kentucky (don't know if I'm going to keep it).

Does anyone have info on these programs?

University of Mississippi
University of Nebraska
University of Oklahoma

^ Trying to decide to between these 3. Also recently got an interview at the University of Kentucky (don't know if I'm going to keep it).

Does anyone have info on these programs?
What do you mean by "decide". Interview? Rank? Apply next year?

Saw a post over 10 years ago comparing the LA internal medicine (IM) programs, thought would give my 2 cents now that many things have changed...

Original post in 2007 by bonovox...

"Hey, how do these UCLA affiliates compare in terms of:
1. Clinical training
2. Reputation
3. Location
4. "Malignant" or not
5. Fellowship placement (particularly cards)
6. Anything else that would make one choose one over the other two."

Here are your top 2 residency programs in LA.

UCLA-Olive View
1. No doubt the most outstanding clinical training programs of all IM residency in LA, most notably for its horizontal, friendly learning environment. Underserved focused in County training environment. (20-30% clinical experience on MICU/CCU/Wards/Geriatrics at sister institutions at UCLA Ronald Reagan and the VA)
2. A UCLA program
3. Sylmar, California. Beautiful hiking trails and basketball court around campus site. Surprisingly hole-in-the-wall restaurants around the cities from campus. Zen room with free massage for residents/faculty definite a plus.
4. Malignant level - 6-7/10, good balance between life-style and true residency training
5. Outstanding match - mostly intramural at UCLA
6. If you are interest to become master clinician, change leaders for healthcare disparity, UCLA Olive View is your ideal residency in LA

UCLA-Ronald Reagan
1. No doubt the most outstanding physician scientist training programs of all IM residency in LA, most notably for its academic, University based training. Has VA affiliation. (20-30% clinical experience on Wards/Urgent Care at sister institution at UCLA Olive View)
2. A UCLA program
3. Westwood, California. Westwood and close by cities is awesome for everything from nightlife, food, etc. Most expensive place to live in however among all LA residency training programs.
4. Malignant level - 8-9/10, it's residency.... life is tough...
5. Outstanding match - mostly intramural at UCLA
6. If you are interested to become leaders as physician scientist, be involved in cutting edge research, UCLA Ronald Reagan is your ideal residency in LA

Harbor UCLA - arguably the best County training programs 30 years ago, but the pendulum may have shifted to UCLA-Olive View. Harbor is no longer a UCLA affiliated program, a pure County hospital that is transitioning from a chaotic past. Still very solid clinical training. Malignant level 9-10/10

Other notable LA programs:
Cedars Sinai
- A very good medicine residency program, notable for its cardiology and transplant department. No longer affiliated with the VA as UCLA programs took over the training ground. Malignant level 4-5/10
Kaiser LA - Excellence healthcare system, good training. arguably the most life-style oriented program. Malignant level 3-4/10
USC - A very good medicine residency program, notably for its underserved County focused. Has a very strong ER residency presence. Malignant level 6-10/10
I'd like to like this post twice. Once for the detail and once for a necrobump reference to bonovox. He was good people.

Does anyone know of any programs off the top of your head that have 401(k) benefits that will match your contribution?

Thank you all for your comments. Please tell me how is suny downstate IM program. I know I have read lots of negative things about it. Is it worse than queens hospital mount sinai too?
Anyone? I got good vibes from Queens. It's well organized too. Recent fellowship matches are good as well. Suny accreditation has some warnings. Please I really appreciate feedback.

Anyone? I got good vibes from Queens. It's well organized too. Recent fellowship matches are good as well. Suny accreditation has some warnings. Please I really appreciate feedback.
I was a student there (more than 10 years ago now). I didn't even apply.

It's definitely better than not matching though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a student there (more than 10 years ago now). I didn't even apply.

It's definitely better than not matching though.
Thank you so much for your reply gutonc. I really appreciate your opinion. Any idea about Mount Sinai Queens program?
Again thanks a lot!

Thank you so much for your reply gutonc. I really appreciate your opinion. Any idea about Mount Sinai Queens program?
Again thanks a lot!
I hear it's in Queens. And they have an affiliation with Mt. Sinai that will make your grandma proud but will have no actual impact on your training.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know anything about

University of Kentucky
Univ of Nebraska
Univ of Oklahoma
Univ of Mississippi

Why is Mayo Rochester not considered a top tier program?
I mean Mayo Clinic is the ranked the best hospital in the country and it seems like there would be good attendings to teach. I understand the location is not desirable to say the least, but any other reasons?

