RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
froggy.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Managed to get a 108 on my anatomy lecture test. Compared to how things went when I took this exact same class but in undergrad, I'm really happy to see my hard work in studying paying off. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Phone rings at 7:30AM. It's my boss. "I'm in your driveway and I have a delivery." She bought me a barbecue as a housewarming gift. :)
As a follow up to this, I think my house mate is more excited about this than I am. Upon seeing it in the kitchen, he volunteered to assemble it, and then offered to pick up propane and today offered to pick up barbecue utensils.

Reactions: 2 users
Currently in Europe, France to be exact, and I stumble upon SDN for the first time in weeks as I can't sleep (miss you all btw). Happened to read the "Why is this forum full of fantasy role playing threads? It makes absolutely no sense" thread and about just died of laughter, and THEN I happened to read WTF's "Why is this forum full of veterinary medicine threads? It makes absolutely no sense" and actually did die of laughter. So funny :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: having a great time on my trip and can't wait to catch up on here in a couple of weeks :love:

Reactions: 10 users
I'm on session 2 of 2 for dental CE this year.

The first session I was disgustingly slow and frustrated. Thought it was helpful by the end but I was still frustrated. Didn't realize how helpful until the wetlab today... Two canine extractions, maxillary P4 and M1 and mandibular molars in a fraction of the time it would have taken me a few weeks ago, without a single broken root or moment of panic. Definitely liking this tooth stuff more than I ever thought I would.

Reactions: 4 users
Today, I get to stay with my fiance instead of having to leave. Our long distance (2 hrs apart for almost 6 months) has been nothing compared to what I've dealt with in other relationships, but it sure is nice to be in the same place again.

Edit: Also, our cats get along, and we just got a new ewe and a ram which doubled our flock. Life is good!

I just unclogged the bathtub/shower drain in my apartment. It was completely, horrifyingly disgusting, but tonight, I get to shower without standing in 2 inches of tepid water! Thank you, Youtube, for the know-how.

Reactions: 1 users
Today, I get to stay with my fiance instead of having to leave. Our long distance (2 hrs apart for almost 6 months) has been nothing compared to what I've dealt with in other relationships, but it sure is nice to be in the same place again.

I know that feel - congrats on closing the distance :hardy:

Two days after dental CE ended I hit the xray jackpot....

Adult dog, supernumerary unerupted premolar with a dentigerous cyst. Of course it was scheduled as a "routine cleaning" for "mild tartar"

Members don't see this ad :)
Two days after dental CE ended I hit the xray jackpot....

Adult dog, supernumerary unerupted premolar with a dentigerous cyst. Of course it was scheduled as a "routine cleaning" for "mild tartar"
Those are the coolest freaking thing. Guide dog organization I did an externship with thinks they have a propensity bred into their stock, pretty much any dog with an unerupted 305/405 had one. I think I saw three in three weeks, hadn't seen it before or since.

I always feel like I am terribly awkward with emotional clients. Where I am, it is the actual pathologists, not emergency clinicians, who do on-call intake of DOAs and animals euthanized at surrounding practices. Had a sweet older lady who was crying and just raw as hell over her dog. Did the best I could but still felt like I was awkward. Got an email from her today thanking me for my compassion and thoughtfulness. Made me feel pretty cool. Means a lot to someone in a specialty that isn't exactly known for social niceties.

Reactions: 9 users
I always feel like I am terribly awkward with emotional clients. Where I am, it is the actual pathologists, not emergency clinicians, who do on-call intake of DOAs and animals euthanized at surrounding practices. Had a sweet older lady who was crying and just raw as hell over her dog. Did the best I could but still felt like I was awkward. Got an email from her today thanking me for my compassion and thoughtfulness. Made me feel pretty cool. Means a lot to someone in a specialty that isn't exactly known for social niceties.

I made people cry today.... :(

I made people cry today.... :(

I know the feels. Technically I made her cry too. After taking a basic history, she goes " I just want to know what we were fighting..." and broke down right next to me. :(

They had literally put the dog down at a clinic 10 min away and she had driven it over herself, and I know she hadn't had time to process it yet.

I know the feels. Technically I made her cry too. After taking a basic history, she goes " I just want to know what we were fighting..." and broke down right next to me. :(

They had literally put the dog down at a clinic 10 min away and she had driven it over herself, and I know she hadn't had time to process it yet.

I'm sorry. Sucks. :(

On the way the a really awful organic chem test I encountered the Jedi Master of birds. It flew in front of the jeep and I felt the thump when I hit it. I was certain I was going to have to clean out the grill. Turns out it just landed on the front bumper and chilled there until I got to a stop light before flying off.

Reactions: 3 users
On the way the a really awful organic chem test I encountered the Jedi Master of birds. It flew in front of the jeep and I felt the thump when I hit it. I was certain I was going to have to clean out the grill. Turns out it just landed on the front bumper and chilled there until I got to a stop light before flying off.
This is amazing. The only hitchhiking wildlife I ever get are bugs.

