2021-2022 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
***** DON"T wait to get a secondary invitation from A&M - they don't send them! It's up to you to go to their web page, set up an account , and get access so you can submit the secondary. *****

2021-2022 Texas A&M Secondary Essay Prompts (unchanged from last year)

1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).

2. The Texas A&M College of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Briefly discuss what activities demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of these core values. (3500 character maximum).

3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays;
OR describe any key academic, personal, or financial barriers that COVID-19 may have posed on you or your immediate family. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).

4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

DIFFERENT/EXTRA QUESTIONS FOR A&M EnMed 2021-2022 (NOT the same as last year's)
  1. How did you hear about the EnMed program? (100 words MAX)
  2. Explain your interest in the EnMed medical education program: (250 words MAX)
  3. How will the EnMed medical education meet your goals and interests in ways that a traditional MD-only program would not? (150 words MAX)
  4. What creative, engineering, innovation, or entrepreneurship related activities have you participated in outside the classroom? Describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies. (150 words MAX)
  5. What knowledge, skills, and experiences have you acquired inside the classroom during your education that are most relevant to EnMed? (150 words MAX)
  6. What role do you envision yourself taking in the process of creating and translating new medical technologies during your future medical career? (150 words MAX)
  7. If you do not have an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or computer science, what knowledge, skills, experiences, or other preparation do you have that will contribute to your success in the EnMed medical education program, and in your future career as a Physicianeer? (250 words MAX)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are yall using the entire 3500 characters (I'm not sure if it's with or without spaces) for the prompts? It says to "Describe briefly" but 3500 characters is a lot.

Are yall using the entire 3500 characters (I'm not sure if it's with or without spaces) for the prompts? It says to "Describe briefly" but 3500 characters is a lot.
The character count will include spaces. When you have said what you wish to say, wrap it up ;)

If you have the EY 2022 prompts, could you share? You can PM me if you prefer.
Thanks, Wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we just register for the account on A&Ms website ourselves? I read that they’re not going to send out secondary application invitations, is that right?

Any of yall studying at UH-Clear lake right now premed?

So does that mean we can submit at any time? Even before the transmission of our primary application?
No, wait for the message from TMDSAS that your primary application has been transmitted to your schools.
After Submitting Your Application

Since people have posted some of the prompts here on SDN you can start writing the essays to have them ready.

My primary has not transmitted yet, but I already made my A&M account and can see the secondary. Would the two-week turnaround be counted as when I made the account or after my primary transmits?

My primary has not transmitted yet, but I already made my A&M account and can see the secondary. Would the two-week turnaround be counted as when I made the account or after my primary transmits?
Write it now and send it to A&M when your primary app has transmitted. They are unlikely to read the secondary before being able to see the primary

Does anyone's portal have the primary app marked as received? My transmitted already, but it didnt get marked on my portal yet.

Does anyone's portal have the primary app marked as received? My transmitted already, but it didnt get marked on my portal yet.
It takes a while for them to update it! I was transmitted 5/19 and finally marked complete 6/2. For a while, it only showed secondary received marked as "true".

Members don't see this ad :)
For the third question on the secondary, are we supposed to treat this as the usual "hardship" question? Not sure if I should write about COVID barriers if they were common among everyone during the pandemic...

If you don’t have anything that fits the first option of question 3, then yes you should write about how the pandemic affected you personally. It can be matter-of-fact and doesn’t have to be long

If I already talked about my hardship in one of my primary essays, should I just write not applicable for #3? I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to talk about it from a different angle as it says "not mentioned in your primary application essays."

If I already talked about my hardship in one of my primary essays, should I just write not applicable for #3? I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to talk about it from a different angle as it says "not mentioned in your primary application essays."
That’s what I did, as I used that for my optional essay, and it specifically says “not mentioned”.

You could choose the second option for #3 and describe ways the pandemic affected the lives of you and your immediate family.

If you don’t have anything that fits the first option of question 3, then yes you should write about how the pandemic affected you personally. It can be matter-of-fact and doesn’t have to be long
Is it a bad idea to say that question 3 is not applicable for me? COVID didn't cause any sort of major issue/barrier for me other than just having to move back from school a bit earlier and working as a scribe at the start of the pandemic.

