Tufts c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine changed to "Congratulations on your interview", last name with a P and submitted application on August 30th.

I really want to jump of excitement but I kind of need that email to confirm.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine changed to "Congratulations on your interview", last name with a P and submitted application on August 30th.

I really want to jump of excitement but I kind of need that email to confirm.
I'm right there with you. I need that email. Maybe tomorrow morning? Or they're trying to beat Ohio to see who can send out emails the latest.... Ohio's was at 8:58pm.... so maybe at 8:59pm we'll get something from Tufts?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I'm worried about 😂 That's why I asked here, just to see if it was just me, everyone, or only some people... now idk what to think 😂
100% will drive out there and tell them they made a mistake if it's not real lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious if they update the portal for waitlisted interviews and what that would look like.

I'm about 45min away--I'm just south of Boston :)

Adventure Going GIF

*Braces for covid wave after applicants show up to campus en masse to demand portal updates*

(kidding, kidding!!)
I’m imagining Oprah pointing to each person
”And you get a quarantine! And you get a quarantine!”

• Haha
Not sure what’s going on with the portal but i didn’t have an interview message on my portal last night but it just appeared this morning!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My portal also updated this morning! Still haven't gotten an email though

Mine just updated too. Is this just happening for everyone? I don't want to be too excited

Soooo I had the message for the interview and now it's gone...

Same... does anyone still have the message on their portal?

The second someone gets an email please share, sounds like thats gonna be the only definitive thing here.!

... next years application opens in one week today! 😂😭

• Haha
Nothing on my portal :( what does it say for everyone else under the application details part?

Mine is gone too.

April Fools in January, thank you 2021!

pitch perfect crying GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This portal page sounds like it needs some major help from IT..... haha

Did anyone whose updated to “congrats on your interview” this time also have it update to that last time?

I am starting to lose my mind over this. It's already mid-January and I (and many of you) still haven't heard back ://

My assumption is that if you get an invite in the 1 week window, so say on Wednesday 1/20, your interview is likely 1/27. And if you get an invite in the 2 week window say on 1/27, your interview is 2/3. Again, assumption. But if you expect an invite, or even if you don’t, I’d start prepping now just in case.

One person (not a vet school person just an average working class human) said the best advice they ever received before going in to an interview was to jot down anything that came to mind that might be an answer to a question.

Say tomorrow you’re going about your business but daydreaming or lost in thought and you randomly remember that time when you had an internship back in 2014 and you lost a handle on the hawk and forgot to prep its medication so then while you were crying in a panic you had to take a deep breath, not panic, and use what you learned to catch the hawk, prep the meds, and do the process correctly over again, all while being harshly lectured by the staff member who was observing to see if you passed the aviary level and could move on to mammals... jot that down, the lesson you learned from it, and what kind of question you think it would answer.

Then, by the time your interview invite comes, you’re already ready.

(yes, that story is true) 🙃
Lol.. never lost a handle on one of my hawks or owls. Although I did have a squirrel once jump out of its cage and then it took us forever to keep the hawks away from him and try to get him from going Into their cages lol ive def lost my grip on a swan. Those things are damn hard to hold down. The good thing about hawks though is once u have them in a leg grip they become somewhat helpless lol.

I dont check the portal page because as an engineer it physically hurts me to look at that sad little page with no buttons or menu or anything. Like a middle schooler could make a better page layout. -praying they dont look at this and hate me - *nervous laughter* haha jk jk its beautiful gosh golly best site I've seen yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I am starting to lose my mind over this. It's already mid-January and I (and many of you) still haven't heard back ://
You're not alone. Ive basically allready lost my mine so now im just casually spamming this forum. Let's all change to something a little more fun. What did everyone apply for track /interest? If I recall correctly it was tufts that had us choose like top 3 things or something like that. My focus is exotics.

