The Republic of Texas XXII: Because the Union Joined Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the UTMB'ers:

One of my UTH friends told me the other day that UTMB may be losing its connection with Austin to do rotations -- is that true? I have a feeling its BS but just checking.
Also heard that a lot of students choose not to rotations in Austin - what's the reasoning behind that? They just really like Galveston? For me it's really one of the highlights of UTMB.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for the UTMB'ers:

One of my UTH friends told me the other day that UTMB may be losing its connection with Austin to do rotations -- is that true? I have a feeling its BS but just checking.
Also heard that a lot of students choose not to rotations in Austin - what's the reasoning behind that? They just really like Galveston? For me it's really one of the highlights of UTMB.

1. Noper

2. Haven't heard that, but haven't talked to third years about it. Student surveys indicate the Austin kids like the rotations there at least as much as the Galvy ones, probably more iirc.

1. Noper

2. Haven't heard that, but haven't talked to third years about it. Student surveys indicate the Austin kids like the rotations there at least as much as the Galvy ones, probably more iirc.

Awesome, Thanks! I think he was just telling me that because he wants me to rank UTH over UTMB :p

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up guys, longtime lurker here, I just found out I into Texas Tech-Lubbock (finally somewhere!) yesterday and was wondering if you guys know if this was a result of someone declining their acceptance offer or it was just another round of pre-match acceptances. I barely interviewed there on the 12th so I don't know if that has to do with anything. Also I just wanted to say congrats to all the people who got acceptances and for those who didn't keep your head up because I am the poster child for unlikely acceptances (I didn't graduate from high school, I was kicked out of college TWICE, I applied late, etc.) and by some miracle I got in so don't get down, in the end, it's worth it.

Awesome, Thanks! I think he was just telling me that because he wants me to rank UTH over UTMB :p

Yup.

You might find this helpful as well. First is the last general report on the program there(Nov '07). Second is a presentation they give 3rd year's about their coming clinical rotations...some neat info describing what the rotations are like(it also compares galvy and austin side-by-side as well). Third is the Austin orientation manual.

http://meded.utmb.edu/orme/AustinInformation/UpdateonAustinStudentPrograms090507.pdf

mhtml:http://meded.utmb.edu/orme/Year3Schedule%20Info/08-09/Y3PLANNING030308.mht!Y3PLANNING030308_files/frame.htm

http://meded.utmb.edu/orme/AustinInformation/08-09/08-09AustinOrientationManual062308.pdf

Enjoy...

Last edited:
What's up guys, longtime lurker here, I just found out I into Texas Tech-Lubbock (finally somewhere!) yesterday and was wondering if you guys know if this was a result of someone declining their acceptance offer or it was just another round of pre-match acceptances. I barely interviewed there on the 12th so I don't know if that has to do with anything. Also I just wanted to say congrats to all the people who got acceptances and for those who didn't keep your head up because I am the poster child for unlikely acceptances (I didn't graduate from high school, I was kicked out of college TWICE, I applied late, etc.) and by some miracle I got in so don't get down, in the end, it's worth it.

Good for you, man. That's awesome.

And yeah, good luck for those of us still playing the game come this week. Me, aggie08, and company... ;)

Holy crap! Well done, sir, well done. :claps::claps::claps:

Congrats on that Tech acceptance, man! Incidentally, I'd imagine it's probably because they did a small second batch of prematch offers yesterday to the people who interviewed in the last week or so, but I doubt you care too much either way, as you're going to be a doctor! :)

Good for you, man. That's awesome.

And yeah, good luck for those of us still playing the game come this week. Me, aggie08, and company... ;)

Awesome! I am part of a company!:D

Is anyone watching Tech get annihilated by OU? It's so sad... they couldn't even go down fighting...

Yeah... Have to say I was rooting for the Sooners, but I wanted it to at least be competitive so the Longhorns would stay in front of the Sooners :p

Yeah, I was rooting for the Sooners and then somewhere around the second quarter, I was like wait a minute... then switched to cheering for Tech. But then they sucked it up so bad, I just gave up.

Thanks guys :) for the kind congrats.

