Texas residency matching question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summer14

MS0
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm starting med school this summer/fall and am choosing between two medical schools. I am a FL resident but my family lives in Texas and I would really like to do my residency there. My choices are between UF and UTMB. I was wondering if doing medical school in Texas would greatly help with getting a residency spot there. At the same time, I wonder if the higher rank of UF would make it easier getting a residency there. In short, how do the factors of location/rank of medical school play out?

Thanks for any/all help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, if you want to do a residency in Texas, why aren't you more excited about getting into med school there? Also, I've heard that getting a residency spot is easier at UTMB if you went to school there, but not sure how that plays out statewide.

Disclaimer: I'm starting UTMB in the fall and probably pretty biased towards it

Reactions: 1 user
Regional bias is real, but if you are from Texas and do your aways there, going to UF would be fine too. I'd go to the cheaper (if significantly different) or school you liked better.

I don't pay attention to school ranks, but how much higher is UF really than UTMB? Unless UF as a bona fide top 20 then I agree with the above.

Texas regional bias is strong, as has been stated. Should you change your mind, you'll probably have an easier time matching to UF from UTMB than to UTMB from UF, all else being equal.

And I bet UTMB is cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
As a 4th year med student from UF, almost everyone from UF who applied to TX programs for residency got multiple interview offers from TX programs - in multiple residency programs from peds, IM, EM to rad onc, ENT, and gen surg etc. etc. And everywhere from UTMB, Baylor, MDACC, UT San Antonio, UTSW Dallas, to Austin. Going to UF will not prohibit you from going to TX later, the southeastern regional bias will get you interviews when you apply for residency.

Hi everyone! I'm starting med school this summer/fall and am choosing between two medical schools. I am a FL resident but my family lives in Texas and I would really like to do my residency there. My choices are between UF and UTMB. I was wondering if doing medical school in Texas would greatly help with getting a residency spot there. At the same time, I wonder if the higher rank of UF would make it easier getting a residency there. In short, how do the factors of location/rank of medical school play out?

Thanks for any/all help!!
UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB UTMB

As a 4th year med student from UF, almost everyone from UF who applied to TX programs for residency got multiple interview offers from TX programs - in multiple residency programs from peds, IM, EM to rad onc, ENT, and gen surg etc. etc. And everywhere from UTMB, Baylor, MDACC, UT San Antonio, UTSW Dallas, to Austin. Going to UF will not prohibit you from going to TX later, the southeastern regional bias will get you interviews when you apply for residency.
No doubt about it. I don't think anyone is saying UTMB>UF or that if the OP goes to UF, he/she cannot get into texas residency. However, it seems like he/she wants to be in Texas, but was wondering if going to UF, a higher ranked school (not sure about ranks myself) would be better or if UTMB would be better simply because it's in Texas. In this situation, going to UTMB for medical school (staying in Texas for 4 years) would be just as good as going to UF (a higher ranked school apparently) to obtain a residency in Texas.

You may also want to look at the tuition costs: all the public Texas med schools have extremely low tuition compared to med schools in most other states. Tuition for UTMB this past year was ~$17k :)

If you're pretty set on Texas for residency, then just as everyone has already stated, UTMB is probably your best option. If you're open to anywhere else, Florida will likely serve you better.

How much money would you be saving going to UTMB over UF? Texas has about a 1:1 ratio for students to residency spots (of course this doesn't count what specialty these guys want) and in 2010 5.1% of UTMB graduates didn't match to Texas that wanted too. http://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=17267

Wow in UTMB state tuition is 17k a year total???
Take that and run! You don't know the pain my roommate is in from debt - he'll be paying his loans when his unborn kids start high school probably!
They're both hot and humid places aren't they?

As others have said, UF is probably not so much higher ranked that it is going to be seen appreciably more favorably than UTMB, and UTMB is super cheap. Regional bias may be a thing in as much as people may know the people writing your letters better if you're from UTMB. All in all, unless you like the idea of living in FL for another 4 years for whatever reason, I think UTMB is the right call.

Moving to pre-allo school specific discussions.

Hi all! Thanks for the responses. I loved both schools when I interviewed and would honestly be happy at either school. I'm still trying to figure out what would be best for me... thanks again!!

Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread. I see that ppl here are mentioning that regional bias is real, especially in Texas. Do you guys think the same is true for a new DO school in Texas as well for Texas residencies?