UCLA vs UCSD I'm stuck at 50/50

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedchild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that threads in the past have explored this topic already but I want to bring it up because I think I have considerations that other threads in the past did not address and also because one of schools, UCSD, is undergoing a lot of changes and the threads in the past are thus a bit outdated...

I know that I'm very very lucky to have been accepted to two very great schools. These two schools are pretty much the two top schools of the interviews I've attended; so the process is pretty much over for me now. Now, the hard part is to choose which one to attend.

So I'm a UCLA undergrad and I'm taking 4 years + 2 quarters to complete my degree (this being my last quarter here), and herein lies my problem. After interviewing at a number of schools, I told myself that UCSD was my number 1 because I absolutely loved the area, the city, the students I interacted with both on tour and during the dinner, and the transparent and very supportive/enthusiastic admissions people. I didn't have an extremely positive perception of UCLA for several reasons: 1. the interview day wasn't as organized and a presentation/tour were pretty much nonexistent. I didn't get to learn much about the school (which I now know I shouldn't make a decision without being well informed). 2. I've been here for five years and a turn off is that I don't really want to stay in the same place again for another 4 years, but I don't know if that is a valid enough consideration to not attend such a great school.

I'm now stuck at 50/50 because I've learned more about UCLA and also probably because everyone around me (including my parents) are telling me UCLA over UCSD, but I can't stop thinking about that feeling of "yes! i wanna be here" when in interviewed at UCSD. I think I didn't have that feeling at UCLA because I've been here for five years and simply just walked into the same building I volunteered at for one year. UCLA's P/F, no internal ranking for all four years really attracts me. The school's name is slightly more alluring (this is not a major consideration for me but I know that it's out there). There's shorter class time too.

UCSD is undergoing a lot of changes with some added PBL stuff, P/F first two years (I don't know if they have internal rankings or not). In my opinion, they're moving towards the direction of UCLA with PBL, shorter class time, and P/F grading.

I think both schools are great and both would give me a great medical school education. For students that struggled with the decision last year and for students who attend either schools, what should I do? Anything would be helpful. I want to be able to gain more information so I can make a more informed decision. I feel like a lot of why I like/dislike about either of the schools right now is very emotionally based and not fact based...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...but I can't stop thinking about that feeling of "yes! i wanna be here" when in interviewed at UCSD. I think I didn't have that feeling at UCLA...

I think that deep down, you already know which school you want. Almost all of the time, my hunches steered me into the best decisions.

I know ucla to most people just screams prestige and people will tell you to go. But reading through your post it sounds like you already made your decision. Go to UCSD if that is what you want. A change of scenary is always nice, especially if you want it. Both schools are excellent and its not like UCSD is a huge step down or something as far as prestige/rank go. Personally id take UCLA in a heartbeat over UCSD, but i just dont like ucsd that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UCSD for undergrad and I really loved it. I can't say enough good things about San Diego as a city, it is flippin awesome. Great food with a lot of variety, laid back atmosphere, nice beaches, tons to do, and near perfect weather almost all the time to boot! As an undergrad institution UCSD was fantastic and I was always in awe of the med school (did a lot of cramming in the biomed library). Both schools have great reputations. Really, will going to UCSD over UCLA limit your opportunities whatsoever? I don't think so. You should do what's right for you, but you can't go wrong either way.

i agree that a change of scenery is a good thing. i got my grad degree at a med school- great school, happy students. but i knew i didn't want to do med school there because i wanted to have a new, fresh experience somewhere else. (and i am so, so excited about my med school choice!:D) the way i figure, if i really my alma mater, i can always try to come back for residency.

do what you gotta do! i agree you seem to be leaning towards SD, and i bet if you didn't go there, you'd always be wondering what if. i agree that the difference in rank/prestige between these two is small at best. so do yourself a favor and go with your gut and be happy! congrats on your acceptances by the way . . . i am happy about my acceptances but i'd love to have an option that got me away from the snow and ice for 4 years . . . oh well, theres always residency

I did my undergrad at UCLA and I'm pretty sure that I'll be going to UCSD for medical school in the fall! UCLA felt like a place where I just wanted to keep my head above water and swimming in the very big pond. But like you mentioned- on my interview day at UCSD, everything just felt right and I knew that regardless of what happened after that day, UCSD was my top-choice.

