RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. I figured they were probably at least above the 80% mark or we probably would have heard about it by now (since schools and the AAVMC/AVMA COE have presumably known final graduating class NAVLE results since around June) but figured I was having a hard time navigating their website or something.
Yeah I don't think the school has officially posted it anywhere. I wasn't able to find it either.
Neither was I. I checked a couple days ago with no luck

Members don't see this ad.

A teaching hospital is like high school with all of the gossip. :bang:

Reactions: 2 users
I struggle with intermittent insomnia. Tonight is one of those nights. I generally go to bed between 9 and 10 and get up at 5. Last night I went to bed around 9... and woke up at midnight. At 2, I gave up on the thought of more sleep. It's now quarter to 3. Tomorrow... or I guess it's today... is going to suck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I struggle with intermittent insomnia. Tonight is one of those nights. I generally go to bed between 9 and 10 and get up at 5. Last night I went to bed around 9... and woke up at midnight. At 2, I gave up on the thought of more sleep. It's now quarter to 3. Tomorrow... or I guess it's today... is going to suck!
I had a bad night last night too. One of those nights where you toss and turn so much that even though you probably did sleep some, it felt like you never did fully go to sleep. Then rolled over to look at my phone, so certain I was going to luck out with like 4 more hours left to sleep.... three minutes before my alarm. FML.

I had a bad night last night too. One of those nights where you toss and turn so much that even though you probably did sleep some, it felt like you never did fully go to sleep. Then rolled over to look at my phone, so certain I was going to luck out with like 4 more hours left to sleep.... three minutes before my alarm. FML.
Must have been something in the air last night because I did the same thing. All night long. And then I looked at the clock and it was 7:24 and I had to be up at 7:30 :(

Reactions: 1 user
@WeimMama & @cowgirla sorry you guys can't sleep either! I actually skipped CP yesterday and came home for a nap. I don't nap, but desperate times.... Last night was better... I hope for the two of you as well!

@WeimMama & @cowgirla sorry you guys can't sleep either! I actually skipped CP yesterday and came home for a nap. I don't nap, but desperate times.... Last night was better... I hope for the two of you as well!
It was way better and I also made myself go to the gym yesterday for the first time in a few weeks to make sure I was good and tired

Getting real bummed out regarding shadowing at local clinics. I'm currently out of my home state for a while (long story short: taking advantage of the time between undergrad and vet school to live with normally LDR boyfriend). BUT I digress - I've been here (Southern Maryland) since mid May, and a week or two into coming here I reached out to every vet clinic within a 30 minute drive. I called each one, all 8? 9? of them, and either got direct no's, or was just never called back. Then I called these places again a week later to follow up and... nope, nothing.

So I give it some time, go home for a couple blocks of time (2, and then 4 weeks) to work under an equine vet who I adore. I came back to MD a few weeks ago and spent this and last week again reaching out to places. I changed my tactic, kept the request short, only proposed a day/half day of shadowing, if that would be okay! First two clinics said no due to liability, which I understand... it's now 5? days later and still no response from the rest of the clinics. :(

I called the rest, as the walk-in experience I had was a shot in the dark as far as whether or not the practice manager was in. But I'm again at the point of asking if I should give up and leave these poor clinics alone??

I'm stressed because I'm in the middle of waiting for applications, and worrying already about next year's apps. My biggest weakness is my relative lack of vet shadow hours, and so I WANT to beef those numbers up! I have a bunch of shelter med and equine experience, but I want/need some in a clinic-clinic.

And just to add to this big wordblock of frustration is I would apply to actual vet-tech esque jobs, but my biggest road bloack THERE is that I would only be able to work for 9 months if I'm accepted!

fjsdlfjlsd what do

giphy.gif

Getting real bummed out regarding shadowing at local clinics. I'm currently out of my home state for a while (long story short: taking advantage of the time between undergrad and vet school to live with normally LDR boyfriend). BUT I digress - I've been here (Southern Maryland) since mid May, and a week or two into coming here I reached out to every vet clinic within a 30 minute drive. I called each one, all 8? 9? of them, and either got direct no's, or was just never called back. Then I called these places again a week later to follow up and... nope, nothing.