I mean Mayo Clinic is the ranked the best hospital in the country and it seems like there would be good attendings to teach. I understand the location is not desirable to say the least, but any other reasons?

who told you it wasn't top tier? it's a quality training program with excellent faculty. there are multiple posts in this forum answering/debating your exact question, but to summarize:
-^this affects your pt demographics, which in turn affects the pathology you see (generally). however, mayo serves pts from all over the world paying to fly over there and be seen. but it's no county hospital.
-similar to CCF, mayo is more known for its outstanding fellowships. many pts come to mayo for specialty-specific care. does this shortchange the IM training you receive? you'll hear from both sides of the fence. nevertheless, you should end up as a competent and proficient internist after 3 yrs (probably more-so than CCF IM, which has more of a consensus for not being 'top-tier').

It's a solid program, but doesn't really live up to the hospitals tall reputation, which maybe makes it easier to be more critical of the program. Compared to other programs, it seemed rather cush and the autonomy was questionable.

I had a question regarding OHSU. Looking at the fellowship match list, only ~50% of residents pursue fellowship. It seems a bit lower than similar programs which usually have ~70% going into fellowship. I have heard that OHSU seems to put an emphasis on primary care and general internal medicine, which I assume contributes to this. But can anyone comment on the fellowship guidance at OHSU? Are there enough opportunities to pursue research both in terms of finding a good mentor and if residents find enough time to dedicate to research?

I had a question regarding OHSU. Looking at the fellowship match list, only ~50% of residents pursue fellowship. It seems a bit lower than similar programs which usually have ~70% going into fellowship. I have heard that OHSU seems to put an emphasis on primary care and general internal medicine, which I assume contributes to this. But can anyone comment on the fellowship guidance at OHSU? Are there enough opportunities to pursue research both in terms of finding a good mentor and if residents find enough time to dedicate to research?
It's been a few years for me, but, at least in my area (oncology) and cards, the mentorship and research opportunities have blossomed in the past 4-5 years.

OHSU's program is very "Gen Med" focused so, if you come in undifferentiated, you're likely to leave as a generalist. If you come in focused on a particular sub-specialty, you should have no trouble finding appropriate mentorship and research opportunities.

In the 3 or so years that I was paying attention, there were only 2 residents that didn't match their first time. One was a GI applicant who didn't start his research/mentoring until the end of PGY2. He matched just fine as an R3 (back in the old system) and did hospitalist work for a year. The other was a sub-par resident with sub-par research who did a suicide match. She wound up badgering her research mentor to fund a spot for her out of his R01 which he somehow managed to do. Worst fellow I've ever worked with and ecstatic to not have to deal with her anymore (but I still have PTSD 6 years later).

Reactions: 2 users
Please help rank these. Hoping to pursue a Cards fellowship, no location preference. Thank you.

VCU, Wake, UMaryland, Penn State, U of Rochester, U of Buffalo, Cinci, CCF, MetroHealth

Please help rank these. Hoping to pursue a Cards fellowship, no location preference. Thank you.

VCU, Wake, UMaryland, Penn State, U of Rochester, U of Buffalo, Cinci, CCF, MetroHealth

Dude...there's a thread for this. Use it. Also, put them in the order you like them.

Does anyone have information about the program at UC-Northshore in Evanston? I can't seem to find a resident roster online, which sounds like a red flag...

What's the scoop on Cedars-Sinai in LA? I've talked to people who have interviewed there who say that the clinical volume is too low to be a good program, that the patients tend to be low-acuity, and that residents don't get many procedures. Every year they match people into some of the top fellowships in the country though. I'm interested in pulm/crit, possibly cards or GI.

What's the scoop on Cedars-Sinai in LA? I've talked to people who have interviewed there who say that the clinical volume is too low to be a good program, that the patients tend to be low-acuity, and that residents don't get many procedures. Every year they match people into some of the top fellowships in the country though. I'm interested in pulm/crit, possibly cards or GI.

That aligns with the feeling I got. Residents keep matching every year in good fellowships, but don't get the kind of confidence in general medicine that others get through autonomy and volume. Very much seemed to be a fellow and attending driven hospital and program. So I guess it depends what you're looking for. The residents are happy, location is good, and the post-residency opportunities are strong. I wasn't personally sold because I think I'll learn better in an environment where there are higher expectations from the residents.

That aligns with the feeling I got. Residents keep matching every year in good fellowships, but don't get the kind of confidence in general medicine that others get through autonomy and volume. Very much seemed to be a fellow and attending driven hospital and program. So I guess it depends what you're looking for. The residents are happy, location is good, and the post-residency opportunities are strong. I wasn't personally sold because I think I'll learn better in an environment where there are higher expectations from the residents.