But unlike you, the final decision was made FOR me: UCLA rejected me, pre-interview. Ouch. So I can imagine that it's tough (in a good way) for you. I agree with everyone else... go with your gut, and if you do- we could be friends next year. hahahaha! :) Good luck wherever you decide to go! What really matters is what you make of your experience wherever you are.

I know ucla to most people just screams prestige and people will tell you to go. But reading through your post it sounds like you already made your decision. Go to UCSD if that is what you want. A change of scenary is always nice, especially if you want it. Both schools are excellent and its not like UCSD is a huge step down or something as far as prestige/rank go. Personally id take UCLA in a heartbeat over UCSD, but i just dont like ucsd that much.

+1, I would go to ucla over ucsd in a heartbeat. Not for the prestige, but the overall environment. Ucsd always struck me as the most gunner of all the ucs. While interview days can be helpful, not all of them can reveal these types of details. Again my opinion is based on stories from others, but I do hear them a lot. So my vote goes to ucla.

I went to UCSD. I worked hard and got great training as a result. I don't think there is anything gunnerish about the institution itself, or even the students. There is an understanding here that superior training comes from extra effort, and being lazy and "cruising" is not tolerated in the way that it was where I did my internship (UC Irvine).

I think UCSD and San Diego are great and I am now a happy resident here.

I will note that the concept of "no internal ranking" is deceiving because every school will indicate where you stand in your MSPE (aka Dean's Letter) relative to your peers through the use of a "magic adjective" that pretty much corresponds to class rank. I heard from a UCLA grad that although the clinical rotations do not have "honors," they have "letters of commendation" (or something like that) which are understood by everyone to be the equivalent. I think UCLA has AOA as well; UCSD does not.

it seems you already want to go to UCSD. But since you still seem a bit confused why not go for second look weekends for both? I know UCLA does a better job selling itself then than during interview day.

As someone who has interviewed at both programs, I would choose UCSD over UCLA. Perhaps without the curriculum overhaul at UCSD I'd be the other way around. But now that the game has changed, UCSD will have an integrated curriculum, be P/F years 1 and 2, and students will have 4 out of 5 afternoons free. Also, they're breaking ground on a new med school building with a simulation center that will be finished around the beginning of M2 for the c/o 2014. I do like that UCLA offers a similar amount of free time and they have the planned redundancy in their curriculum, but I'm a bit skeptical of not having clinical grades.

What was really disappointing about UCLA was that they were my ONLY interview (out of 11) where one of the deans didn't give some type of presentation or talk to the interviewees. Also, the admissions office seems terribly disorganized. My overall impression was that the administration at UCLA is abysmal. Whether or not this plays out for the med students may be a slightly different story, but I'm sure my impression is, at the very least, partially accurate. UCSD, on the other hand, had one of the friendliest staffs and an incredibly enthusiastic and active administration.

Finally, a few points about UCSD that I personally liked:
-research collaborations with biotech/pharma in San Diego
-scholarly project
-MPH options at SDSU, Berkeley and Harvard
-the three student-run free clinics
-Dean Kelly
-3 PhD-level full-time tutors/academic support staff
-tons of interesting electives

I think you're gut's important, but it's more important to make a pros and cons list of both schools and go to the revisit weekends. Certainly take the opinions of people who have neither interviewed nor attended with a grain of salt. See what the gung-ho UCLA and UCSD med students say and see whose sentiments you share.

Good luck with your decision and congrats!

