UCI vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpit210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to decide between UCI and Case. I'm from San Diego, CA and would like to do residency in CA. I also have a long term girlfriend (4 years) in San Diego, which is only an hour or so away from Irvine. Would like to stay close to her. Irvine has given me 10k in grants. It has a brand new medical education building and a relatively new hospital. So Cal weather is amazing.

However, Case has awesome hospitals associated with it. It is the only med school in Cleveland, so a lot of opportunities available for med students. The curriculum there is really innovative, pbl all the way thru, and just seems very progressive. Case is at a higher rank as well. But it is also in Cleveland, and I haven't heard great things about the city. Haven't gotten financial aid stuff from Case yet...

What seems like a better decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want UCI, unless Case's rank is really that enticing.

But really, would you put up with one of the most miserable cities in the US for Case when you could have a [most likely] cheaper (and sunnier) experience close to your SO?

I would choose UCI since you're from CA, but maybe you want to experience life outside of CA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose UCI. A 10k grant on top of in-state tuition is pretty nice, not to mention the fact that trying to balance a long distance relationship during med school would kind of suck. CA also >> Ohio (no offense to those from Ohio!) Also have you gotten much feedback from current students at Case regarding the curriculum? I'm sure there are different ways to implement PBL, but from what I've experienced of it during grad school, it can be an annoyingly inefficient way to learn. I think PBL sounds great in theory but is much harder to design and implement effectively.

IMO: Case is expensive. If you liked UCI, I would definitely attend, as the COA difference is pretty dramatic.

I would choose UCI. A 10k grant on top of in-state tuition is pretty nice, not to mention the fact that trying to balance a long distance relationship during med school would kind of suck. CA also >> Ohio (no offense to those from Ohio!) Also have you gotten much feedback from current students at Case regarding the curriculum? I'm sure there are different ways to implement PBL, but from what I've experienced of it during grad school, it can be an annoyingly inefficient way to learn. I think PBL sounds great in theory but is much harder to design and implement effectively.

I liked Case a lot when I visited it. The PBL is cited by the students to be one of the best things there; being the first school to actually start doing it, they've got pretty good at it. Also, unranked P/F is amazing. I would imagine there are more opportunities there for you if you aim for academia/more competitive specialties.

UCI/UCD unfortunately have the stigma of being the "less-reputable" UCs, but that being said, I think there are a lot of reasons for you to attend UCI. There's the GF issue, its importance depending on how committed you are to her - you're fortunate to have the opportunity to go to school so close by, and LDRs in medical school are pretty difficult.

Wait for Case's FA, but UCI is instate and with the 10k grant and it probably wins by CoA by a lot. And finally, location - Cleveland really isn't that bad, but doesn't quite compare to SoCal.

It's difficult, but barring breaking up with this girl or getting a big scholarship to go to Case, if I were you I would probably go to UCI.

Id go UCI. Is that 10k grant renewable each year? If so taht means your COA at UCI for 4 years should be roughly what 160k, while case will easily put you near the 250k +range or even higher in some cases. If you get fin aid from case and its close to UCI, well i might think of case. But if your g/f is important and you think its something that might turn into marriage or beyond, i would choose UCI in a heartbeat based on her and the COA. Sure UCI is probably the least reputable med school in cali, but its not like you wont be able to get where you want to go. The money here would play a large role. If you dont feel your gf situation is serious enough to stay close and case gives you enough money to make it similar to UCI, id personally choose case then. Theres no question that case is largely the better med school in terms of both opportunities, research, and prestige, but it sounds like you have other factors to consider :).

I think that all the UC's are very good medical schools - where they differ may be their focus (i.e. research, clinical, underserved etc.), but you should be able realize your individual goals at any of them. So, I vote for UCI, managing a long distance relationship in not-so-great city would be a drag. Stay in Southern California and feel the warm sunshine on your face once in a while :)

I'd go with UCI in a heartbeat. It pretty much guarantees a California residency. It's a much better location than Ohio. And you get to stay close to your family, friends, and gf (also very important). UCI is also MUCH cheaper.