Oh and to Exi and company just know we're all pulling for all of you and I know it's very easy to become cynical and discouraged (after Nov. 15 came went with no news it happened to me) but for real if I got in so can so can you. Good Luck to all of the "Company"! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
so, i just saw the tech score... what the heck happened?

funkmonk, if you come to Texas, which sports teams you gonna ally yourself with? Horns? Aggies? Raiders? You really have to pick your sides when you immigrate!

... any chance I could get you rooting for the Spurs? :D

Don't listen to him! But yes for the Horns. :D

god smiled . . .and it was a new day for the longhorns.

Did you go to UT Jolie? It looks like a lot of UT kids go to Baylor.. there was a large constituent there when I interviewed too.

funkmonk, if you come to Texas, which sports teams you gonna ally yourself with? Horns? Aggies? Raiders? You really have to pick your sides when you immigrate!

... any chance I could get you rooting for the Spurs? :D

I am not sure... I couldn't care less about sports. When I was little, and every other kids parents were taking them to baseball/ football/ hockey/ basketball games, my parents took me to libraries and bookstores...:laugh: And before anyone asks, yes I am a quintessential nerd:rolleyes:... for which reason I will stick out like a sore thumb if I decide to "immigrate":laugh: to Texas...

Who do you guys think I should root for and why?

EDIT: also its funny: Aggies reminds me of UC Davis, Raiders reminds me of Indiana Jones, and Longhorns reminds me of Land Before Time (the oversimplified preschooler's movie about dinosaurs... I have a brother who is 8 years younger than me :rolleyes:)

I am not sure... I couldn't care less about sports. When I was little, and every other kids parents were taking them to baseball/ football/ hockey/ basketball games, my parents took me to libraries and bookstores...:laugh: And before anyone asks, yes I am a quintessential nerd:rolleyes:... for which reason I will stick out like a sore thumb if I decide to "immigrate":laugh: to Texas...

EDIT: also its funny: Aggies reminds me of UC Davis, Raiders reminds me of Indiana Jones, and Longhorns reminds me of Land Before Time (the oversimplified preschooler's movie about dinosaurs... I have a brother who is 8 years younger than me :rolleyes:)

Oh man, the Land Before Time... man, no need make excuses justify watching that, it's a GREAT movie (as long as you're talking about the first one; the sequels were all awful... yes, I've seen most of them, what? :)) Good times, good times...

As far as sports teams go, all I can say is the Spurs won't ever disappoint you after getting your hopes up early in the season, whereas the Rockets will always look awesome for the first half of the season and then half the team will get injured, and the Mavs will usually do alright until they reach the playoffs and they choke.

Though if you DO go with the Spurs and wind up at UTSW, I'd probably not make your allegiance TOO obvious in Dallas. I actually have a Spurs 2007 title hat that I wear every day (no really, I'm completely serious! it's filthy too!), but I never had the courage to wear it around Dallas when I was up there for research :p

I can say for certain that if you end up at Southwestern, you will wonder why everyone has crazy mood swings on Mondays in the Fall and winter. Then you will realize that it all depends on whether the Cowboys won or lost the previous afternoon. School alumni aside, DFW is definitely pro football territory.

Oh man, the Land Before Time... man, no need make excuses justify watching that, it's a GREAT movie (as long as you're talking about the first one; the sequels were all awful... yes, I've seen most of them, what? :)) Good times, good times...

As far as sports teams go, all I can say is the Spurs won't ever disappoint you after getting your hopes up early in the season, whereas the Rockets will always look awesome for the first half of the season and then half the team will get injured, and the Mavs will usually do alright until they reach the playoffs and they choke.

Though if you DO go with the Spurs and wind up at UTSW, I'd probably not make your allegiance TOO obvious in Dallas. I actually have a Spurs 2007 title hat that I wear every day (no really, I'm completely serious! it's filthy too!), but I never had the courage to wear it around Dallas when I was up there for research :p

The first one was a good movie. I remember I cried when Littlefoot's mom died... hey I was five at the time...

For b-ball, I remember that when I lived in El Paso, one of my good friends liked the Spurs, but outside of Texas, I have not heard anyone talk about them... I hear about the Rockets, cuz in So Cal there is a large Asian community, and Yao is on their team, and besides that, everyone here has Lakers/ Clippers fever... But I do not hear much about the Mavericks either... although every time I think about the Mavericks, I think of Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and I always end up laughing...:laugh: (Sorry if this is a sore point, but the funny part is in Dallas more people voted Democrat rather than Republican... which, considering it is Texas, I found odd...)