So I give it some time, go home for a couple blocks of time (2, and then 4 weeks) to work under an equine vet who I adore. I came back to MD a few weeks ago and spent this and last week again reaching out to places. I changed my tactic, kept the request short, only proposed a day/half day of shadowing, if that would be okay! First two clinics said no due to liability, which I understand... it's now 5? days later and still no response from the rest of the clinics. :(

I called the rest, as the walk-in experience I had was a shot in the dark as far as whether or not the practice manager was in. But I'm again at the point of asking if I should give up and leave these poor clinics alone??

I'm stressed because I'm in the middle of waiting for applications, and worrying already about next year's apps. My biggest weakness is my relative lack of vet shadow hours, and so I WANT to beef those numbers up! I have a bunch of shelter med and equine experience, but I want/need some in a clinic-clinic.

And just to add to this big wordblock of frustration is I would apply to actual vet-tech esque jobs, but my biggest road bloack THERE is that I would only be able to work for 9 months if I'm accepted!

fjsdlfjlsd what do

giphy.gif
That’s a tough situation. I would apply to the jobs still and be open that you are applying to vet school.
Also, have you tried contacting untraditional vet practices like mobile vets?

Reactions: 1 users
Why is that a problem? If there are positions open right now, apply!

1.) You don't have to disclose that you're hoping to start school in August if you don't want them to know. If they ask, you can be vague about what your long term commitment looks like. Don't lie, of course, but you honestly don't know for sure that you'll be in school next year - deal with that when it happens. Don't let that hold you back from employment opportunities right now.

2.) It is really not unusual for vet clinic employees to leave within their first year. Every clinic I've worked at/had friends work at have fairly high turnover rates. It's not the norm everywhere but it's not unusual either.

I took a PT vet reception job last year that I only kept for 6-7 months. I knew going in that I couldn't stay longer than 8 or 9 months. I left a little early because I hated it and was sick of the drama. No one had hard feelings. If anything happened and I wanted to go back, they'd hire me on the spot. (See above regarding high turnover ;)) Was I a terrible employee for only staying 6 ish months? Hell no. Should I have never even applied since I knew I wouldn't stay past 8 months? Also no. I didn't have to sign a contract promising a certain minimum employment length, I was free to go whenever. Don't let this be an issue if you want to get a job.

Reactions: 6 users
Vets for Tech: Veterinary facilities get approval despite Texas A&M pushback

Surely we all agree this is a terrible, terrible idea. The “fix” for getting more food animal vets isn’t to keep building MORE vet schools, it’s to actually pay the people who want to be food animal vets and not have them rely on government assistance for rural vets.

Also there’s no way 89 million is going to be able to build a school, teaching hospital, bring in high caliber faculty, and administrators. There’s no way. It’s going to be put on the student’s tuition, and those poor, overeager pre-vet students who just want to be a vet, are going to be in debt for life.

Reactions: 3 users
Also there’s no way 89 million is going to be able to build a school, teaching hospital, bring in high caliber faculty, and administrators. There’s no way. It’s going to be put on the student’s tuition, and those poor, overeager pre-vet students who just want to be a vet, are going to be in debt for life.
Do they even for sure have plans for a teaching hospital? They could be like LMU or Western where they just don’t have one?

Do they even for sure have plans for a teaching hospital? They could be like LMU or Western where they just don’t have one?
Not up on all my Texas geography, but isnt Texas tech like in the middle of BFE? There can't be enough of a local veterinary infrastructure to support a distributive model around there

Members don't see this ad :)
Not up on all my Texas geography, but isnt Texas tech like in the middle of BFE? There can't be enough of a local veterinary infrastructure to support a distributive model around there
Correctamundo! Here’s my poorly annotated drawing circling where the new school would be compared to the population map. There’s no way it can financially support it! It’s quicker to get to Oklahoma State than it is DFW.

94444EA0-197E-40B0-AF6E-289E5D117CE2.jpeg

From what I’ve read they plan to do distributive.

Texas Tech is in Lubbock but their vet school plans are in Amarillo, where they have a med school program. That area has some vets, but not a ton. No specialty practices I know of. I used to live near Amarillo. They do have large feedlots in the area so that is good for the large animal perspective but I’m not sure how it’ll work.

Reactions: 3 users
oh I didn’t even think about that. Hahaha oh boy, I can’t imagine A&M being super receptive to bringing in 4th years into clinical year.

That’s a tough situation. I would apply to the jobs still and be open that you are applying to vet school.
Also, have you tried contacting untraditional vet practices like mobile vets?

Why is that a problem? If there are positions open right now, apply!