Case's reputation/rank isn't high enough for this to really be that difficult of a decision. It's actually a relatively unknown school to most. So go with UCI. Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone for your responses so far! They are really helpful. The gf situation is pretty important to me.. after all I have invested 4 years in the relationship. I know LDR during med school is just asking for a disaster.

The biggest thing for me is the much higher chance of getting into a CA residency by going to Irvine.

I believe the 10k grant I have is only for a year, but I don't see my financial status improving over the next year (unless I invent something ingenius and make millions). If anything, I'd be working less part-time jobs/hours and hence need more aid. I'm hoping the grant renews next year.

I think I'll wait to hear about the Case FA and make my decision after that.

Thanks again!

Dude, Case is awesome, and that's where I'm going, but it sounds to me like you should go to UCI. You'd be close to your girl, save money, and still be at a great school. If you at all want to stay in Cali, UCI sounds like a great option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be easier to network, establish away rotations, and develop connections to CA programs by attending a CA school.

+1, I agree with this too. Look at UCI's match list, vast majority are in California residencies. I'm not saying Case will close doors for you, but you still never know. UCI presents more of a "guarantee".

selection bias

the vast majority of students at either school should be able to match somewhere in CA if they desire to

If your goal is a residency in Orange, CA then UCI has an advantage. I think the advantage ends there.

selection bias

the vast majority of students at either school should be able to match somewhere in CA if they desire to

If your goal is a residency in Orange, CA then UCI has an advantage. I think the advantage ends there.

This. No "guarantee" for residency, expressed or implied, from any particular medical school.

Also, OP: You should wait till you have the financial aid from each school before proceeding.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses so far! They are really helpful. The gf situation is pretty important to me.. after all I have invested 4 years in the relationship. I know LDR during med school is just asking for a disaster.

The biggest thing for me is the much higher chance of getting into a CA residency by going to Irvine.

I believe the 10k grant I have is only for a year, but I don't see my financial status improving over the next year (unless I invent something ingenius and make millions). If anything, I'd be working less part-time jobs/hours and hence need more aid. I'm hoping the grant renews next year.

Thanks again!

I don't think this is true.

kalpit210 said:
That was exactly the advice I was about to give you. Unless Case gives you a lot of grant money, you should go to UCI.

Case's reputation/rank isn't high enough for this to really be that difficult of a decision. It's actually a relatively unknown school to most. So go with UCI. Hope that helps!

You know, you keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure most residency directors have heard of Case... If you mean most patients, then that's probably true if you're from either coast.

You know, you keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure most residency directors have heard of Case... If you mean most patients, then that's probably true if you're from either coast.
Case is most def not unknown in the medical world. In the general public, for sure they dont know but medical no especially with the cclm. In fact its probably the opposite, UCI is the least reputable/prestigious med school of all the cali ones. Most people outside of cali do not even know much about it. They only know the large UCs.

vc7777 said:
When does the OP get Case's FA package? I would hope it is soon! Let us know of your decision.

I called yesterday and they said by Friday

:wow: I think you may be able to ask for an extension...at least a few days to mull it over, right? Myuu, Iceman, CCLCMer, et al... I know you guy probably can chime in on this...but I think a few days to 'work the numbers' isn't out of line. Besides, the worst thing the admissions office can say is 'No'...

Good luck!

:wow: I think you may be able to ask for an extension...at least a few days to mull it over, right? Myuu, Iceman, CCLCMer, et al... I know you guy probably can chime in on this...but I think a few days to 'work the numbers' isn't out of line. Besides, the worst thing the admissions office can say is 'No'...

Good luck!

Yeah, you just tell them you need time (and why) and I think you'll find they're quite accommodating.:thumbup:

I'd go with UCI in a heartbeat. It pretty much guarantees a California residency. It's a much better location than Ohio. And you get to stay close to your family, friends, and gf (also very important). UCI is also MUCH cheaper.

