Ucla prime

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I noticed there is currently no UCLA PRIME thread, so I decided to start one.

I turned in my secondary a couple weeks back and have not heard anything from them yet. Is this the same for everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I noticed there is currently no UCLA PRIME thread, so I decided to start one.

I turned in my secondary a couple weeks back and have not heard anything from them yet. Is this the same for everyone else?

I haven't even received their secondary. I received/submitted the secondaries for Geffen and CDU already, but PRIME has been silent ever since they acknowledged receiving my AMCAS primary about 4 weeks ago. :confused:

I received my secondary for PRIME roughly 2 weeks after they sent the confirmation email. I was acknowledged by PRIME about mid-August and got the secondary right after September started.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even received their secondary. I received/submitted the secondaries for Geffen and CDU already, but PRIME has been silent ever since they acknowledged receiving my AMCAS primary about 4 weeks ago. :confused:

hey Dancingthrulife: How long after your primary did you receive the CDU secondary? I still haven't received it yet. Thanks

hey Dancingthrulife: How long after your primary did you receive the CDU secondary? I still haven't received it yet. Thanks

I received the CDU secondary 4 weeks after my AMCAS was verified. Unlike Geffen and PRIME, CDU never acknowledged that they got my AMCAS, so the secondary invitation was the first e-mail I ever got from them.

Hey i just called the admissions office to PRIME. They said that interview invites are suppose to be sent out in January and that the interviews will be in February. Guess that means a lot more waiting.

do they send secondaries via email or status page? im having troubles w/ my status page. bleh.

do they send secondaries via email or status page? im having troubles w/ my status page. bleh.

I'm having trouble too. I tried calling the web developer, but have had no luck. I'm waiting on a response from the mednet email address that was on the status home page.

I'm having trouble too. I tried calling the web developer, but have had no luck. I'm waiting on a response from the mednet email address that was on the status home page.

Secondary notifications are sent by email. I got mine today, one day after submitting my David Geffen secondary.

have you guys tried using a different browser? Sometimes that helps.

have you guys tried using a different browser? Sometimes that helps.

i tried chrome and safari and got the same msg.
has anyone w/ that error had any luck with contacting the school? i've tried emailing and calling and no luck.

I didn't get an e-mail about the secondary, but I did get it!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone figure out how to get rid of that error?

Anyone know when PRIME starts sending out rejections? I really REALLY want to get in this program, but I still have not even received a secondary :'( I'm hoping more secondaries are still coming!!!!!

Anyone know when PRIME starts sending out rejections? I really REALLY want to get in this program, but I still have not even received a secondary :'( I'm hoping more secondaries are still coming!!!!!

I haven't received a secondary either and I got their AMCAS acknowledgement e-mail back in late August. :confused:

Anyone know how many primaries they receive, secondaries they send out, and interviews they conduct? Thanks!

Hi guys! Does anybody know what the PRIME curriculum style is? How many tests, how often, teaching styles, etc. OR does anybody know where to find that kind of information?

it's the same as geffen for the first two years ... not sure if they do extra rotations 3rd and 4th year. they have a "bonding" type orientation, similar to Drew, before lectures start

Have any of you that have not received a secondary yet tried to contact them? I received and email on 9/29/10 notifying me that they had received my primary app, but still no secondary :(

Have any of you that have not received a secondary yet tried to contact them? I received and email on 9/29/10 notifying me that they had received my primary app, but still no secondary :(

I received that same e-mail 8/25 and STILL no secondary. Completed/submitted secondaries for the other two UCLA programs though. :confused:

OMG, does anyone else find the formatting of this application incredibly frustrating?! GRR...:mad:

Hey guys, it's great that someone started this thread because when I applied I was having a hard time finding specific information about the program. I am a current Prime student and would like to offer my help in clearing up any questions about the Prime program.

I won't be able to answer questions right away since I come on to SDN infrequently but I will try my hardest to answer as many questions as I can. However, I cannot and will not answer any questions on the interview process, admissions process, or even dates. The admissions committee is working their hardest to get through the applications and give everybody a fair chance so just have patience. What I can answer are questions about the program itself. Also what I say is from my experience only so take it with a grain of salt.

