2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-ii R. Interviewed first day and killed the interview with a very high up interviewer saying that they would no doubt see me in the fall. Brutal but at least now I know. Congrats to all of those that have been accepted! DGSOM is awesome :)
very similar situation... my interviewer asked me when i was going to pack my bags and move to LA.... just sucks bc clearly our interviewers have very little say, but it feels so good and promising in the moment

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Got the R. Guess that wraps up my cycle. Congratulations to everyone who got the A!

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-ii R. Interviewed first day and killed the interview with a very high up interviewer saying that they would no doubt see me in the fall. Brutal but at least now I know. Congrats to all of those that have been accepted! DGSOM is awesome :)
Same here super bummed. How do I roll back 2022 this year is sucking. Grats to all accepted!

• Care
Hi! Random q - does anyone have an example MS1 schedule? I can't seem to find any posts on here/reddit and just curious.

Hi! Random q - does anyone have an example MS1 schedule? I can't seem to find any posts on here/reddit and just curious.
If you're looking for a sample week schedule, I think someone posted it in the 2026 FB group.

If you're looking for a sample week schedule, I think someone posted it in the 2026 FB group.
Out of curiosity, is the weekly scheduled largely jammed pack with lectures/clinical activities from 8-5? Wondering due to the accelerated pre-clerkship!

I figure this is probably a no, but do applicants who are post-II rejected get any feedback?

Members don't see this ad :)
I attend the financial aid webinar today. It was recorded and will be shared, but here are some tidbits for anyone interested :)
  • Geffen and LA Cares call start next week
  • PAL will start coming out this weekend for folks who have submitted all of their documentation. PALs will NOT reflect merit aid; so if you get a scholarship, you'll get an updated letter.
  • Folks who submitted noncustodial parent paperwork might not get a PAL this week :( @mdchaser @lostmed

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, is the weekly scheduled largely jammed pack with lectures/clinical activities from 8-5? Wondering due to the accelerated pre-clerkship!
Not every day. It's surprisingly flexible, since lecture attendance is optional and the clinical experience is biweekly.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I attend the financial aid webinar today. It was recorded and will be shared, but here are some tidbits for anyone interested :)
  • Geffen and LA Cares call start next week
  • PAL will start coming out this weekend for folks who have submitted all of their documentation. PALs will NOT reflect merit aid; so if you get a scholarship, you'll get an updated letter.
  • Folks who submitted noncustodial parent paperwork might not get a PAL this week :( @mdchaser @lostmed
Fun fun 🥺

• Care
Had the exact same experience, first day interview with my interviewer saying that, "interviewing this early is a sign that you will be accepted, don't worry about that". Definitely brutal, this one hurt, but after nearly 6 months of waiting at least I have my answer.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! Back with a little update.
1) The bulk of the waitlist offers have been sent out, but there are still a few to be sent. The admissions office told me that if you haven't heard anything yet to keep hanging in there! They will be notifying everyone soon.
2) There has been a lot of frustration here with the financial aid process, and the FA office seemed really open to accepting feedback. I am planning to condense everyone's feedback/frustrations for the FA office, so if anyone wants to DM me specific grievances or comments--please do! If you are still currently having FA troubles, please make sure to attend the FA office hours to get any questions answered (DM me if you need the zoom link).
3) There is a screenshot of a typical weekly MS1 student schedule in the FB group, on the pinned thread of all the questions/answers. Since that particular week includes anatomy lab and the early authentic clinical experience (EACE), it looks a bit busier than most weeks--we don't have 8-5pm every day! And as someone said, lectures (things beginning with "Lec" on the screenshot) are optional--and they are conducted over zoom and in person, and are recorded.

Hopefully this was a little helpful! Let me know what other questions I can try and answer! I'm sorry for everyone who didn't get an admissions offer at DGSOM, but I know you all are destined to do amazing things elsewhere <3

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Post-II R today, interviewed in September as well. What a shame.

Has anyone heard back about the PAL yet? they said it will come out this weekend but I got nothing lmao

Has anyone gotten any of those full ride scholarships?

I ask because a FA officer asked to schedule a phone appt with me and I wanna make sure he’s not blowing smoke up my “arse”.

Financial aid is very important to me and because of my individual situation, it could mean the difference between going to med school and pursuing another career. Getting a merit scholarship will end any financial concerns I have about medical school.

I ask because a FA officer asked to schedule a phone appt with me and I wanna make sure he’s not blowing smoke up my “arse”.
i think they supposed to start making calls this week brodie.

i think they supposed to start making calls this week brodie.

I’ve heard three different things from three different ucla sources:

1. Mid-March
2. Second week of March
3. Approximately two weeks from now

Btw based on his response, he’s blowing smoke up my “arse”.

Ngl, I’m probably not going to be able to afford med school. I might need to look into another career.
Just curious, but do you not qualify for federal loans? Or are you an International student?

• Dislike
I’m an illegal immigrant. My experiences have therefore demonstrated that I’m barred from becoming a doctor.

My family members have almost died because they didn’t have access to medical care. Their doctors did not treat them well. Apparently med schools exist to perpetuate the creation of doctors that will treat this population with inhumane cruelty.
I'm very sorry that you have these obstacles before you. It certainly isn't fair and I meant no offense, was just curious. I sincerely hope you get the financial aid you need. My bad if my question was offensive or anything.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Too bad nothing is happening for me. Everything is so exhausting. I’m tired of fighting everything around me.
As someone who is a DACA recipient, I sympathize with you. I would reach out to the financial aid office and immediately tell them your concerns. I did that with the schools I was accepted to and they were straight up about how much aid you could expect. Look at the private loan options that require a citizen co-signer (Ascent funding comes to mind, if you are a Dream.US alumni, you can get a loan through them up to 300k COA and no co-signer needed).
This is not directed at you particularly, but anyone who has DACA, is undocumented, or an international student. Being a physician is a dream, particularly for people like us because it is something we all could not even aspire to in our home countries. But face the reality here. Yes you got into medical school (you obviously made a great plan for that) but did you never think about financing it? I don’t mean to sound indifferent to your feelings but medical school is a HUGE financial commitment, even more than a mortgage for many people.
My personal advice, reach out for help from the many resources available to the immigrant community. Stop feeling bad about your situation and do something about it.

