This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys/gals

Any thoughts on RWJ vs Temple vs Drexel vs Stony vs Downstate Vs CCF.
Interested in best IM training, fellowship match, reputation, post residency job ops.
All feedback welcomed and appreciated

Thanks
RWJ~CCF>Temple=Stony Brook >Drexel >Seriously Don't Even Bother

I say that as a graduate of Seriously Don't Even Bother.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone shed light on Northwestern vs. University of Chicago IM programs? I'm particularly interested in competitive fellowships and was wondering if either program prepared its residents better.

Could anyone shed light on Northwestern vs. University of Chicago IM programs? I'm particularly interested in competitive fellowships and was wondering if either program prepared its residents better.
Not really from a clinical standpoint. You'll be fine coming from either of them.

Either will land you the same fellowship but UofC probably has the more rigorous clinical training by report. So better "prepared" - maybe. All depends on what you want to be "prepared" for.

Can anyone comment on these East Coast programs:
URochester, Montefiore, RWJ, Jefferson, UMaryland, USF, UofMiami
I'm interested primarily in Cards and Pulm/CC

Thoughts about Penn vs. Michigan vs. Vanderbilt? I know they're all great places, but how (other then location) would you differentiate between them. Interested in hospital med or pulm/cc

Thoughts about Penn vs. Michigan vs. Vanderbilt? I know they're all great places, but how (other then location) would you differentiate between them. Interested in hospital med or pulm/cc

I wouldn't differentiate between them. Go with your gut.

Any thoughts between Mayo Clinic (Rochester) vs UTSW vs Yale vs UofChicago vs Boston...considering location is not an issue. Goal is fellowship like Cards/GI/Heme-Onc.

Any thoughts between Mayo Clinic (Rochester) vs UTSW vs Yale vs UofChicago vs Boston...considering location is not an issue. Goal is fellowship like Cards/GI/Heme-Onc.
If your goal is to "future proof" your career:
Real Mayo =UTSW=UChicago>Yale>BU

That said, it's not like you're not going to get a fellowship coming from any of those places. Match at any of them and it will be you, not the program, that messes up any chance of matching in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to "future proof" your career:
Real Mayo =UTSW=UChicago>Yale>BU

That said, it's not like you're not going to get a fellowship coming from any of those places. Match at any of them and it will be you, not the program, that messes up any chance of matching in the future.

Thanks, you just made making my rank list that much easier...

What similarity is there between cards, heme/onc, and GI, other than the fact that these three are the highest paid subspecialties coming out of medicine?

I hate to judge, but I do. :)

Ha! While I think there is a bit of a "cardiologist" in anyone doing IM, I catch your point . . . it's hard not to cynically follow the dollar signs sometimes. I found hepatology and inflammatory bowel disease to the only interesting aspect to GI, but only in the abstract, I can't stand those patient populations in real life and neither can anyone else, which is why everyone wants to scope and why I ruled out GI based on not finding all the scoping that interesting. And heme/onc I found much to disingenuous personally. I just can't sell hope when I'm such a cynic and realist, but there isn't too much I admire more than a good heme/onc physician, one who can balance it all, the hope, the realism, effective communication and interaction with family and consultants, all the while maintaining sanity, dignity, and humanity - a select few of these guys are real heros. And cardiology turned me off not so much by the specialty but largely by the people in my residency who wanted to do it, gunners make me want to choke someone

Reactions: 1 users
I know this was asked in previous years, but hoping to get a more recent perspective. Debating whether or not to go to the interview. Anyone a current resident at MetroHealth that can comment on their experience? Thanks

Can anyone comment on U of Indiana's program?
It's my last interview scheduled and I'm debating whether or not to keep it.
I'm from the northeast and have no real connections to the midwest, just applied on a whim because I've read here that it has a pretty strong reputation nationally. I'm interested in Cards and Pulm/CC, and I know they have a strong Cards fellowship but it doesn't seem (from last year's match list) that they take many in-house.
Can anyone comment on the friendliness/collegiality, strength of clinical training, opportunities for research, etc.
Thanks