What a pleasant dilemma to have. I would personally choose UCLA, but like others have said, you really can't go wrong with either one. What a nice little problem to have, though that's for sure.

I might be in a similar predicament when I hear back from LA... Although I didn't go to UCSD undergrad, I grew up in SD and I am working there now doing research. Come interview day, the fact that I've been around UCSD so much kind of took the magic out of it, whereas interviewing at LA was new and exciting. I've been trying to work out whether this means my "gut feeling" was that I'd be more excited about LA than SD or not and its pretty tough to compare. Both are excellent schools, here are the differences I'm considering:

Curriculum: less of a big deal with the changes at SD; however, you will be the first class on the new one so it might not be without kinks, whereas LA has been doing it for a while now and it might be more seamless.

Location: SD wins hands down, especially if you are a surfer, unless you like bigger city living. SD has a lot less traffic, no smog, La Jolla >> Westwood.

Prestige: In the general population people know UCLA's name, whereas outside of SD/socal, UCSD not so much. Among medical/academic circles the difference lessens...

Facilities/hospitals: UCSD's major teaching hospital is about 15/20 mins away from the main campus, whereas i think UCLA is a bit more centralized? not 100% on this. Ronald Regan is amazing.. but so are Thornton, Moores Cancer Center at UCSD.

Tough, but good choice to have.

In the past, most people would have told you UCLA for the overall environment. Now, though, with the changes you described occurring at UCSD, it's pretty much a toss up. Go to the school that impressed you more, or had the better campus, or whatever. It's not going to matter a whole lot in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
great choices!
Look into for UCLA how flexible they are about letting you take time off for residency interviews. Do they limit you on # of iview you can go on? What i know about ucla/ucsd is so outdated, that I cant say facts.
Calif is home tho and will always have a special place for me. but i'm no longer a cali resident, and may not be qualified enough for those schools...

Don't just the school based on your interview-day-impression.

doesnt ucsd give like 2 weeks for step 1 studying while ucla gives over a month?

doesnt ucsd give like 2 weeks for step 1 studying while ucla gives over a month?

That rumor is still going around? It was outdated when I applied to med school in 2003.

I don't know what it is now but when I took Step I years ago we got 4 weeks. I used less than 2 and used the rest for vacation.

Hi all, thanks so much for responding. I agree with longhorn that I really shouldn't be judging the school based on my interview impressions - the only thing I'm scared of is that it's the reflection of the student - faculty interaction. I'm hoping that med school at UCLA is far different from undergrad at UCLA because the faculty-student interaction throughout the past 5 years was pretty much nonexistent except for a few times when you hauled yourself out to go pester your professors (which I feel bad doing but it seems to be the only way to catch the attention of some of them).

For students currenlty attending UCLA and UCSD if you're out there reading this thread - how's the faculty/staff interactions with students at either schools? UCSD seems to present themselves as very supportive and responsive - does this continue to hold? For UCLA, how is it like because I can't tell much from the interview day or from any info (or lack thereof) that they gave me during that day.

the interview day experience and the day to day happenings of being a med student at UCLA couldn't. be. any. more. different. The interview day at UCLA is notorious for sending a poor message. The School knows this and has taken steps this year to correct some of the shortcomings.....even running a pilot admissions presentation/lunch/tour/etc. with an interview group. Come to the second look day and see how complllllllllllllllltely different the experiences are. UCLA spends $$$$$$$$$$ on its students. If you got a chance to see the new Learning Resource Center (and Ronald Reagan Hospital) then you know what I mean.

It's probably cheezy to say but I can't imagine another med school being as accomdating at UCLA is to its students. The administration from the deans to the staff are incredibly friendly, patient, and helpful.

All that being said you definitely want to be at a place that you are comfortable with. UCSD and UCLA are great opportunities and I got the (superficial) sense from your posts that UCSD may be more comfortable with you. UCLA undergrads do make up the largest contingent of colleges among the MS1s.....so kids definitely stick around.

