The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Happening
Shamalamadingdong got weird with that one

Edit: and it was Marky Mark, not Matt Damon

Ya that one was dumb. Cabin in the woods was kinda ridic too but at least it was entertaining. Basically anything involving horror-type creatures is okay, gore/shock films are too try hard

It's incredibly annoying and I feel like this was what the internet looked like when @Bottle of Bear was a kid

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.54.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.54.54 PM.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 42
Ya that one was dumb. Cabin in the woods was kinda ridic too but at least it was entertaining. Basically anything involving horror-type creatures is okay, gore/shock films are too try hard
I love Cabin in the Woods for the meta. It's supposed to be ridic.

I'm a fan of the psychological and paranormal horror myself, serial killers are rad, and then good old gothic horror. Straight up gore is meh in most cases though the Saw series is a guilty pleasure. Monsters/creatures...very much depends on the execution. I like sci-fi horror.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do Underworld/Resident Evil/Van Helsing fall under your Umbrella
Hmmm...Underworld I think is action horror (would be monster horror but the main characters being the "monsters" complicated things), Resident Evil leans more sci-fi horror, Van Helsing leans more dark fantasy.

Yeah, I've been kind of dismayed at the rise of movies where people are basically mutilated for two hours because "humans are the scariest monster" or whatever. Not a fan.

Also I loved Cabin in the Woods, but as a meta film and not as a horror film. It's not scary, it's amusing and a (relatively) thoughtful satire of the genre.
Anything with jump scares immediately ranks low for me.

Or ones that try and build you up to a jump scare.

Or try and creep you out.

Pretty much just horror movies. :p
For me jump scares depend. 99.999% of the time they'e just super lazy ways to make people jump in their seats but there's always a movie or two that does them so well that they're completely perfect and I can't be mad at them. Good jump scares need a lot of atmosphere to be built though and most people don't do that lol.

Although I love when movies do tons of stereotypical jump scare shots (opening and closing a mirror medicine cabinet, turning corners, walking blind down dark hallways, etc.) and never do the jump scare.

Reactions: 2 users
Anything with jump scares immediately ranks low for me.

Or ones that try and build you up to a jump scare.

Or try and creep you out.

Pretty much just horror movies. :p
I love watching horror movies with people who are easily scared :D

Although I love when movies do tons of stereotypical jump scare shots (opening and closing a mirror medicine cabinet, turning corners, walking blind down dark hallways, etc.) and never do the jump scare.
My favorite thing

I love Cabin in the Woods for the meta. It's supposed to be ridic.

I'm a fan of the psychological and paranormal horror myself, serial killers are rad, and then good old gothic horror. Straight up gore is meh in most cases though the Saw series is a guilty pleasure. Monsters/creatures...very much depends on the execution. I like sci-fi horror.
I hate monster movies where they show the damn monster. The thing never looks as scary as the producers think it does and it totally ruins it. Show, like, an eyeball and maybe a claw and let the audience do the rest.

Also re: serial killers. I assume you totally love Se7en?
Hmmm...Underworld I think is action horror (would be monster horror but the main characters being the "monsters" complicated things), Resident Evil leans more sci-fi horror, Van Helsing leans more dark fantasy.
Van Helsing was one of my favorite movies as a kid haha.

I hate monster movies where they show the damn monster. The thing never looks as scary as the producers think it does and it totally ruins it. Show, like, an eyeball and maybe a claw and let the audience do the rest.

Also re: serial killers. I assume you totally love Se7en?

Van Helsing was one of my favorite movies as a kid haha.
That's why most of the time I can't say a monster movie is actually good. Might still be entertaining to watch, but it's not going to make my list of actual good horror movies. That's fine though. I have the movies I like because they are actually good at the horror thing, and then I have the ones I like because they're fun to laugh at.

Se7en is great, would classify as thriller though.

That's why most of the time I can't say a monster movie is actually good. Might still be entertaining to watch, but it's not going to make my list of actual good horror movies. That's fine though. I have the movies I like because they are actually good at the horror thing, and then I have the ones I like because they're fun to laugh at.

Agree Se7en is more of a thriller, it's just the first thing I think of when it comes to serial killers.

Actually, I can't think of any straight horror movies that fall into the serial killer category. Most of the ones I'm coming up with are more spree killers.

Also yeah, monster movies are hard even though I love them. Nobody is going to be as good at it as The Thing though.

Agree Se7en is more of a thriller, it's just the first thing I think of when it comes to serial killers.