You're not alone. Ive basically allready lost my mine so now im just casually spamming this forum. Let's all change to something a little more fun. What did everyone apply for track /interest? If I recall correctly it was tufts that had us choose like top 3 things or something like that. My focus is exotics.
Did you attend their WAZE symposium? I always thought I’d be a companion animal Gp but I love wildlife and zoo med and I wanted to specialize as a surgeon.... basically I don’t know what I want to do now. Lol

Did you attend their WAZE symposium? I always thought I’d be a companion animal Gp but I love wildlife and zoo med and I wanted to specialize as a surgeon.... basically I don’t know what I want to do now. Lol
I did for most of it but had to leave for work half way through. I did a lot of internship with wildlife and I care about it a lot however, I am not a huge fan of all the zoonotic diseases that wildlife have (like for example racoons and roundworms 😱). I heard tufts doesn't work with racoons so not a problem I guess lol

Lol.. never lost a handle on one of my hawks or owls. Although I did have a squirrel once jump out of its cage and then it took us forever to keep the hawks away from him and try to get him from going Into their cages lol ive def lost my grip on a swan. Those things are damn hard to hold down. The good thing about hawks though is once u have them in a leg grip they become somewhat helpless lol.
heh wrangling squirrels... oh the scars 🙃
swans are wild. i really liked the few i've worked with but was quite mean.
the worst critter i've lost my grip on was a loon! got stabbed in the neck. i love them, but that was a scary five minutes or so. wouldn't blame the loon either - my own mistake. learned from it and it didn't happen again.

but for my track, i'm wildlife :) i think i also put education, as i'd like to teach wildlife medicine one day, and then possibly either research, pathology, or global health, depending on what was available.

yeahhhhh I actually wrote a blog for my family while I was doing that internship... I just went back and read about that exact day. 😂 Good thing I checked because I don't remember it this way at all!! Man was I an overdramatic 22 year old. 😳

"I spent the whole day on husbandry. This morning I was assigned to the raptors in order to be observed for my raptor badge. Man did I mess up SO BAD. First I was told to instruct a new green volunteer with me, on how to handle a raptor. But, then I was stopped because I had completely not prepped the new carrier with a perch, water and the hawk’s food. So then I had to rewind and do that. Then, I tried to handle the bird. Apparently I stalled for that one millisecond and the hawk took the opportunity to fly at my face and try to escape. Fate just so happened to have my arm in the way of him so while I did get taloned in the arm, I was still able to grab one of his legs so that he couldn’t fly out of the carrier. Nice save and good recovery. But then he grabbed hold of my other glove, so then I ended up with an unprotected hand. I put my hand back in the glove, rearranged my hold, and gathered the hawk’s wings. Done. Not so bad. But, well, then it turns out that I had forgotten the medication. So then the staff member observing me had to go prepare the syringe while I stood there holding a hawk choking back the tears of failure. I had been doing so well with the raptors. I was confident holding them, and I never missing a step. And then I took about 10 steps backwards today. We ended up discussing how some people learn slower than others and how it took the staff member almost a year to be fully comfortable handling animals while I have only been here for 3 months. We discussed how I am learning so much never having any previous experience doing this hands on. And we discussed how while this is my career field, these are not at all the animals I studied and therefore I should have some difficulty working with them. She said she could never work with marine animals. I left the conversation disheartened with myself and the high expectations I set as my goal. But, by this afternoon I had earned my raptor badge showing that the staff members do trust me with the birds and it was just one of those days."

Unsurprisingly, my focus is wildlife. I already have a masters degree, but I'm considering doing the 5 year MCM/DVM program. I forking love skunks.

yeahhhhh I actually wrote a blog for my family while I was doing that internship... I just went back and read about that exact day. 😂 Good thing I checked because I don't remember it this way at all!! Man was I an overdramatic 22 year old. 😳