1.) You don't have to disclose that you're hoping to start school in August if you don't want them to know. If they ask, you can be vague about what your long term commitment looks like. Don't lie, of course, but you honestly don't know for sure that you'll be in school next year - deal with that when it happens. Don't let that hold you back from employment opportunities right now.

2.) It is really not unusual for vet clinic employees to leave within their first year. Every clinic I've worked at/had friends work at have fairly high turnover rates. It's not the norm everywhere but it's not unusual either.

I took a PT vet reception job last year that I only kept for 6-7 months. I knew going in that I couldn't stay longer than 8 or 9 months. I left a little early because I hated it and was sick of the drama. No one had hard feelings. If anything happened and I wanted to go back, they'd hire me on the spot. (See above regarding high turnover ;)) Was I a terrible employee for only staying 6 ish months? Hell no. Should I have never even applied since I knew I wouldn't stay past 8 months? Also no. I didn't have to sign a contract promising a certain minimum employment length, I was free to go whenever. Don't let this be an issue if you want to get a job.

Thanks for the encouragement!! You guys are right, I just needed a second/third opinion. I'll call back the places I sent in a few apps for. As for untraditional - I've scoured around my area and unfortunately it's pretty sparse. Only a few equine vets but I'm definitely still on the look out! Thanks you guys :love:

oh I didn’t even think about that. Hahaha oh boy, I can’t imagine A&M being super receptive to bringing in 4th years into clinical year.

They plan to have vet students do rotations at local clinics, not A&M. They know A&M wouldn’t go for that whatsoever with the amount of shade they’re throwing at Tech :laugh:

And I agree 100% this is a terrible idea. But since you don’t need a teaching hospital to get accredited - also a terrible idea that needs to be changed yesterday - they can’t be denied accreditation and they could sue for that if they were, so. Add it to the list of why vet med is in big trouble.

fjsdlfjlsd what do

Not sure where in MD you are or if we are one of the clinics you've contacted, but my boss is notorious for not responding to such requests, even though he marks them "important" in the email with plans to reply. Unfortunately though insurance is a witch and we really only take vet students since they come with insurance. :(

My SO and I have both been really, really, really struggling to let bad cases go. We are both having nightmares and insomnia over them. We are both anxious messes all the time. I know adjusting takes time, but 6 months in and we are having trouble leaving things at the door of our different clinics. Thank goodness we have each other for support, otherwise I'm not sure how we would be handling this. I honestly wish I could just unplug my vet med brain when I get home but it ends up just screaming louder than ever.

My SO and I have both been really, really, really struggling to let bad cases go. We are both having nightmares and insomnia over them. We are both anxious messes all the time. I know adjusting takes time, but 6 months in and we are having trouble leaving things at the door of our different clinics. Thank goodness we have each other for support, otherwise I'm not sure how we would be handling this. I honestly wish I could just unplug my vet med brain when I get home but it ends up just screaming louder than ever.

I’m sorry :( One of my previous coworkers (who graduated the same year I did) had the same problem while I never did. I wish I had some words of wisdom or even some kind of advice for you but everything I start typing sounds silly.

Are you making time outside of work for other things? Have you considered reaching out to the VIN group for help?

They plan to have vet students do rotations at local clinics, not A&M. They know A&M wouldn’t go for that whatsoever with the amount of shade they’re throwing at Tech :laugh:

And I agree 100% this is a terrible idea. But since you don’t need a teaching hospital to get accredited - also a terrible idea that needs to be changed yesterday - they can’t be denied accreditation and they could sue for that if they were, so. Add it to the list of why vet med is in big trouble.
How frustrating. I went to a school without a teaching hospital and am currently a resident at an institution with a teaching hospital. I think there are pros and cons to both systems, but I really think there is no replacement for having a teaching hospital available. I really am not a fan of this theme that more and more vet schools can open without one.

Reactions: 4 users
How frustrating. I went to a school without a teaching hospital and am currently a resident at an institution with a teaching hospital. I think there are pros and cons to both systems, but I really think there is no replacement for having a teaching hospital available. I really am not a fan of this theme that more and more vet schools can open without one.

I think Ross and SGU opened the doors and now everyone realizes that with relatively little investment, they can toss up a vet school and take advantage of an overeager applicant pool. And then make a very lame, uneducated claim that they want to get more LA vets graduated:rolleyes: Very frustrating, I agree.

Just curious- what pros did you find to going to school without a teaching hospital?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I think Ross and SGU opened the doors and now everyone realizes that with relatively little investment, they can toss up a vet school and take advantage of an overeager applicant pool. And then make a very lame, uneducated claim that they want to get more LA vets graduated:rolleyes: Very frustrating, I agree.

