*** The Official Loma Linda U School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if Loma Linda offers any scholarships, and if it's solely merit based?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a good person to recommend apartments or rooms to rent in the area, but I would recommend applying to one of the residence halls here, Daniells Hall or Lindsay Hall. That way if you have trouble finding an apartment or if you have difficulty qualifying for one, you at least have a place to stay when school starts. If you chose to apply for one of the residence halls, you should do so as soon as possible. The deposit is only $200, so if you decide to not stay in the residence halls and it's too late to give 2 weeks notice, you're only out a couple hundred.
There are out of campus university housing. Very close to campus, moderately priced. Contact housing office

Dropped my OOS acceptance yesterday. Hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the R today. Complete end of August, interviewed twice both in November. Good luck to you all, LLU is a great school~

Interview #1

Date:
1/17/19
Residency: CA
GPA: 3.480 oGPA/ 3.435 sGPA
DAT: 22AA/22TS/22PAT

Reactions: 5 users
Is there a Facebook group for LLUSD Class of 2023?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
I am a class officer for the Class of 2022. We suggest you guys starting your own Facebook group and then our class officers will join and answer any questions you have. if one of us starts at we will always be an administrator and we do not want that. Additionally, feel free to ask me any questions you might have on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
A group has been created on Facebook!

Last edited:
www.facebook.com/ groups/ 255696862012492/

Here is the link to the group (without spaces), hopefully it works. Facebook's search function for groups doesn't work well for some reason.

Just to clarify, delete the spaces after the "/"s to make the link useable, otherwise it won't work. Congratulations on your acceptances!

www.facebook.com/ groups/ 255696862012492/

Here is the link to the group (without spaces), hopefully it works. Facebook's search function for groups doesn't work well for some reason.

Can anyone give me some details about the interview process and how you prepared for it? Mine is tomorrow!

Can anyone give me some details about the interview process and how you prepared for it? Mine is tomorrow!
It is one of the most laid back interview you can get. It is a one on one interview and you do not wait in a lobby with 100 other candidates. There might be one more candidate in the waiting room with you but you don't really get to converse. Get there a bit early to find parking. You can get it validated at the admissions front desk if you pay for parking. Go to the dental building and take the elevator up to the admissions office. Smile and talk (be yourself :)) to the front desk and tell them that about your interview and they will give you a form to fill and also a quick essay. The prompt was pretty straight forward. Then you wait anxiously :) until the person interviewing you comes. Give a good solid handshake proceed to the interview room. Proceed with confident and show them why you should attend LLUSD and why are you a potential fit with everyone at LLUSD. After the interview you have the option for a tour and that's it. I'm assuming you have already been preparing a little for interviews in general since you're on SDN. Depending on who you get you can get the common questions... Why dentistry? What makes you a good fit? What are some of your weaknesses? When I had my interview, it felt like I was in office hours... Think about it like you're having a conversation with a professor. I had a bunch of common questions that were asked in dental interviews and I made sure I had a decent response for them, so that if asked it would not throw me off. DO NOT make a script and recite from it because people can tell, instead you can make a script to be prepared but let the conversation flow naturally like I did. Go there early and strike a confident pose, take a deep breath and tell yourself you got this. Stay positive, smile and be yourself! Your numbers are solid and now they want to get to know you. Congrats on the interview and good luck!

I got rejected last week from the interview...here were my stats:
SCI GPA: 3.24
Overall GPA: 3.23
BIO: 20
CHEM: 22
OCHEM: 30
RC: 19
QR: 23
TS: 22
AA: 23
PAT: 26

I called the office and they told me that my BCP GPA did not meet 3.3, but that was pretty much it. I'm a bit disappointed especially since I just finished taking that second biochem course over the summer and I received an A for the class. I'm planning to meet with them to ask if they would reconsider my application. Does anyone know if they allow appeals?

*UPDATE*

So the same week I received the email that I was rejected, I contacted the admissions office, and they were able to set up a meeting with one of the coordinators (not going to mention names for privacy purposes). This person was very understanding, especially when I explained that I took and aced a summer biochemistry class to meet their prereqs. After this person looked at my overall application, I was offered an opportunity to appeal. I was then to write a one-page essay to why I would be fit for Loma Linda...but I think I wrote nearly two pages. Basically poured my heart out and kept it very positive. This was back in November.

