The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is what I get for naming myself after my boy dog. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure the avatar was @vetmedhead 's idea though so we can blame her a little bit too.
And I still stand by how funny it is!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
There's a baby skunk in my backyard what do

Local animal control came by to pick him up. Unfortunately, baby died before they came. The officer mentioned that another homeowner a couple neighborhoods over reported their dog killed a skunk that was likely the mama, and all the babies were left on their own.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a baby skunk in my backyard what do
We don’t see skunks at the WMC but if it seems too young to be on its own, try calling a rehabber. This is something I found quick with some sort of idea on age.

Reactions: 1 users
We don’t see skunks at the WMC but if it seems too young to be on its own, try calling a rehabber. This is something I found quick with some sort of idea on age.

I was googling around and it seems like the advice is to leave it be for at least 24h, or I found a couple numbers to call as well.

Edit: It has all its fur and eyes are open (very pretty blue eyes I could see from >10 ft away)

I was googling around and it seems like the advice is to leave it be for at least 24h, or I found a couple numbers to call as well.

Edit: It has all its fur and eyes are open (very pretty blue eyes I could see from >10 ft away)
I just saw your snap. It does look too young, but also possibly neuro? so do be careful, please! It could just be too young and clumsy but never too safe with skunks.

I just saw your snap. It does look too young, but also possibly neuro? so do be careful, please! It could just be too young and clumsy but never too safe with skunks.
Yeah no I haven't gotten anywhere close to it, and we're keeping the dog inside. Called local animal control and they said they would send someone out.

I'm hai-drated.

• Love
I could eat Indian food every day. There is a Sprouts near where I'm staying now that has microwavable vegetarian tikka masala and it is amazing. I might have to drive home next month with a freezer full.

HOW ARE THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE DOING?

our student council reached out to us with a "hey whats up, what kinds of questions do you have to talk to admins about returning this fall, etc." survey.

one of the questions was "How have you been handling the stress of this summer?"
with various options.
"Doing well"
"Been kind of a bummer summer, but I understand"
"meh"
"Not doing great, but I'm coping"
"Not doing well, and I need help finding stablity."
etc.

(they were going to reach out to the people who checked any option that said they want true help)

I checked everything except the ones indicating I need immediate attention.

I feel like that applies to your question @finnickthedog

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been doing pig research for the past couple months and every day I get to do some more stuff I’ve never had the chance to do before. Today I came in early in the morning and helped bleed some pigs. I’ve also been training them to run an obstacle course. On Thursday I’m learning how to milk a pig for sample collection. It’s a lot of fun, and the PI keeps saying his adage, “you’re always at risk of becoming a pig vet.” I’m 99% sure that’s not going to happen, since I’m pretty set on small animal surgery (or maybe internal med. or neurology. I don’t know). But it’s a weird feeling.

• Love
I’ve been doing pig research for the past couple months and every day I get to do some more stuff I’ve never had the chance to do before. Today I came in early in the morning and helped bleed some pigs. I’ve also been training them to run an obstacle course. On Thursday I’m learning how to milk a pig for sample collection. It’s a lot of fun, and the PI keeps saying his adage, “you’re always at risk of becoming a pig vet.” I’m 99% sure that’s not going to happen, since I’m pretty set on small animal surgery (or maybe internal med. or neurology. I don’t know). But it’s a weird feeling.
I would love to hear about everything you've gotten to do! I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to become a pig vet

• Love
I would love to hear about everything you've gotten to do! I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to become a pig vet
Most standard pig stuff. Processing and vaccinating litters, castrating, collecting samples, preg checking, making a semen collection pen, bleeding, weaning, moving tons of pigs for whatever reason they need to be moved, and various farm chores. It seems like when you’re actually a pig vet you end up doing a lot of consulting. My PI is a DACAW so he does a lot of welfare-related things.

A lot of the farmhand type stuff is done by interns, so I haven’t done any AI and I don’t handle most of the day to day stuff. But I help out when I’m needed. I’m sure it’s because we’re part of the vet school, but there‘s a ton of research going on (which is what I’m mainly doing) so my PI tends to help out on that end in addition to normal pig vet things.