I can say for certain that if you end up at Southwestern, you will wonder why everyone has crazy mood swings on Mondays in the Fall and winter. Then you will realize that it all depends on whether the Cowboys won or lost the previous afternoon. School alumni aside, DFW is definitely pro football territory.

Everyone sure loves the Cowboys. If I end up in UTSW, I will probably live in Irving, so I guess it will be even more Cowboys crazy considering the stadium is there... or are they moving to Arlington?

The first one was a good movie. I remember I cried when Littlefoot's mom died... hey I was five at the time...

Totally understand :)

funkydrmonkey said:
For b-ball, I remember that when I lived in El Paso, one of my good friends liked the Spurs, but outside of Texas, I have not heard anyone talk about them... I hear about the Rockets, cuz in So Cal there is a large Asian community, and Yao is on their team, and besides that, everyone here has Lakers/ Clippers fever... But I do not hear much about the Mavericks either... although every time I think about the Mavericks, I think of Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and I always end up laughing...:laugh: (Sorry if this is a sore point, but the funny part is in Dallas more people voted Democrat rather than Republican... which, considering it is Texas, I found odd...)

When did you live in El Paso???

Anyways, nobody talks about the Spurs because there's really nothing to say. The formula hasn't changed in 6 years: Tim Duncan+Tony Parker+Manu Ginobili+9 semi-warm bodies=possible championship. Everybody knows this, but that doesn't mean it's any easier to stop them; it just doesn't make for good TV discussion because there's nothing new to talk about; a commentator won't get any bonus points for saying "I think the Spurs are gonna be good this year," cuz everybody knew that already.

But in San Antonio, you can't escape Spurs mania; you've got to come down sometime during playoff time, and you literally can't go five blocks without seeing some business that has "Go Spurs Go!" painted on the window or a banner hanging somewhere. The Spurs may be small time around the country, but here in San Antonio, they're a way of life! Literally, every time we get eliminated from the playoffs, it's like the entire city goes into mourning for three months until the Cowboys start up.

But the most important thing in your post... there is such a thing as Clippers fever? I'd always assumed that was a myth.

(Sorry if this is a sore point, but the funny part is in Dallas more people voted Democrat rather than Republican... which, considering it is Texas, I found odd...)

i'm not sure where the majority of the texas thread stands, but i believe houston, dallas, austin, san antonio, el paso, and south texas all went blue this election.

Everyone sure loves the Cowboys. If I end up in UTSW, I will probably live in Irving, so I guess it will be even more Cowboys crazy considering the stadium is there... or are they moving to Arlington?

They're going to Arlington.

For the record, I'm red, but I do believe that San Antonio went Democratic this year. I think it was half to do with the popularity of Obama, but I also just think there was a poor voter turnout because the Republicans knew that even if they personally didn't vote that enough other people would still vote for McCain so that he'd carry Texas.

Hey now, some us true Houstonians love the Titans - grew up in sky blue Oiler sheets, had a cabinet full of the Oilers glasses from the gas station, went to high school with Warren Moon's daughters, and followed the team to Tenn :)

Totally understand :)

When did you live in El Paso???

Anyways, nobody talks about the Spurs because there's really nothing to say. The formula hasn't changed in 6 years: Tim Duncan+Tony Parker+Manu Ginobili+9 semi-warm bodies=possible championship. Everybody knows this, but that doesn't mean it's any easier to stop them; it just doesn't make for good TV discussion because there's nothing new to talk about; a commentator won't get any bonus points for saying "I think the Spurs are gonna be good this year," cuz everybody knew that already.

But in San Antonio, you can't escape Spurs mania; you've got to come down sometime during playoff time, and you literally can't go five blocks without seeing some business that has "Go Spurs Go!" painted on the window or a banner hanging somewhere. The Spurs may be small time around the country, but here in San Antonio, they're a way of life! Literally, every time we get eliminated from the playoffs, it's like the entire city goes into mourning for three months until the Cowboys start up.

But the most important thing in your post... there is such a thing as Clippers fever? I'd always assumed that was a myth.

El Paso= 2nd grade---> end of 5th grade... basically almost all of elementary school... So when I say I have ties to Texas, I mean it, as in having lived there, and having family/ friends there...