As for the faculty, UCLA requires its students to review/rate the profs once their teaching assignments have been completed. In fact, if you don't rate the profs you can't pass the block. So what each successive entering class gets are the highest rated profs requires the previous year. By in large, the quality of the teaching/presentations is excellent. So student input goes directly into who ends up teaching the material.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when second look/revisits are for UCLA and UCSD?

Does anyone know when second look/revisits are for UCLA and UCSD?

Here is part of an email I recieved from admissions, which leads me to think 2nd look day will be April 10th:

Please mark your calendar for April 10th (it will be the recruitment event at UCLA)

We are also required to rate our professors at UCSD. In addition, we have committee members for each one of our classes, and they actually do sit in with the faculty to discuss issues we have or things that we like.

I have never once felt the sting of competition here at UCSD. And I don't know if you can really judge the school by the interview day, but really, unless if you've gone to all the schools, you don't really know what any of them are like. That being said, I felt extremely at home during my interview day at UCSD and that feeling is still here half way through the year. The fact that the students care so much about the school that they volunteer their time to take students around campus for the lunch tour and out to dinner for the free clinic tour just spoke volumes to me.

I can't speak for other schools, but as for UCSD, the environment here is just amazingly supportive and cohesive.

the interview day experience and the day to day happenings of being a med student at UCLA couldn't. be. any. more. different. The interview day at UCLA is notorious for sending a poor message. The School knows this and has taken steps this year to correct some of the shortcomings.....even running a pilot admissions presentation/lunch/tour/etc. with an interview group. Come to the second look day and see how complllllllllllllllltely different the experiences are. UCLA spends $$$$$$$$$$ on its students. If you got a chance to see the new Learning Resource Center (and Ronald Reagan Hospital) then you know what I mean.

It's probably cheezy to say but I can't imagine another med school being as accomdating at UCLA is to its students. The administration from the deans to the staff are incredibly friendly, patient, and helpful.

All that being said you definitely want to be at a place that you are comfortable with. UCSD and UCLA are great opportunities and I got the (superficial) sense from your posts that UCSD may be more comfortable with you. UCLA undergrads do make up the largest contingent of colleges among the MS1s.....so kids definitely stick around.

As for the faculty, UCLA requires its students to review/rate the profs once their teaching assignments have been completed. In fact, if you don't rate the profs you can't pass the block. So what each successive entering class gets are the highest rated profs requires the previous year. By in large, the quality of the teaching/presentations is excellent. So student input goes directly into who ends up teaching the material.

UCLA offers a much more metropolitan/busy scene than UCSD. However, for undergrad, it shouldn't matter. Any UC at all is worth the bang for your bucks.

I'd only dissuade you so I could have your spot ;p

Dean Kelly is cool.

Hey Guys,

I'm a first year at UCLA and I'll be at second look this weekend. I absolutely love it here and I can't imagine going to another school :-(. That said, UCSD is also a great choice. I would be worried about guinnea pigging a new curriculum at UCSD but it shouldnt be TOO big a concern since theyve been holding it down for years. Anyway, based on what I've heard, youll have more free time at UCLA, and free time is EVERYTHING in med school. Anyway, feel free to message me and or talk to me at second look. I give the best advice in the world :)

Hey Guys,

I'm a first year at UCLA and I'll be at second look this weekend. I absolutely love it here and I can't imagine going to another school :-(. That said, UCSD is also a great choice. I would be worried about guinnea pigging a new curriculum at UCSD but it shouldnt be TOO big a concern since theyve been holding it down for years. Anyway, based on what I've heard, youll have more free time at UCLA, and free time is EVERYTHING in med school. Anyway, feel free to message me and or talk to me at second look. I give the best advice in the world :)

Am I free to massage you too?

Hey confusedchild!