Is it a bad idea to say that question 3 is not applicable for me? COVID didn't cause any sort of major issue/barrier for me other than just having to move back from school a bit earlier and working as a scribe at the start of the pandemic.
In an interview the A&M dean shook his head at applicants who said it didn’t affect them. That’s my hint for all of you :=|:-):;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Here is the EnMed prompt. It looks like the prompt changed a lot from last year. @wysdoc
  1. How did you hear about the EnMed program? (100 words MAX)
  2. Explain your interest in the EnMed medical education program: (250 words MAX)
  3. How will the EnMed medical education meet your goals and interests in ways that a traditional MD-only program would not? (150 words MAX)
  4. What creative, engineering, innovation, or entrepreneurship related activities have you participated in outside the classroom? Describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies. (150 words MAX)
  5. What knowledge, skills, and experiences have you acquired inside the classroom during your education that are most relevant to EnMed? (150 words MAX)
  6. What role do you envision yourself taking in the process of creating and translating new medical technologies during your future medical career? (150 words MAX)
  7. If you do not have an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or computer science, what knowledge, skills, experiences, or other preparation do you have that will contribute to your success in the EnMed medical education program, and in your future career as a Physicianeer? (250 words MAX)

Two questions. (1)Should I avoid using activities mentioned in primary app for question 2. I having difficulty finding activities that apply to the core values without mentioning the certain activity. (2) Prompts say "briefly" but character count is 3500. Should I aim towards the character count?

Two questions. (1)Should I avoid using activities mentioned in primary app for question 2. I having difficulty finding activities that apply to the core values without mentioning the certain activity. (2) Prompts say "briefly" but character count is 3500. Should I aim towards the character count?
You could use the same activities if you wish, but point this essay towards integrity you used or believe in rather than activity description.

And I agree with you, 3500 characters isn't that brief! Say what you want to say & wrap it up, use at least 1/3 of the character count.

You could use the same activities if you wish, but point this essay towards integrity you used or believe in rather than activity description.

And I agree with you, 3500 characters isn't that brief! Say what you want to say & wrap it up, use at least 1/3 of the character count.
Will do. Thanks!

2. The Texas A&M College of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Briefly discuss what activities demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of these core values. (3500 character maximum).
Regarding this prompt...is it recommended that we choose one or multiple activity in order to cover all six core values? I have one particularly meaningful anecdote that I would like to talk about but it only covers 3/6 of the core values.

Regarding this prompt...is it recommended that we choose one or multiple activity in order to cover all six core values? I have one particularly meaningful anecdote that I would like to talk about but it only covers 3/6 of the core values.
You can focus on one or more of these values, no need to make it like a list & try to discuss them all

Does a speeding ticket to be listed as misdemeanor in the application?

Does a speeding ticket to be listed as misdemeanor in the application?
Are you a Texas resident? In the TMDSAS handbook, traffic violations are not to be listed as misdemeanors in the application even though it is classified as a misdemeanor by law.

Page 19: Unless the offense involved alcohol or drugs, you may exclude: 1. Traffic tickets, and 2. Violations with fines of $250 or less

Are you a Texas resident? In the TMDSAS handbook, traffic violations are not to be listed as misdemeanors in the application even though it is classified as a misdemeanor by law.

Page 19: Unless the offense involved alcohol or drugs, you may exclude: 1. Traffic tickets, and 2. Violations with fines of $250 or less
Thanks. I am helping an applicant answer this specifically for a&m who was concerned about lying. The speedtrap tickets are usually $350 so I am curious how they came up with 250 limit.

Thanks. I am helping an applicant answer this specifically for a&m who was concerned about lying. The speedtrap tickets are usually $350 so I am curious how they came up with 250 limit.
Ahh I see. Maybe I am misinterpreting the rule but it says to exclude 1) traffic tickets and 2) violations with fines of $250 or less.
So, even though the violation in this case is over $250, it is still a traffic ticket so you do not have to report it.

@wysdoc may have a different suggestion however so I would wait on their response! Best of luck to the applicant.