"I spent the whole day on husbandry. This morning I was assigned to the raptors in order to be observed for my raptor badge. Man did I mess up SO BAD. First I was told to instruct a new green volunteer with me, on how to handle a raptor. But, then I was stopped because I had completely not prepped the new carrier with a perch, water and the hawk’s food. So then I had to rewind and do that. Then, I tried to handle the bird. Apparently I stalled for that one millisecond and the hawk took the opportunity to fly at my face and try to escape. Fate just so happened to have my arm in the way of him so while I did get taloned in the arm, I was still able to grab one of his legs so that he couldn’t fly out of the carrier. Nice save and good recovery. But then he grabbed hold of my other glove, so then I ended up with an unprotected hand. I put my hand back in the glove, rearranged my hold, and gathered the hawk’s wings. Done. Not so bad. But, well, then it turns out that I had forgotten the medication. So then the staff member observing me had to go prepare the syringe while I stood there holding a hawk choking back the tears of failure. I had been doing so well with the raptors. I was confident holding them, and I never missing a step. And then I took about 10 steps backwards today. We ended up discussing how some people learn slower than others and how it took the staff member almost a year to be fully comfortable handling animals while I have only been here for 3 months. We discussed how I am learning so much never having any previous experience doing this hands on. And we discussed how while this is my career field, these are not at all the animals I studied and therefore I should have some difficulty working with them. She said she could never work with marine animals. I left the conversation disheartened with myself and the high expectations I set as my goal. But, by this afternoon I had earned my raptor badge showing that the staff members do trust me with the birds and it was just one of those days."

Unsurprisingly, my focus is wildlife. I already have a masters degree, but I'm considering doing the 5 year MCM/DVM program. I forking love skunks.
Lol I deeply want to point out that you used the word then over 10 times and but over 5 times. But I dont think you used the word like even once. I spent a good amount of time during undergrad counting how many time people said "like" during presentation. Keeps the sanity.
Back to the actual topic lol
Not preparing meds isn't that bad of a mistake. I once stabbed myself with a needle by going right through the goats skin into my finger. Thankfully I didn't inject the antibiotics into my hand but... would have been great if the person holding her had a better grip. She moved and suddenly I was like crap thats not goat skin.

heh wrangling squirrels... oh the scars 🙃
swans are wild. i really liked the few i've worked with but was quite mean.
the worst critter i've lost my grip on was a loon! got stabbed in the neck. i love them, but that was a scary five minutes or so. wouldn't blame the loon either - my own mistake. learned from it and it didn't happen again.

but for my track, i'm wildlife :) i think i also put education, as i'd like to teach wildlife medicine one day, and then possibly either research, pathology, or global health, depending on what was available.
The real question.. is with only 100 seats how many will they dedicate to us weirdo tracks (wildlife, exotics, zoo etc) non standard dog cat people

• Haha
Lol I deeply want to point out that you used the word then over 10 times and but over 5 times. But I dont think you used the word like even once. I spent a good amount of time during undergrad counting how many time people said "like" during presentation. Keeps the sanity.
Not preparing meds isn't that bad of a mistake. I once stabbed myself with a needle by going right through the goats skin into my finger. Thankfully I didn't inject the antibiotics into my hand but... would have been great if the person holding her had a better grip. She moved and suddenly I was like crap thats not goat skin.
i've done this!! once when I was a rookie - I was pulling up sq fluids in an insulin syringe and held the cap of the needle in my mouth. went to recap the needle with the cap still in my mouth. poked right on through the cap and straight into my lip.
and once when i should've known better. after vaccinating a stray cat. was talking emphatically with my hands. hadn't recapped the needle. stabbed myself in my bad knee 🙃 ah life.

The real question.. is with only 100 seats how many will they dedicate to us weirdo tracks (wildlife, exotics, zoo etc) non standard dog cat people

eh lol i'm deeply skeptical of my own chances, but i just loved that wildlife hospital when i visited and had to try and apply there again. i have a lowish cGPA and Tufts seems to skew a little higher, but sometimes you've just gotta try :)

• Care
HAHAHA I spent presentations counting the times people said "um"!
But yes, I never said that I was good at grammar or proofreading when writing for my family. My mama would have taken a red pen to that blog in a heartbeat. I just didn't care enough.

Oof that's a scary moment.
I want to know how many they typically accept each year and how many people usually decline and go elsewhere. Someone told me that for medical school, they usually interview anyone they want and only interview to make sure they aren't crazy. And then accept the vast majority and most kids just go elsewhere. I wonder if it's similar for medical school. Or if the person who told me that is even right.

There were about 30 people in my class interested in wildlife at the beginning of school -- maybe even more.

Interests change dramatically over the course of 4 years, and you may not even know you like something until you get pretty deep into the curriculum. That's actually one of the benefits of Tufts, in my opinion -- no tracking, so you don't lock yourself into something only to find out spring of 4th year that it's not the right fit after all.