Did you end up attending second look for both schools? I went to both and must say that I am now more torn than ever! I liked both but for different reasons: UCLA for its curriculum and the chance to do rotations at Ronald Reagan and UCSD for how close-knit all the students and faculty seemed. I'm sure there are others who went to both. What did you guys think?

I am also in the same vote... UCLA or UCSD...

I fell in love with UCSD at interview day. I was totally turned off by UCLA at interview day. Then I went to recruitment day at UCLA. I was blown away.

I am not sure why UCLA has such a terrible interview day. I actually mentioned it to the admissions office. They said that they would like student input on how to make it better next year. I personally just feel like they save their energy money and time on interview day so that they can put more effort into an extremely convincing recruitment day...

Did you go to the recruitment day? It was perfect...

The change in curriculum at UCSD is my major turn off... I know friends who started at different medical schools during their first year of altered curriculum. For some of them it went fine. For some of them it was a nightmare. I have heard horror stories about student who didn't even have their curriculum planned out until the week before... That being said, UCSD is a very reputable program, and if anyone is going to make a clean conversion to a new program, it will most likely be them.

For me, I would rather live in San Diego. But it is too big of a risk for me to be a Guinea pig at UCSD... UCLA here I come!! If location is a problem, just rent in santa monica. Not quite as quaint as SD, but a more quiet atmosphere than westwood/LA...

Hope to see you at UCLA!!!

I would go to UCLA in a heartbeat. Not b/c it screams prestige, but that UCLA has everything that UCSD has, except more....

I like the location more, it's regarded as the better school, it's not as research intensive as UCSD can be (although the same opportunities are there), seems like the kids are less cut throat, etc.

I would go with UCLA if I were you.

I am also in the same vote... UCLA or UCSD...

I fell in love with UCSD at interview day. I was totally turned off by UCLA at interview day. Then I went to recruitment day at UCLA. I was blown away.

I am not sure why UCLA has such a terrible interview day. I actually mentioned it to the admissions office. They said that they would like student input on how to make it better next year. I personally just feel like they save their energy money and time on interview day so that they can put more effort into an extremely convincing recruitment day...

Did you go to the recruitment day? It was perfect...

The change in curriculum at UCSD is my major turn off... I know friends who started at different medical schools during their first year of altered curriculum. For some of them it went fine. For some of them it was a nightmare. I have heard horror stories about student who didn't even have their curriculum planned out until the week before... That being said, UCSD is a very reputable program, and if anyone is going to make a clean conversion to a new program, it will most likely be them.

For me, I would rather live in San Diego. But it is too big of a risk for me to be a Guinea pig at UCSD... UCLA here I come!! If location is a problem, just rent in santa monica. Not quite as quaint as SD, but a more quiet atmosphere than westwood/LA...

Hope to see you at UCLA!!!

I went to both revisit weekends actually and loved both of them for different reasons. I liked getting to know the curriculum at UCLA and hearing the perspectives of the current medical students. Also met some very wonderful second-lookers that day too, but felt that the second-lookers as a whole at UCSD just seemed a lot more outgoing. It could be biased though since we had two days at UCSD and everyone probably had a better chance to know each other while getting liquored up on Friday night :) I felt that second-lookers at UCLA were a lot less outgoing overall, not an impression I had while there but in retrospect upon comparing to those I met at UCSD. I thought it was just me but I met a couple of other people at UCSD who went to both recruitment events as well who also mentioned something similar. Did you go to both and did you get this feeling at all? I'm personally more of a city girl myself so in this aspect UCLA has an advantage over UCSD even though La Jolla is absolutely gorgeous :D

I would go to UCLA in a heartbeat. Not b/c it screams prestige, but that UCLA has everything that UCSD has, except more....

I like the location more, it's regarded as the better school, it's not as research intensive as UCSD can be (although the same opportunities are there), seems like the kids are less cut throat, etc.

I would go with UCLA if I were you.

