2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this year's questions, @NormalUsername42

2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen) Secondary Essay Prompts: **A word to the wise - they are serious about their deadline to return your secondary app! Get it in before the deadline or the portal will block you out.**

1. At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

2. Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

• A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)
  • B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)
  • C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)
3. Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)

If you answer yes to this question,

4. Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare?
then you also have this prompt:
-Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
btw UCLA has office hours for admissions every wednesday that are SUPER helpful!!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, no one else has posted the rest.

Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)
is this it, or are they the same long list of prompts as last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received.

here is the first prompt:

At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions?

What do you think they mean by "missions"

I'm probably overthinking it, any help?
In this case it is probably like a calling. Ie your societal mission could be global health equity or sexual assault awareness.

Also I saw you posted their other secondaries, which if that is it, then they have changed a lot since last year.

Did they not ask:

Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 Char)

Please list any major paid work experience during or since college. (4000 characters per work experience)

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 Char)

What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 Char)

Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 Char)

Has there been, or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 characters to explain if yes)

Reactions: 2 users

Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)
maybe they mean, "what is your main theme" like main mission or main goal you want to achieve as a physician??

Secondary received.

here is the first prompt:

At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions?

What do you think they mean by "missions"

I'm probably overthinking it, any help?

Missions I would interpret as what are your motivations and goals towards community health (societal). Also what's the character limit for this prompt?

If anyone who has an IA gets a secondary, can you please post here? I've heard several people online share their experiences with getting screened out due to having an IA, and I want to see if that's still happening this year.

Reactions: 1 user

What's the word/character count for the first prompt?

all prompts are 800 characters
In this case it is probably like a calling. Ie your societal mission could be global health equity or sexual assault awareness.

Also I saw you posted their other secondaries, which if that is it, then they have changed a lot since last year.

Did they not ask:

Where do you see yourself post-graduate education? What experiences have led you to this goal? (500 Char)

Please list any major paid work experience during or since college. (4000 characters per work experience)

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (500 Char)

What is the one most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (300 Char)

Describe your involvement in the one most important non-academic activity in your life. (800 Char)

Has there been, or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (300 characters to explain if yes)

So none of the old prompts listed above were included?

Hi! I’m sorry would someone mind posting all of the prompts together in one post? I’m a little confused on what the prompts are for this year.

Reactions: 4 users
If anyone who has an IA gets a secondary, can you please post here? I've heard several people online share their experiences with getting screened out due to having an IA, and I want to see if that's still happening this year.
I have heard if you e-mail and call them for a trivial IA, you can force a manual review of your application and get the secondary. Blanket IA screening is almost 100% an electronic screen.

I have heard if you e-mail and call them for a trivial IA, you can force a manual review of your application and get the secondary. Blanket IA screening is almost 100% an electronic screen.
Oh, hmm. Do you have any more details? Should I both email and call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, hmm. Do you have any more details? Should I both email and call?
I would do both once OOS secondaries start rolling out in the next week or two. Be persistent.

Seconding what a responder above said – what are the actual prompts for this year??

Today i got an email that my primary was received. I've been verified since 6/25.

Reactions: 10 users
OOS MSTP secondary received!

Prompts please :) I'm a bit confused by the other posts here
Seconding what a responder above said – what are the actual prompts for this year??
Here are the regular MD prompts:

• At the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, students are provided with curriculum and experiences enabling them to become an "Outstanding Physician, AND...," dedicating themselves to important societal missions. What missions do you want to embrace? What have you done toward your missions? (800 characters)

• Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
    • A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)
    • B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)
    • C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

• Describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your pathway to medical school. Include any academic, personal, financial or professional barriers, as well as other relevant information. (800 characters)

If you answer yes to this question,
Do you identify as being part of a group that has been marginalized (examples include, but are not limited to, LGBTQIA, disabilities, federally recognized tribe) in terms of access to education or healthcare?
then you also have this prompt:

• Describe how this inequity has impacted you or your community and how educational disparity, health disparity and/or marginalization has impacted you and your community. (800 characters)
@wysdoc, @Determinedderm , @proteinfolder

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know how many applicants or what % get a secondary at UCLA?

no secondary yet, only the primary received email. for reference I got UCSD and UCD immediately

This is only a speculation, but when I applied during my first cycle when I got screened out, I did not even get the primary received email.
This year I improved my app and I got the primary received email.

Let's see how it unfolds 🤷‍♂️

no secondary yet, only the primary received email. for reference I got UCSD and UCD immediately
I received UCSD as well but no UCD. I am MSTP for Davis though so that might be the cause.

Yeah MSTP is weird. Are you MSTP for UCLA too?

Not mad, La Jolla > Westwood anyways!
Correct. Only 1 UCLA MSTP secondary reported, I am not too worried about it, still have a backlog of 3 secondaries to fill out lol

If anybody with high stats and an IA receives a secondary, let us know! Hoping that UCLA gives our applications a look, even if it's later in to the cycle.

+N for 'primary received' but no secondary. Hoping they're sending (e: secondaries) to MSTP applicants first?

+N for 'primary received' but no secondary. Hoping they're sending (e: secondaries) to MSTP applicants first?
Am high stats OOS MSTP and haven’t received.

Last edited:
IS received "primary received" notification but not secondary

Does someone have the heart to post the secondary prompts?

Am high stats OOS MSTP and haven’t received.
High stats IS and haven't received either. Pretty sure it's the IA screen. Last year, a few IA's got secondaries around September, but none before

High stats IS and haven't received either. Pretty sure it's the IA screen. Last year, a few IA's got secondaries around September, but none before
I will E-mail them in a few weeks once I am caught up on everything else to ask for a manual screen. I have a competitive application and don't want a stupid/petty IA to hold me back. Particularly as an MStP applicant.