There were about 30 people in my class interested in wildlife at the beginning of school -- maybe even more.

Interests change dramatically over the course of 4 years, and you may not even know you like something until you get pretty deep into the curriculum. That's actually one of the benefits of Tufts, in my opinion -- no tracking, so you don't lock yourself into something only to find out spring of 4th year that it's not the right fit after all.
Yea that wouldnt suprise me. Wildlife is one of those things that lots of people think is cool until they realize it makes no money, is exhausting , and probably the most dangerous option (like I said not a big lover of zoonotic diseases lol). Ive always known i wanted to work with exotics (and by exotics i mean exotic domesticated legal pets - monkeys are great but ill leave those to the zoo vets not looking to getting any deadly hepatitis from them) my focus has and always will be for the little guys (reptiles, small mammals [ig rodents etc ], avian -birds , and the odd balls like my hedgehog, and aqautics). I havent heard of any school that has tracks per say. From my understanding from the exotic vet I work with is you don't specialize in anything. Everyone learns the same stuff and then you can take extra courses of course. But the path to specialization is post dvm. There just isn't enough vets for the little guys, and part of that is lack of money since people don't value their lives as much. Their my best friends though.

From my understanding from the exotic vet I work with is you don't specialize in anything. Everyone learns the same stuff and then you can take extra courses of course. But the path to specialization is post dvm.
Definitely not the case everywhere -- some schools start tracking courses in the third year and your core clinical rotations vary based on large animal vs small.

Definitely not the case everywhere -- some schools start tracking courses in the third year and your core clinical rotations vary based on large animal vs small.
Yes large vs small . But exotics isn't in that haha. There is no track for exotics (I suppose it would be included in large or small depending on the kind lol). There is like either farm animals equine etc or like small animals (dogs cats everything else ). But for exotics you need additional internships, residencies, and certification which are post veterinary school. Where as , and I may be wrong about this as I have never taken interest in traditional animals (in dogs and cats) I believe with them you could start practicing right out of school no additional steps needed no? I'm sure u could get additional certification for different fields in the small animal practice (ex cardiology, neuropathy what have you) but you could also just straight up be a general vet for dog and cats and not need anything else ?

Last edited:
i've done this!! once when I was a rookie - I was pulling up sq fluids in an insulin syringe and held the cap of the needle in my mouth. went to recap the needle with the cap still in my mouth. poked right on through the cap and straight into my lip.
and once when i should've known better. after vaccinating a stray cat. was talking emphatically with my hands. hadn't recapped the needle. stabbed myself in my bad knee 🙃 ah life.

eh lol i'm deeply skeptical of my own chances, but i just loved that wildlife hospital when i visited and had to try and apply there again. i have a lowish cGPA and Tufts seems to skew a little higher, but sometimes you've just gotta try :)
And this ladies and gents is why we never put needles in our mouths.

• Haha
Yes large vs small . But exotics isn't in that haha. There is no track for exotics. There is like either farm animals equine etc or like small animals (dogs cats everything else ). But for exotics you need additional internships, residencies, and licenses which are post veterinary school. Where as , and I may be wrong about this as I have never taken interest in traditional animals (in dogs and cats) I believe with them you could start practicing right out of school no additional steps needed no? I'm sure u could get additional certification for different fields in the small animal practice (ex cardiology, neuropathy what have you) but you could also just straight up be a general vet for dog and cats and not need anything else ?
You can also start practicing as an exotics vet immediately after school. I have some classmates who are applying for exotics-heavy GP jobs. You do definitely need multiple years of post-doc training for zoo med, but zoo med ≠ companion exotics. And those ≠ wildlife.

Small animal GP does not require internship & residency, although many people do internships and some pursue board certification in canine or feline practice, which is equivalent to a residency. Equine GP jobs pretty much require an internship year. All small animal specialties (surgery, oncology, cardio, etc etc) require at least a rotating internship year, usually a specialty internship year, and then 3-4 years of residency.

Also, some zoo vets actually pursue a large animal track since many of the ungulates, etc, have more overlap with cattle & horses than cats & dogs.

And aquatics is its own separate thing entirely :)