I would say I like the location more at UCLA and agree that it is generally regarded as a better school but I definitely don't think the students there are cut-throat (at least not anymore). A lot of the current medical students actually made a point of addressing and dispelling that particular concern by saying that it might have been that way a few years ago but that admissions has been very good about not choosing those who seem like gunners for the past couple of years. They all seemed very happy :D None of the students at either institution seemed to be particularly cut throat which was great in my opinion! And thanks for the input since every little bit helps :)

congrats on both acceptances!!!!! i would go with UCLA!! :D

I actually didn't get the chance to go to the recruitment day at UCSD... I had been leaning towards UCLA and was only at recruitment day to see if there was a reason for me to take a deeper look into UCSD. Which I didn't find at recruitment day. Only found a hundred reasons to go to UCLA.

In terms of a UCLA being a Gunner School... Def. Not! Very collaborative learning environment. I spoke with many 1-4 yr med students and no one ever suggested it to be anything like a "Gunner School."

Although I have already decided UCLA, I was wondering what other people's opinions were on the risk of starting at UCSD with a new curriculum. Seems quite risky for me...

What impression did you get form 2nd look day?

Although I have already decided UCLA, I was wondering what other people's opinions were on the risk of starting at UCSD with a new curriculum. Seems quite risky for me...

i'm also curious to know

I was also a bit concerned about starting with a new curriculum, but I feel that if any school would be able to do this with a good measure of success it would be UCSD. It seems the plans for the new curriculum have been around for quite some time and just kept getting pushed back because the people planning it felt it wasn't ready yet. The deans and some current medical students said that they felt it was a necessary change and definitely one for the better -especially the new P/F grading system. Current second years won't get the new curriculum but will also be graded P/F starting next year. Not many people I spoke with at second look seemed particularly worried about it and most actually seemed pretty enthusiastic about starting with something new. Someone mentioned that she heard it was largely based off of the current system at UCLA, this was from a fellow 2nd looker so maybe take it with a grain of salt, so perhaps what we would get at either school won't be all that different. I would still anticipate a few kinks along the way, but I don't think it should be too bumpy a transition for the school since so much planning has gone in to it. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :)

I was also a bit concerned about starting with a new curriculum, but I feel that if any school would be able to do this with a good measure of success it would be UCSD. It seems the plans for the new curriculum have been around for quite some time and just kept getting pushed back because the people planning it felt it wasn't ready yet. The deans and some current medical students said that they felt it was a necessary change and definitely one for the better -especially the new P/F grading system. Current second years won't get the new curriculum but will also be graded P/F starting next year. Not many people I spoke with at second look seemed particularly worried about it and most actually seemed pretty enthusiastic about starting with something new. Someone mentioned that she heard it was largely based off of the current system at UCLA, this was from a fellow 2nd looker so maybe take it with a grain of salt, so perhaps what we would get at either school won't be all that different. I would still anticipate a few kinks along the way, but I don't think it should be too bumpy a transition for the school since so much planning has gone in to it. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :)

You mean current first years...like me! ALL of us will still be graded on an H/P/F system for 3rd and 4th year.

And yes, please take what that 2nd looker said regarding the new UCSD curriculum essentially emulating UCLA's. It is strikingly different! And in fact the only real similarity it that it is much more predicated on a small group organ based presentation with PBL. That curriculum organization is being used by a number of schools now.

Best of luck wherever you decided to go! Enjoy your summer!

You mean current first years...like me! ALL of us will still be graded on an H/P/F system for 3rd and 4th year.

And yes, please take what that 2nd looker said regarding the new UCSD curriculum essentially emulating UCLA's. It is strikingly different! And in fact the only real similarity it that it is much more predicated on a small group organ based presentation with PBL. That curriculum organization is being used by a number of schools now.

Best of luck wherever you decided to go! Enjoy your summer!

Oops....yes current 1st years is what I meant :oops: And thanks for your input :D

Hey confusedchild!