I mean, obviously UCI in a heartbeat. But this isnt true. Did california residency pretty much gaurantee acceptance into a CA medical school? Its not quite as drastic for residency, but still. Everyone wants to come and stay in CA. Theres no "in state" preference for residency. The best students in the country are applying to the best programs in the country, many of which can be found in CA. Residencies will take the best applicants. If you arent a good applicant, it doesnt matter where you went to school. If someone from out of state outshines you in most aspects of your application, then the fact that you did a rotation or two tehre during 3rd year isnt going to mean anything. This is why the name of the school is pretty insignificant.

Go to ANY school in the country, do well in your classes and rotations, crush your boards and you will go whereverer and do whatever you want. For example, we had someone this year match into UCSF dermatology. It pretty much doesnt get any more competitive than that. Now, how much did the school name "UCI" play in this decision? It certainly didnt hurt anything. You can argue how much it helped.....but one things for sure, this applicant was damn near perfect in every aspect of life and he/she probably would have gotten that spot from any school he/she came from.

I would stick with the gf and take UCI in a heartbeat especially since you got a scholarship on top of the IS status, though maybe you should wait until the finaid package from case comes in.

I would stick with the gf and take UCI in a heartbeat especially since you got a scholarship on top of the IS status, though maybe you should wait until the finaid package from case comes in.

he should have his financial aid from case by now

JokerMD said:
he should have his financial aid from case by now

Still don't. Apparently I was missing a couple forms. Sent that in today. I'll hopefully get it tomorrow or Wednesday. Also asked Christian Essman for an extension, who is fine with it.

Thanks again for everyone who has been posting.

Wrong thread -.-

Last edited:
finally got my aid package today:

Case Grant: $9,300 and rest in loans for an estimated budget of $72,000

This compared to UCI:

UCI Grant: $10,000 and rest in loans for an estimated budget of $50,000.

I know the estimates are usually higher than the real costs. I think I'm gonna go with UCI because of the following reasons:

1) Gf of 4 years (big factor)
2) Staying close to family and in CA (another big factor)
3) Substantially cheaper (in-state) costs at UCI

Thanks for everyone who has weighed in, its definitely helped me get a lot of insight for this decision!

This compared to UCI:

I know the estimates are usually higher than the real costs. I think I'm gonna go with UCI because of the following reasons:

Thanks for everyone who has weighed in, its definitely helped me get a lot of insight for this decision!

Cool! Best of luck! :luck:

I mean, obviously UCI in a heartbeat. But this isnt true. Did california residency pretty much gaurantee acceptance into a CA medical school? Its not quite as drastic for residency, but still. Everyone wants to come and stay in CA. Theres no "in state" preference for residency. The best students in the country are applying to the best programs in the country, many of which can be found in CA. Residencies will take the best applicants. If you arent a good applicant, it doesnt matter where you went to school. If someone from out of state outshines you in most aspects of your application, then the fact that you did a rotation or two tehre during 3rd year isnt going to mean anything. This is why the name of the school is pretty insignificant.

Go to ANY school in the country, do well in your classes and rotations, crush your boards and you will go whereverer and do whatever you want. For example, we had someone this year match into UCSF dermatology. It pretty much doesnt get any more competitive than that. Now, how much did the school name "UCI" play in this decision? It certainly didnt hurt anything. You can argue how much it helped.....but one things for sure, this applicant was damn near perfect in every aspect of life and he/she probably would have gotten that spot from any school he/she came from.

Again I'm not saying your board scores, grades are not important. They are WAYYY more important than location of medical school. All I'm saying is that your grades/scores are up to you, but any other factors such as going to Cali medial school can only help. Just perform well at UCI, and you'll be fine.

Chances are if you screw up at UCI, you will screw up at Case as well. Most medical schools are very similar.

This compared to UCI:

Congrats. It's a smart decision. Good luck in school. And you are very fortunate to be close to your gf/family....

Status
Not open for further replies.