Just curious- what pros did you find to going to school without a teaching hospital?
To be fair, wasn’t it Western that sued the AVMA to get accredited, which then led to SGU and Ross being able to?

Edit: it was. Ross and SGU opened up way before they could be accredited, then Western sued, and it was changed so you didn’t need an on-site teaching hospital to be accredited.

Last edited:

The pros are very "me" specific and I don't think they necessarily make Western a better school. As a matter of fact, I think some of the pros for me are probably not great choices on the school's part although they benefited me personally. Because of our curriculum I was able to do three months straight of surgery rotations, and because it's distributive, I was able to do two of those three months at practices that I was interested in matching at for my internship. I will say, however, doing three months of surgery rotations was not really a wise decision when it came to NAVLE and actually being a doctor the following year and I probably should not have been allowed to do that. So, the opposing "con" to that would that I never did a cardio rotation, or ophtho, or derm, or neuro.

Another advantage is that because of the distributive model, for rotations that took place at hospitals in which I would be applying for match, I was able to spend a full month there and not only really get a feel for the practice but also they would get to know me. Is it feasible for students to get that done on a more traditional, shorter externship? Absolutely, and I'm sure may people on this forum have done just that. However, if you ask some of the internship programs that routinely take Western students one of the things they'll say is that they take so many because Western students will spend so much time there and they know what they're getting into a little bit better. The opposite is obviously true too sometimes, and most of my residency interviews included questions about how exactly Western worked and how well (or not) it had prepared me to be a doctor.

Another personal pro is the amount of time we get off in fourth year. I think we got three months total of vacation and we can organize it however we want. I took a few weeks off for NAVLE and then saved it all for the end and finished fourth year a couple months ahead of my classmates.

Another one that I'll say is that I think the surgical experience we got is superior to the students I'm teaching now. Note, I say the word "experience" and not "training." I can't speak for all vet schools, obviously. However, when I graduated, I had done probably 40 spays, 40 dog neuters, and innumerable cat neuters as well as couple other miscellaneous surgeries and that's not including the time I got on externships not directly affiliated with the school. Also, generally speaking, since I wasn't at a teaching hospital, I didn't have to fight with rotating interns, +/- specialty interns, +/- residents in order to scrub in and get a front row seat to surgery. My students now do half a spay in school and that's it. I think that surgery experience is pretty varied across vet schools though, so my experiences are probably different from many others on SDN.

What I really want to emphasize to sum this up is these are reasons the school worked out for me personally, but that does not mean they are good professional or career-related reasons and I absolutely do not think any of the above benefits are reasons to choose Western, and honestly some of them are reasons NOT to. I don't think that medicine and surgery should be the only required rotations for a vet student, and just have them fill in the blanks on their own. Also, the amount of debt you take on is a serious consideration and I just don't think it's reasonable that a school lacking a teaching hospital should be that much more expensive than a school that has a teaching hospital and also has a vast majority of specialists. When I was a student we didn't have a neurologist, an oncologist, a dermatologist... I don't know if that's changed now. I don't regret where I went to school because it got me where I needed to go. I was lucky enough to get my top choice for match two years in a row :) However, I don't know that a school without a teaching hospital is an appropriate model to continue pursuing.

[edit] I realize some of these are not necessarily directly addressing the teaching hospital aspect -- sorry! I got a bit carried away.

The pros are very "me" specific and I don't think they necessarily make Western a better school. As a matter of fact, I think some of the pros for me are probably not great choices on the school's part although they benefited me personally. Because of our curriculum I was able to do three months straight of surgery rotations, and because it's distributive, I was able to do two of those three months at practices that I was interested in matching at for my internship. I will say, however, doing three months of surgery rotations was not really a wise decision when it came to NAVLE and actually being a doctor the following year and I probably should not have been allowed to do that. So, the opposing "con" to that would that I never did a cardio rotation, or ophtho, or derm, or neuro.

Another advantage is that because of the distributive model, for rotations that took place at hospitals in which I would be applying for match, I was able to spend a full month there and not only really get a feel for the practice but also they would get to know me. Is it feasible for students to get that done on a more traditional, shorter externship? Absolutely, and I'm sure may people on this forum have done just that. However, if you ask some of the internship programs that routinely take Western students one of the things they'll say is that they take so many because Western students will spend so much time there and they know what they're getting into a little bit better. The opposite is obviously true too sometimes, and most of my residency interviews included questions about how exactly Western worked and how well (or not) it had prepared me to be a doctor.