Ahh I see. Maybe I am misinterpreting the rule but it says to exclude 1) traffic tickets and 2) violations with fines of $250 or less.
So, even though the violation in this case is over $250, it is still a traffic ticket so you do not have to report it.

@wysdoc may have a different suggestion however so I would wait on their response! Best of luck to the applicant.
I don’t know any more about this than you

I guess you have to separate the two as two different things..

Just for my peace of mind, how long did it take for them to process your secondary fee to be marked ready for review? I know it can take 5-10 business days but anyone have it marked "true" sooner than that? I paid the fee early this week!

Just for my peace of mind, how long did it take for them to process your secondary fee to be marked ready for review? I know it can take 5-10 business days but anyone have it marked "true" sooner than that? I paid the fee early this week!
I don't remember exactly, but I think I was marked ready to review after 6-7 days

Worth applying OOS with no ties?
If you like their mission, have stats close to the medians, or especially if you are an engineering type interested in EnMed, throw your application in!
Overall admit rate of OOS applicants to TMDSAS schools is about 8%, overall in-state rate about 30%.

Paid mine yesterday and was marked true this morning!

My secondary application and fee have been marked as true, but my primary application or MCAT scores were not marked as true even though my app transmitted on 6/8 so I was wondering if this was normal.

My secondary application and fee have been marked as true, but my primary application or MCAT scores were not marked as true even though my app transmitted on 6/8 so I was wondering if this was normal.
It takes a while. There portal even says it can take up to 6-8 weeks. Give it some time. If you’re really worried the admissions email is super helpful I emailed her a few times, but they take about ~2 days to respond

Does it look bad if you do not answer the optional 4th prompt (4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.) I really have no idea what field I want to enter.
Isn’t there SOME part of medicine you find interesting? It doesn’t commit you to doing that. I think it would be odd to not say anything to this prompt.

Does it look bad if you do not answer the optional 4th prompt (4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.) I really have no idea what field I want to enter.
Why do you want to study Medicine? If you cant answer that, how are you about to commit 7 years of your life at a minimum studying medicine?

Did anyone else's portal get rid of the check list? Last week my portal had "true" marked on all of them and this week the check list is completely gone and my screen just says "application under review." I am probably just being neurotic but not having the check list there anymore makes me a bit nervous

Did anyone else's portal get rid of the check list? Last week my portal had "true" marked on all of them and this week the check list is completely gone and my screen just says "application under review." I am probably just being neurotic but not having the check list there anymore makes me a bit nervous
Mine has been like that for over two weeks! I think it may switch to that once the checklist is complete so it’s a good sign. :)

Mine is still saying primary and mcat as not true and I transmitted on 6/15. Is that fine? And does this mean I will not be considered complete until that is linked?

Mine is still saying primary and mcat as not true and I transmitted on 6/15. Is that fine? And does this mean I will not be considered complete until that is linked?
Hmm...that is strange. I submitted my primary application June 2nd and got transmitted June 15th as well. However, I was marked true for everything shortly after submitting my secondaries a week ago.

Maybe someone else can help you out...but I would try reaching out to Texas A&M. Did you make sure to go onto AAMC and get them to send out your MCAT score? Submitting the primaries doesn't do that. You have to do that on your own.

Hmm...that is strange. I submitted my primary application June 2nd and got transmitted June 15th as well. However, I was marked true for everything shortly after submitting my secondaries a week ago.

Maybe someone else can help you out...but I would try reaching out to Texas A&M. Did you make sure to go onto AAMC and get them to send out your MCAT score? Submitting the primaries doesn't do that. You have to do that on your own.
What do you mean about MCAT? DId you have to go and ask for them to send to TAMU specifically?

What do you mean about MCAT? DId you have to go and ask for them to send to TAMU specifically?
When you apply to AMCAS schools your MCAT score is automatically released to AMCAS, but you have to log back in to your MCAT portal and specifically ask them to release your scores to TMDSAS. It will then go to any TMDSAS schools you apply to.

I got secondaries from other TMDSAS schools but not Texas A&M. Do they not send secondaries out to everybody???