Did you end up attending second look for both schools? I went to both and must say that I am now more torn than ever! I liked both but for different reasons: UCLA for its curriculum and the chance to do rotations at Ronald Reagan and UCSD for how close-knit all the students and faculty seemed. I'm sure there are others who went to both. What did you guys think?

Hey...sorry I haven't posted on my own thread in such a long time. I've since graduated and been pretty out of the loop with regards to academics/student doctor network and stuff. I've actually made my decision and that is to attend UCLA. I did in fact go to the second look for UCLA and was quite impressed with how the curriculum is set up and how everything is weaved together, the anatomy, histology, PBL, doctoring, etc. I was impressed with how they do try hard to train us in different skill sets but keeping in mind that its difficult to be bouncing back and forth between gross anatomy, biochem, genetics and stuff, so I really liked how there is a central theme to everything and that all parts of the curriculum address that central theme (for the second look it was pulmonary inflictions)...

I actually did not attend UCSD second look for a number of reasons, and sad to say, one of them was because I did not want to be in a dilemma any longer. It is true that when I made this post I leaned very strongly towards UCSD because UCSD as a whole defined so much of my medical application experience. It was the interview I walked out smiling the most, the first acceptance I got where my roommates jumped on me and kept screaming UCSD! UCSD! and how I called my mom and she squealed on the phone in excitement. Even when I got into UCLA, I told myself it was UCSD for sure. I started looking into UCLA seriously because my parents started pushing harder and harder for UCLA, wanting me to give it a chance, and also because they really want me close to home (not that UCSD is that much further). I have a brother in medical school in the East Coast and both my parents are near retirement age - it's not so much that I get to see them very often but just that fact that they have one child nearby is a comfort to them emotionally. They've supported me all this way to medical school, I wanted to take their considerations and recommendations seriously, so I looked into UCLA and found many positive things about it. I have many reasons to have chosen UCLA over SD and I guess I can list them below in the order of how much weigh I placed on them.
1. parents' desires to have me close by
2. the curriculum, how everything is so well weaved together and how they've been using this system for so long
3. less class time, more independent study/time, you can more easily plan your own schedules
4. the lifestyle, the ease of access to everything from K-town to great shopping/restaurants, etc
5. P/F all four years

Even though I have made a choice, I sometimes look back to UCSD and reminisce on how much it defined my interview and medical application experience. I wish I could attend both ~ I really do and sending that letter to Brain to withdrawal my acceptance took me over a week after I already made my final decision to attend UCLA. I had it drafted, saved in my gmail but couldn't click the send button for the longest time. No matter what, UCSD will always have a special place in my heart and I wish I could thank them or be a part of them in some way...

Last edited:
Same vote as you. See you at UCLA... Congrats on the decision! Maybe residency at SD...???

Hey...sorry I haven't posted on my own thread in such a long time. I've since graduated and been pretty out of the loop with regards to academics/student doctor network and stuff. I've actually made my decision and that is to attend UCLA. I did in fact go to the second look for UCLA and was quite impressed with how the curriculum is set up and how everything is weaved together, the anatomy, histology, PBL, doctoring, etc. I was impressed with how they do try hard to train us in different skill sets but keeping in mind that its difficult to be bouncing back and forth between gross anatomy, biochem, genetics and stuff, so I really liked how there is a central theme to everything and that all parts of the curriculum address that central theme (for the second look it was pulmonary inflictions)...