Can anyone comment on U of Indiana's program?
It's my last interview scheduled and I'm debating whether or not to keep it.
I'm from the northeast and have no real connections to the midwest, just applied on a whim because I've read here that it has a pretty strong reputation nationally. I'm interested in Cards and Pulm/CC, and I know they have a strong Cards fellowship but it doesn't seem (from last year's match list) that they take many in-house.
Can anyone comment on the friendliness/collegiality, strength of clinical training, opportunities for research, etc.
Thanks

I visited the program about 2 weeks ago. This program definitely has some of that midwest charm. Residents were got a long with each other really well and were pretty positive about the program though they did admit that interns work hard in the program. The program director is somewhat lol, but in a good way. he came in with a bright neon green shirt and green sneakers. He peppered the talk with some profanity, and residents say thats how he is :p. They have a completely new county hospital that residents just started working in about 2 weeks ago. I got the sense that it is definitely a program where you would come out clinically strong.

I will list the cardio and pulm matches as thats what you wanted. I dont know if the list is "strong" because I dunno how to evaluate these :)

Cardio
LSU, Cinci, Milwaukee, Tulane, USF, Ukansas, IndianaU

Pulm
Indiana U x 5 , Wash U, wake forest

I visited the program about 2 weeks ago. This program definitely has some of that midwest charm. Residents were got a long with each other really well and were pretty positive about the program though they did admit that interns work hard in the program. The program director is somewhat lol, but in a good way. he came in with a bright neon green shirt and green sneakers. He peppered the talk with some profanity, and residents say thats how he is :p. They have a completely new county hospital that residents just started working in about 2 weeks ago. I got the sense that it is definitely a program where you would come out clinically strong.

I will list the cardio and pulm matches as thats what you wanted. I dont know if the list is "strong" because I dunno how to evaluate these :)

Cardio
LSU, Cinci, Milwaukee, Tulane, USF, Ukansas, IndianaU

Pulm
Indiana U x 5 , Wash U, wake forest

It's a solid enough pulm match. Let me give you context: Indy's pulm has a solid reputation nationally, so it doesn't surprise me that many wanted to stay, they also like their own for pulm at Indy which should be obvious (also making it more than a little difficult to land a spot there from outside!) Thing to remember about people that tend to stay in the midwest - they do because they prefer the midwest, and often have family ties. So it's not a "knock" to see lots of people stay at their own fellowship programs in these midteir IM departments. Wake's another really great pulm/crit program where I did interview. Wash U is a top 10 spot for pulm crit.

It's a solid enough pulm match. Let me give you context: Indy's pulm has a solid reputation nationally, so it doesn't surprise me that many wanted to stay, they also like their own for pulm at Indy which should be obvious (also making it more than a little difficult to land a spot there from outside!) Thing to remember about people that tend to stay in the midwest - they do because they prefer the midwest, and often have family ties. So it's not a "knock" to see lots of people stay at their own fellowship programs in these midteir IM departments. Wake's another really great pulm/crit program where I did interview. Wash U is a top 10 spot for pulm crit.

good point. I can definitely see why people would want to stay in the midwest. totally loving the culture and appreciating the coa difference. imo he should visit IU. Indianapolis is a great city for people who love sports and they got this weird war museum in downtown where they have horses parade around the circle at 5pm 365 days a year.

Does anybody have information on FAU (Florida Atlantic) College of Medicine?

• :highfive: Hi All. Would love some input on the following programs in the Philly/NJ area. Considering subspeciality training (although not Cards/GI) so would appreciate any info on how these programs compare in terms of quality, reputation, and fellowship placement, etc:

• Temple
  • Albert Einstein -philly
  • Drexel
  • RWJ
  • Cooper
  • Penn state/Hershey
  • Lankenau
  • Pennsylvania
  • Christiana
  • Lehigh Valley

Thanks in advance!!!