One issue that you guys might want to have cleared up is that there are three programs in Prime itself and I've included the number of students that were in the program from last year in parenthesis. I'm not sure how many spots there will be this year but you will have the opportunity to rank which Prime program you want to be in.

1. Prime Westwood (10) - take classes (year 1 & 2) with the rest of Geffen and do rotations (year 3 & 4) at the same sites as Geffen

2. Prime Drew (4) - take classes with Geffen and some rotations are different which are sites more focused in underserved communities. You are technically also in the Drew program and have to finish their requirements also.

3. Prime Riverside (4)- take classes at UCR with the Haider program and same rotations with Geffen.

With all the Prime programs, you will get an MD degree from David Geffen Medical School but you will have to get a masters (usually between your 3rd and 4th year) to fulfill the Prime requirement. You have many options: MPH, MPP, MS, MBA, etc. Basically any masters is possible as long as you can relate the masters to helping you become a leader in serving the disadvantaged. You can also do the masters at any school you want but you will have to apply to get in. There are a few other requirements for the Prime program but they are not as major as the masters requirement. This is a 5 year program. I hope this clears up some things for people. If not, feel free to ask questions on this thread.

Other than that, I would like to say that I am completely happy with my decision to come here and that I really love the Prime program and the people in it because they are some amazing folk. Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
PRIME is 100% independent from the Geffen admissions process. You could apply to PRIME without even applying to Geffen or CDU.

just curious if anyone else has sent an email question to ucla prime and not gotten a response either. i suppose they take a while to evaluate apps, but i'm also curious if the admissions process is relatively distinct from ucla geffen. specifically, do you have to earn admittance to ucla before prime secondaries are issued, interviews take place, etc.?

Could someone post the secondary essay questions please? Thanks

EACH ESSAY HAS A 2,000 CHARACTER LIMIT!

1. What is the most important health care issue facing disadvantaged communities and what would be your first step to address this issue?

2. In what way will graduating from the UCLA Prime program enhance your career in health care or health services for the disadvantaged communities?

3. Describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities.

4. What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school?

This is just the essay portion of the seocondary. There is quite a bit more personal information required. If you want the actual Word document secondary, PM your e-mail address. Good luck!

Anyone receive an interview invite yet?

Interview calls won't happen until January, according to the e-mail we received last week. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this one! :xf:

Are there any numbers regarding the average stats of those accepted to this program?

Rejected pre-secondary :(

I know current 2nd years in Prime, went to UCLA for undergrad and currently work for UCLA peds.....what more do they want!!!??? :( major ouch. Can't a girl at least get a secondary??? I'll give them money I promise!

Anyone know if they accept letters of appeal?

i think their website says their secondaries were due some time in November, so maybe if someone hasnt received one then its a rejection....just speculating...could be totally wrong, also interview invitations are done first week of january and ucla goes on break for two weeks starting next week.

Hello All, this is my first post to this thread. Has anyone received a call about interviews yet? Just wondering if I should still be waiting...

Hello All, this is my first post to this thread. Has anyone received a call about interviews yet? Just wondering if I should still be waiting...

Same here! Still no word. Really hope this interview comes through...

Nope, still nothing! Are there really that few PRIME people on here? haha show yourselves! : D

I applied to UCLA Prime too! And I would absolutely :love:LOVVVEEE :love: an interview...but have not heard any news yet either! Im not really expecting to get one, because my stats are really not spectacular at all...but I'm still hoping :)

nothing yet. first interview is feb 4th according to website though.

Nothing here yet either. Could it be that all the interviews went to non-SDNer's? Hopefully they're just behind. Anyone brave enough to call/email admissions to find out? :confused:

I am not brave enough to call. I don't want to be on their "list of annoying applicants." :D

I am very curious about whether or not the interviews have already been given out. I would at least like to know that I'm NOT being considered anymore. But, since their email update in December specifically requested not to call, I don't want to bother them.

They don't answer their phones anyway. I think they just haven't sent out invites yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.