The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about Jaws, 28 Days Later, and The Descent.

Also how about Scary Movie
I love Scary Movie 3 where they spoof Signs lol.

Also I would argue zombie movies are a subset of the monster movie that have sort of broken out into their own category of horror film.

Jaws is fantastic, the descent is okay and like triple scary if you're claustrophobic at all

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What about Jaws, 28 Days Later, and The Descent.

Also how about Scary Movie

Just goes to show how much variety there is in monster horror. Jaws is great of course, even if I do get salty about the public reaction to sharks because of it. I can't remember if I liked 28 Days later or not, and I haven't seen The Descent. Probably too much gore for my mother to show me, and she encouraged much of my horror movie viewing.

Not sure I've ever watched all of Scary Movie now that you mention it :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
Also I would argue zombie movies are a subset of the monster movie that have sort of broken out into their own category of horror film.
Yeah and then you can split zombie movies further into like, virus vs classic undead

Members don't see this ad :)
Just goes to show how much variety there is in monster horror. Jaws is great of course, even if I do get salty about the public reaction to sharks because of it.
Oh that reminds me! During the ~53 hours of flying I did over Christmas, I saw The Shallows with Blake Lively. It was really good.

Same. I listened to the audiobook for American Psycho recently as well. So funny, so disturbing.
I watched ReAnimator a couple months ago, I see it pop up on so many "best horror movies" lists and I'm just like...how are they defining "best" here? Because it should not be on the same list as like, Poltergeist and The Shining :laugh:

Depends on how much killing actually happens. Things like You're Next and The Strangers are different, in my mind, from When A Stranger Calls and Hush.
So fun story I once convinced my RA staff to watch ReAnimator with the building's residents for a Halloween movie night as a joke so now none of them will let me recommend horror movies to them. I would argue it did its job though because the part where the headless guy sticks his severed head in between that girl's legs before he rapes her scarred all of them probably permanently. I now defend ReAnimator as a modern classic to all of them lol.
I can't get past the fact that they're trying to be serious with the psychology but it's just. So. Wrong.
Yeah the psychology there is really really bad. But I watched McAvoy in Filth this summer and could not get over how great that dude is so my love of him might drag me to that movie despite literally every other thing wrong with it lol.

I'm mad too because if Shamaface would focus and get a good editor to stop him from pulling his extra dumb shenanigans he would be a horror director to contend with imo. He is actually really good at building suspense and tension in scenes and does some really creative camera and set work that really adds a lot to his movies. I almost wish someone would write scripts specifically for him, not let him change them at all, and let him direct them because I bet they'd actually be decent to good.

"No no no NO NO GOD EVERYTHING IS WRONG" *flips table*

Either that or they'll die laughing. Depends how uptight they are. :p

I once had to watch Eight Legged Freaks in my arachnids class which I think was mainly an excuse to give us ice cream and my professors reaction to everything was beautiful. She was far more amused than flipping tables though.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds familiar. Does it involve ritual sacrifice?
Yup!

I kind of want to see Split when it comes out because I love James McAvoy and think he's a great actor but it's a Shamaface movie so I know my expectations should be reaaaaalllyy low
Ew, I didn't realize it's a Shyamalan movie. I don't want to see it because like WZ said, their portrayal of dissociative identity disorder looks super inaccurate.

Just goes to show how much variety there is in monster horror. Jaws is great of course, even if I do get salty about the public reaction to sharks because of it. I can't remember if I liked 28 Days later or not, and I haven't seen The Descent. Probably too much gore for my mother to show me, and she encouraged much of my horror movie viewing.
Heh, salty about sharks. Pun intended?

Yeah and then you can split zombie movies further into like, virus vs classic undead
Always split into fast vs slow zombies. :p

I liked 28 Days Later but could not get over how dumb all of the characters are. In the beginning when Cillian Murphy is naked and wandering around London screaming hello I wish they had just killed him there. A bowl of uncooked pasta could think circles around that dude.

I think I cringed when I saw the previews for it. I just love sharks too much.
Every shark movie just wants to be Jaws again and they're all bad at it because of it.
Yup!

Ew, I didn't realize it's a Shyamalan movie. I don't want to see it because like WZ said, their portrayal of dissociative identity disorder looks super inaccurate.

Is there even consensus regarding whether DID truly exists at all? From my understanding it's an extremely controversial diagnosis in the first place and nobody can agree upon diagnostic criteria (and what's in the DSM is vague? Idk).

I mean, it's a totally bunk basis for a movie. I just wanna watch James McAvoy do a one man show while he scares some ladies or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I've seen it. Honestly can't remember what I thought about it though, pretty sure I saw it several years ago, I'm guessing it wasn't a favorite or anything since I don't quite remember.

Always

Always split into fast vs slow zombies. :p

I liked 28 Days Later but could not get over how dumb all of the characters are. In the beginning when Cillian Murphy is naked and wandering around London screaming hello I wish they had just killed him there. A bowl of uncooked pasta could think circles around that dude.
Fast zombies are a disgrace to zombie kind :rage: Kidding, I don't care that much, but I think anyway slow ones tend to be classic undead and fast ones tend to be virus. Might not hold true for all cases.

I think I watched it for a movie night event in undergrad and I can't remember a damn thing about it for some reason.