I have a question about PC track vs. Categorical. I recently interviewed at a program for which I applied to both. During the interview day, I realized that I was essentially being interviewed for the PC track (lunch with the PD, both interviews with PC attendings). I wanted to ask you guys first of all, am I still in consideration for categorical (can I rank it still)? And my second question is, am I at a disadvantage for doing categorical since I interviewed basically with the PC track. Thank you for your help!

I have a question about PC track vs. Categorical. I recently interviewed at a program for which I applied to both. During the interview day, I realized that I was essentially being interviewed for the PC track (lunch with the PD, both interviews with PC attendings). I wanted to ask you guys first of all, am I still in consideration for categorical (can I rank it still)? And my second question is, am I at a disadvantage for doing categorical since I interviewed basically with the PC track. Thank you for your help!

Do you really want to do primary care? Or are you trying to back door into a more competitive residency and actually are planning a fellowship?

Do you really want to do primary care? Or are you trying to back door into a more competitive residency and actually are planning a fellowship?

I was 50/50 when I applied, but I am now leaning towards specializing. And even though this is a great program, I would not go if it was with the PC track (so no, not trying to back door into a more competitive residency). I just want to know if I am still in consideration for categorical (if I can still rank it) and am I at a disadvantage now?

you are not considered for the categorical track but you can specialize if you go through the PC track.

you are not considered for the categorical track but you can specialize if you go through the PC track.

So I am guessing I was rejected from the categorical because I got the PC interview and not categorical? That seems really strange to me. I likely won't go to this program now, but thanks for the information.

Would it hurt to ask? Honest question. Even if you don't want to mess up your relationship with them for the PC spot, I don't think that choosing to do a PC residency precludes you from applying to fellowships. It would be be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to rank the cat program due to a misunderstanding. And, maybe I'm missing something, but I think communicating with them to clarify would show that you are genuinely interested in being there one way or the other.

Would it hurt to ask? Honest question. Even if you don't want to mess up your relationship with them for the PC spot, I don't think that choosing to do a PC residency precludes you from applying to fellowships. It would be be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to rank the cat program due to a misunderstanding. And, maybe I'm missing something, but I think communicating with them to clarify would show that you are genuinely interested in being there one way or the other.

Thank you for your help. Yes, I will clarify with them or my dean. I still find it hard to believe that I would not be able to rank the cat program, because I feel as though the program should then specifically state in the interview invite email that I was interviewing for the PC track.

Um, I don't think this is true at all. A lot of PC / cat combined interviews are one day and you spend all your time with PC faculty (but are still considered for both).

I don't know if it affects (or if it's an indicator of) your competitiveness for the cat program though

Last edited:
Hello all, I hope everyone is having a good match season it has been pretty hard this year round, so good luck to everyone !

I have recieved an interview from Coney Island recently I know it's a little late but hell I'll take it. If anyone has any thing they can share about the interview that will be a great help. I look forward to hearing from all of you! Happy holidays and merry christmas

Hey I'm a DO 4th year from LECOM in Erie. Kind of a strange "compare these" question for you guys: Having trouble ranking UCONN vs Pennsy (Penn community program). I'll brain dump all the info I've tried to gather...

Rotated through both, loved both. I like to do research, have done quite a bit, and I know I'd have no problem finding research at UCONN or going over to UPenn to hook up with research. My goal is to end up at a strong Cardiology program. My dilemma is: Do I go to a University program (UCONN) that has 7 in-house cardio spots per year with excellent in-house placement, or do I go to the Community program (pennsy) that may as well be University IMO due to the option of reaping UPENN research opportunities and rubbing elbows with the muckety-muck letter writers.

Fellow placement:

Both have placed cardio in the past.
Uconn: obviously heavily into its own program but also into
Albany
Einstein phily
Baylor
Baystate
Christiana
Geinsinger
Haneman
Jackson mem. florida
NYH queens
NY methodist
UMASS
Ochsner
SUNY
U of Miami alabama hawaii michigan tennessee
wash U st. louis.