Last month, which was January, I received a follow-up email which also included an invitation to a one-on-one interview. I had my meeting last week, and like what most of the comments say, it was very relaxed and easy-going. I prepared well without sounding too rehearsed. There was one particular question that caught me by surprise which was "What do you think is the difference between religion and spirituality?" Me being a non-denominational Christian, I did a bit of research into SDA, just in case for any faith-based questions. Regardless, I answered as genuinely as possible. After an hour of going back and forth with our conversation, I was so relieved, but it was an enjoyable experience, and I hope the interviewer felt the same as well!

Reactions: 2 users
just got accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the policy on helix piercings and dyed hair at LLUSD? I heard that some schools are extremely strict about these things.

*UPDATE*

I'm currently on my way to New York for another school interview. Just as I land, I received an email... I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED AND WILL BE COMMITING TO THE SCHOOL! I dropped the interview I had scheduled for this week and will be celebrating with my dad in NY for the next few days.

It's been a crazy journey...from being rejected, challenging the admissions committee, going with the appeal process, and waiting almost 8 months to finally get to the end of all this!

Looking forward to meeting my class later this year! Thanks to the people in this forum who responded and followed alonged.
*UPDATE*

So the same week I received the email that I was rejected, I contacted the admissions office, and they were able to set up a meeting with one of the coordinators (not going to mention names for privacy purposes). This person was very understanding, especially when I explained that I took and aced a summer biochemistry class to meet their prereqs. After this person looked at my overall application, I was offered an opportunity to appeal. I was then to write a one-page essay to why I would be fit for Loma Linda...but I think I wrote nearly two pages. Basically poured my heart out and kept it very positive. This was back in November.

Last month, which was January, I received a follow-up email which also included an invitation to a one-on-one interview. I had my meeting last week, and like what most of the comments say, it was very relaxed and easy-going. I prepared well without sounding too rehearsed. There was one particular question that caught me by surprise which was "What do you think is the difference between religion and spirituality?" Me being a non-denominational Christian, I did a bit of research into SDA, just in case for any faith-based questions. Regardless, I answered as genuinely as possible. After an hour of going back and forth with our conversation, I was so relieved, but it was an enjoyable experience, and I hope the interviewer felt the same as well!

Reactions: 4 users
*UPDATE*

I'm currently on my way to New York for another school interview. Just as I land, I received an email... I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED AND WILL BE COMMITING TO THE SCHOOL! I dropped the interview I had scheduled for this week and will be celebrating with my dad in NY for the next few days.

It's been a crazy journey...from being rejected, challenging the admissions committee, going with the appeal process, and waiting almost 8 months to finally get to the end of all this!

Looking forward to meeting my class later this year! Thanks to the people in this forum who responded and followed alonged.

Congrats on getting in. I've been cheering for you since you posted the comment on appealing. Have fun in NY and looking forward to meeting you and everyone else. Join the FB group if you haven't already so we can all stalk each other :)

And congrats to oticat on getting in. I have no idea regarding the policies of helix piercing(googled it up) and dyed hair. Pretty sure if it's subtle you can get away with it (adhere to the professionalism that LLUSD desires from us). -Just assumptions

Reactions: 1 users
I just had my phone interview today, Esther mentioned that the class wasn't full yet. So best of luck to everyone!

Second deposit is due on May 1st for LLUSD and March 1st is when the schools report the names of the people that have paid deposits to AADSAS -- Information taken from the official handbook. After March 1st, schools will roughly know how many students are dead-set on attending their school. :) This will open up spots for people who are either on the waitlist or waiting for an interview.

Stay positive, keep smiling and ReachOn!

Does anyone know the policy on helix piercings and dyed hair at LLUSD? I heard that some schools are extremely strict about these things.
Hey! I have my ears completely pierced. One girl has a small wrist tattoo. Another girl has slightly purple hair. As long as it's subtle, it's ok!

This one was really hard, but I will be giving up my seat here to attend my state school. Hope one of you guys on the waitlist get accepted soon!

How are you guys going to deal with the tuition fee?

Cry a bit :), work hard, have faith and throw in some luck. The majority of dental students are going to be loans through the government. There are other ways to help deal with the tuition such as HPSP, NHSC and stuff which requires you to serve them after graduation. There are lots of posts about the dental school tuition you can look at.

