Rush vs Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsbtheban

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both schools will cost me about the same. I honestly didn't have strong feelings toward case when I was there even tho everyone was incredibly nice and I know it's a great school. I felt more comfortable at rush and like that it's in Chicago. Residency wise will it make much of a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools will cost me about the same. I honestly didn't have strong feelings toward case when I was there even tho everyone was incredibly nice and I know it's a great school. I felt more comfortable at rush and like that it's in Chicago. Residency wise will it make much of a difference?

chicago > cleveland. Ask yourself if you can stand Cleveland. I got into Case and realized I couldn't. Also, if you want to end up back in chicago then Rush is the better option. Since you are in Chicago, it will be easy for you to stay. Case has a good match list and you will be able to match into Chicago, but since you're from Chicago, I would suggest Rush. Chicago is a world class city and I hope to go there for residency. Good luck.

If you felt more comfortable at Rush and liked Chicago better, I'd say Rush. Ordinarily I would say Case for sure, but there's no point in going to a school you didn't feel great about just because it's higher ranked. Rush is a great school.

chicago > cleveland. Ask yourself if you can stand Cleveland. I got into Case and realized I couldn't. Also, if you want to end up back in chicago then Rush is the better option. Since you are in Chicago, it will be easy for you to stay. Case has a good match list and you will be able to match into Chicago, but since you're from Chicago, I would suggest Rush. Chicago is a world class city and I hope to go there for residency. Good luck.

Did you visit Cleveland before you made those statements? If you grew up in LA/NY/Chicago, I can see how an adjustment to Cleveland might be hard. I was pretty apprehensive about Cleveland, too, but when I got a chance to explore the city while apartment hunting, I found out it's actually really cool. If Cleveland is your only hang-up about attending Case, I wouldn't let that deter you. If you grew up in a mid-size city like Minneapolis (where I grew up)/Denver/Seattle, I think you'll find Cleveland very comparable.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I really needed some neutral advice outside of friends and family. I was born in Chicago (my family is there too) and love big cities. I would most likely (but not 100% sure about this) attend Case if it were in Chicago...but i think it might have all to do with rankings/reputations and future opportunities. If rankings didn't exist I would honestly probably choose Rush bc it just felt better for some reason and I really didn't like cleveland...even tho I was only there for about 30 hrs to interview.

I guess the bottom line is if location/being in your hometown comfort zone enough of a reason to go to one school and turn down another?

Last edited:
I guess the bottom line is if location/being in your hometown comfort zone enough of a reason to go to one school and turn down another?

Go to where you think you'll succeed. Rankings/reputation of a school mean a lot less if you don't do well at that school.

If rankings didn't exist I would honestly probably choose Rush bc it just felt better for some reason and I really didn't like cleveland...even tho I was only there for about 30 hrs to interview.
Then go to Rush. Are you going to enjoy spending the next 4 years at a school you liked 2nd best in a city you don't like? The environment you are in can greatly affect your performance in school so give yourself the best chance and go to the school that "feels right".

If you want to specialize into anything competitive, go to Case.

If you want to specialize into anything competitive, go to Case.

If he/she wants to stay in Chicago, Rush will offer every advantage as Case. Rush Orthopaedics is world class and they aren't bad in other departments. Plus, Case is so expensive and Rush just built a gorgeous new hospital. Case is a good school, but in this situation, Rush is where the OP will be happier and provide an excellent chance to match at Feinberg, Pritzker, Rush, etc for residency.

If he/she wants to stay in Chicago, Rush will offer every advantage as Case. Rush Orthopaedics is world class and they aren't bad in other departments. Plus, Case is so expensive and Rush just built a gorgeous new hospital. Case is a good school, but in this situation, Rush is where the OP will be happier and provide an excellent chance to match at Feinberg, Pritzker, Rush, etc for residency.

I am clearly biased, but it seems there would be more opportunities at Case, but if it means happiness, I suppose stay in Chicago. Rush is just as expensive as Case is, and you get more bang for your medical school buck at Case by most standards. It's all arbitrary though, and the OP should go where he/she is happy. I think that much we can agree upon.

I am clearly biased, but it seems there would be more opportunities at Case, but if it means happiness, I suppose stay in Chicago. Rush is just as expensive as Case is, and you get more bang for your medical school buck at Case by most standards. It's all arbitrary though, and the OP should go where he/she is happy. I think that much we can agree upon.

Yes, Case is the better school, but in this situation, Rush is likely the most ideal choice. If the OP didn't love Chicago and want to end up at Chicago, I would advocate Case all day. They had a non-Californian match into UCSF radiology. As a would be radiologist, that's just disgusting.

Yes, Case is the better school, but in this situation, Rush is likely the most ideal choice. If the OP didn't love Chicago and want to end up at Chicago, I would advocate Case all day. They had a non-Californian match into UCSF radiology. As a would be radiologist, that's just disgusting.

I don't know... I'd still recommend going to Case and rotating at Chicago hospitals during elective clerkships. I would think that doing well at a school with an excellent national reputation, while making connections at places in Chicago, would be the best way to end up in a great residency there (if the OP wants to specialize into something competitive). Chicago is only a 5 hour drive from Cleveland. It's very easy to get there. It's not like choosing between Rush and a top notch school on the Coasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.