Thanks for the reply! That's so hard to reconcile for me. If you were a fellowship PD at a busy, high-acuity hospital, wouldn't you want to take fellows that have already proven they can handle volume and acuity? Or do fellowship PDs know something about Cedars that residency applicants don't?

Can anyone comment on USF-Tampa vs Wake Forest? Both seem like phenomenal programs, so I'm curious if anyone has any insight on whether one actually provides better training than the other. Or, are they pretty much both similar?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can anyone comment on USF-Tampa vs Wake Forest? Both seem like phenomenal programs, so I'm curious if anyone has any insight on whether one actually provides better training than the other. Or, are they pretty much both similar?

Wake > USF

Was hoping the opposite since I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Tampa.

Go with your gut where you think you'd be happiest. I think both are really roughly about equal in prestige, both are great programs with good match rates overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Was hoping the opposite since I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Tampa.

I agree with houseathome. Personally, I would choose USF over wake on personal preference.

Hey ! Can anyone comment on IM Residency at UC Denver? Camaraderie between residents? Didactics? Supportive attendings? Work hours and call ? Interim PD? Experience switching between all the hospitals? Thank you .

Hey ! Can anyone comment on IM Residency at UC Denver? Camaraderie between residents? Didactics? Supportive attendings? Work hours and call ? Interim PD? Experience switching between all the hospitals? Thank you .
I am personally staying away from this program. To me, residents didn't seem particularly happy or close with one another (geographic spread of hospitals and thus housing locations probably doesn't help). Interim PD situation was weird. And their chair of IM was involved in some scandal a while back where he misused government funds. Knowing this, they still hired him and rewarded him by promoting him to chair. Not sure I would fit in this culture.

Last edited:
what is the national reputation of UCLA with regards to fellowship opportunity (such as pulm/crit, cards, gi)? it's hard to judge by their fellowship match list (http://www.imresidency.med.ucla.edu/fellowship.html), which is truly bizarre in that nearly everyone ends up staying there, moreso than any other program i've looked at.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody take notes on St. Louis University? I was wondering about the facilities and what EMR?

Can anyone comment on NYMC Westchester Med IM program? There doesn't seem to be much anywhere about it

Hi,

Could anyone answer a few questions about Jefferson? Thank you!

1. How do you compare it to IM at Montefiore and University of Rochester?
2. Can a resident or someone who interviewed there recently, post their fellowship match list for this season?
3. How do residents feel about the program?

Thank you!!

The tough task of putting together the ROL now begins...any comments/insight/feedback on this order???
Really torn on how to Rank 1, 2, and 3...

1 MCW Milwaukee
2 U Nebraska
3 U Kentucky
4 U Conn
5 U Tennessee Knoxville
6 Creighton
7 Drexel
8 LSU Baton Rouge
9 WVU
10 Va Tech Carilion Clinic

The tough task of putting together the ROL now begins...any comments/insight/feedback on this order???
Really torn on how to Rank 1, 2, and 3...

1 MCW Milwaukee
2 U Nebraska
3 U Kentucky
4 U Conn
5 U Tennessee Knoxville
6 Creighton
7 Drexel
8 LSU Baton Rouge
9 WVU
10 Va Tech Carilion Clinic

I would bump UK higher and Drexel too. I think WVU and VTC are fine where they are. Heard mixed things about Creighton so would at least place Drexel higher. Overall, lots of good choices. I think your top 4 are fine.

I would bump UK higher and Drexel too. I think WVU and VTC are fine where they are. Heard mixed things about Creighton so would at least place Drexel higher. Overall, lots of good choices. I think your top 4 are fine.

Thanks! I thought the program at Drexel was very solid...but it's HUGE and the hospital is "outdated"...apparently Tenet is trying to sell the University Hospital and aren't doing much to maintain things... But also have heard some unsettling things about Creighton...so maybe I'll switch Creighton and Drexel

I think UNMC and UK are very much same tier programs, in similar style cities...Is that accurate?

what is the national reputation of UCLA with regards to fellowship opportunity (such as pulm/crit, cards, gi)? it's hard to judge by their fellowship match list (http://www.imresidency.med.ucla.edu/fellowship.html), which is truly bizarre in that nearly everyone ends up staying there, moreso than any other program i've looked at.

People who go to LA love LA. That's it. It's the top medicine program in LA, and if they wanted to match elsewhere, they could. You can probably see from the match list that many did.

Can anyone speak on Cooper? I am very interested in the region of the country due to family ties, but wasn't quite sure about the overall reputation since it's a newer program. Specifically, how does it compare to the other Philly/Jersey programs?