I actually did not attend UCSD second look for a number of reasons, and sad to say, one of them was because I did not want to be in a dilemma any longer. It is true that when I made this post I leaned very strongly towards UCSD because UCSD as a whole defined so much of my medical application experience. It was the interview I walked out smiling the most, the first acceptance I got where my roommates jumped on me and kept screaming UCSD! UCSD! and how I called my mom and she squealed on the phone in excitement. Even when I got into UCLA, I told myself it was UCSD for sure. I started looking into UCLA seriously because my parents started pushing harder and harder for UCLA, wanting me to give it a chance, and also because they really want me close to home (not that UCSD is that much further). I have a brother in medical school in the East Coast and both my parents are near retirement age - it's not so much that I get to see them very often but just that fact that they have one child nearby is a comfort to them emotionally. They've supported me all this way to medical school, I wanted to take their considerations and recommendations seriously, so I looked into UCLA and found many positive things about it. I have many reasons to have chosen UCLA over SD and I guess I can list them below in the order of how much weigh I placed on them.
1. parents' desires to have me close by
2. the curriculum, how everything is so well weaved together and how they've been using this system for so long
3. less class time, more independent study/time, you can more easily plan your own schedules
4. the lifestyle, the ease of access to everything from K-town to great shopping/restaurants, etc
5. P/F all four years

Even though I have made a choice, I sometimes look back to UCSD and reminisce on how much it defined my interview and medical application experience. I wish I could attend both ~ I really do and sending that letter to Brain to withdrawal my acceptance took me over a week after I already made my final decision to attend UCLA. I had it drafted, saved in my gmail but couldn't click the send button for the longest time. No matter what, UCSD will always have a special place in my heart and I wish I could thank them or be a part of them in some way...

congrats on your decision! UCLA is an awesome school.

Just remember that even though you do have P/F all four years UCLA will rank you. Having that system during 3rd and 4th year may not necessarily be a blessing. Nevertheless, you made an awesome choice that was right FOR YOU...and that is all that counts!

best of luck next year! and please please please enjoy your summer :D

Reading through this thread the consensus seems to be more or less UCLA. But, if UCSD gave you 4.25K/year more than UCLA in scholarships would you change your mind? Another factor I was taking into consideration is the difference in housing costs during the first 2 years. I'm not too sure about the differences in housing expenses during 3rd and 4th year. Going through grad housing UCSD would save you about $500 a month. If you live there all 24 months of the first 2 years, than this would be a extra 12K.

If you take this into consideration, this is a saving of 29K over the 4 years. Any thoughts?

Reading through this thread the consensus seems to be more or less UCLA. But, if UCSD gave you 4.25K/year more than UCLA in scholarships would you change your mind? Another factor I was taking into consideration is the difference in housing costs during the first 2 years. I'm not too sure about the differences in housing expenses during 3rd and 4th year. Going through grad housing UCSD would save you about $500 a month. If you live there all 24 months of the first 2 years, than this would be a extra 12K.

If you take this into consideration, this is a saving of 29K over the 4 years. Any thoughts?

if all else is the same, of course save yourself that 29k. that said, 29k would not be enough to dissuade me personally from going to the school i prefer. how much that amount is worth to you (and the difference you feel between sd and la) is totally individual-based and up to you.

29K definitely is not that much in this situation and if you are in any way leaning toward UCLA, then I would definitely go there. It is a great opportunity that I wish I had too! Considering the field that you are going into, ~29K in money shouldn't be the defining factor in where you should go. More of the what kind of education you will get (UCLA having the established curriculum vs. new guinea pig students at UCSD), where you feel you will be happier, what kind of hospitals you want to rotate through (Cedars Sinai, Ronald Reagen), etc. I think for these elements, UCLA would be the much better choice. Now if a 50% tuition scholarship or 100K was thrown at you, then I would think money would be a much bigger issue.

if you liked ucla way more than ucsd, then dont care about the money and choose ucla. if there wasnt much of a diff and u liked both schools...then it would be nice to save 29K.

meh 29k isnt that great, if it was closer to 50+ then id say UCSD. Id go ucla over ucsd in that case. but if you were learning toward ucsd then by all means that only sweetens the pot. For me its more about UCLA is right next to my family, and makes everything the easiest for my family. Therefore its one of the more attractive schools. You cant go wrong either way and prestige wise, both schools are similar so just go whereever you think you will love the most. For someone people thats UCSD. For me personally thats UCLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.