Stay positive

Just got placed onto the alternate list 20 minutes ago. Wish me luck guys :)

ACCEPTED!!! 11:23 PST. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 4 users
If there are any LDS students coming our way, send me a message!

Bridge Program here. Just got the acceptance phone call. Since I practically lived in the building for the last two years, I can answer questions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist and the probability of significant movement on the waitlist this late in the cycle?

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist and the probability of significant movement on the waitlist this late in the cycle?
Not sure how many is on the waitlist. The second deposit is due may 1 so there might be movement then. In the past cycle ls, there have been people that got accepted off the waitlist but I don't know how many for that either.

I've been looking for the FB group too. The other years had their FB group in Jan. I want to meet my potential peers :)

Try LLUDDS 2013. I made one with the Bridge Program people already.

There is already a facebook page for the class of 2023 with 50 members already.
Search for "Loma Linda University School of Dentistry DDS Class of 2023"

If there are any LDS students coming our way, send me a message!

Just curious, I’d like to know to what extent LDS applicants are getting accepted there. I know 3 individuals personally who got denied at Loma Linda because they were LDS. Like, out of those 3, 2 of them had 3.9 GPA, 21 DAT. And they straight up told them it was because of their faith. What’s your experience/explanation??

Anyone know if any spots opened up after the May 1st deposit deadline?

Turned down my spot yesterday! Hopefully one of you gets it :)

Just curious, I’d like to know to what extent LDS applicants are getting accepted there. I know 3 individuals personally who got denied at Loma Linda because they were LDS. Like, out of those 3, 2 of them had 3.9 GPA, 21 DAT. And they straight up told them it was because of their faith. What’s your experience/explanation??

Yeah that is a complete lie. They love having LDS students here. Its hard to fill a class with only SDA students so they at least know that LDS students will follow their honor code. Plus we have a tendency to do pretty well and be stable students. The class above me has like 6 LDS students out of 100 and ours has 3.

It used to be a lot more but schools like University of Utah, Roseman and midwestern have pulled a lot of LDS students away.

But they would never turn down due to being LDA, quite the opposite it would only help.

And finally even if they did reject due to their faith, they 100% would not tell them as I am pretty positive that is illegal.

Yeah that is a complete lie. They love having LDS students here. Its hard to fill a class with only SDA students so they at least know that LDS students will follow their honor code. Plus we have a tendency to do pretty well and be stable students. The class above me has like 6 LDS students out of 100 and ours has 3.

It used to be a lot more but schools like University of Utah, Roseman and midwestern have pulled a lot of LDS students away.

But they would never turn down due to being LDA, quite the opposite it would only help.

And finally even if they did reject due to their faith, they 100% would not tell them as I am pretty positive that is illegal.

It was 3 people. Three separate individuals in two different application cycles. So it’s not a freak thing. And the school TOLD them it was because they were LDS. They said they’ve had too many turn them down in the past. So that isn’t a direction they wanted to go.

And they’re private. They can do whatever the heck they want. Same reason Meharry and Howard only accept minorities. It’s just part of the PC of the whole thing.

It was 3 people. Three separate individuals in two different application cycles. So it’s not a freak thing. And the school TOLD them it was because they were LDS. They said they’ve had too many turn them down in the past. So that isn’t a direction they wanted to go.

And they’re private. They can do whatever the heck they want. Same reason Meharry and Howard only accept minorities. It’s just part of the PC of the whole thing.

Look idk what you want me to tell you, the school loses nothing by giving acceptances out to students even if they end up not going there. The schools gives out way more acceptances then end up coming. There are plenty of LDS people here and will continue to be as well.

And just because a school is private doesnt mean they can discriminate (at least not publicly). Meharry obviously prefera minorities but they could never tell someone you got rejected based on being white. Likewise LLU is not stupid enough to tell someone they are rejected based on their faith. (Which again doesnt make sense in the first place since the school struggles to find people willing to keep the standard to begin with).

Im not saying they wouldnt take an SDA over an LDS given the same stats. But when would they be TOLD it was because they are LDS. Rejection letters just say exactly that, you are rejected. If these people called and asked why I gurantee “because you are LDS” is not the reason.

The school isn’t infallible, but this is ridiculous. Ive heard of a school like Case Western not preferring LDS because they used to accept a lot and LDS students would never donate money back to the school because we are already donating 10% back to tithing. Even then its just here-say, again though the school would never outright tell someone it is because of their faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.