Another personal pro is the amount of time we get off in fourth year. I think we got three months total of vacation and we can organize it however we want. I took a few weeks off for NAVLE and then saved it all for the end and finished fourth year a couple months ahead of my classmates.

Another one that I'll say is that I think the surgical experience we got is superior to the students I'm teaching now. Note, I say the word "experience" and not "training." I can't speak for all vet schools, obviously. However, when I graduated, I had done probably 40 spays, 40 dog neuters, and innumerable cat neuters as well as couple other miscellaneous surgeries and that's not including the time I got on externships not directly affiliated with the school. Also, generally speaking, since I wasn't at a teaching hospital, I didn't have to fight with rotating interns, +/- specialty interns, +/- residents in order to scrub in and get a front row seat to surgery. My students now do half a spay in school and that's it. I think that surgery experience is pretty varied across vet schools though, so my experiences are probably different from many others on SDN.

What I really want to emphasize to sum this up is these are reasons the school worked out for me personally, but that does not mean they are good professional or career-related reasons and I absolutely do not think any of the above benefits are reasons to choose Western, and honestly some of them are reasons NOT to. I don't think that medicine and surgery should be the only required rotations for a vet student, and just have them fill in the blanks on their own. Also, the amount of debt you take on is a serious consideration and I just don't think it's reasonable that a school lacking a teaching hospital should be that much more expensive than a school that has a teaching hospital and also has a vast majority of specialists. When I was a student we didn't have a neurologist, an oncologist, a dermatologist... I don't know if that's changed now. I don't regret where I went to school because it got me where I needed to go. I was lucky enough to get my top choice for match two years in a row :) However, I don't know that a school without a teaching hospital is an appropriate model to continue pursuing.

[edit] I realize some of these are not necessarily directly addressing the teaching hospital aspect -- sorry! I got a bit carried away.

No that was all really great info. I’m interviewing at Western next week and if I end up not having a choice of where to go, I will of course go wherever I get in, but their lack of a teaching hospital plus their cost have definitely pushed them down the list for me so I’m happy to hear how it had worked out for you! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First world rant --
I ordered a bunch of stuff online last week. I'm setting up a new dog training area so it's flooring, padding, and other equipment. It was bad enough it didn't have 2 day shipping since it was non-Amazon purchases. But that's okay! I figured installing it would be a great weekend project. And yet my "will be delivered before noon today" packages are nowhere to be found yet and I'm impatient.

It's now 6:30. Why do I have a feeling Fedex isn't actually delivering today?

And at 8pm the "scheduled delivery day" has suddenly become unavailable.

I really hate dealing with Fedex. I have much better luck with UPS

ETA: And now the scheduled delivery day has been changed to Wednesday. Not Monday, not tuesday, but Wednesday. Despite the fact that said boxes are "on truck for delivery" 30 minutes from my house.

Last edited:
So apparently my fiance, then boyfriend, changed my voicemail recording years ago to something horribly stupid and embarrassing ('Hi this is PP9, I don't know how to answer a phone, leave a message and maybe I'll get back to you bye') as a joke and I had no idea until a friend called me, went to voicemail, and told me. I'm literally mortified and I've had career-related voicemails since then for sure. I'm glad I found out before the match/scramble but I'm so mad I don't even know what to do with myself.

And apparently it's actually "my fault" because I didn't think to check the recording of my own number/make a new one at any point :bang:

Why would you check your own recording?????????
Yeah that's what I said. No one on this planet actively checks their own recording on any sort of regular basis. Yet it's still my fault somehow. Relationships are fun.

I don’t know if I even have a recording, that’s how often I listen to MY OWN voicemail. It might be just the generic “*insert phone number here* is not available please leave a message after the tone” robot voice.

I don’t know if I even have a recording, that’s how often I listen to MY OWN voicemail. It might be just the generic “*insert phone number here* is not available please leave a message after the tone” robot voice.
I probably need to re-record mine. It's professional in what I actually say ("Hi this is capri1722, please leave a message...") but I recorded it in high school and my boyfriend says I sound really young.