About the clippers fever... yah it exists, but it is overshadowed by Lakers mania which is why it is not as highly seen outside California. The clippers are loved usually only by all the Laker haters though... The rest of Socal and parts of Norcal love the Lakers... My PI has season tickets to their games...

the funny part is in Dallas more people voted Democrat rather than Republican... which, considering it is Texas, I found odd...

Not really that odd. If you look at a lot of the states that voted Republican, the major urban centers tend to be more liberal/Democrat. St. Louis, Atlanta, Kansas City, Nashville were all part of counties that were blue even though their states were red.

I'm not trying to ignite a political debate. But I grew up in a democrat family in Dallas and don't think it's that uncommon, even though texas bleeds red.

For the record, I'm red

wait.. you are? :eek:

225547212_f94a81be68.jpg

i kid again! *sigh* i really should have more to do on a saturday night. in any case, if you end up going to baylor, be careful with that spurs jersey ;)

For the record, I'm red, but I do believe that San Antonio went Democratic this year. I think it was half to do with the popularity of Obama, but I also just think there was a poor voter turnout because the Republicans knew that even if they personally didn't vote that enough other people would still vote for McCain so that he'd carry Texas.

Spurs, I just lost all respect for you... :diebanana:

Haha, I am just kidding... I am actually very socially conservative, which is where I fall into a trap... basically I am a Republocrat... I love the Republican social policies... I voted Yes on California Props 4 and 8... which if I told people who were not my close friends, would cause me to get lynched here in SoCal:eek:... read up on Prop 8 passing and the controversy... it is crazy how much it has blown out of control...if you care...
It is just fiscally, I think the gov't should provide for everything like welfare, social security, universal healthcare, etc... so I am in a real dilemma when it comes to voting time... but essentially, I can find points of agreements with anyone, and I provide very good political debates... although I have been called a closeted Republican even though usually I vote Democrat...

wait.. you are? :eek:

i kid again! *sigh* i really should have more to do on a saturday night. in any case, if you end up going to baylor, be careful with that spurs jersey ;)

Lol, yeah, haven't decided what to do about that yet... I'm guessing I'll probably get to wear it twice a year, when I go to the Spurs-Rockets games in Houston, plus whenever I get to go home :p

funkmonk said:
Spurs, I just lost all respect for you... :diebanana:

Haha, I am just kidding... I am actually very socially conservative, which is where I fall into a trap... basically I am a Republocrat... I love the Republican social policies... I voted Yes on California Props 4 and 8... which if I told people who were not my close friends, would cause me to get lynched here in SoCal:eek:... read up on Prop 8 passing and the controversy... it is crazy how much it has blown out of control...if you care...
It is just fiscally, I think the gov't should provide for everything like welfare, social security, universal healthcare, etc... so I am in a real dilemma when it comes to voting time... but essentially, I can find points of agreements with anyone, and I provide very good political debates... although I have been called a closeted Republican even though usually I vote Democrat...

Hehe, yeah, my gf is the same way, socially conservative yet often votes Democrat. It's all good, Democrats definitely have a point on some issues; I'd have trouble at my small, liberal university if I couldn't deal :)

Lol I'm a bit surprised people didn't already know I was Republican, as anyone who looked at the Religion thread last week would've probably seen that my ideology on a bunch of contentious issues falls in line mostly with the Republican viewpoint. :) It's all good, and I'm not trying to start another debate (though if anyone wants to PM me to ask my stances and start up a well-intentioned debate, my box is always open), just throwing it out there to let people know where I stand.

I love the Republican social policies... I voted Yes on California Props 4 and 8... which if I told people who were not my close friends, would cause me to get lynched here in SoCal:eek:... read up on Prop 8 passing and the controversy... it is crazy how much it has blown out of control...if you care...

"I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug."

Warmth, sympathy, understanding, and Republican social policies...one of these things is not like the other...

You don't have to go to SW to get mood swings, I get them all the time here in Austin. Damned Dallas teams..............

"I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug."

Warmth, sympathy, understanding, and Republican social policies...one of these things is not like the other...