Pennsy, doesnt have its own fellowship, placed into:
Emory(not since '06 but a few times)
Rush
U of Nebraska
Mount Sinai Florida
U of Florida
U South Florida
Einstein phila
Uconn
U iowa.

I personally think they are phenomenal programs each in their own way. I was hoping to get any insight on how you would approach ranking these two if the goal is great IM training and ultimately Cardio placement. I would also love any insight into the strengths of any of those Cardio programs that residents from each program have gone to since I'm not sure at this point in my career how to appropriately compare them.

I'm already at the stage of ranking, i.e. not in a position to add any programs haha so please do not suggest I get a 280 step 1, nobel prize, match as the first DO in the Osler program to improve my cardio chances. Thank you so much for any insight. Love you all, good luck in the match.

-Pootie Tang

Hey I'm a DO 4th year from LECOM in Erie. Kind of a strange "compare these" question for you guys: Having trouble ranking UCONN vs Pennsy (Penn community program). I'll brain dump all the info I've tried to gather...

Rotated through both, loved both. I like to do research, have done quite a bit, and I know I'd have no problem finding research at UCONN or going over to UPenn to hook up with research. My goal is to end up at a strong Cardiology program. My dilemma is: Do I go to a University program (UCONN) that has 7 in-house cardio spots per year with excellent in-house placement, or do I go to the Community program (pennsy) that may as well be University IMO due to the option of reaping UPENN research opportunities and rubbing elbows with the muckety-muck letter writers.

Fellow placement:

Both have placed cardio in the past.
Uconn: obviously heavily into its own program but also into
Albany
Einstein phily
Baylor
Baystate
Christiana
Geinsinger
Haneman
Jackson mem. florida
NYH queens
NY methodist
UMASS
Ochsner
SUNY
U of Miami alabama hawaii michigan tennessee
wash U st. louis.

Pennsy, doesnt have its own fellowship, placed into:
Emory(not since '06 but a few times)
Rush
U of Nebraska
Mount Sinai Florida
U of Florida
U South Florida
Einstein phila
Uconn
U iowa.

I personally think they are phenomenal programs each in their own way. I was hoping to get any insight on how you would approach ranking these two if the goal is great IM training and ultimately Cardio placement. I would also love any insight into the strengths of any of those Cardio programs that residents from each program have gone to since I'm not sure at this point in my career how to appropriately compare them.

I'm already at the stage of ranking, i.e. not in a position to add any programs haha so please do not suggest I get a 280 step 1, nobel prize, match as the first DO in the Osler program to improve my cardio chances. Thank you so much for any insight. Love you all, good luck in the match.

-Pootie Tang

Dear Pootie Tang,

I would take Uconn. The Pennsy match is not that competitive. You need to ensure that you have access to at least one program (ie your own). Also, the Pennsy match list for cards is not that awesome. Just my opinion.

How would you all compare Mt. Sinai and UCSD? Residents at both programs seemed very happy (maybe a little more down to earth at Sinai). People here on SDN seem to be saying that Sinai doesn't give the residents as much autonomy as maybe some other programs and that the program leadership is sub-par, yet I hear others talk about ranking it higher than Columbia, Cornell, etc. With regard to SD, I was fairly impressed when I interviewed, but an ortho resident at my home institution who went there for med school says the surgery program there is straight up malignant, which makes me wonder if that same spirit is present in the IM program as well (though I did not get that impression when I interviewed).

I'm interested in either Cards or Pulm/CC. Match lists for both seemed relatively similar in terms of quality (Sinai maybe slightly better).

Appreciate any input, thanks.

How would you all compare Mt. Sinai and UCSD? Residents at both programs seemed very happy (maybe a little more down to earth at Sinai). People here on SDN seem to be saying that Sinai doesn't give the residents as much autonomy as maybe some other programs and that the program leadership is sub-par, yet I hear others talk about ranking it higher than Columbia, Cornell, etc. With regard to SD, I was fairly impressed when I interviewed, but an ortho resident at my home institution who went there for med school says the surgery program there is straight up malignant, which makes me wonder if that same spirit is present in the IM program as well (though I did not get that impression when I interviewed).