That's what mine was before he changed it. Apparently he found it annoying so he took it upon himself to record something else (oh btw, it was in a baby voice too). Now all I can think about is all the people that would have called me and heard it. Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm pretty upset about this :mad:

I probably need to re-record mine. It's professional in what I actually say ("Hi this is capri1722, please leave a message...") but I recorded it in high school and my boyfriend says I sound really young.
Yeah I could never get my recording to sound not awful so I think I just used the default number thing?

Yeah that's what I said. No one on this planet actively checks their own recording on any sort of regular basis. Yet it's still my fault somehow. Relationships are fun.
Ummmm no, he's being a jerk and should apologize he never told you. The only way this would have been funny is if immediately after he did it, he told you to call yourself.

I feel like this is something middle-schoolers do

That's what mine was before he changed it. Apparently he found it annoying so he took it upon himself to record something else (oh btw, it was in a baby voice too). Now all I can think about is all the people that would have called me and heard it. Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm pretty upset about this :mad:
You’re not overreacting. Who listens to their own voicemail message. Who changes someone’s voicemail message when they are in professional school and could have important professional phone calls coming in that a ridiculous message is incredibly inappropriate for?!

I've never felt the urge to slap someone so strongly. Good thing he's 6 hours away, it's probably the safest place for him right now :laugh:

Nope. That's a dick move that now he is embarrassed about and trying to play off as nbd. At least it's likely that people knew that it wasn't you, and that someone had played a prank on you, so don't dwell too much on thinking about who has heard it. Glad you've got it fixed prior to match!

Thanks for the encouragement!! You guys are right, I just needed a second/third opinion. I'll call back the places I sent in a few apps for. As for untraditional - I've scoured around my area and unfortunately it's pretty sparse. Only a few equine vets but I'm definitely still on the look out! Thanks you guys :love:

Update: @JiuJitsuGirl95, @PrincessButterCup ,Y'all are the best. After the words of encouragement, I applied to a couple more jobs. I just had an interview today that went super well, and I'm likely starting soon. :joyful: It's a small emergency hospital with neat equipment + a rehab room, and everyone who I met was lovely. I'll be an anesthesia tech's assistant/ whatever else they need me to do.

this site, man. i love you guys.

Update: @JiuJitsuGirl95, @PrincessButterCup ,Y'all are the best. After the words of encouragement, I applied to a couple more jobs. I just had an interview today that went super well, and I'm likely starting soon. :joyful: It's a small emergency hospital with neat equipment + a rehab room, and everyone who I met was lovely. I'll be an anesthesia tech's assistant/ whatever else they need me to do.

this site, man. i love you guys.
That’s awesome! I’ve never worked in an official emergency hospital (just hospitals with super extended hours), but I hear it’s a great place to learn!
I would follow up with a hand written thank you letter to who interviewed you. Good luck on getting hired :xf:

I have a chronic health condition. I have a friend who has a related condition. We've been supporting each other, but communication trailed off in April. I've reached out several times since then asking how she was doing, and she always replied with an update but never once asked how I was. Yesterday she sends me a message "I feel like I'm being robbed blind by my vet, can I ask you some questions?" The pissy, passive aggressive part of me wants to reply "Not so hot, thanks for asking." (the not so hot part is true) I won't, but sometimes being the bigger person blows!

I have a chronic health condition. I have a friend who has a related condition. We've been supporting each other, but communication trailed off in April. I've reached out several times since then asking how she was doing, and she always replied with an update but never once asked how I was. Yesterday she sends me a message "I feel like I'm being robbed blind by my vet, can I ask you some questions?" The pissy, passive aggressive part of me wants to reply "Not so hot, thanks for asking." (the not so hot part is true) I won't, but sometimes being the bigger person blows!
My soon to be mother-in-law has offered good advice about situations like this; it’s not about you, it’s about them. People are naturally selfish and can get so absorbed with themselves that they forget to ask about you. There will always be those “friends” that are only there when it’s convenient or when you initiate conversation. I had a bridesmaid recently cancel on me..over TEXT and I haven’t heard from her since - that was like 3 months ago. She was not only supposed to be my friend, but a good enough friend I wanted next to me on my day. Sometimes stressful situations really bring out the true friends and the not-so-worth-it friends.
Keep your head up! I recommend trying to find a support group for your health condition in your area if you haven’t already.

Thanks @JiuJitsuGirl95 ! Crummy about your bridesmaid, I'm sorry! All the support groups I've found meet during school hours. Being too sick to work is common with what I have... I'm a definite outlier being able to handle vet school. While I try to remember to celebrate that, it gets lonely sometimes!