Most standard pig stuff. Processing and vaccinating litters, castrating, collecting samples, preg checking, making a semen collection pen, bleeding, weaning, moving tons of pigs for whatever reason they need to be moved, and various farm chores. It seems like when you’re actually a pig vet you end up doing a lot of consulting. My PI is a DACAW so he does a lot of welfare-related things.

A lot of the farmhand type stuff is done by interns, so I haven’t done any AI and I don’t handle most of the day to day stuff. But I help out when I’m needed. I’m sure it’s because we’re part of the vet school, but there‘s a ton of research going on (which is what I’m mainly doing) so my PI tends to help out on that end in addition to normal pig vet things.
Nice that sounds like a lot of good stuff! I've defs done the farm work for a couple of summer as well as working with system vets for a few too. I really haven't done a lot of research but it's integrated into the summer internship I'm doing right now.

A lot of pig vet are consulting vets, but I really want to be a system vet and work with one company as their vet or one of their vets.

Wait you like pigs?????
Not at all, the worst species out there really :p :p

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, pig and chicken industry stuff can be hard to break into initially because of how intense their biosecurity protocols are (hard sometimes to find an in to shadow or work with them). Plus those industries being so highly geographically concentrated that it's more difficult if you are not in those areas. However I know several people who have done it, it's largely about getting your interest known out there and finding some connections among your faculty or mentors to help you find opportunities (plus some traveling to those locations to meet people if you live outside of them).

If you're really interested I would also look into the national associations for veterinarians who work in those fields and contact them for advice about breaking in. I know someone who got into a great industry pig job right out of vet school by doing that and building those connections after she decided she wanted to do pig stuff about halfway through third year.

I was actually genuinely busy too, so it had nothing to do with being a wolf :depressed:
Well that's not what I was saying, I know it wasn't intentional on either of your parts, the mantra of "wolves can be busy too" remains. I just thought it was funny that AM basically said wolves have to participate a lot to win her games, just before that statement was disproven :D Though i do think cyndia might have been yeeted more quickly if she hadn't increased her participation at the end. So maybe it's still half true.

I just realized the other ones are all a subtle gradient

It's really faint

care-emoji-1-png.314615

Alissa's Zoom Party
Time: Aug 1, 2020 09:30 PM

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 838 9669 9423
Passcode: SDN

Zoom is up and running!

Reactions: 1 user
Yesterday almost as soon as I was on the clock I was restraining a large ridgeback for an exam. As the vet was going to take his temperature he said "Good morning" and then when I didn't respond, said it again. I apologized and said I thought he was saying good morning to the dog's butt :hilarious: (like "good morning, salutations, now I'm going to stick something up your butt" )

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Yesterday almost as soon as I was on the clock I was restraining a large ridgeback for an exam. As the vet was going to take his temperature he said "Good morning" and then when I didn't respond, said it again. I apologized and said I thought he was saying good morning to the dog's butt :hilarious: (like "good morning, salutations, now I'm going to stick something up your butt" )
.... I have said good morning to a dog’s butt and been surprised when the technician responded back. :oops:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users

On a fun note, I was doing the longest tenured at our company RN's cataract surgery today, so I walked into the room and immediately yelled at the circulator and said "WTF is even going on in here???? Someone go get *nurses name* right now!!!!" The most laughter came from the patient on the stretcher :rofl:

• Haha
I never say good morning. I just say "morning".

Because mornings are never good. :p

All the nurses/scrubs/circulators know never to say that to me. So much so they even planned an entire day last year where when I got there they all were in a group, with the anesthesiologist and the director of nursing, and sang in good old fashioned 3rd grade song "Good Mooooooooooooooooorning Doctor Smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith!!!!!!" ....will have to see if I can find that video.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I have an addition to the infamous chili debate, courtesy of some of my friends from high school.

093B4663-3C74-4494-B572-BCE76161B4D5.jpeg

Allegedly it's better than it sounds.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I have an addition to the infamous chili debate, courtesy of some of my friends from high school.

Allegedly it's better than it sounds.
Wait, is this a thing that people didn't know about? I prefer cornbread, but I'll eat chili with cinnamon rolls.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users