I'm interested in either Cards or Pulm/CC. Match lists for both seemed relatively similar in terms of quality (Sinai maybe slightly better).

Appreciate any input, thanks.

I would personally choose UCSD. My friend who went there for IM loved it (n=1, but I never heard any complaints about malignancy and she is pretty laid back). MSSM is simply not a stronger program than Cornell, and definitely not stronger than Columbia (but it is still a strong program). Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either.

This is not a ranking request - but my impression of the general academic reputation of these programs from what's been said on these forums. Could you give me your opinion on this order as a tool for me in my ranking? I'm ultimately interested in h/o or pulm/cc.

Rough tiers:

1) UTSW > Emory
2 )Baylor > Colorado
3)Brown > OSU > Case > USC > Indy
4) Cincy > UIC > Loyola

Thanks Niviancer an jdh71!
Great advice!
If I may ask, excuse my naivete, what makes it difficult to land a fellowship from some programs (excluding the obvious benefit of having a home program). It would seem to me that the simplified equation should be:
Good enough training to be competent + ability to publish quality + letter from known physician in field = an interview = hopefully match
Now, i understand supply demand and that it is competitive, but I would have placed the weight of the measure of an applicant on the quality of research and quality of letter more so than reputation of program or "university/university affil." designation (which seems to me the means to an end ->research, and not an important factor in and of itself).
Is that where my misunderstanding is - that reputation/match history/university designation, are more important factors?
Thank you very much for your time guys, and merry christmas.

Thanks Niviancer an jdh71!
Great advice!
If I may ask, excuse my naivete, what makes it difficult to land a fellowship from some programs (excluding the obvious benefit of having a home program). It would seem to me that the simplified equation should be:
Good enough training to be competent + ability to publish quality + letter from known physician in field = an interview = hopefully match
Now, i understand supply demand and that it is competitive, but I would have placed the weight of the measure of an applicant on the quality of research and quality of letter more so than reputation of program or "university/university affil." designation (which seems to me the means to an end ->research, and not an important factor in and of itself).
Is that where my misunderstanding is - that reputation/match history/university designation, are more important factors?
Thank you very much for your time guys, and merry christmas.

They are all very important factors, but certainly the reputation of your residency program will often make a big mark. Not to mention playing this game with a D.O. behind your name will be handicapping to start.
Source: I am a D.O.

I am interested in the IM program at Northside and I interviewed here. I am ultimately interested in Cardiology and I like this location because of the availability of fellowship positions. Does anyone have any opinions on the residency or has anyone rotated here that has thoughts on the program? It's small but the residents seem to see/do a lot since it is unopposed. Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone during interview season.

Is it smart/ok to ask the program coordinator for the name of your interviewers 2 weeks before the actual interview?
Do they actually have the names by that time point and do they tell you?

Is it smart/ok to ask the program coordinator for the name of your interviewers 2 weeks before the actual interview?

Residency interviews are MUCH more informal than fellowship interviews (well, other than the MGH panel interview). I would just google your interviewers from your phone when you get your schedule. This will give you a quick look at their publications/areas of interest that you can use as a talking point if you happen to share a similar interest.

Some will, some won't. It doesn't (usually) hurt to ask.

They may or may not have the names confirmed by then. And even if they do, they will likely not share that with you until the morning of the interview. Most interview confirmation email/program website state that. So, my thought is you are not going to gain much by emailing PC to ask them about interviewers name.

Residency interviews are MUCH more informal than fellowship interviews (well, other than the MGH panel interview). I would just google your interviewers from your phone when you get your schedule. This will give you a quick look at their publications/areas of interest that you can use as a talking point if you happen to share a similar interest.

I didn't think fellowship interviews were any more formal than residency interview.