So . . . This happened. :D

IMG_20160702_130756321.jpg

The owner I was ranting about earlier this week surrendered her flea-anemic mothers and their remaining kittens. I am fostering them for now. :love:

Reactions: 7 users
Guess who thought he was scheduled to work all day 7/4 but just found out today that he is off and doesn't work again until Wednesday?

This guy, that's who.

Boom. My first holiday off since graduation. Rock the heck on.

Reactions: 18 users
My roommate and I just got a joint custody betta fish, and he is the bomb. We plan on starting an Instagram account for him. It's going to be magical.

Reactions: 3 users
My roommate and I just got a joint custody betta fish, and he is the bomb. We plan on starting an Instagram account for him. It's going to be magical.
Ooo I should start an instagram for my bettas and then our bettas can follow each other...

yeah, but that's how instagram fights start

If there were ever an Instagram fight I would actually want to be a part of, I think it would be one between dueling betta fish accounts.

Guess who thought he was scheduled to work all day 7/4 but just found out today that he is off and doesn't work again until Wednesday?

This guy, that's who.

Boom. My first holiday off since graduation. Rock the heck on.

A few of my internmate have their first official day/overnight tomorrow. They're kind of terrified considering how busy the ER is here.

Spent my last couple days alone while house/dog-sitting for my family, flipping my sleep schedule upside down so I can play stupid games and watch videos via skype with an old friend stationed in Japan. Only occasionally wearing pants.

I'm genuinely happier than I've been in months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Spent my last couple days alone while house/dog-sitting for my family, flipping my sleep schedule upside down so I can play stupid games and watch videos via skype with an old friend stationed in Japan. Only occasionally wearing pants.

I'm genuinely happier than I've been in months.

Then you should ditch pants permanently. Take the leap, make that life decision. Be happy.

A few of my internmate have their first official day/overnight tomorrow. They're kind of terrified considering how busy the ER is here.

So here I sit at work. Scheduling screw up. I am actually working overnight. It has been busy. A little more than usual but not out of control. And no Sx cases thank god ..... When you're single-doctoring, those can screw up your whole evening time-wise.

I kinda laugh. The U always used to tell us how busy their ER is when I was a student there. It isn't even CLOSE to how many cases we see in our (private) ER. I mean, not remotely in the same ballpark.

Tell your internmates they will be fine. Fall back to the basics - beating, breathing, not bleeding. Simplify. Stabilize. If you stabilize you buy time to manage. Prioritize - the laceration repair can camp out for hours if need be

My kitty finally seems to be getting settled into my new place in CO. :biglove:

Also, I kicked him out of my room today because he kept trying to eat a wasp that had gotten in, and he busted down the baby gate to get back into my room... because he wanted pets and scratches from me.

My kitty finally seems to be getting settled into my new place in CO. :biglove:

Also, I kicked him out of my room today because he kept trying to eat a wasp that had gotten in, and he busted down the baby gate to get back into my room... because he wanted pets and scratches from me.
I'm just trying to envision separating a wasp and a cat with a baby gate right now. :laugh:

I spent the better part of this past week at the small animal GP I shadowed at during the last couple of summers. I love the staff and the general environment there. The vet is also a licensed wildlife rehabilitator so she sometimes brings cool stuff in from the local rehab place. Friday's treat was... a bunch of baby opossums! So adorable! :love:

image.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm just trying to envision separating a wasp and a cat with a baby gate right now. :laugh:
I have a baby gate blocking the door to my room because my roommate has a cat and I've been letting them get acquainted with one another through the gate. The wasp (mercifully) was confined to my window between the blinds and the window screen and stayed there.

I'm probably jinxing myself by raving 1 1/2 hours before my on call shift is done but I'm finally done with my surgery rotation. As awesome as I find surgery (and I do kind of love it, not enough to do a residency in that department, but it is pretty cool), I was not a huge fan of the rotation. It didn't help that there were only 3 students splitting everything (when typically there are 5-6) and I was basically in all weekend (including today). My sleep cycle is so messed up right now. All this sounds like a rant, but I'm DONE and starting cardio tomorrow and the thought of no on call shifts makes me so happy :)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm probably jinxing myself by raving 1 1/2 hours before my on call shift is done but I'm finally done with my surgery rotation. As awesome as I find surgery (and I do kind of love it, not enough to do a residency in that department, but it is pretty cool), I was not a huge fan of the rotation. It didn't help that there were only 3 students splitting everything (when typically there are 5-6) and I was basically in all weekend (including today). My sleep cycle is so messed up right now. All this sounds like a rant, but I'm DONE and starting cardio tomorrow and the thought of no on call shifts makes me so happy :)

Yeah. That rotation is poorly done at UMN. I felt like I paid an <awful> lot to learn not very much.

I passed my re-exam!!!!! Still bitter about having to take it in the first place, but I'm officially a second year vet student!

I had to do one of those too. Hah.

Glad you made it through!

@jamrockin ugh... sorry. Dunno what happened, don't need to know - just sorry things didn't work out.