I'm mad too because if Shamaface would focus and get a good editor to stop him from pulling his extra dumb shenanigans he would be a horror director to contend with imo.

The biggest twist of his career

Is there even consensus regarding whether DID truly exists at all? From my understanding it's an extremely controversial diagnosis in the first place and nobody can agree upon diagnostic criteria (and what's in the DSM is vague? Idk).

I mean, it's a totally bunk basis for a movie. I just wanna watch James McAvoy do a one man show while he scares some ladies or whatever.
What I usually hear is that if it is a thing, it's extremely rare, and doesn't work the way people think it does. Not sure how it actually does work though.

I'm probably going to see it anyway, because I agree James McAvoy is great. I just...won't be paying money to see it in theaters. Unless my friends want to go see it I guess.

What I usually hear is that if it is a thing, it's extremely rare, and doesn't work the way people think it does. Not sure how it actually does work though.

I'm probably going to see it anyway, because I agree James McAvoy is great. I just...won't be paying money to see it in theaters. Unless my friends want to go see it I guess.
Speaking of actors I love, have you ever seen Bronson? Not sure if it's still on Netflix but Tom Hardy blows that role away and as a bonus it's about a recurrent criminal who is incarcerated in Broadmoor and loves to get into fistfights (among other things).

Speaking of actors I love, have you ever seen Bronson? Not sure if it's still on Netflix but Tom Hardy blows that role away and as a bonus it's about a recurrent criminal who is incarcerated in Broadmoor and loves to get into fistfights (among other things).
I haven't seen it but I adore Tom Hardy :love:

What WZ said sounds correct, but it's been 6 years now since I took abnormal psych so I don't really remember and it's possible opinions have changed. But we definitely learned about it in that class, I think I even wrote a paper over it. I remember my professor talked about a former patient with DID, but IIRC he'd only met the one during decades of practicing.

My heated mattress pad has a "pre-heat" function, so see ya SDN, I'm gonna go experience what it feels like to get in an oven (but not the Sylvia Plath way).

Reactions: 5 users
I was never really into the classic animated Disney movies. :shrug:

I mean, I've seen them, I was just never in love with them the way a lot of people seem to be. I'm a fan of Hercules. And I guess I've seen The Black Cauldron about 4000 times but that's because it scared me so much I couldn't look away and my mom misinterpreted that as loving the movie and she would play it for me on repeat.

I mean, I've seen them, I was just never in love with them the way a lot of people seem to be. I'm a fan of Hercules. And I guess I've seen The Black Cauldron about 4000 times but that's because it scared me so much I couldn't look away and my mom misinterpreted that as loving the movie and she would play it for me on repeat.
I LOVE HERCULESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

For me it's basically Beauty & the Beast has held onto the favorite spot forever, and then second place is like a 10 way tie.

The only reason I have a second place is because Mulan was solidly my favorite before Princess & The Frog came out.

My third place is a giant (at least) 10 way tie.

If you had to pick a favourite Disney movie what would it be?
I can only pick one??? Can I pick a top 5 instead? In no particular order: The Lion King, The Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Mulan. If we're considering just Disney animated movies and not live action stuff. Also not considering Pixar.

I can only pick one??? Can I pick a top 5 instead? In no particular order: The Lion King, The Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Mulan. If we're considering just Disney animated movies and not live action stuff. Also not considering Pixar.
Yeah actually are we considering Disney classics only or are we including recent 3D animated Disney and "technically Disney but no one remembers it's a Disney movie"?

Because if so Emperor's New Groove is a great movie and I love it.

Reactions: 2 users

2nd place is mostly occupied by Hercules, Mulan, Oliver & Company and Lion King I think. So maybe not quite a 10 way tie. But I'm unsure and there are probably more that should be on that list.

And I actually love The Black Cauldron but did not remember it was Disney

2nd place is mostly occupied by Hercules, Mulan, Oliver & Company and Lion King I think. So maybe not quite a 10 way tie. But I'm unsure and there are probably more that should be on that list.

And I actually love The Black Cauldron but did not remember it was Disney
I mean, I like The Black Cauldron now but I think a movie where the villain is basically Satan and his goal is to raise a skeleton army may be a bit frightening for a four year old lol

Can we watch Tucker and Dale Vs Evil if we're doing horror movies? Pretty please?

Sorry for passing out on you guys last night. Definitely plan to do Empire Strikes Back tonight if there's interest.

Can we watch Tucker and Dale Vs Evil if we're doing horror movies? Pretty please?

Sorry for passing out on you guys last night. Definitely plan to do Empire Strikes Back tonight if there's interest.
Well officer, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just doing chores around the house, when kids started killing themselves all over my property.

I just cancelled my plans for tonight (granted they were plans I actually wanted to cancel, but still), so I'm in!

I can't do tomorrow though. :( I have something until like 8 pm CST.

I'm convinced y'all never sleep

Reactions: 2 users
I'm convinced y'all never sleep
It's the beauty of time zones, yo. There's enough of us that If a couple est/ CST people pass out early, the convo still goes because there are wrong Coast people who still talk until their 1 or 2 am, and when est/CST people wake up early, they comment on what they missed and the people in est and CST are awake to respond.
lion-king-circle-of-life.gif

Reactions: 5 users