Reactions: 9 users
I was feeling pretty bad before and I expected that applying to medical school would be “doing something about it”. I applied to in state California schools, private schools known for giving large scholarships and avoided medical schools that provided no financial resources (the vast, VAST majority of them).

If I had a long term future in the United States like most applicants on here, I would be MORE than happy to take out loans because I would have a practically guaranteed path to becoming an attending physician. Unfortunately, I don’t have a long term future in the US. DACA as a program is on its way out and it is very possible that I might wake up in the middle of residency suddenly without a work permit. I could also be detained or deported. In that situation, which is quite likely, I’m probably going to stop paying on my loans because why should I bother? It’s not like my creditor can just chase me down in another country. I thought that getting scholarships instead of loans would probably be best for all parties involved since there would be no chance of defaulting.

Also I AM ALLOWED to feel bad about my situation. I am allowed to make people uncomfortable if it means expressing the real me. It seems like people are okay with DACA recipients as long as they portray themselves as perfect human beings and role models. I am allowed to express the anguish I feel and the nonsensical reasons why I have to live this way.

Anyways, I’m meeting with a financial aid officer today and I will tell you what he says in case there are other DACA UCLA admits lurking here. I’m not expecting good news though.
I am so sorry you're going through this and you're 100% entitled to feel bad. I hope the Geffen or one of the big scholarships work out for you - there was DACA student who ran the dgsom2025 instagram story yesterday and received the Geffen so not all hope is lost! Perhaps you can reach out to him as I assume he might be a helpful resource. Wishing you the best!

I am so sorry you're going through this and you're 100% entitled to feel bad. I hope the Geffen or one of the big scholarships work out for you - there was DACA student who ran the dgsom2025 instagram story yesterday and received the Geffen so not all hope is lost! Perhaps you can reach out to him as I assume he might be a helpful resource. Wishing you the best!

Financial aid is very important to me and because of my individual situation, it could mean the difference between going to med school and pursuing another career. Getting a merit scholarship will end any financial concerns I have about medical school.
I also want to say that I hope you are a recipient of a full-ride scholarship. I applaud you for all the distance you have traveled. I am sure your family and friends are incredibly proud of you. You should also be proud of yourself. There are SO MANY obstacles to be ready to apply, and people take years doing it. You have an acceptance, which speaks volumes of the distance that you have traveled.

I know it feels really tough right now. Lean on your community, on the people who are on your team. Contact the financial aid offices, see if they can help. Ask again on/after April 15th, when people have narrowed down their school choices.

If you don't end up going to medical school, I am positive that you will be successful in your career. How could you not be? I refuse to believe that someone who has done as much as you would find themselves unable to uplift themselves and their community in whatever they choose to dedicate their lives to.

I have a few words from mentors that I have heard over the years that I would like to share with you:
1. Rejection is God's Protection --> Si Dios quiere (translates to a common Spanish saying "If God wants"
2. You already made the hardest choice, which was to dedicate your life to helping your community. The details come later. They will work themselves out.

*I did not have a SDN account and made one just now so that I could leave this comment. I am a first-gen Latina that could have easily been in your shoes, and I truly truly hope that things work out for you 🤞🏼

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
So how are we feeling about scholarship calls this week?
I messed up and went to last year’s thread and the first calls they made happened on a Saturday it appears but granted, that was the first week of March. I’m not sure what to expect, I just want to throw up lol.

I messed up and went to last year’s thread and the first calls they made happened on a Saturday it appears but granted, that was the first week of March. I’m not sure what to expect, I just want to throw up lol.

And here I thought my weekends were safe

Did anyone else just get an email to make a myUCLA account and submit a SIR/SLR?

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else just get an email to make a myUCLA account and submit a SIR/SLR?
Yep. Was worried for a moment because I did that a while ago. MyUCLA also says my fin aid forms haven't been received yet and that's worrisome.

Yep. Was worried for a moment because I did that a while ago. MyUCLA also says my fin aid forms haven't been received yet and that's worrisome.
I never got an email to do a myUCLA, which is scaring me. I did complete the FAFSA and institutional aid form. Was there anything else?

I never got an email to do a myUCLA, which is scaring me. I did complete the FAFSA and institutional aid form. Was there anything else?
This is my first time getting an email about it, as well. I know I did the offer acceptance on AMP/CYMS on time, and I got confirmation that they'd received all my financial aid items.

I don't know if there's anything else. I'm worried I'm missing/going to miss something!

I never got an email prior to today saying to set up myUCLA. But on the admitted students page (it was linked in an email granting me full access to the AMP) there's a checklist that mentioned setting up the myUCLA. I did that almost a month ago back in February. You just need your Bruin ID (found on the portal and in an email from financial aid) and you can set up the myUCLA that way.

Got a call for the Geffen scholarship… as a low-stat and low-income applicant I wasn’t expecting this at all. For future low-stat (<3.4 <510) applicants lurking this thread, nothing is impossible if you share your story and experiences well. I don’t believe I have an extremely unique story, but do have a long-standing commitment working with underserved communities. Manifesting amazing news for you all!🤞🏽

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 24 users
does this mean that regular Aid will be released as well?