Actually, I can't think of any straight horror movies that fall into the serial killer category. Most of the ones I'm coming up with are more spree killers.
That's because serial killer usually kind of makes it thriller, especially if cops are involved. So they toe the line. The big bad in horror is typically supposed to be somewhat supernatural or otherwise not entirely human in nature (hence your slashers - serial killers with some other thing going on). The thriller genre contains a lot of horror tropes but the big bad is typically not supernatural, because it's mixed with action and mystery.

I'm thinking When A Stranger Calls. American Psycho is technically horror (with a heavy dose of black comedy). Sweeney Todd?

ETA: Oh, and similar to When A Stranger Calls, any of the home invasion/survival type ones (kinda toe the line between psychological and killer horror without being to slashy) where you know it's a serial killer but you may not see all the killings, it's just focused on the main character. Especially if the cops are not around. So Hush would fall in this category too.

Last edited:

Let's test

Edit: started hearing sound at ~140 Hz (0:27 seconds)
ears started hurting at 300 Hz
stopped hearing sound at <12k Hz (3:45 seconds)

yeah i could hear through all of them. After 13 I'm not entirely sure if it was extremely high pitched video sounds I was hearing it if it was just my computer, but I was hearing SOMETHING

Edit: no it was definitely the video, rewound it and it picked up immediately

yeah i could hear through all of them. After 13 I'm not entirely sure if it was extremely high pitched video sounds I was hearing it if it was just my computer, but I was hearing SOMETHING

I heard *clear* sound from 80 Hz to 13 kHz

I heard debatable sound for the remainder lol.

Now I want to watch a horror movie, but I need to go to bed soon. :( The boyfriend and I watched Sweeney Todd and Stranger Things this past week, so I'm in the mood for more creepiness.

Now I want to watch a horror movie, but I need to go to bed soon. :( The boyfriend and I watched Sweeney Todd and Stranger Things this past week, so I'm in the mood for more creepiness.
Solid choices.

I need to go to bed too, even if the intricacies of genre, the horror genre in particular, is one of my favorite topics to discuss. In case that wasn't clear.

@WildZoo have you seen House of the Devil? I don't watch much horror but that was a recent-ish one that I enjoyed.

That's because serial killer usually kind of makes it thriller, especially if cops are involved. So they toe the line. The big bad in horror is typically supposed to be somewhat supernatural or otherwise not entirely human in nature (hence your slashers - serial killers with some other thing going on). The thriller genre contains a lot of horror tropes but the big bad is typically not supernatural, because it's mixed with action and mystery.

I'm thinking When A Stranger Calls. American Psycho is technically horror (with a heavy dose of black comedy). Sweeney Todd?

ETA: Oh, and similar to When A Stranger Calls, any of the home invasion/survival type ones (kinda toe the line between psychological and killer horror without being to slashy) where you know it's a serial killer but you may not see all the killings, it's just focused on the main character. Especially if the cops are not around. So Hush would fall in this category too.
Oh man, American Psycho is so funny. I have a big soft spot for hilarious horror movies (intentional or otherwise). I recommend ReAnimator, it's so amazingly ridiculous.

Also I still tend to think of the home invasion movies as spree killings rather than serial killings, but that's me.

It counts as a monster movie, right? :p

What about Jaws, 28 Days Later, and The Descent.

Also how about Scary Movie

Last edited:
I kind of want to see Split when it comes out because I love James McAvoy and think he's a great actor but it's a Shamaface movie so I know my expectations should be reaaaaalllyy low

Oh man, American Psycho is so funny. I have a big soft spot for hilarious horror movies (intentional or otherwise). I recommend ReAnimator, it's so amazingly ridiculous.

Also I still tend to think of the home invasion movies as spree killings rather than serial killings, but that's me.
Same. I listened to the audiobook for American Psycho recently as well. So funny, so disturbing.
I watched ReAnimator a couple months ago, I see it pop up on so many "best horror movies" lists and I'm just like...how are they defining "best" here? Because it should not be on the same list as like, Poltergeist and The Shining :laugh:

Depends on how much killing actually happens. Things like You're Next and The Strangers are different, in my mind, from When A Stranger Calls and Hush.

I kind of want to see Split when it comes out because I love James McAvoy and think he's a great actor but it's a Shamaface movie so I know my expectations should be reaaaaalllyy low
I can't get past the fact that they're trying to be serious with the psychology but it's just. So. Wrong.

Reactions: 3 users