I would say sympathy... haha... but if you read the other post, you should realize that this takes a back seat to the economic and fiscal side of the governmental policies, which is what I place the most emphasis on... I believe in specific things but I will not cram it down your throat, so I am not going to force anyone to take up my beliefs... I hold them, and as long as I am allowed to hold these beliefs... I will... the propositions are where my republican side shows, while the candidate elections is where my democratic side shows... Does this make sense... it is 11:45 here and I am not sure if my brain has become mush yet...:laugh:

You don't have to go to SW to get mood swings, I get them all the time here in Austin. Damned Dallas teams..............

I never realized people were this obsessed with Dallas...

Quick poll: Dallas or Houston?

I personally liked Dallas better... Houston is too crowded and has too many highrises... if I want this, then I will go to New York or Pittsburgh... I liked the wide open spaces that Dallas had.. and it also has UTSW;)

I personally liked Dallas better... Houston is too crowded and has too many highrises... if I want this, then I will go to New York or Pittsburgh... I liked the wide open spaces that Dallas had.. and it also has UTSW;)

San Antonio, obv! Geez, what gives, it doesn't even get in the poll? You're fired!

San Antonio, obv! Geez, what gives, it doesn't even get in the poll? You're fired!

Note: Please do not e-kill me after reading this post...

I have been to San Antonio once, and I actually hated it:oops::(:oops:... sorry... I dunno, it is too hot and muggy... I have lived in dry heat for most of my life, and I am not used to wet heat... which is another reason, I am not too much of a fan of Houston... that and the Hurricanes... sorry but anything over 2 inches of rain is too much for me:laugh:

San Antonio does have a saving grace though...there was this lake about 45 min outside San Antonio where there was a Great Blue Heron, that I tried to take home, when I was 9 (I had just finished reading Blue Heron by Avi)... lets just say, it did not go too well and it involved me, running after a bird and crying when I couldn't catch it, and my dad trying to explain to me that I would not be able to keep it even if I did catch it... wow, I cried a lot when I was a kid

I vote Houston - Dallas is too rich for my liking :)

First, where does Dallas get off calling their Aquarium the "World" Aquarium? Honestly...

Second, it has no link to the sea - its just unnatural! (Maybe its just the Navy background speaking)

Finally, Victory Park isn't a park at all....:laugh:

I have been to San Antonio once, and I actually loved it:oops::(:oops:

Fixed :)

In all actuality, if that's the case then you'd probably prefer Dallas, though I think in all of the non-June-August months SA has just as good weather as the other cities if not better. Plus we've got the best Mexican food, the best basketball team, the riverwalk, Sea World... plus our traffic is never as bad as the other two; rush hour is actually just one hour in SA!

If I had to choose between Dallas and Houston, though, I'd probably take Dallas. I'm not a fan of Dallas traffic, but Houston's is just outrageous... plus I'm not thrilled about the constant cloud of smog that hovers over downtown Houston...

If I had to choose between Dallas and Houston, though, I'd probably take Dallas. I'm not a fan of Dallas traffic, but Houston's is just outrageous... plus I'm not thrilled about the constant cloud of smog that hovers over downtown Houston...

So, I admit I am a nerd, but when I hear (read?) smog, I think the Simple Measure of Gobbleedygook....and upon realizing that this is my first thought, I die a little bit inside:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMOGhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iSfuaPDcTc

So, I admit I am a nerd, but when I hear (read?) smog, I think the Simple Measure of Gobbleedygook....and upon realizing that this is my first thought, I die a little bit inside:(

It's OK, whenever I hear someone verbally say "smog" I think of Smaug from The Hobbit :)

Wow, I guess my inner nerd is really coming out tonight, huh? :D

It's OK, whenever I hear someone verbally say "smog" I think of Smaug from The Hobbit :)

Whenever someone says smog, I think LA... You can see the brown on the horizon, and flying out of LAX, I you can see the brown cloud above LA...

EDIT:It is 2 1/2 hours past my bedtime. G'night y'all!

The Komodo Dragon in the Houston Zoo is named Smaug...double entendre perhaps :p

AUSTIN!!!! Haha I've lived in Austin most of my life before going against everything and moving to College Station for college. Mostly because my parents live in Austin and I needed to get away. But I grew up in Dallas and have a special place in my heart for that city. Dallas will always have my favorite sports teams no matter where I live. :)

i'm not sure where the majority of the texas thread stands, but i believe houston, dallas, austin, san antonio, el paso, and south texas all went blue this election.

Most large cities go blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.